PDA

View Full Version : Wait....so people really do care about gear?

IesooMI
05-17-2017, 07:56 PM
I always thought it was a joke but after the salt these last 2 days I guess people do actually care about gear stats. Lmao I only care about cosmetics, everyone knows 4v4s is just bad players who need teammates to win fights. Closing in on 10 days played and the only time i touch that mess of a game mode 4v4 is for the occasional daily. And reguarly use ungeared chars and smash the kids who need gear as a crutch, hell they rarely CGB and I don't think they know what a parry is. Get
Over this gear argument BS and get your selves into some 1v1s and 2v2s to learn how to play.

Gray360UK
05-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Closing in on 10 days played and the only time i touch that mess of a game mode 4v4 is for the occasional daily

... and this is why you don't get to tell people about the difference gear makes in 4 vs 4 modes. No one is saying gear is everything, but only a fool would say gear means nothing, especially for the first 2 months of the game with Revenge builds being such a big thing. There are simple black and white facts like you will do more damage if your attack stat is higher and Revenge Duration makes your Revenge last longer that are not up for debate or a matter of opinion.

Antonioj26
05-17-2017, 08:09 PM
... and this is why you don't get to tell people about the difference gear makes in 4 vs 4 modes. No one is saying gear is everything, but only a fool would say gear means nothing, especially for the first 2 months of the game with Revenge builds being such a big thing. There are simple black and white facts like you will do more damage if your attack stat is higher and Revenge Duration makes your Revenge last longer that are not up for debate or a matter of opinion.

I think the vast majority of players are unskilled in 4s so honing your character can easily trump the gear score gap. I've been grey for months and still more often than not at the top or near it. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it means nothing but I've never saw a group of 108s and thought to myself "there's no chance of winning this."

p00k.
05-17-2017, 08:11 PM
the only time i touch that mess of a game mode 4v4 is for the occasional daily...get your selves into some 1v1s and 2v2s to learn how to play.

you do realize gear score only applies to 4v4 right? in 1v1 and 2v2 everyone is treated as gear score 0

Gray360UK
05-17-2017, 08:15 PM
I think the vast majority of players are unskilled in 4s so honing your character can easily trump the gear score gap. I've been grey for months and still more often than not at the top or near it. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it means nothing but I've never saw a group of 108s and thought to myself "there's no chance of winning this."

Of course, skill is still the deciding factor, but I don't quite get the logic of the OP (well I do, he is an elitist 1 vs 1 only arse who wants to belittle anyone who plays in gear modes by suggesting gear is all they can win with) when he implies that gear and skill cannot co-exist in the same space. You can be skilled and have a higher attack stat because of your gear, or unskilled and have all of the best stats and lose, or any of several possible combinations of gear + skill.

If you have 20 health left and I kill you, then a) I was able to hit you, possibly indicating skill, but also b) if I would have done 15 damage normally but my gear made it 20, then you died because of my gear. Would you have died to my next hit anyway? Maybe .... but the idea that gear plays no part, or that skill overrides the common sense that tells you having a higher attack stat is a good thing, is just dumb.

Antonioj26
05-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Of course, skill is still the deciding factor, but I don't quite get the logic of the OP (well I do, he is an elitist 1 vs 1 only arse who wants to belittle anyone who plays in gear modes by suggesting gear is all they can win with) when he implies that gear and skill cannot co-exist in the same space. You can be skilled and have a higher attack stat because of your gear, or unskilled and have all of the best stats and lose, or any of several possible combinations of gear + skill.

If you have 20 health left and I kill you, then a) I was able to hit you, possibly indicating skill, but also b) if I would have done 15 damage normally but my gear made it 20, then you died because of my gear. Would you have died to my next hit anyway? Maybe .... but the idea that gear plays no part, or that skill overrides the common sense that tells you having a higher attack stat is a good thing, is just dumb.

Agreed, it definitely makes things easier. I always say 1 frame is enough to make the difference so of course +/-15% damage is going to have a big impact as well

RaptorPetingZoo
05-17-2017, 08:54 PM
my Gear on shugoki alows me to one shot most ninjas, unless there full defensive, and even then just barely

I feel like shugoki got a unrelated buff

More squishy people playing classes with assassin health or lower, plus maps with lots of hazards (Forge), this was a good update for shugoki <3

CHawkins27
05-17-2017, 08:54 PM
This post had absolutely nothing to do with gear and was actually just for the OP to express how good he feels he is at the game.

@OP you're irrelevant

FledgeSRondo
05-17-2017, 09:23 PM
To me, the Gear System was like an RPG aspect to For Honor that was a strategic game in and of itself. Not because it gave any particular advantage, but because I could tweak completely different playstyles on different loadouts to use situationally, depending on the map, my teammates warrior choices (sometimes we didn't get heroes who could hold objectives, so I had a build for that), or heck, just my mood at the time (some days I felt like slaughtering minions, others I felt like relaxing and holding objectives). Of course I also enjoyed the cosmetic aspect as well, and it was nice getting compliments from other players impressed with the imposing look of my builds.

I'm now a Rep 27 Warden so this took a LOT of time to grind, to win just the right armor/weapon parts with the right stat ratios, earn steel from contract/daily orders to afford upgrading and play around testing the various statistics to my personal satisfaction. I don't like the idea that any effort invested in building up bespoke loadouts has been undone, and worse, that in the future it could potentially be undone again with even more changes down the road.

It's refreshing that Ubisoft is adding new gear and I appreciate their continued investment in keeping the game thriving and engaging, but what good is it to undergo the considerable difficulties to customize builds when they have been and in the future can potentially be undone? I don't even understand why they built in these options and encourage players to invest their time, effort (and in some cases, personal money) in this customization system in the first place if the expectation is that all such efforts are, ultimately, transient, it's like the video game equivalent of a "Sand Mandala".

Heck, at this point I'm not even sure I WANT to rebuild my loadouts right now if they're just going to be completely thrown into chaos again sometime down the road.