PDA

View Full Version : Some things that need to seriously be addressed in the upcoming game

pacmanate
05-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Hello, everyone! Seems like ages since I was here, but I come with some things I feel need to be addressed for the next AC game.

It is rumoured to be a revamp of the series and I am seriously excited, this is the first break we have had since AC1-AC2, and the fact Ubisoft took a break now gives me high hopes.

That said, a little run down on things I hope are added/changed for the new game.

Wishlist

AI - This I hope has had a total overhaul. This could make or break the new game. I don't think AC has ever got AI right, they are either really dumb or can see through walls. This point basically boils down to I hope there is a new AI system that is smarter, but fair.
Progression System - In Syndicate I feel this is broken. I am replaying it now and there are too many things to do at Sequence 4 (there are 9 total), which wouldn't be a bad thing if not for the level system. You can become a Level 10 by Sequence 4, the highest level in the game. This means the second half of the game is a breeze due to you being a tank. For me, that is not fun, I can afford to mess up if I want to because there is no consequence. On the flip side to this, being underpowered is also a problem. 20 slashes with a Kukri to kill someone a higher level? I understand AC isn't supposed to be realistic but the impression I got was a grounded modern day world that had supernatural elements to it due to 'Alien' technology; 'Alien' in this case meaning foreign or other worldly. Add Perks on top of the progression system and combat is even more easy. Combat should not be done this way in my opinion and the Syndicate System is, in my opinion, game breaking. I can choose to do lots of side content at Sequence 4 and get to Level 10 just because I buy new skills, or I can not do any until the game has ended, do the side stuff, and then get low level rewards.
Performance - Unity didn't run well on consoles, this is a known fact. Syndicate ended up having carriages actually FREEZE my PS4 when riding normally, god forbid I use the boost button. Point in case here, any new features added need to be tested properly and please hit that 30 fps mark.
Free Running - This is probably the most subjective point on this list, but here me out. Pretty much every time there is a new free running system, the subsequent game ruins what was good about the previous one. Example 1, the Altair/Ezio System to AC3. Everything about scaling a building in AC3 turned automatic, just hold up and you would somehow get up a building, there was no precision in this and all sense of you doing anything was lost. Example 2, Unity to Syndicate. If I want to do a jump that is going to hurt me, let me do it. In Unity (and past AC games) you could jump freely whilst running whenever you liked and save some health with a roll or be lucky and catch a side of a building. Syndicate botched this and turned free running into 'Safe Running'. You can no longer freely jump, you can't back eject unless somethings right behind you (think this was in Unity too). To me this just felt restricted. If I want to jump off a massive building then let me, let me see if I can survive by MYSELF.

TL:DR - AI needs an overhaul, Progression RPG System needs to go, Performance needs to be checked (especially after the whole delay was due to Unity's fiasco), Free Running needs to be more Free.

Remember these are all opinions, thanks for reading :D

P.S, It feels good to be back

jellejackhammer
05-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Hello, everyone! Seems like ages since I was here, but I come with some things I feel need to be addressed for the next AC game.

It is rumoured to be a revamp of the series and I am seriously excited, this is the first break we have had since AC1-AC2, and the fact Ubisoft took a break now gives me high hopes.

That said, a little run down on things I hope are added/changed for the new game.

Wishlist

AI - This I hope has had a total overhaul. This could make or break the new game. I don't think AC has ever got AI right, they are either really dumb or can see through walls. This point basically boils down to I hope there is a new AI system that is smarter, but fair.
Progression System - In Syndicate I feel this is broken. I am replaying it now and there are too many things to do at Sequence 4 (there are 9 total), which wouldn't be a bad thing if not for the level system. You can become a Level 10 by Sequence 4, the highest level in the game. This means the second half of the game is a breeze due to you being a tank. For me, that is not fun, I can afford to mess up if I want to because there is no consequence. On the flip side to this, being underpowered is also a problem. 20 slashes with a Kukri to kill someone a higher level? I understand AC isn't supposed to be realistic but the impression I got was a grounded modern day world that had supernatural elements to it due to 'Alien' technology; 'Alien' in this case meaning foreign or other worldly. Add Perks on top of the progression system and combat is even more easy. Combat should not be done this way in my opinion and the Syndicate System is, in my opinion, game breaking. I can choose to do lots of side content at Sequence 4 and get to Level 10 just because I buy new skills, or I can not do any until the game has ended, do the side stuff, and then get low level rewards.
Performance - Unity didn't run well on consoles, this is a known fact. Syndicate ended up having carriages actually FREEZE my PS4 when riding normally, god forbid I use the boost button. Point in case here, any new features added need to be tested properly and please hit that 30 fps mark.
Free Running - This is probably the most subjective point on this list, but here me out. Pretty much every time there is a new free running system, the subsequent game ruins what was good about the previous one. Example 1, the Altair/Ezio System to AC3. Everything about scaling a building in AC3 turned automatic, just hold up and you would somehow get up a building, there was no precision in this and all sense of you doing anything was lost. Example 2, Unity to Syndicate. If I want to do a jump that is going to hurt me, let me do it. In Unity (and past AC games) you could jump freely whilst running whenever you liked and save some health with a roll or be lucky and catch a side of a building. Syndicate botched this and turned free running into 'Safe Running'. You can no longer freely jump, you can't back eject unless somethings right behind you (think this was in Unity too). To me this just felt restricted. If I want to jump off a massive building then let me, let me see if I can survive by MYSELF.

