PDA

View Full Version : Centurion, best hero ever? Sorry for the essay.

TricksterLoki12
05-18-2017, 01:06 AM
So just a little back story: I f***ing love this game. I have nearly 200 hours in multiplayer and have been here since launch. The game started out rough, but I bought it, so I figured I'd give it time to see if they fix it. SLOWLY but surely you did and the game has improved with every patch. I know now that you guys take your time and try to release a finished product in your patches, I see that every week in your Warrior Den streams. But the Centurion is broken. I've spent the last few months playing this game exclusively getting everything down and mastered on my Hero. I can 1v1 with the best and successfully fight multiple enemies often. I've even seen a stat site (not sure the site now) that has me ranked as top .1% of Zerkers. I'm telling you all of this to let you know that my opinion is rooted in some knowledge, in a plead for you to listen to me!

In my few hours of playing this game after season 2 launched I've noticed a few things, one is way more people have the season pass than I thought would (lol) and that most matches have 3-5 Centurions in them! I understand that they're new and everyone wants to test them out, but to my limited playtime experience I cannot say the same for The Shinobi: I would say that there's an average of 1 per game with with many matches not having any. This is, from my perspective a HUGE trend in favor of the Centurion. This could simply be because of my limited play time post patch but it most definitely will NOT get better when they are fully released. I currently see no point in anyone using Shukogi/LawBringer/Conq as the centurion has the best traits of all of these chars and then some.

I just want to briefly share my experience against the Centurion before I leave you with my message. Firstly fighting them in a group is impossible, you HAVE to dedicate all of your attention to him or you'll be on the ground before you know it. LET ALONE fighting two of them, I've tried to pick a fight with two just to see if I could dodge roll and get away, only to have him charge his heavy and hit me immediately after finishing the roll. Between the two of them beating me down with unblockables, I never regained control of my character. As for 1v1's I've had SOME success, but ONLY if either A) I get lucky enough to to be tracked down by a kick while the Centurion is on one leg 15 feet away or B) They still trying to figure out his move set. The tracking on the centurions is RIDICULOUS! From sliding on one leg to kick you in the chest to doing 360's with charged heavy's to hit me, (Seriously I dodged behind one after he missed his zone and he immediately went to his charge heavy, I dodged to his right as he started swinging to his left but he still just followed through and hit me.) dodging as your defense against them is UNRELIABLE at best and not feasible in any case .

I say all of this, not because I'm angry, not because of my KD plummeting, but because WE'VE ALL SEEN THIS BEFORE. The population of the game is nowhere near what it should be, because of the LONG delays between balance changes. I understand you guys want a finished product but this game WILL NOT last a 2-5 week period of having something so broken in it. I have been here since the beginning, I've learned how to overcome every gourmet platter of cheese that's been thrown at me, with a smile on my face. I'm not saying the Centurion is unbeatable, I'm not saying that having more on your team is an automatic victory but it IS broken and this game WON'T survive another lengthy patch process to nerf/fix him. The writing is on the wall on this one guys. Please fix him before the general release or disable him until you do. You guys want to do things right and I commend that, I really do. But please figure out how to suture this wound before your game bleeds out.

I'm not mad I don't mean to come across as angry or "salty" but to see how far this game has come, and where it is going....to take this big of a step back and have to potentially wait for the better part of a month to get back to where we were 3 days ago? I can't do that. I'm not playing until next week, if the problem persists or worsens after the full release I'm uninstalling it. I know it will get better, I know this game will become the best way for me to scratch that competitive itch, but I can't allow you to treat me like this as a customer .

TL:DR
Centurion is broken, and the game will not survive several weeks of his current unchecked BS.

ATBallZ88
05-18-2017, 01:38 AM
Okay I'm a little confused as to how exactly you're getting hit by spammed unblockables. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Centurion literally only has 3 unblockable attacks; the Legion Kick, the punch, and the charged heavy. The only "chain unblockable" is the guard break throw into the kick, which isn't even really a chained unblockable, it's an extension of the guardbreak throw to extend the stun duration to allow the centurion to follow up with his slow moving attacks. There is also an attack that seems unblockable, but it is essentially a version of the PK's guardbreak triple stab that carries the unblockable animation on the weapon even though it's really just a grab triple stab that has to be timed properly like the PK's grab.

