PDA

View Full Version : Map Editor - To be, or not to be...

BattlePHILd
05-16-2017, 08:57 PM
I freaking love this feature of previous Far Cry games, but they did have their issues:

FC2, Editor was awesome, but the gameplay was pretty poor and it was really freaking hard to get a game going on a new map.
FC3, Editor was even better! System to play new maps was okay, but needed improvements. They added AI and animals, which was great, but restricted them from online matches?! Also, removed vehicles from online matches?! Just some poor decisions that couldn't really be justified.
FC4, Looked like a pretty great editor, but without the ability to play matches on the maps, what was the point?
FCP, nothing...

What will it be this time around?

Personally, I hope they grab what was working in FC3 and improve it. A feature like that really makes the game unique. Nobody really offers it!

Farcryisdead
05-16-2017, 09:14 PM
If far cry 5 does have an editor i hope its for MP and not just a SP editor like fc4.

Steve64b
05-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Actually, the FC4 editor interface and usability improved tremendously compared to FC3. So I'm hoping they beefed that one up with smaller water bodies and perhaps some more features already in the engine like scaling object sizes, changing object colors/textures, having more interactive objects (spawners). Lack of interesting game modes and (to me) spawning/scripting is what makes it fall flat a bit. And that's a pity, as these constructs are already in the main game, we as players just don't have access to it in the editor...

An often requested feature is allowing more than 4 terrain textures. It's probably unlikely that this will have been done in the new editor, as they could have sacrificed part of the 32-bit RGBA (like made it 2x16 bit) to accommodate 8 textures. But that would mean taking a step back in texture blending quality.

usmovers_02
05-17-2017, 03:31 AM
IF they decide to have a map editor it must have the lobby system of FC2 which allows a map maker to host a map rotation and it must have the combined strengths of the FC2, 3, and 4 editors. Each has strengths where the other has a weakness.

That said Ubisoft has never once listened to this passionate map making community and has made it abundantly clear we are not wanted with this franchise.

CZ-BackPa
05-17-2017, 09:33 AM
I am making maps since Far Cry 1. I hope Far Cry 5 will have editor for multiplayer and coop maps.

Ubi-KitKoumal
05-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Hello everyone!

Thank you for being all here after the announcement and for sharing your ideas and feedback concerning the map editor. It's always nice to read your impressions! :)

Cheers,

KitKoumal

Steve64b
05-17-2017, 09:50 AM
That said Ubisoft has never once listened to this passionate map making community
While this may be true, it seems Mathias Ahrens (@Mathias338 (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1240916-Mathias338), the Far Cry Community Manager) wants to change that. In a chat I had with him last month on Facebook, he seemed to have made it his objective for this year.
Of course, I don't know how Ubisoft works internally, and how much 'influence' he can excert. But if Ubisoft won't listen, I don't think that's due to the Community Manager! :)

Farcryisdead
05-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Hello everyone!

Thank you for being all here after the announcement and for sharing your ideas and feedback concerning the map editor. It's always nice to read your impressions! :)

Cheers,

KitKoumal

Any chance you can give us a hint about if the map editor is returning :)

Ubi-KitKoumal
05-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Hey AW LOST SOLDIER,

Unfortunately no, I don't have information to share! Please stay tuned for any additional announcement in the future, we'll share with the community as soon as we have any news for you guys.

Cheers,

KitKoumal

Farcryisdead
05-17-2017, 10:02 AM
Hey AW LOST SOLDIER,

Unfortunately no, I don't have information to share! Please stay tuned for any additional announcement in the future, we'll share with the community as soon as we have any news for you guys.