TL:DR - AI needs an overhaul, Progression RPG System needs to go, Performance needs to be checked (especially after the whole delay was due to Unity's fiasco), Free Running needs to be more Free.

Remember these are all opinions, thanks for reading :D

P.S, It feels good to be back

i would also like more then 9 sequences this time.

bring back the 12 sequences each with more then 4 missions .

syndicate felt rather short.

welcome back!

ERICATHERINE
05-16-2017, 08:45 PM
I would add that I want multiple save slot. I think there is no good reason why they can't give us this, since ...

1. I don't see which feathures can be more basic to do, with it being in the big majority of the games I have or ever had.

And 2. with the Ezio remasters having being released after syndicate, I think it's way more easy to put that in the next game. ^-^

crusader_prophet
05-16-2017, 08:57 PM
I think it's pretty late now. The nuts and bolts are in place and the design is final. Only remains tightening them.

BananaBlighter
05-16-2017, 10:03 PM

Agreed. As a stealth player, AI is a huge priority.

I'd like to see enemies that do not forget about you and may search the entire mission area until you kill them. Maybe they also alert other guards who becomes suspicious and join the hunt, but only temporarily since they have not actually seen you and aren't entirely convinced.

Hiding bodies has been a mechanic in many of the games, but I just don't feel like it's useful because there are no consequences when a guard sees a dead body, and guards are mostly stationary with patrol paths rarely colliding, meaning there is a low chance of a body being spotted. I think that seeing a dead body should alert a guard in the same way I described above, as it is an unquestionable pice of evidence that indicates the presence of an assassin in the area.

I actually quite liked Syndicate (I doubt you agree with me there), but if there's one thing that I hated the most (excluding the story and overall tone) it was the progression. Especially after Unity (which I feel did progression rather successfully), it was a huge letdown.

In Syndicate, your stats are mostly determined by the skill tree, whereas in Unity they are tied to the gear. In Unity it meant that you had to mix and match different pieces of equipment to create the right balance that would suit your play style, whereas in Syndicate you would be an all-round murdering machine by the end of the game. The other difference is that in Unity you can remove gear if you want a little more challenge, whereas the upgrades in Syndicate are permeant. Also, the difference between high and low level was not as bad in Unity (though it still should be less). Stats should not be about increasing but about balancing and altering.

Unity also had a skill tree, but the majority were unique abilities that developed the gameplay rather than simple stat boosts, which is how it should be. Ideally I wouldn't have a skill tree at all, but instead a set of side missions which each introduce and explain a new and unique ability. It would function just like a skill tree, with certain missions unlocking after certain points in the story or after completing a previous mission, and giving you choice on what order you want to upgrade things. However I don't like this idea that you gain this magical 'XP' from running over lampposts which you then use to 'buy' an ability that turns you invisible when crouching. A mission would be an opportunity to give context to the various upgrades you acquire.

Get rid of levels.

I never had too much of an issue with Unity (more with Syndicate), but yeah this is obviously important.

Completely agree that Syndicate ruined Unity's system, being far too 'safe' in that it actually prevented us from making a lot of jumps. However I don't believe that overall the parkour has gotten worse.

Personally I really don't like the system in the first games simply because of the way the controls were mapped. The fact that sprinting and jumping was tied to 'A' (xbox) meant that you could not change the camera angle while running, often I would be running towards a ledge, but cannot see what lies beyond it, and having to stop sprinting to tilt the camera and check before I proceed.

I like the high level of precision it required, however people often don't realise that a big reason the newer systems are so automated is that the architecture and general building structure is just so much more complex and varied now (which I prefer). Imagine taking AC1's parkour and chucking it into Unity's Paris - it would be atrocious! The first few games had very simplistic and blocky cities, which meant that it was very easy to navigate, and if you missed a jump it really was your fault. That is why it was fair to give the player so much responsibility for the direction of their movements.

Personally I never had issues with AC3's system. It predicted where I wanted to go surprisingly well 99% of the time, and I suffered far less frustration with it than the older games. It also offered more control in other ways than simply the level of precision. For example, it had a very primitive version of controlled descent, where you could hold 'B' (xbox) as you ran up to a ledge, and instead of jumping forward, you would jump straight down. This was lacking in the older games, and without it, getting to street level meant either jumping outwards very far, or hanging then dropping and then turning around, both of which were very time consuming. AC3's parkour also had BY FAR the best animation, consistently fluidly connecting moves with realistic (unlike Unity) but satisfyingly impressive (unlike AC1) motion.