The standing legion kick is a forward dash only technique, and is choreographed and slow enough to be sidestepped with little effort, leaving him wide open for counter attack.

The charged heavy is only unblockable if it is charged to maximum power, which is as slow as the shoguki charged heavy but the centurion doesn't benefit from the hyper armor the shoguki does so it leaves the centurion wide open to counter attack interrupt, or you can simply side-step like with the kick, leaving him wide open for punishment.

The punch can only be activated after a heavy attack connects or is blocked, and while it may be fast (unless charged up, which makes it slow and easy to side-step) the stun from the quick punch doesn't last a third of the time the stuns from a Lawbringer's top heavy, a Warlord's shield bash counter, or a Kensai's guardbreak throw last.

As to being pinned down, there are only 2 attacks in the Centurion's arsenal that can pin you down and leave you open for attack, the leaping attack and the fully charged unblockable heavy. Both of these attacks are choreographed, slow, and again, easy to avoid with a small side-step into punishment. If you stand there long enough to get hit by either of these attacks, you deserve to be pinned, take the fully charged punch to the face, and have the Centurion pounce on you like he's Link's doppleganger.

And finally, for those of you who've never played the Centurion, and are basing your observation that he needs to be nerfed on the fact that you got jumped by two or more of them, shut up and get over it.

For those of you having a hard time against the Centurion:
A. Learn how to guardbreak counter to avoid the consecutive unblockable throw or guardbreak triple stab
B. Learn how to side-step to avoid the kick, punch, charged attack, and leaping attack
C. Learn how to run away from a gank situation until you find an ally who can divide and conquer. The Centurion is slow, easy to read, and currently incapable of quick directional changes for blocks, meaning you should come out on top just about every time in a 1v1 scenario.

Ah yes I did forget that the Centurion does have a parry counter that is essentially the same as the guardbreak throw animation, with a quick knee to the face that can be chained into a kick. If you're getting parried all the time.

D. Learn how stop spamming heavy attacks.

TricksterLoki12
05-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Okay I'm a little confused as to how exactly you're getting hit by spammed unblockables. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Centurion literally only has 3 unblockable attacks; the Legion Kick, the punch, and the charged heavy. The only "chain unblockable" is the guard break throw into the kick, which isn't even really a chained unblockable, it's an extension of the guardbreak throw to extend the stun duration to allow the centurion to follow up with his slow moving attacks. There is also an attack that seems unblockable, but it is essentially a version of the PK's guardbreak triple stab that carries the unblockable animation on the weapon even though it's really just a grab triple stab that has to be timed properly like the PK's grab.

The standing legion kick is a forward dash only technique, and is choreographed and slow enough to be sidestepped with little effort, leaving him wide open for counter attack.

The charged heavy is only unblockable if it is charged to maximum power, which is as slow as the shoguki charged heavy but the centurion doesn't benefit from the hyper armor the shoguki does so it leaves the centurion wide open to counter attack interrupt, or you can simply side-step like with the kick, leaving him wide open for punishment.

The punch can only be activated after a heavy attack connects or is blocked, and while it may be fast (unless charged up, which makes it slow and easy to side-step) the stun from the quick punch doesn't last a third of the time the stuns from a Lawbringer's top heavy, a Warlord's shield bash counter, or a Kensai's guardbreak throw last.

As to being pinned down, there are only 2 attacks in the Centurion's arsenal that can pin you down and leave you open for attack, the leaping attack and the fully charged unblockable heavy. Both of these attacks are choreographed, slow, and again, easy to avoid with a small side-step into punishment. If you stand there long enough to get hit by either of these attacks, you deserve to be pinned, take the fully charged punch to the face, and have the Centurion pounce on you like he's Link's doppleganger.

And finally, for those of you who've never played the Centurion, and are basing your observation that he needs to be nerfed on the fact that you got jumped by two or more of them, shut up and get over it.

For those of you having a hard time against the Centurion:
A. Learn how to guardbreak counter to avoid the consecutive unblockable throw or guardbreak triple stab
B. Learn how to side-step to avoid the kick, punch, charged attack, and leaping attack
C. Learn how to run away from a gank situation until you find an ally who can divide and conquer. The Centurion is slow, easy to read, and currently incapable of quick directional changes for blocks, meaning you should come out on top just about every time in a 1v1 scenario.

