PDA

View Full Version : how important is the map editor?

Farcryisdead
05-17-2017, 05:10 PM
How important is the far cry map editor to you as a far cry player?

For me it's the sole reason for me playing far cry. ive been hooked on the map editor since 2010 on far cry 2. im hoping far cry 5 is a return to form for map editing. when i said form i mean far cry 2 form with quality editing and match hosting options. how important is the map editor to you ?

JakeyChappers
05-17-2017, 05:26 PM
I don't create maps, I've always played Far cry but I love experiencing what others have created. There are some incredible missions and modes that people design and it's almost like playing a whole new game.

I hope it's up to scratch because it will give me more to do and a wider experience as a player

akilyoung
05-17-2017, 05:52 PM
How important is the far cry map editor to you as a far cry player?

For me it's the sole reason for me playing far cry. ive been hooked on the map editor since 2010 on far cry 2. im hoping far cry 5 is a return to form for map editing. when i said form i mean far cry 2 form with quality editing and match hosting options. how important is the map editor to you ?

Ill speak for 90% of FC fans and say its 100% important...

Without the editor, its not FC, plain and simple.

But the editor MUST be supported by proper, easy-to-setup MP matches, JUST LIKE in FC2.

But we are just talking to a wall, because we have said this since FC3 came out, and its been getting worse and worse.

They take away more features, and create and editor in FC4 that CONSTANTLY crashed, and NEVER patched it properly!

Steve64b
05-17-2017, 09:06 PM
(...) an editor in FC4 that CONSTANTLY crashed, and NEVER patched it properly!I had that too initially, but the crashes went away when I set the Engine Quality lower than Ultra/Nvidia.

The editor itself is perfectly workable, though custom maps pale in features compared to what the Dunia engine is capable of. FC editing is easy to pick up though, and great fun to do (on PC at least)! But I myself was drawn to modding it, as I wanted to do some advanced things not possible by default.

So, for Far Cry 4, I made some mods that for example allowed custom objects like spline rivers in custom maps, and I also did the MapSwapper (http://maps.farcry.eu/swapper) that allows maps to be enjoyed across XBOne/PS4/PC platforms. Some players even ported their PS4 maps to PC and finished them there with the bigger object budget.

If the FC5 editor and game is moddable in a similar fashion to FC4, I'm planning some nice features that will make the mapping community thrive even more. BUT, the way Primal was structured did not allow for user-friendly mods to take place, so I wouldn't hold my breath on mods just yet.

I fear for a game that may repeat the same 'mistakes' of its predecessors, while some of them should be trivial to fix. I can only hope Ubisoft would accept some input from their known (FC3/4) community fanbase and modders like myself. The game would be better for it.

If Ubisoft wants to listen, Mathias knows where to find me.

NightGhost1994
05-17-2017, 11:05 PM
@AW LOST SOLDIER:
I don't believe it. Living Legend. Long time no see :D

The answer is it's very important. I really want the map editor!

@Ubi take notes:
I want the Editor that supports more than 6 vehicles, more than 16 explosives, larger maps than 512 x 512 m. I'm making a Far Cry world, not a soccer field.
it better be optimized for AMD as well as Nvidia, unlike FC2 & FC3 (maybe FC4 as well) which favored only Nvidia . And of course, I want to make maps I can play online and to share maps with other players.

HorTyS
05-18-2017, 03:17 AM
Ill speak for 90% of FC fans and say its 100% important...

Without the editor, its not FC, plain and simple.

But the editor MUST be supported by proper, easy-to-setup MP matches, JUST LIKE in FC2.

But we are just talking to a wall, because we have said this since FC3 came out, and its been getting worse and worse.

They take away more features, and create and editor in FC4 that CONSTANTLY crashed, and NEVER patched it properly!

I think claiming that 90% of players find the map editor that important is somewhat delusional.... I'd wager it's generous to say that 50% of players get really involved in using the editor in a significant manner.....

karofskyk
05-18-2017, 03:18 AM
very.

sometimes I still play FC4's online game and try other players' map.

