PDA

View Full Version : Promoting the map editor

Farcryisdead
05-18-2017, 11:22 AM
If far cry 5 includes a map editor here are a few things ubisoft could do to make it more appealing to a wider crowd.

- promote the map editor in every far cry 5 trailer, even if it's only 1/3 of the video time. in the past the map editor was an after thought in trailers and promotion videos.

- create an official far cry 5 map editor tips & tricks and live streams on youtube.

- promote the map editor as a fun & easy thing for players to use. it appears complex to most players (buts it's not)

- tap into the gold mine of customers from the minecraft crowd. minecraft players need to know they are missing out.

- create a dayz style mode in the editor. we all know the thirst for dayz on console

- ubisoft needs to have more faith in the map editor. ubisoft are like an oil drilling company thats unaware of a massive untapped oil (players) beneath them.

JakeyChappers
05-18-2017, 11:34 AM
The Day-z idea is brilliant. free-for-all on a huge map with tons of foliage and obstacles, hunting each other with bows and watching out for wildlife, Far Cry perfection

Farcryisdead
05-18-2017, 01:16 PM
The Day-z idea is brilliant. free-for-all on a huge map with tons of foliage and obstacles, hunting each other with bows and watching out for wildlife, Far Cry perfection

It would be a fun mode :)

ImGonaG3tUsucka
05-18-2017, 01:18 PM
I have been making maps since Far Cry instincts predator and I have a YouTube Channel that's​ dedicated to map editors. So if Farcry 5 has an editor. I will make videos of other mappers work. I will also do tips and tutorials. So if your new or old to the editor. Check out my channel The Lazy Mapper.
https://youtu.be/-lPShhO2Yt0

Farcryisdead
05-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Ubisoft could showcase the map editor in a live stream before release and take questions from the community.

ImGonaG3tUsucka
05-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Ubisoft could showcase the map editor in a live stream before release and take questions from the community.

Yeah that's a good idea. I hope they do something like that.

Fallen-Champ
05-18-2017, 07:54 PM
Ian Higton from Eurogamer did that (A livestream and answered questions) so did another guy from the States ImGonaG3tUsucka will know his name I think - just give those 2 pre release copies they will do as good a job as anyone.

HorTyS
05-18-2017, 07:54 PM
I agree they should promote the editor more than they have in the past. If you don't follow these games as closely as we do finding out the game had a map editor would've been a surprise to a lot of people. I do not however agree that there should be at least 1/3 of all trailer's runtime for the game focused on the map editor. They should make trailers specifically for it, and show/ mention it in trailers related to any potential multiplayer elements that would utilize the editor, but for trailers focused on the campaign or other elements, they shouldn't just cram "and we have a map editor!" in there randomly...

Steve64b
05-18-2017, 10:23 PM
So, for FC4 there are these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcSepjX9KbA
41K views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwGsqDkS1tg
50K views

I myself wasn't even aware of the map editing capabilities until a couple of years ago, and got the game when it was already old news. :P

I personally learned about the custom maps from watching other Youtubers' video's, and only found Ubisoft's tutorial later in my journey. Ironically while video's like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h6FBHEmyGg with 4.3M views pale the Ubisoft official ones in audience reached (millions of views over thousands for the 'official' Ubisoft ones), the quality of the levels shown didn't convince me. I'm afraid the 'mature' player base that want quality maps may be outnumbered here.

Farcryisdead
05-19-2017, 09:25 AM
The big problem is, the map editor info comes out too late/too close to release. info needs to come out early to build hype around this amazing feature. now imagine (would never happen) if call of duty had a map editor. activision would promote the hell out of it and hype would be huge. it's all about hype.

HorTyS
05-19-2017, 06:56 PM
The big problem is, the map editor info comes out too late/too close to release. info needs to come out early to build hype around this amazing feature. now imagine (would never happen) if call of duty had a map editor. activision would promote the hell out of it and hype would be huge. it's all about hype.