Cheers,

KitKoumal

Ok thanks

Steve64b
05-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Any chance you can give us a hint about if the map editor is returning :)
Yeah, Far Cry Primal didn't have an editor at all, and in Far Cry 4:

It wasn't possible to delete/update published maps in FC4.
It wasn't possible to playtest custom maps without them being published, aside from singleplayer on the PC platform.
Ubisoft silently discontinued their Far Cry 4 Community Maps hub site (which I somewhat restored at http://maps.farcry.eu for a while, until my access to their database stopped working)

So it's understandable that the community is a bit reserved when it comes a possible custom mapping experience in the new title. ;)

usmovers_02
05-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Hey AW LOST SOLDIER,

Cheers,

KitKoumal

I know this isn't the fault of community managers and representatives but us fans of the map editor have always been treated like 3rd class citizens regarding when the editor is announced and what it features. We are flat... out... ignored by whoever does the actual game making and whoever does the marketing. The map editor isn't even officially announced until just before release. We don't need full videos and a feature list. Just let us know it exists as SOON as the game gets it's first reveal! We just need to know it's there and that it will have competitive MP! Also we frequently give near unanimous opinions on bad decisions like removing vehicles from MP and not allowing map creators to host their own map rotations. I specifically remember when Ubisoft announced in FC3 there would be no vehicles online and the community voted 94% in favor of adding them back in. The excuse we were given was that vehicles discourage team play which is such a bad excuse it's insulting.

I know you guys can't give us all the information we want when we want it and I know it's unrealistic to expect the team to give us every feature we want so what I ask is this: treat us like adults. If the community at large is asking for something and the team can't/won't do it then tell us. Don't completely ignore us (like when we asked how the lobby system would work for FC3. Ubisoft knew if they told us how that abysmal system was set up none of us map makers would buy the game) and don't make up insulting excuses. Just say "hey, sorry we simply can't do that. We can't go into details but this is a general idea as to why we can't do it".

Talk to us, PLEASE!

I cannot express how much I loath Ubisoft in part because they refuse to listen and communicate with most of their franchises and in part because the company owns and has absolutely ruined several of my favorite franchises (Far Cry, Prince of Persia).

Ubi-KitKoumal
05-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Hey usmovers_02,

I do wish to apologise for the frustration the situation is causing, thank you for taking the time to write to us despite that.

Regards,

KitKoumal

akilyoung
05-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Actually, the FC4 editor interface and usability improved tremendously compared to FC3. So I'm hoping they beefed that one up with smaller water bodies and perhaps some more features already in the engine like scaling object sizes, changing object colors/textures, having more interactive objects (spawners). Lack of interesting game modes and (to me) spawning/scripting is what makes it fall flat a bit. And that's a pity, as these constructs are already in the main game, we as players just don't have access to it in the editor...

An often requested feature is allowing more than 4 terrain textures. It's probably unlikely that this will have been done in the new editor, as they could have sacrificed part of the 32-bit RGBA (like made it 2x16 bit) to accommodate 8 textures. But that would mean taking a step back in texture blending quality.

except it crashed every 5 minutes...

Steve64b
05-17-2017, 02:13 PM
except it crashed every 5 minutes...
I have had no problem with that ever since I stepped down from the Ultra/Nvidia quality setting in the editor.

akilyoung
05-17-2017, 05:56 PM
I freaking love this feature of previous Far Cry games, but they did have their issues:

FC2, Editor was awesome, but the gameplay was pretty poor and it was really freaking hard to get a game going on a new map.
FC3, Editor was even better! System to play new maps was okay, but needed improvements. They added AI and animals, which was great, but restricted them from online matches?! Also, removed vehicles from online matches?! Just some poor decisions that couldn't really be justified.
FC4, Looked like a pretty great editor, but without the ability to play matches on the maps, what was the point?
FCP, nothing...

What will it be this time around?

Personally, I hope they grab what was working in FC3 and improve it. A feature like that really makes the game unique. Nobody really offers it!

You could not be further from the truth...ask any legacy FC player...

FC2 was by FAR the easiest to get matches going...

