PDA

View Full Version : Historical Movies who inspired Assassin's Creed series

caitalist
05-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Gladiator(2000):
At the end of movie, Maximus kill emperor Commodus by drives the blade into Commodus's throat, like many assasinations of templiers in games of AC series.
Maximus wearing a armour who inspired a Brutus Armour in AC: Brotherhood.

The Patriot (2000), a movie who inspire Assassins Creed 3
In the Battle of Cowpens, Benjamin dodges the attack and stabs Tavington to death, by drives the blade into colonel Tavington's throat.

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)-inspire Assassins Creed 1
In this movie, there are a templars, and the protagonist, Balian, has a behavior of assassin. His father was a member of a knight's group who confront the Order of Templars

French Revolution (1989)- Assassins Creed Unity

Pirates of Caribbean- Assassins Creed Black Flag

elnaser80
05-19-2017, 12:06 AM
That was smart :)

strigoi1958
05-19-2017, 01:17 AM
I do not think any movies inspired any AC games. Especially as none of them have a First Civ or modern day or animus :) But they are very good movies, and I like the way you link them together.

Famous people throughout history have appeared in books, movies animation and games.
So there are bound to be similarities.

The same goes for assassinations.
Before guns were invented, most assassinations were by a blade (usually a knife as they are easier to hide than a sword) or by poison.

Now firstly I apologise because although I love AC games, I do not know much about the first Civ or the modern day... to me they are just story, not game... so this is my (probably wrong) understanding of AC... (hopefully someone will correct my mistakes) :)

AC games are based on the story that an old civilisation (or a civilisation from another dimension) that was much more advanced than we are... has left an item (maybe more) The apple of Eden... that grants great power (and maybe knowledge) in order to bring peace to the world.

The Apple was first discovered in the times of the Crusades (11th or 12th century I don't know, I'm a gamer not a historian :) ). At that time there were Hashshashins (Assassins) and Knights Templar Crusaders. So I assume that the game is based on these 2 enemies having inner secret societies that split into the Assassins and the Templars.... who both knew about the Apple and wanted it for the same reason to bring peace to the world... but one side (Templars) wishes to do it by ruling the world while Assassins prefer to do it a different way.

Through the years, the 2 enemies fight as they both look to control the apple... which brings us to the modern day... In order to find the apple and solve any other mysteries that have been lost in time, the animus is made... (maybe based on first civ designs) and it allows us to travel back to live out the memories of our ancestors and influence the fights between Assassins and Templars....

So although many books and movies may have similar events, clothing, deaths and famous people.... unless they have a time machine and an ancient mysterious civilisation then I do not think they inspired AC.

The closest I think I have seen is the movie Source Code 2011 and you could say it was inspired by the animus from AC games :)

caitalist
05-19-2017, 08:31 PM
About of some replics from Eden, like Stave of Eden, Sword or the Shroud.....
On Assassins Creed wiki website, they said Stave of Eden passed into the hands of Moses and Saint Peter, popes like Rodrigo Borgia and Tsars like Nicholas II, destroyed at Tunguska Explosion

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Staves_of_Eden

At the ending of Quo Vadis movie (1951), appear the staff of Saint Peter as base of Catholic Curch, similar to staff of Moses from Ten Commandaments (1956).... same staff to be discovered in Assassins Creed 2.

In The Egyptian (1954), the Ankh is in the main focus (identified as primordial Cross, a simbol of Life), and the moment when Horemheb and Sinhue poisoned pharaoh Akhenaten is like the moments when the templars are killed by assassins and reveals their aspirations about the New World and their faith!
Like Akhenaten was a primordial Templar!

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Ankh

In the Attila (2001), the protagonist find a sword and become powerful.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Swords_of_Eden#Antiquity

In the Alexander the Great (1956) or in the Alexander (2004), Alexander reveals his vision in strange words about a united and multicultural world , like the templars wish!

In the Cleopatra (1963), the protagonist reveals her vision to Caesar and Anthony about a same goal- a united world, a multicultural empire in strange words.

