PDA

View Full Version : How could you make crossplay possible?

ELDRIX_
05-16-2017, 10:03 AM
I am no expert in this topic,yet I'd love to see crossplay in For Honor.
However unfortunately the servers are not stable enough.

So my idea is

-play with added friends only (so basically you wont get to play with other players in the usual multiplayer mode)
-create a custom game and play with them on different servers
-join a lobby with other players, who might not have enough to do like 4v4s

As I said I am no expert, so I don't really know how much of that would be possible, but I would like
to discuss this topic further.

Darkeater.Midir
05-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Cross play as in... playing with those on PS4 from PC? If you didn't mean this I'll delete this post but if that's what you mean, it's possible but very unlikely they'd implement.

I'll list why

1. It's unfair to have certain players running at max 30 fps when pc users would have 60+ even if it's just for fun custom games. They'd never allow it.

2. This game is already running and built around peer-to-peer. It'd require quite some work to build a server based around this game and even then there'd be loads of issues from the transition even if it's JUST for pc-Xbox-PS4 use. Edit: You can use peer to peer for crossplay but look at issue 1.

I'd love to be able to play with folks on the consoles but it really would be unfair. For a quick example...Peacekeeper and to some extent Valkyrie are an overwhelming problem for them due to 30 fps where as Valkyrie, and to some extent PK, are much easier dealt with on PC.

Egotistic_Ez
05-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Crossplay with P2P is actually very easy to accomplish. You might get xbone and pc crossplay, microsoft are spruiking their "play anywhere" bs of late, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Sony will never be on board.

ELDRIX_
05-16-2017, 10:51 AM
yes I did mean PC xBOX and PS4

so we would have to wait for next gen consoles?

Herbstlicht
05-16-2017, 11:00 AM
For a competetive game that is inviting cheaters? Please, never ever crossplay. On console, the playing field is evened out. Everything is square and fair. On PC, your opponent of course could have been that good - or he just cheated. You may have just had a disconnect .. or this was forced by some hacking kiddo. So, no, as long as you can't handle cheaters, there is no way the majority of console players would ever wish for cross play. Quiet the opposite. If a game with crossplay like For Honor would have been announced, I would never ever have jumped onto it.

Not saying it can't work though!
See Final Fantasy XIV. Cross PS3, PS4, XBox, PC - that is some amazing feat. But they got dedicated Servers where all character data is stored, it is not really competitive due to the fact of it being a MMORPG and no one has some "real" advantages in the end. At least, if you don't start counting frames or such.

But even the greatest companys with years of experience continue to struggle with cheaters. Blizzard with Overwatch, Counterstrike, Battlefield .. pretty much all competetive games attract these kind of players. And console really seems rather free from those. Not saying cheating or the like is completely impossible, someone here wrote if you connect your console via pc and do some stuff you can do some hacking stuff. Personally, I have no clue how this might work but well, I am no expert there.

So just leave us console players in our little world. We enjoy it, even at 30 fps. And we don't want to play with the master race that would spit into our face telling: "trololol, if you wanna win, get a pc, peasant!" - with us only being able to answer "wow wow wow".

Still, somewhat a weirdly funny thought.