Unfortunately hype is what inevitably leads to disappointment. When something has a lot of hype behind it, that means there are alot of expectations generating that hype, and when those expectations aren't met, people sour on it and get frustrated. I agree that if there is a map editor it should be promoted early & more often than it has been in the past, but creating awareness is one thing, hyping it up and making claims for it that may or may not be met to the degree some people assume in order to generate hype is another... It sucks because its really the fault on the consumer end that is the problem, people hear something and can take it to mean something that wasn't intended and are disappointed when the truth is different than what they perceived it to be... see that happen all the time...

Farcryisdead
05-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Sorry for bumping this thread but it needs to stay in ubisofts view.

RaZoRFINNISH
05-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately hype is what inevitably leads to disappointment. When something has a lot of hype behind it, that means there are alot of expectations generating that hype, and when those expectations aren't met, people sour on it and get frustrated. I agree that if there is a map editor it should be promoted early & more often than it has been in the past, but creating awareness is one thing, hyping it up and making claims for it that may or may not be met to the degree some people assume in order to generate hype is another... It sucks because its really the fault on the consumer end that is the problem, people hear something and can take it to mean something that wasn't intended and are disappointed when the truth is different than what they perceived it to be... see that happen all the time...

Exactly, the problem is not promoting it but hyping it. The constant repeating of infinite, despite the toolset being barely any different from Far Cry 2, no options to configure objects on a per-instance basis and so on is far from infinite. So yes, you can theoretically have infinite amounts of generic maps that all behave the same, but in the end it is a very limited editor. I'd understand this spouting about infinite possibilities if it was actually on-par with the production editor.

The worst thing was being so secretive when the community asked them whether or not we will get to play custom maps in PvP again, I think it was confirmed not possible only a few days before release. Well, that's what they say- the framework was still there and intact, you could easily force the game to load the maps in PvP if you just placed spawn points and other required objects for said modes manually through a modification. I don't understand why they are holding it back every time. The only reason people did not play Far Cry 3 too much is it was awfully broken, even compared to Far Cry 2, the network code was even worse and the host migrations more often than not failed and ended up kicking pretty much everyone out of the game. Same story with Far Cry 4. I have never played a single Ubisoft game that gets networking correct, which is the major issue- it is either client-side hit registration with no (proper) server validation, or it is server hit detection only. Results in a horrible experience, especially on PC with the client-side only hit detection that just sends the server a message about the hit (see The Division).

But hey, at least we might get maps larger than 512x512 meters now that X360 / PS3 are no longer supported and they might have memory to spare, the 512x512 terrain takes a huge two megabytes of raw data (512*512*4 bytes for heightmap assuming it is single-precision floating point, might even be 16-bit unsigned integers with fixed step, 512*512*4 bytes for texture blending data)... Not that it wasn't possible before through editor modifications and some memory patching anyway. Far Cry 5 is honestly the last chance I'm giving to the series, after which I am no longer a customer if they continue on their path to destroying what made the series great in the first place.

AlexThePie
05-26-2017, 02:26 PM
What i would like to see in FC5 Map Editor (assuming it has one)

in a word FC2!

Physics (unlike fc3)

Somthing akin to the FC2 Diamond system so the custom games weapons evolved over time, (fc4s was terrible for this, silly and unballanced)

FC4s gliding suits

exploding stuff and fire!!

to be able to host my own maps (again unlike fc3)

maybe weapon jams if you pick up dead peoples wepaons

if you do map editor do it right and we will all love you foreverererer

Steve64b
05-26-2017, 02:37 PM
According to this source (https://raru.co.za/video-games/news/4226-far-cry-5-ps4-xbox-one-standard-and-gold-editions-now-on-pre-order-due-27-february-2018), the Map Editor should be there in Far Cry 5! :)

Canadian Beer42
05-27-2017, 06:18 PM
I don't know if you were able to do this in the previous editors, but you have to be able to customize your characters loadout and the enemies loadout. I don't mean you select pre-set set of weapons like in Far Cry 4. You should be able to choose which specific guns, the skins, and the optics/muzzle customizations.

TRASH85
07-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Maybe promote the your war DIY aspect and its free !!!! That'll get em !! I myself love the fact that its ground up editor Terran, weather, time of day and limitations onlly as deep as your amagination from star wars to sponge bob,all out war to a time trial its all up to you. YOU CAN USE THIS QUOTE UBI