And Xerxes too in The 300 Spartans (1962) and 300 (2006).....

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/New_World_Order

About the Shroud of Eden, is the movie dedicated to this- The Robe (1953). But in the Cleopatra movie (1963), after Phillipi battle, Mark Anthony put his robe on the Brutus corpse for honor him.........or in the AC universe, the shroud was put on the Brutus corpse to ressurect him.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Shrouds_of_Eden#Macedonia

Do the producers of classical historical movies want to suggest something?

Or the AC series was inspired by these movies?

Or, Akhenaten, Xerxes, Alexander, Cleopatra and Caesar were the primordial Templars? And Moses, Saint Peter and the other founders of christianity too ?

strigoi1958
05-19-2017, 11:26 PM
You have a great knowledge of movies, Assassin's Creed and history. I really like that post.

So, as you know that Assassin's Creed games AND the movies are loosely based on some historical times, some famous people and events.... there will be similarities but not necessarily inspiration.

It is like a teacher asking 20 students to write an essay about the life of Caesar... All of the essays will be set in the same time, all will use some of the same people and events...

They will all be an interpretation of the life of Caesar, they will all be similar, but the student who handed in the last essay was not inspired by the other 19 essays that were handed in before. They are all interpretations of ancient events, the same as the movies and AC games.

Plus as you probably know.. it is almost impossible to say how much of history is fact and how much is just popular stories handed down generation to generation until it was finally written down.. so movies, stories and games about some ancient history may not be based on fact, just a myth or story... that inspired someone to write them down centuries ago and we accept them as true. :)

Lignjoslav
05-23-2017, 12:51 AM
Not a film, but still, a piece of work that I think may be related to this topic is a book titled Alamut by Vladimir Bartol. Especially since Patrice Desilets said that that novel was an influence when the first Assassin's Creed was being conceived and that it was passed from one team member to another. Word of caution, it doesn't portray the Assassin's in quite the same light as the game series does, but it was a 100% confirmed influence on the game (one mention of it: link (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2007/oct/19/assassinscreedinterview)) and it is also a very good book (I have read it), so I recommend it if you can get your hands on it.

strigoi1958
05-23-2017, 01:34 AM
The Alamut is absolutely an inspiration for AC games, I think it even has the Assassin saying in the book "nothing is true, everything is permitted". That's an awesome find Lignjoslav

pirate1802
05-24-2017, 05:11 AM
Yes, the book actually starts with the quote "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." Rashid-ad-Din Sinan or as we know him; Al Mualim is in the book and Masyaf is mentioned as well. It's pretty much a direct inspiration for the videogames, although the Hashashins of the books are religious fanatics brainwashed into killing people in order to gain entry into heaven, and the antagonists are the Suljuk Turks in Iran, not the various crusader factions. It's a great book and not just because of its Assassin connections.

In the Alexander the Great (1956) or in the Alexander (2004), Alexander reveals his vision in strange words about a united and multicultural world , like the templars wish!

In the Cleopatra (1963), the protagonist reveals her vision to Caesar and Anthony about a same goal- a united world, a multicultural empire in strange words.

And Xerxes too in The 300 Spartans (1962) and 300 (2006).....

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/New_World_Order

Since when did the Templars become supporters of multiculturalism? They abhor anything that creates differences between people: religion, culture, empires, nationality. The games make a point of showing this again and again. Remember what Suleiman said in Assassins Creed Revelations? "The world is a tapestry of many colours and the Templars seek to unravel that."

And regarding a united world, both the Assassins and Templars seek a united world, atleast nominally. The difference is the Templars seek to enforce this unity from above through force and oppression. Assassins seek to achieve this from below through individual agency and inner realization. The assassin brotherhood itself, a group of people from all across the world and different barriers, united on their own volition, is an indicator of the type of world they want and how they want to do it. If they didn't want unity why would they unite themselves?

So a united and free (multicultural-multiethnic) world is actually the Assassin's wet dream. Templars want a united grey world with no difference between people whatsoever.