Otherwise when you finish the game you have nothing to do

CZ-BackPa
05-18-2017, 06:02 AM
Very important for me. I am making Far Cry maps since 2007. I really enjoy make a new map for other. I am was spending in FC2-FC4 editor about 40-80hours per one map. In CryEngine it was about 160+hours per map. I love details on map, it is reason, why I never can make map faster than for 40 hours. So I feel very bad, when I see sht map without details with 5 stars only because creator is streamer or something like it and have a big fanbase.... I want really very detailed editor, which do not will easy for use (something like in FC1) = More better maps. I think, because bad-map makers will leave it.

Farcryisdead
05-18-2017, 08:29 AM
@AW LOST SOLDIER:
I don't believe it. Living Legend. Long time no see :D

The answer is it's very important. I really want the map editor!

@Ubi take notes:
I want the Editor that supports more than 6 vehicles, more than 16 explosives, larger maps than 512 x 512 m. I'm making a Far Cry world, not a soccer field.
it better be optimized for AMD as well as Nvidia, unlike FC2 & FC3 (maybe FC4 as well) which favored only Nvidia . And of course, I want to make maps I can play online and to share maps with other players.

Hey nightghost it's been a long time :)

Fallen-Champ
05-18-2017, 08:52 AM
I think claiming that 90% of players find the map editor that important is somewhat delusional.... I'd wager it's generous to say that 50% of players get really involved in using the editor in a significant manner.....

I think he is saying that from those who use the map editor - the more serious ones he is speaking for 90% of them.
As for people who purchase the Far Cry games which have editors possibly under 10% use the map editor.

I think to say that the map editor is that important is a load of crap and the Xbox One community proved that, from those active within the community on Far Cry 2 / Far Cry 3 I would estimate that approx 96% chose to snub Far Cry 4's map editor.

1. It was broken on consoles, you could make maps but that auto scroll issue with the pivot points moving the camera out of place on consoles was unbearable.
2. We could not make multiplayer maps

Also if you look at Far Cry 3 it had a really cool editor, issues with some items draw distance (especially on consoles) people having issues with the editor freezing up (consoles) huge problems in getting people into matches on user made maps with the only way at launch to invite players then after each match they all get kicked out.

So the editor without multiplayer would no doubt result in the same stance from the Xbox side, with multiplayer providing that auto scroll issue is fixed then the next issue will be the items budget on consoles because XB30 and PS3 had the same budget as XB1 and PS4 so providing we get an increase on the budget with consoles I think then the editor will be very important for those who like to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBJD3z3PbJc&t=18s
Some maps on Far Cry 4 from the PC by COLD_BLAST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nnEoj44gGw
PS4 maps by SETHO-1 he does an amazing job with the console budget

Ubi-KitKoumal
05-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Hey Anorexic_Buddah,

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions and these videos as well, very interest to watch. :)

Cheers,

KitKoumal

Skrap98
05-23-2017, 02:17 PM
Map editor was the main reason for me buying Fc3. And editor was the ONLY reason i bought fc4. Still making and publishing maps.

HorTyS
05-25-2017, 12:16 AM
From my perspective, as someone who is not heavily involved in map making or the MP of the FC games, I still think that if the game has a MP component, it should have the map editor which is fully compatible with the MP and the main focus / draw to the MP component. The editor is the one thing FC has MP wise that other (far more popular shooters) don't, so its the one advantage and incentive to play the MP.... FC4 dropped the ball having MP not compatible with the map editor.... and the MP sucked anyway, as it typically does in FC.. but FC4's was worse than normal....

x_maxpower204
05-25-2017, 12:30 AM
The editor is important, but its nothing without the ability to host the maps in a public lobby.

