PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel if Ubisoft will portray Isu members as biblical gods?

UnknownGamer1994
05-18-2017, 01:00 AM
Dear Assassins, with the announcement right around the corner (Hopefully this Friday, just saying.. :rolleyes: ), how would you feel if religion was told in a different way for sake of storytelling in Assassin's Creed? I always found Ancient Egypt beautifully spiritual and magical in a sense, I'm not a religious person in any way but we all hear and know about some aspects of our religions growing up. I grew up as Jew, I know the story of the Exodus and the conflict between the Pharaoh and Moses to free the Jews, however what I find interesting is that god had many faces, for example, after Moses was about to reach his people destination, Israel he was killed by God because he was questioning his abilities to make water out of a stone (sound stupid, I know). What if the actual conflict was between the Isu members and that what caused the enslavement of the Jewish people and eventually their liberation? Think about, Juno manipulated Pharaoh to enslave and torture the Jews for her own agenda while Minerva and Jupiter tried to stop this madness in order to keep humankind freedom much like the whole purpose of the Assassins to keep the peace! I really don't care about any religion, I'm an Atheist but I find biblical story very fascinating and a good source for storytelling. I will personally be really happy if Ubisoft will adopt somehow this idea.

So what do you think about Retold biblical stories in Assassin's Creed?
Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions.

LoyalACFan
05-18-2017, 01:40 AM
I'm not religious either, but I grew up Southern Baptist, so I definitely know people who'd be upset by it. By and large, though, I think most people would have enough sense to realize that (like the disclaimer says) it's a work of fiction. This series has already denied the divinity of Jesus, portrayed the Pope as a lecherous fraud, and recast the Apple of Eden as a piece of alien technology, and there hasn't been rioting in the streets because of it.

On a strictly personal level... I wouldn't care for it, but I wouldn't be offended. It's more a matter of aesthetics, really. I like that the other Isu elders were based on old deities that have been all but lost to history, creating this sense that humanity once knew the truth, but had simply forgotten. Monotheism didn't crop up until centuries later, so to me it would feel like they were just doing it to be edgy rather than because it fit in with the existing lore. Now, the old Egyptian gods, on the other hand, could be pretty interesting to tie into the Isu mythology. Since they wouldn't be gods, per se, they could just be Isu who lived in that region, rather than in and around present-day Italy.

Weirdazoid
05-18-2017, 09:58 AM
I would like to see that. Assassin's Creed has already retold some biblical stories to an extent, and I think they have done a good job.

Ubi-CJ
05-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Hi there guys,
I'd just like to remind everybody to please treat such sensitive topics with the utmost care and respect.
Our mod team will step in if things get out of hand here.

Thanks,
CJ

jellejackhammer
05-18-2017, 11:57 AM
well in ac3 jezus was depicted as a human who survived the first solar flare and then rebuild his own comunity again,thus him being seen as a god by said comunity.

so they already changed major bible lore.

now with the names the isu have like juno,jupiter,minerva etc,it is already kinda confirmed that they are based on ancient greek gods from the mythology.

so if we will see a ancient greek setting as the early leaks said could come,then i think they will adress it there further.

ofcourse this setting will tell new tales of the isu aswell ( i hope the making and true purpose of the pyramids) so it will add even more "in game facts" to them being the gods of the ancient mythology.

imagine zeus being revealed as an isu elder :p

cawatrooper9
05-18-2017, 05:17 PM
I think a lot of what we've seen so far has come from the Gnostics, which is cool. I wouldn't mind them spending more time on that.

Overall, as Ubi-CJ pointed out, we really have to tread carefully when basing stuff on modern religions, whatever they be. Greek/Roman/Egyptian mythology gets a little bit of a pass because they're not widely followed anymore, and people who do follow them are surely aware of this.

In fact, I think it's even kind of precarious to do an AC-style game set anywhere in recent history, as the nature of the game (emphasis on conspiracy, religion, politics) can get pretty messy pretty quickly.

I think that Ubisoft should handle this kind of thing as they feel comfortable. I don't think they necessarily need to shy away from religious figures, but it's certainly not needed either.

Sorrosyss
05-18-2017, 07:12 PM
I'm a huge Isu fan, so of course my reaction is going to be yes yes yes. That being said, I don't think there would be much of a reaction these days. I mean look at how many 'interpretations' Hollywood has made of Biblical stories in the past. Hell, AC has already gone its own way with the creationist theory with the Isu creating humanity anyway. If anyone cared that much, they'd have been an uproar in AC1's release.

Its a work of fiction, and the disclaimer is there on the loading screen in the end.

Xangr8
05-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Ubisoft has already shown that they are capable of pulling off recreations of the Biblical stories perfectly, with the main premise of the series being based on the story of creation. I found it really fascinating and was filled with intrigue and excitement after watching the Truth video in AC2 depicting Adam and Eve fleeing Eden with the Apple. I must admit that it was one of the main things that got me invested in the storyline. I feel that a retelling of the Exodus with a TWCB twist can turn out to be pretty interesting.

But, at the same time, I'd like to point out that what makes this entire premise of an advanced ancient civilization interesting and fascinating is the mystery behind them. Eliminating this element of mystery and intrigue would take away tantalizing effect that they have. So I'd rather have them explore such stories by still trying to maintain this mysteriousness behind them.

Helforsite
05-20-2017, 11:34 AM
I think there is definitely potential, but I would rather they would focus on polytheistic religions. As an atheist I dont really care about religion, but I worry about b@tthurt religious people making trouble.