FC3 made it impossible to set up playlists and keep the game going with your friends

FC4 forget about it MP was gone

Primal? lol

akilyoung
05-17-2017, 05:59 PM
While this may be true, it seems Mathias Ahrens (@Mathias338 (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1240916-Mathias338), the Far Cry Community Manager) wants to change that. In a chat I had with him last month on Facebook, he seemed to have made it his objective for this year.
Of course, I don't know how Ubisoft works internally, and how much 'influence' he can excert. But if Ubisoft won't listen, I don't think that's due to the Community Manager! :)

They say that with every FC. The CM is just a buffer. They try to hype the new game and make it seem like itll be what we want, meanwhile ubi has a wall up between themselves and the community, not listening to the most important aspects of what we want in the new FC, and with each release, neuters the new game more and more.

akilyoung
05-17-2017, 06:02 PM
I have had no problem with that ever since I stepped down from the Ultra/Nvidia quality setting in the editor.

I had problems with it on PC and PS4, so I gave up!

It was never fixed. Ubi releases unfinished games and leaves them to rot, while starting the next game.

Ubi used to be my favorite game dev, but now they are my least favorite, and I am not the only one either...

HorTyS
05-18-2017, 03:08 AM
I had problems with it on PC and PS4, so I gave up!

It was never fixed. Ubi releases unfinished games and leaves them to rot, while starting the next game.

Ubi used to be my favorite game dev, but now they are my least favorite, and I am not the only one either...

Huh, weird, I don't even bother visiting the forums of my least favorite dev's games.... I don't play their games or have anything to do with them as a company....

HorTyS
05-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Guys, IF the game does have a map editor, I think we need to exchange gamertag's / ID's so we can get together online. I want to make maps & be involved, but i've never had any luck making a map and playing matches on it because I don't have a group of friends who play the MP... I want that to change on this game, if it does indeed have a map editor....

Fallen-Champ
05-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Guys, IF the game does have a map editor, I think we need to exchange gamertag's / ID's so we can get together online. I want to make maps & be involved, but i've never had any luck making a map and playing matches on it because I don't have a group of friends who play the MP... I want that to change on this game, if it does indeed have a map editor....

If the new game does have a map editor I will be heavily involved providing it can meet my needs, currently on all platforms PC / PS4 / XB1 so will have no issues this time with friends been on other platforms.

Anyone on Facebook there are two groups out there one is more PC and the other more console but either group would not turn people away - they are more for the map editor but I am sure will cover any news from Far Cry 5 as we get it.

Far Cry Maps (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Far.Cry.Maps/?ref=bookmarks)
I started that one a couple of months ago, it could become a good place for console map builders if we get an editor, would love to see some of the old faces return from the Instincts series, FC2 and FC3.

FarCry4MapEditor (https://www.facebook.com/groups/FarCry4MapEditor/)
They have a lot of members but the active ones currently are more on the PC side, I use both sites there are some good map builders so hopefully both will grow if we get some good news.

The forums here are also a good place to spread the word and promote any maps but not that many use them.
My Niece took my Fallen Champ Xbox Live name and I switched my Playstation name from Sizzling_Sar to Anorexic_Buddah so feel free to invite me on any platform.

XBL Anorexic Buddah
PSN Anorexic_Buddah
PC anorexicbuddah1 (or could be anorexic_buddah1) I need to check.

I thought Buddha could also be spelt as Buddah - should have done more research before I chose the name, or you can say my spelling is bad.

Lillestoel
05-18-2017, 11:42 AM
That said Ubisoft has never once listened to this passionate map making community and has made it abundantly clear we are not wanted with this franchise.

This is not true. They've always listened, but the problem is when they don't act on good feedback. If we want them to take us seriously then we have to be realistic, honest and mature about our feedback and analyzing the situation. Big budget games like these require hundreds of people and years of development, and we can't expect them to act on everything that is requested.

