PDA

View Full Version : Syndicate and the "soft reboot"

Jelpancho
05-16-2017, 05:57 PM
Whilst I'm totally thrilled at the step back and deeper thought going into AC, I wanted to bring up my thoughts on the train wreck that was syndicate.

Syndicate was a game with wreaths of unrealized potential, in probably one of the most interesting time periods and locations in history. Victorian london. Instead of exploring the depths of this wondrous time and place, syndicate chose to focus on fan service celebrities and deeply unrelatable and superficial characters. If ever AC wanted to delve deeper into storytelling this would have been the place. Bring us a deep Victorian drama stepped in the chaos and madness that is the assassin Templar conflict.

And don't even get me started on the joke that was the map. I totally get the game world has to be compressed... but after the phenomenal representation of Paris... this was a joke. I mean come on... not even a proper oxford street?! Really?!

As such this venture has left me SEVERELY wanting for a quality assasins creed esque mature Victorian drama. I want to leave this here in hopes that the assassins creed team will revisit this time and place with a game of equivalent in quality to what I hope will be the best game yet with this romp in Egypt.

I hope many more of you agree with me. It would be even more amazing if you all agree that syndicate should be scrapped from canon, giving the devs free roam once again. I'd also be happy to Point out fantastic reference material to produce an awesome Victorian London

Ok rant over

cawatrooper9
05-16-2017, 07:32 PM
I guess I'm not really on the same page as you regarding what this has to do with a soft reboot. What was done in Syndicate that requires it to be "scrapped from canon"?

jellejackhammer
05-16-2017, 07:42 PM
Whilst I'm totally thrilled at the step back and deeper thought going into AC, I wanted to bring up my thoughts on the train wreck that was syndicate.

Syndicate was a game with wreaths of unrealized potential, in probably one of the most interesting time periods and locations in history. Victorian london. Instead of exploring the depths of this wondrous time and place, syndicate chose to focus on fan service celebrities and deeply unrelatable and superficial characters. If ever AC wanted to delve deeper into storytelling this would have been the place. Bring us a deep Victorian drama stepped in the chaos and madness that is the assassin Templar conflict.

And don't even get me started on the joke that was the map. I totally get the game world has to be compressed... but after the phenomenal representation of Paris... this was a joke. I mean come on... not even a proper oxford street?! Really?!

As such this venture has left me SEVERELY wanting for a quality assasins creed esque mature Victorian drama. I want to leave this here in hopes that the assassins creed team will revisit this time and place with a game of equivalent in quality to what I hope will be the best game yet with this romp in Egypt.

I hope many more of you agree with me. It would be even more amazing if you all agree that syndicate should be scrapped from canon, giving the devs free roam once again. I'd also be happy to Point out fantastic reference material to produce an awesome Victorian London

Ok rant over

so what you are saying is that you didn't like syndicate so it's should be ignored storywise?

SMH

ze_topazio
05-16-2017, 08:15 PM
I PROTEST TO THE UBi, UBI BE CHANGE!

Weirdazoid
05-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Scrapping it from canon is a bit extreme, don't you think?

phoenix-force411
05-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Kind of defeats the purpose of playing it. Also, Syndicate was a major step in the right direction in terms of modern day. It was about time Galina was officially introduced into the games, and she is probably more interesting than Desmond as an MD character.

LoyalACFan
05-22-2017, 02:57 AM
Kind of defeats the purpose of playing it. Also, Syndicate was a major step in the right direction in terms of modern day. It was about time Galina was officially introduced into the games, and she is probably more interesting than Desmond as an MD character.

I disagree, Galina (at least in the game) is basically a walking sack of "crazy Russian" stereotypes.

That said, I can certainly sympathize with the OP's opinion. I deeply dislike Syndicate's story. However, they can't just strike it from history like it never happened; best to just look forward and hope they take a different tack in the future.

Helforsite
05-22-2017, 01:46 PM

Agreed.

cawatrooper9
05-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Regardless how you feel about Galina, Berg, the Shroud, Sean and Rebecca, or (shudders in uncomfortable cringiness) Dr. Grammatica, at least they're clearly laying the groundwork for a story.

I still feel like the constant talk of "reboot" the last few years has actually been why the series is floundering. If they'd stuck with any of these abandoned storylines- ACL's Erudito stuff, AC4/RO's Abstergo Entertainment, ACU''s Initiates... if they'd at least committed to any one of those, they'd at have been free to actually tell a story, rather than having to revert back to laying the groundwork again. It'd be like if every single game in the series was limited by telling a story the same was as AC1's MD sections.

So regardless of whether or not you liked ACS, they at least did more. There's a lot going on in that universe now, and I think it might be one of the worst times ever to reboot. Things are actually happening now, let's see where it goes, for once!