WID992007
05-25-2017, 11:50 PM
LOL it wont have one ..it'll be the same as Primal ...no MP ....no map edit program and no co op
they will say we are focusing on building the best single player experience

and i dont mind .. it'll still be one i add to my FC games collection and yep i'll enjoy it ..same i i did FC Primal

HorTyS
05-26-2017, 12:20 AM
LOL it wont have one ..it'll be the same as Primal ...no MP ....no map edit program and no co op
they will say we are focusing on building the best single player experience

and i dont mind .. it'll still be one i add to my FC games collection and yep i'll enjoy it ..same i i did FC Primal

This is a pretty pessimistic view i've got to say... haha, not one i necessarily disagree with, but i don't want to agree with it either. I am hoping that that remaining FC4 team have been working on FC5 since 4's release and the team who made primal just pumped that out in the mean time. It would make sense, Ubi has leap-frogged games before between teams, so I am hoping that is the case and we get a big, fully featured FC game.... though if your prediction comes true i can't say I"ll be to surprised.... however, i am choosing to keep the fictional Montana county the game is based in, in my heart... HOPE... hahaha

CAFFEIN8TED
05-26-2017, 12:32 AM
So I'll start by confessing that I didn't get FC Primal for 2 reasons

1. A lack of moderns weapons/firearms
2. The main reason was no editor

That said I do intend on playing Primal eventually. Now concerning FC5 from the teasers and art released it definitely shows modern weapons/firearms so I'm definitely interested and going to be playing the game if there is an editor or not. However the editor is my favorite part and what kept me playing FC4 long after I finished the story/campaign so I'm hoping the editor returns.

Imaganos
05-27-2017, 12:51 AM
I hope the map editor is worth it, everything after FC2 was nice, but trash. The map editor took away the need to sell the dlc when complete maps would be made by the community that were superb. Im kinda surprised how well Wildlands is. Hopefully FC5 will be worth the wait through FC3 & FC4, great games, but worthless map editors.

Skrap98
05-27-2017, 01:00 AM
I hope the map editor is worth it, everything after FC2 was nice, but trash. The map editor took away the need to sell the dlc when complete maps would be made by the community that were superb. Im kinda surprised how well Wildlands is. Hopefully FC5 will be worth the wait through FC3 & FC4, great games, but worthless map editors.

Far cry 4 had worthless map editor? You dont even know what your talking about. You are drunk.

MikoianStafida
05-27-2017, 01:06 AM
Is confirmed in FC 5

Farcryisdead
05-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Is confirmed in FC 5

Yes :)

usmovers_02
05-27-2017, 03:32 PM
The map editor is the only reason I'm here. The SP is just icing on the cake.

usmovers_02
05-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Yes, FC4's map editor was absolutely useless for competitive MP.

Farcryisdead
05-29-2017, 11:19 AM
The map editor is only second to oxygen on the list of lifes most important things :)

impressionman76
05-29-2017, 04:54 PM

I spent 400 hours on the Far Cry 4 editor and I have made many very detailed maps. The editor is far from worthless! it is still a powerful tool for creation. However, I will agree that not having a multiplayer component was a set back and the changes in Far Cry 3 from Far Cry 2 was also a step backwards. There is a large group of active people playing the Far Cry 4 editor, I get over a hundred plays for most every map I publish now. This is over 2 years later. Far FAR FAR from useless! Insulting Ubisoft is not the way to get them to add multiplayer in the next editor. Let's just ask that multiplayer similar to Far Cry 2 returns and have that include the modes from Far Cry 4. This will triple the amount of people using it and I would imagine bring a lot of business for Ubisoft. As a fan I would buy it new day of.