Sure, communication has been poor in the past, and that is something I hope will change. But the map editing community is small, so no matter how little we like it, we're not a safe bet unless dramatic changes are made. I too really hope the new one will have an editor, and I hope it will bring us back the glory days of Far Cry 2, and sure, there's plenty of criticism that is fair and called for, but to say that we aren't wanted and that they don't listen is not true, and claiming this will only drive people and Ubisoft staff away... A bitter community isn't healthy, so I hope we can limit our critique to honest and objective.

akilyoung
05-18-2017, 01:54 PM
If the new game does have a map editor I will be heavily involved providing it can meet my needs, currently on all platforms PC / PS4 / XB1 so will have no issues this time with friends been on other platforms.

Anyone on Facebook there are two groups out there one is more PC and the other more console but either group would not turn people away - they are more for the map editor but I am sure will cover any news from Far Cry 5 as we get it.

Far Cry Maps (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Far.Cry.Maps/?ref=bookmarks)
I started that one a couple of months ago, it could become a good place for console map builders if we get an editor, would love to see some of the old faces return from the Instincts series, FC2 and FC3.

FarCry4MapEditor (https://www.facebook.com/groups/FarCry4MapEditor/)
They have a lot of members but the active ones currently are more on the PC side, I use both sites there are some good map builders so hopefully both will grow if we get some good news.

The forums here are also a good place to spread the word and promote any maps but not that many use them.
My Niece took my Fallen Champ Xbox Live name and I switched my Playstation name from Sizzling_Sar to Anorexic_Buddah so feel free to invite me on any platform.

XBL Anorexic Buddah
PSN Anorexic_Buddah
PC anorexicbuddah1 (or could be anorexic_buddah1) I need to check.

I thought Buddha could also be spelt as Buddah - should have done more research before I chose the name, or you can say my spelling is bad.

Hey bro, lets not forget that www.battlemap.net supports this. As we all know the site has been virtually dead save for a few of us posting random stuff, ever since FC3...

It would be great to see crowds there again, uploading maps and having map making contests again!!!

ImGonaG3tUsucka
05-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Hey bro, lets not forget that www.battlemap.net supports this. As we all know the site has been virtually dead save for a few of us posting random stuff, ever since FC3...

It would be great to see crowds there again, uploading maps and having map making contests again!!!

As Akilyoung said its great to see every one. Also check out these sites http://www.battlemap.net/ and http://www.FCmaps.net/

and these channels Fallen Champ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC827G2NdF--ZiSCaBCR7JSw .

The lazy Mapper https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr4uQhoX2gVpxuRbJGFh2Og

Lillestoel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc1JMEL3zr8GgUijtnrOUtA

Which promote Far Cry maps from the past and hopefully in the future with FC 5. If Far Cry 5 has an editor.

Farcryisdead
05-18-2017, 06:06 PM
I hope we wont have to wait for E3 for info regarding the map editor.

HorTyS
05-18-2017, 08:16 PM

I'm guessing you'll have to wait well beyond E3...

legacyzero
05-19-2017, 02:32 AM
They will probably be revealing the game at E3. But it history serves, you'll be waiting until closer to launch. Which really sucks. Ubisoft waited until launch date to reveal FC4's Map Editor.

I'm guessing you'll have to wait well beyond E3...
Probably :(

HorTyS
05-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Hate to say it, I know there are alot of people who play FC solely for the ME, many of whom clearly frequent these forums, but the vast majority of players don't even touch it, thats why it's implementation has been on the decline and thats why when it is there it is not addressed prominently in the marketing phase...

Farcryisdead
05-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Ubisoft somehow needs to sell the map editor feature to all those players who never touch it. just look at minecraft and tell me user created content is not popular. it's a marketing problem that the editor has. microsoft didn't pay 2 billion for minecraft for nothing did they. the map editor needs to step out of that dark niche corner it's been hiding in for years.

ImGonaG3tUsucka
05-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Ubisoft somehow needs to sell the map editor feature to all those players who never touch it. just look at minecraft and tell me user created content is not popular. it's a marketing problem that the editor has. microsoft didn't pay 2 billion for minecraft for nothing did they. the map editor needs to step out of that dark niche corner it's been hiding in for years.

