PDA

View Full Version : Ocean dynamics and sonar

dvdk1940
04-17-2004, 02:06 PM
I think that SH2 was VERY unrealistic when it came to depth-charging by enemy ships.
I know that the development team had stated that the enemy ships will imitate human error and go after false targets. But i do not think that the development team has the right idea.
When using active acoustic sonar in the ocean one must remember that; as the sound wave travels through the water, it bends when it travels through a different temperature layers.
So in theory; it is virtually impossable to detect, accuately, a submarine at 200m. Another factor is the season. In the summer the water temperature is warmer and the acoustic waves bend in different ways than in the winter...
Do you think the development team should try to factor in all of these enviromental effects so as to prevent you from getting sunk at 250M at silent running???

look here for more info. (http://www.uboat.net/articles/index.html?article=45)

dvdk1940
04-17-2004, 02:06 PM
I think that SH2 was VERY unrealistic when it came to depth-charging by enemy ships.
I know that the development team had stated that the enemy ships will imitate human error and go after false targets. But i do not think that the development team has the right idea.
When using active acoustic sonar in the ocean one must remember that; as the sound wave travels through the water, it bends when it travels through a different temperature layers.
So in theory; it is virtually impossable to detect, accuately, a submarine at 200m. Another factor is the season. In the summer the water temperature is warmer and the acoustic waves bend in different ways than in the winter...
Do you think the development team should try to factor in all of these enviromental effects so as to prevent you from getting sunk at 250M at silent running???

look here for more info. (http://www.uboat.net/articles/index.html?article=45)

Kron-161
04-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Well, historically, as finding out the exact location of the sub possed some technical problems, the tactic for destroyers was to team in groups of 2 or 3 and then do a sort of "carpet bombing" of the general area and depth they expected the sub to be. This led to submarines having to endure depth charging for endless hours before they could shake their pursuer if they were skilled enough or, sometimes, just plainly lucky.

I'd like the sim to be as real and historically accurate as possible.

CDragon
04-19-2004, 09:14 PM
I understand the need for acoustic accuracy in sub sims. In the sims of modern subs its necessary to model the ocean extremely well because the sensors on board can hear a fish cough at 10kyd, and identify the fish by its cough! There seems to be alot of data (both classified and not) describing the ocean and the sensors that listen to it.

In a sim of world war II diesel boats the same exquisite modelling of the ocean would be nice as well. But while the data describing the ocean can be applied, is there a whole of reliable data as to sensors?

I ask only because alot of what I read about sonar sensitivity and uboat detection is anecdotal, stories told by sonar operators and crewmen and captains on both sides of the conflict.

If there exists hard data on the loudness of a Type VIIC sneaking about at silent speed, then I hope the Dev Team has used it!

Afreaka
04-28-2004, 06:17 AM
Speaking of ocean dynamics or not. I was just about to start a new topic on which weather might be included. Iam was hoping for a winter storm. Icebergs, snow, drift ice. Is this scenery going to be included? It would be a little teadious with just one common ocean to sail around in with the occasional 1 meter high seas. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
I can only imagine the work a real live ocean would demand. Yet there are so few other natural elements to upset the balance, increase the challenge. So in addition to the above it would also but an emphisis on the games atmosphere.
Its all about being there is it not. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

Rex Kramer(Airplane, 1980): Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. It's a dumb question... skip it.

Bruno_Lotse
05-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Has anyone mentioned such naval phenoma as tides and currents?
Without a help of a high tide Gunter Prien would have not sneaked into Scapa Flow. In the Scapa Flow his major challenge was not so much British DDs as currents which were pushing h his U47 on rocks of nearby islands.

Bruno Lotse
U45