TRASH85
06-11-2017, 10:42 AM
im sure hes not talkin bout the story mode ppl (play story try multi pvp like ) become map editors like us for the next ten yrs 👍 thats how it worked for me

TRASH85
06-11-2017, 10:55 AM
the map editor tools should be the same as fc2 ............ i would like to meet the guy who came up with the new editor tool system id smack the taste outta his mouth DONT FIX IT IF IT AINT BROKE.......oh yeah and the guy who 'fixed' the lobby hes do for an *** whoppin to

shotbyron
06-15-2017, 06:23 AM
I won't buy the game unless it has a legit map editor. I like the FC games. I'll play and finish single player. But once I beat it, I never touch it again. Id say 80% of my time is spent on editing. Without that, its a bargin bin pick up for me at best

TRASH85
06-15-2017, 09:45 AM
Holly****..........you can go prone in fc5 E3 coverage

Imaganos
06-19-2017, 09:58 PM
no, I do not drink, and play with the fc2 map editor for yourself. Dated yes, but better functionality.

Sknipester
06-23-2017, 09:19 PM
Ill only buy the game if it has a legit map editor and a multiplayer lobby system like fc2. I dont even touch the single player as that doesn't do it for me. The fun I get out of playing robots is 1/10. If it has a legit editor, map sharing and lobby system that fun goes to 10/10.

zeeEVIL1
06-25-2017, 03:10 PM
When I got the original xbox, the first two games I owned were Halo, and Far Cry Instincts. I totally dove into the map editor, and then discovered this community, which of course led to everything else. I have been mostly disappointed in the editor since FC3 came out. The amount of input that people like me, Fallen Champ and Sabertooth had on the concepts of the FC2 editor, got me to like that one. Its just a shame the MP moves like mollassis.I hope the new Editor gives options for SP, MP and co-op.

Fallen-Champ
06-25-2017, 05:02 PM
When I got the original xbox, the first two games I owned were Halo, and Far Cry Instincts.
Both also worked in 4 player split screen, those two and Goldeneye 64 were possibly the best 3 4 way split screen games ever made for shooters - Mario Kart 64 still a fun 4 way racer:p Also FCIP was only 2 player split screen but you could select 4 teams of 4 which was really interesting, only played that way on a handful of occasions, shame as it was fun.

The amount of input that people like me, Fallen Champ and Sabertooth had on the concepts of the FC2 editor, got me to like that one. Its just a shame the MP moves like mollassis.I hope the new Editor gives options for SP, MP and co-op.
If all those who have contributed a lot over the years got paid for it we would all be rich ;)

So Mike how is your schedule late February 2018? If FC5 actually has a fun MP could you see Evil's Sunday Slaughter return - Mambo is already licking his lips at the thought of running a weekly match.

Do you remember back in the FCIP days when there was a match almost 5 days a week and some dedicated hosts most of the day every day hosting the best maps.

Sknipester
06-26-2017, 02:22 AM
When I got the original xbox, the first two games I owned were Halo, and Far Cry Instincts. I totally dove into the map editor, and then discovered this community, which of course led to everything else. I have been mostly disappointed in the editor since FC3 came out. The amount of input that people like me, Fallen Champ and Sabertooth had on the concepts of the FC2 editor, got me to like that one. Its just a shame the MP moves like mollassis.I hope the new Editor gives options for SP, MP and co-op.

I think they should just focus on the MP side of the map editor at least for the start. You have SP and CO OP already from the campaign. Oncee everything in the ME is good and polished 100% for the multiplayer aspect than i wouldnt mind if they added in SP and CO OP options and additions to the editor. Rethinking... how much more work would that take?

Punish69th
07-09-2017, 08:38 PM
I have to agree with mmgrekoss about the FC editors. 10 years ago I used to map for Half-Life 2 (Day of Defeat Source) and that editor was a total nightmare for me, yet great for some. Everything had to be literally made from scratch. When FC4 came out I didn't even think of the IGE because I figured it was like Source, it was not. I have made well over 1400+ maps since 2014. Being retired I needed something to keep my mind sharp. All you need is your imagination and the tools. I have never made green grid maps, mine are all mostly detailed. I love scenery mostly, I never spend too much time on one map. If I began to get bored with one map, I shove it to the back burner and work on another one.