PDA

View Full Version : Slowly maturing with the Il2 sim series...........

Jumoschwanz
05-19-2004, 10:09 PM
As I write this another patch for the il2 sim series slowly trickles through my 56k modem.

I have downloaded all the patches this way since the series came out, going on three years now? Wow.

A bit ago CrazyIvan said it was going to be two months, I guess the uproar goaded them into releasing less than they wanted to sooner? IF this is the case I guess whatever we get this time around we can't complain about at all. I am grateful for any new patches and toys/features to play with.

Something I have decided is funny is how with every patch there is a new wave of approval/disapproval from each as to how their main ride has been made uber or has been porked.

It is funny now because as time goes by I change and everything naturally looks different. When the sim was young and I was new to it and used to more arcadish sims, the performance of my favorite plane, usually the 109 series, was very important to the level of satisfaction I got out of the sim. If a patch came out that hurt my style of virtual success it was a major letdown.
Well I got over it to a large extent and here is how: I started to fly in the sim, how the WWII pilots in the history books did, then what plane you are in and it's performance is not a factor.

First off, look for servers that have the cockpit on and no icons or external views.

I read that 80% of those shot down in WWII never saw it coming, they were bounced. You are not going to surprise anyone in a wonder woman/arcade server with big blue arrows and icons to id enemy planes.

Next I started to use the zoom and boom, the method that was actually used in WWII by pilots that survived and were successful. Get high, look around, dive to get great speed and get under the target to highlite them against the sky and eliminate the nose of your plane obstructing your view, fire at target, get back up and away to look for the next shot.

If you make a choice to get low and slow in a furball expect to get shot to pieces off someone's tail.

Using these tactics on a near full real server you can shoot down a p-51D with a 109Emil, or a Me262 with an I-16.

The arcade servers can be fun, but everyone either flies the latest uber plane, or whines about the latest plane that is uber, because in the arcade server the conditions that were there in WWII are not. 80% of those shot down in an arcade server do see it coming, so your success in the arcade server, or the "turn fight", depends a lot more on what you are flying instead how you yourself fly what you have.

Things WWII aces said:

"Always from above, seldom from even, never from below"

"If i found myself in a dogfight, I knew I f(*&cked up!"

So my main two concerns about future patches is being grateful that with all the other projects going they have not stopped releasing Il2 patches period, this will happen at some point in the future right? And also just plain having the patches so I can fly with those online, which is most of my fun with this sim.

If the new patch turns my 109 into a dog, it has happened before, it won't be a big deal for me like it was a bit ago, because when I come out of the sun with a ton of E and zoom up your a$$ and fill it with slugs it won't matter if I am flying a Me262 or a Gloster Gladiator, I will have gotten the drop on you and your time will be up. As mine has been in the same situation, and as it was for those 80% in WWII who bought it, god rest their souls.

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
05-19-2004, 10:09 PM
As I write this another patch for the il2 sim series slowly trickles through my 56k modem.

I have downloaded all the patches this way since the series came out, going on three years now? Wow.

A bit ago CrazyIvan said it was going to be two months, I guess the uproar goaded them into releasing less than they wanted to sooner? IF this is the case I guess whatever we get this time around we can't complain about at all. I am grateful for any new patches and toys/features to play with.

Something I have decided is funny is how with every patch there is a new wave of approval/disapproval from each as to how their main ride has been made uber or has been porked.

It is funny now because as time goes by I change and everything naturally looks different. When the sim was young and I was new to it and used to more arcadish sims, the performance of my favorite plane, usually the 109 series, was very important to the level of satisfaction I got out of the sim. If a patch came out that hurt my style of virtual success it was a major letdown.
Well I got over it to a large extent and here is how: I started to fly in the sim, how the WWII pilots in the history books did, then what plane you are in and it's performance is not a factor.

First off, look for servers that have the cockpit on and no icons or external views.

I read that 80% of those shot down in WWII never saw it coming, they were bounced. You are not going to surprise anyone in a wonder woman/arcade server with big blue arrows and icons to id enemy planes.

Next I started to use the zoom and boom, the method that was actually used in WWII by pilots that survived and were successful. Get high, look around, dive to get great speed and get under the target to highlite them against the sky and eliminate the nose of your plane obstructing your view, fire at target, get back up and away to look for the next shot.

If you make a choice to get low and slow in a furball expect to get shot to pieces off someone's tail.

Using these tactics on a near full real server you can shoot down a p-51D with a 109Emil, or a Me262 with an I-16.

The arcade servers can be fun, but everyone either flies the latest uber plane, or whines about the latest plane that is uber, because in the arcade server the conditions that were there in WWII are not. 80% of those shot down in an arcade server do see it coming, so your success in the arcade server, or the "turn fight", depends a lot more on what you are flying instead how you yourself fly what you have.

Things WWII aces said:

"Always from above, seldom from even, never from below"

"If i found myself in a dogfight, I knew I f(*&cked up!"

So my main two concerns about future patches is being grateful that with all the other projects going they have not stopped releasing Il2 patches period, this will happen at some point in the future right? And also just plain having the patches so I can fly with those online, which is most of my fun with this sim.

If the new patch turns my 109 into a dog, it has happened before, it won't be a big deal for me like it was a bit ago, because when I come out of the sun with a ton of E and zoom up your a$$ and fill it with slugs it won't matter if I am flying a Me262 or a Gloster Gladiator, I will have gotten the drop on you and your time will be up. As mine has been in the same situation, and as it was for those 80% in WWII who bought it, god rest their souls.

Jumoschwanz

Freycinet
05-20-2004, 03:11 AM
there's a sick, wonderful satisfaction in slowly creeping up behind an unknowing soul, place the pipper on his fanny, zoom view, and then let him have it... hehe...hehhh....

Rageman
05-20-2004, 03:59 AM
do you realise that "fanny" means something totally different to us Brits http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/59.gif

edit: oh and jumoschwanz, beautifully put http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/sfisher1977/logos/lomaclogo.jpg

Yellonet
05-20-2004, 04:08 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself Jumoschwanz =) You've got the right attitude if I may say so.

- Yellonet

Jumoschwanz
05-20-2004, 05:14 AM
And oh yea,

I am lazy these days also. The best part of a long, turn and burn fight for me is when it is over. The zoom and boom kill is much less work, and much less stress. Maybe it is because I am forty something. Every now and then the turn and burn matchup between equal pilots and planes is fun, but I can't take that kind of excitement and stress for long. It makes me tired.

Maybe turn and burning for a while is neccesary to develop the skill in handling the plane and keeping it sharp. But once you have got it down, it is time to take a break?

Jumoschwanz