Unity is functionally my favourite system to be honest. The addition of controlled descent was a hugely beneficial change, giving us a system that offered more control over our action than ever before, and absolutely essential for navigating the varied and complex architecture of Paris. It allowed players who used it correctly to find efficient routes and gave an amazingly satisfying sense of fluidity. The only issues I have are that the animation was clearly not as polished, and I was getting more cases of the game taking me where i didn't want to go than in AC3 (though again, that is mostly due to the complex building structure).

Seeing as the urban landscape in Ancient Egypt shouldn't be anywhere near as sophisticated as that of London or Paris, I don't see why we shouldn't get a system that gives us more precision. If it can also achieve the level of animation of AC3 and the fluid freedom of movement of Unity, then I would not be able to complain.

dxsxhxcx
05-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Agree with everything + difficulty settings (outside/inside the game, I don't care), about time to add these for those looking for a more challenging experience, (if immersion is the problem) there are plenty of excuses that could be used to justified them or just allow us to choose the difficulty we want to play the game before the story even begins....

pacmanate
05-16-2017, 10:37 PM
i would also like more then 9 sequences this time.
bring back the 12 sequences each with more then 4 missions .
welcome back!

I do agree with this to an extent. Obviously length doesn't = quality, but that doesn't mean it can't. Also, Thank You!

I would add that I want multiple save slot.

Oh man, forgot about this! It is really annoying having to delete my save files to do re-runs. I always liked keeping a 'Master' Save as you will with that nice 100% on it. Apparently the one save was due to all the Online stuff they added. It could only track one save at a time, hence the save slot restriction.

I think it's pretty late now. The nuts and bolts are in place and the design is final. Only remains tightening them.

Of course, but this is just a wishlist. It's things I really hope have been addressed as in my opinion, if some of these aren't, then it could just be the same old same old.

- SNIP.

Thanks for the huge reply!

AI - In response to what you said, a deeper system is needed in a 'Stealth' game (Is it even stealth anymore?). I like the idea of guards telling other guards. Perhaps even suspicion of blood? Could make them go onto an aware state but not alert.

Progression - I did like Syndicate, but the progression system really tied it down. Levels don't need to be there to make you feel more skillful. Skills should make you feel more skillful. I would be happy if skill trees stayed but were done in a different way, or done away completely. In hindsight, AC2 had you learn skills with the story, and I loved how natural that was, I wouldn't mind that kind of system again.

Agree with everything + difficulty settings (outside/inside the game, I don't care), about time to add these for those looking for a more challenging experience, (if immersion is the problem) there are plenty of excuses that could be used to justified them or just allow us to choose the difficulty we want to play the game before the story even begins....

Difficulty settings outside of the game would be better than having difficulty tied to 'Enemy Level'. This doesn't even make sense from a real world standpoint. The Animus is showing memories, you didn't have to be a certain level in real life to kill someone easily. That's just Animus trickery! If they can do that, they could give us the option to manually adjust difficulty level. In essence, say we had levels still, Normal could be all enemies scale to your level, hard could be 2 levels above etc etc. They could just do that and keep all the numbers in the back.

cawatrooper9
05-17-2017, 05:35 PM
You know, I agree about the progression system. I'd like a way for enemies to scale with the player a bit- in so much so that leveling up is still rewarding, but not game breaking.

ERICATHERINE
05-18-2017, 12:03 AM
Oh man, forgot about this! It is really annoying having to delete my save files to do re-runs. I always liked keeping a 'Master' Save as you will with that nice 100% on it. Apparently the one save was due to all the Online stuff they added. It could only track one save at a time, hence the save slot restriction.

This. ^-^

LoyalACFan
05-18-2017, 02:43 AM
Yeah, in principle, I agree with everything in your list, Pac. Especially about the AI.

I'd add one more thing though; combat animations. I know it's just a cosmetic thing, but good Lord, the combat animations in Syndicate were ludicrous. Jacob and Evie just flung 200-pound dudes around like they were nothing.

pacmanate
05-18-2017, 09:46 PM
Yeah, in principle, I agree with everything in your list, Pac. Especially about the AI.

I'd add one more thing though; combat animations. I know it's just a cosmetic thing, but good Lord, the combat animations in Syndicate were ludicrous. Jacob and Evie just flung 200-pound dudes around like they were nothing.

Yeah it felt to snappy and the enemies looked really cartoonish in animation

SixKeys
05-18-2017, 09:54 PM

Agreed. Loved the feel of the combat, but the animations were a letdown. AC has always impressed me with its detailed animations, I hope they won't start sliding on this.

Helforsite
05-20-2017, 11:37 AM
Agreed. Loved the feel of the combat, but the animations were a letdown. AC has always impressed me with its detailed animations, I hope they won't start sliding on this.
I am not too worried about it with Syndicate being made by Ubisoft Quebec and all.