I would say your absolutely right. I always would wonder why they don't advertise this more. Its a selling feature that Ubisoft doesn't utilize. I have talk to couple of editors who just started map editing and they said they never realize you could edit maps and that they would have been using the editor from the start. Some even bought the older FC games just to check out how to edited maps for Multiplayer.

So Ubisoft has an untapped market. They just have to tweak up the editor, market it more and to make it more accessible for gamers. Also to showcase the high effort maps . Instead of this junk that's on XB1 top rated maps.

HorTyS
05-19-2017, 07:03 PM

Most of the minecraft audience is like 8 year old kids, not exactly the same demographic that is playing Far Cry, but i see your point as well. I do wish there was a stronger community for the ME & MP in general on the FC games, because the more people are into it the more support it'd get. I think the primary reason the ME gets so little use is because people can't get motivated to make maps when the MP they'd be playing them on has never been anything more than sub-par. They need to make a solid MP experience so that the user generated maps are FUN to play on. Thats what I think is the main thing holding back the ME, it's the underwhelming MP that ends up using the UGC...

Val1os
05-20-2017, 10:00 AM
I hope Ubisoft on PC insert a complete mod tool for Single Player maps and mods.With no lititation for large map and all tools to build personal maps.

HorTyS
05-20-2017, 10:16 AM
I hope Ubisoft on PC insert a complete mod tool for Single Player maps and mods.With no lititation for large map and all tools to build personal maps.

Lofty hopes,I hope your expectations are well tempered...

legacyzero
05-21-2017, 03:19 PM
The map editor will never be a success unless Ubi plans to execute on it from the beginning. It cant just be an afterthought. Far Cry 4's Editor wasn't even advertised until the game's launch day! And that was to (officially) break the news that it didn't even carry multiplayer functionality.

But what's promising is that Ubisoft is coming around on this type of game, and moving into the direction of games like Rainbow Six: Siege (Which was a huge success with clear longevity), Ghost Recon, and Division. Siege is great because it comes with a continued focus of support, which none of the Far Cry games ever got.

But I would encourage Ubisoft and all of you, to look to Halo 5 for an amazing example of how to handle map making and sharing (If you dont wanna look at Far Cry 2). Forge is AMAZING in Halo 5, with more bells and whistles than I ever dreamed for the Far Cry Editor. multiple levels of weather, clouds, real time light/shadow with baking options, color filters, color customization options for all physical pieces, etc. It's wonderous to behold. ( I think it's also free for the editor on the Windows Store, if ya'll wanna see) Halo 5 also has a wonderful sharing and lobby option. I can just go to custom matches under Forge, and see all the current multiplayer matches happening for user made maps, with pictures, ratings, how many are playing, etc. Such good fun.

I'm not holding out hope. Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 crushed me pretty hard. Examples of devs trying to do too much with 'creativity' when they can just let the multiplayer and editor shine together with simplicity. Far Cry 3 didn't need a "Team Shout" focus which killed vehicles in the MP arbitrarily, with a matchmaking system that killed map sharing DOA, and Far Cry 4 didnt need an asymmetrical multiplayer mode for whatever reason. Just listen to the PLAYERS. It's not that hard! Ugh, it frustrates me so much. I was one of the most vocal on this board during the FC4 debacle. I boycotted the game even. (Finally bought it in Feb on a Steam Sale, after Alex Hutchinson left Ubisoft)

So my advice? Sit back, relax, and keep your expectations low. Worst case? You'll get another Primal with none of those features at all, and the community will continue to fizzle out. Best case? Ubisoft will blow your hair back, and show something wonderful, after learning from their mistakes.

BattlePHILd
05-22-2017, 06:27 PM
You could not be further from the truth...ask any legacy FC player...

FC2 was by FAR the easiest to get matches going...