Ah yes I did forget that the Centurion does have a parry counter that is essentially the same as the guardbreak throw animation, with a quick knee to the face that can be chained into a kick. If you're getting parried all the time.

D. Learn how stop spamming heavy attacks.

The spam comes from fighting two of them, they hit you so fast with unblockables and heavy hits it becomes impossible to get away. Before you can do anything you're on the ground. And again I understand how to dodge unblockables, but what I'm saying is I've seen it track and hit me when it was clear by the animation that it should not have. Think of how far Zerkers dodge, that's how far it's tracking me after the animation ends and the tracking brings him to you. As far as the ganking, there is NO other character that you should "Learn to run away" from; besides maybe the Conq, BUT at a high price for character quality as he only has one real method of attacking. This is not an acceptable answer for how broken he is. And I am heavy greedy lol but I have my lights parried all the time, so might as well go for it haha! Also I'm giving it another shot today, I do need to learn to stop the guardbreak spam, that's on me but the rest of the points are all still valid IMO.

FlyghterDRS
05-18-2017, 02:30 PM
I feel you man and I personally will take a break it's to much for me .

ATBallZ88
05-18-2017, 02:46 PM
As far as the ganking, there is NO other character that you should "Learn to run away" from; besides maybe the Conq, .

The Centurion is a new style of character design, his entire moveset is designed to crush the turtle meta. Which means that you aren't supposed to be able to utilize the current method of guarding attacks from all sides to jump into revenge and fight off the gank. You can't compare a new character with an entirely new style of play to pre-existing ones, because you're trying to compare apples to oranges. You can not expect to solo a fight against a group of characters that are designed to rip you out of your guard. So try playing a new way, and get some back-up rather than trying to take on the world. I personally feel that the whole mechanic and inability to handle multiple Centurions is pretty friggin awesome, it's literally like saying "You can't take on the might of the Roman Empire without a little help".

I've seen it track and hit me when it was clear by the animation that it should not have. think of how far Zekers dodge, that's how far it's tracking me after the animation ends and the tracking brings him to you

In this scenario, I'm going to have to assume that you're either experiencing glitches or encounters with hackers. I've been playing the Centurion for a couple of hours now and my kick hasn't tracked a single opponent, easily being sidestepped and leaving me wide open to get massacred. When facing the Centurion myself, knowing the moveset has made countering it much easier, and I've stepped out of the way of many a punch, kick, and charged heavy. The Centurion's healthpool isn't all that great, so when you actually get out of the way, the punishment is devastating. I was literally 2-shot by a rep 1 gs 17 nobushi who sidestepped my kick, did a single light attack for a quarter of my health, kicked me into a wall, than finished the other 3/4's of my health off with a heavy while I was staggering.

Like I said, the Centurion is designed to break the turtle, which means it's going to force people to learn how to MOVE and get out of the way or PARRY rather than just completely relying on the block. I don't know how you're having trouble avoiding the unblockables, but they're all slow, straight forward, and at least in my experience, easily avoided and punished

As a post script here, I'd like to bring up how people keep mentioning that they really want to see the Centurion's stamina pool nerfed. Even if they do, His third tier two feat is called Centurion's march, which grants infinite stamina for a period of time. So you're still going to run into stamina issues against him regardless. However, you should be glad, because his second tier 2 feat is called Haymaker, which is a passive feat that makes all of his punches, kicks, headbutts, knees, elbows, etc, all of the moves that dont typically do damage, do damage. So if people are opting for the infinite stamina, they have to trade off the damaging unblockables, and if they choose the damaging unblockables, they lose access to infinite stamina. And further, from what I've experienced first-hand, unlike EVERY OTHER CHARACTER in the game with unblockable shove type attacks, the Centurion's don't deplete your stamina, they just stagger and maybe stun you for a short period of time, or if it is doing stamina damage, it's completely negligible. It's nothing like the Lawbringer shove/overhead toss that deplete half to all of your stamina, the conqueror's shield tackle that depletes half-3/4 of your stamina, or the Warlord's shiled bash counter that sends you right into exhaustion.

J-HovTheKnolls
05-18-2017, 06:04 PM
Did he really ask for them to disable him from play LMAO and what would they do for season pass holders just cause you can't use him you want people who paid to use him early get nothing what a joke guy get over yourslef you are not the only player in the game and should have forked over the money to play him a week early which it should have been two weeks early access i think.