FC3 made it impossible to set up playlists and keep the game going with your friends

FC4 forget about it MP was gone

Primal? lol

It really doesn't seem like we disagree on much at all. Really just FC2. I didn't find it impossible to play my maps there, just sure as hell wasn't easy. As for playing with friends, all the FC games have been pretty terrible at that. I've had plenty of friends who would have played many more hours of multiplayer if there was ANY type of party system designed to keep people together. The only decent way to play together was co-op in the FC4 campaign. Obviously, it's a completely different thing, but at least they got it to work!

BattlePHILd
05-22-2017, 06:34 PM

YES! THIS! 100%!
I remember when FC2 was coming out and they released this trailer for the map editor. It blew my mind! They really need to do that again, but better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0kWkjued8Y

Honestly, they could remake this trailer with the tech they've built today and sell a million copies on the editor alone!

TRASH85
06-17-2017, 06:39 PM
there are some good things that came from fc3 fc4........ not alot mind you but like graffics, the hole tool fc3,water tool fc3, air gust tool ( dont no actual name but it shot you in the air when u stand on it ) fc4,ledge climb tool cant remember fc3 or fc4, the cinematic fly around before the game started fc3, stuff like that we can keep but if the lobby system the edtor tools and match system are not like fc2 its just another step back!!!! please tell me i heard right we finally get prone in fc5 can someone.confirm.this ?

HorTyS
06-19-2017, 05:18 AM
there are some good things that came from fc3 fc4........ not alot mind you but like graffics, the hole tool fc3,water tool fc3, air gust tool ( dont no actual name but it shot you in the air when u stand on it ) fc4,ledge climb tool cant remember fc3 or fc4, the cinematic fly around before the game started fc3, stuff like that we can keep but if the lobby system the edtor tools and match system are not like fc2 its just another step back!!!! please tell me i heard right we finally get prone in fc5 can someone.confirm.this ?

I don't know if it's been stated through official channels but I heard it has prone in some hands on impressions video though I cannot recall which one exactly...

emrdesign
06-19-2017, 02:58 PM
The biggest problem with the map editor in FC3 and FC4 where the limitations put in place. Either in map size as well as in number of objects before the map is full. I understand it was done because Xbox and Playstation can not handle larger maps than PC players can, but I don't like how they limited it for all systems equally just because of that. I know they wanted to offer everybody to play any of the created maps regardless of their hardware.

I think this limit, which was quickly reached, was the reason why so few maps were created. They should give people the choice for what system they want to build a map and then maybe limit the map size/number of objects accordingly. Also using the map editor and making maps on PC is much easier than on a Xbox or PS4. So most maps were probably created on PC. XB1 and PS4 can now probably handle bigger maps then older systems. So that will be an improvement already.

But the biggest improvement would be to give us a full editor just like Crytek did with the first Far Cry. That editor had much more options than we will probably get now with FC5 map editor. But we will see. One thing I would really like to see if we can let AI (either in vehicle or not) follow a path or tell them what to do.

Punish69th
07-09-2017, 08:47 PM
I know it's been said that FC4 has crashed on them with the PC? But as an XO owner mine has never crashed since I purchased it in 2014.

BattlePHILd
08-01-2017, 04:39 PM
The downside from Far Cry 3 map editor was multiplayer was private lobby and only 1 map hosting. Also was the start of down sizing the player counts. Which Far Cry 3 was 7vs7. Far Cry 2 had the excellent lobby rules of public host of a playlist of like 5 to 8 maps and option to vote to skip maps. Couldn't get any better then that. Far Cry 2 was so textbook and sexy. Shocked UBISOFT would mess with a good thing.

I'm glad they tried to improve it from FC2. It wasn't perfect.The problem is they never seemed to consider the community feedback once their attempts to improve it didn't work. If they really want to make it better, they need to listen to the people who actually use it.

Fallen-Champ
08-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Far Cry 3 1 map playlist and private and only 7vs7.

Funny because I thought that and to my surprise found that the PC version was 9v9 (18 Players compared 14 players on Console)