PDA

View Full Version : Rocksmith on iOS: Official Feedback Thread

DanAmrich
05-15-2017, 10:58 PM
Hi everybody. The iOS edition of Rocksmith (https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/rocksmith-learn-guitar-fast/id1156067319?l=en&ls=1&mt=8) has been in development for a long time, and the soft launch in Canada is just the beginning. We are eager to hear what you think so we can continue to update the app, squash bugs, and generally improve things as it evolves.

I would ask, however, that you not use this thread to offer feedback on an app you haven't played yet! While it's currently only available in some regions, we're really looking for experience-based feedback so we can hear what you like after you've tried it, what you don't like after you've tried it, and details about any issues you're experiencing with the app.

The devs have been working on this for some time, so you can imagine they really want to hear from you! Please use this thread to share your thoughts, bug reports, suggestions, and whatever comes to mind after you've given it a try. Thanks!

bfors
05-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Just spent about 30 minutes playing bass on Amazing Grace in Riff Repeater. The arrangement is more challenging than I anticipated!

Connected with a Peavey Ampkit Link through headphone/microphone jack on iPad AIr. I was afraid my output level wouldn't be high enough but I got through initialization OK (playing Fender Standard Jazz bass with Dimarzio Model J pickups).

Everything went OK. It is easier to change the Riff Repeater settings on the iPad than on PC. Only downside I had is the reflective iPad screen is annoying, but that does not have anything to do with Rocksmith.

The menu changes and load times are quick and overall the app met expectations! Thank you for this portable way to play Rocksmith.

ZagatoZee
05-16-2017, 06:28 PM
Just spent about 30 minutes playing bass on Amazing Grace in Riff Repeater. .....

The preview videos in this article - http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/05/16/ubisoft-bringing-guitar-learning-game-rocksmith-ipad/ - make it look like the ios version has terrible latency, did you experience this, or do you just think it is an artefact of the process of recording from an iPad?

Can't wait until it is more widely available.

imfuraisoth
05-16-2017, 06:29 PM
I'm guessing DLC isn't transferable as the iOS app is part of the Apple ecosystem rather than the Steam ecosystem?

Spinner6969
05-16-2017, 06:55 PM
I tried it out, I usually use my ipad with my amp to play with pedals, Rocksmith did not like this setup too much noise. So I swiitch to ipan and headsets.

First I used an iRig HD which has no headset output and plugged my Bose headset into the headphone jack of my ipad air......no sound thru the headset. Also tried bluetooth but the sound was not available to my bt headsets.

I also have an original iRig which takes a headset - success! no latency here.
Now the megag question - Do I need to buy all of my songs over again?

bfors
05-16-2017, 07:30 PM
The audio seems to be out of sync in the http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/05/16/ub...ocksmith-ipad/ video.

I could not detect any latency in my play testing. The Peavey interface I'm using is analog and works in Garageband. But it does introduce noticeable hiss into the guitar signal.

I'm assuming there is some latency caused by the app/iPad processing but it is not noticeable.

ZagatoZee
05-16-2017, 07:37 PM
The audio seems to be out of sync in the http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/05/16/ub...ocksmith-ipad/ video.

I could not detect any latency in my play testing. The Peavey interface I'm using is analog and works in Garageband. But it does introduce noticeable hiss into the guitar signal.

I'm assuming there is some latency caused by the app/iPad processing but it is not noticeable.

Awesome, thank you, hope for a good user experience restored..

It is pretty sad that the publication that gets to break the news on the topic posts videos that makes users think it'd be unplayable as a latency monster - and refer to Rocksmith as Rockband in their article.

https://i.gyazo.com/9a94d05f3d380a8e88cbc01d25736028.png

DanAmrich
05-16-2017, 07:58 PM
I'm guessing DLC isn't transferable as the iOS app is part of the Apple ecosystem rather than the Steam ecosystem?

Correct -- that's in the FAQ (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1668565-Rocksmith-on-iOS-General-Questions-amp-Answers), but it's the same as all other platforms. To use the infamous fast food analogy: Even though McDonald's and Burger King might both serve Coca-Cola, you can't go to Burger King and get a refill for your McDonald's cup. :)

DanAmrich
05-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Do I need to buy all of my songs over again?

The iOS library is smaller than the console library (being a day old!) but your existing purchases do not transfer because Apple does not honor purchases from Sony, Microsoft, or Valve's stores. Please check out the FAQ (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1668565-Rocksmith-on-iOS-General-Questions-amp-Answers) for more details.

Spinner6969
05-16-2017, 08:54 PM
The iOS library is smaller than the console library (being a day old!) but your existing purchases do not transfer because Apple does not honor purchases from Sony, Microsoft, or Valve's stores. Please check out the FAQ (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1668565-Rocksmith-on-iOS-General-Questions-amp-Answers) for more details.

Thats too bad I was hoping to use it outdoors this summer with my headphones, To duplicate my library would be very expensive. Guess for new users it will be a good place to start. I will not be using it and will stick with rocsmith on my iMac.

Nice interface and Good luck with it.

happypc
05-17-2017, 01:42 AM
Any intention of looking at an Android version as well?

Maybe Samsung Pro Audio interface?

TheJohnNewton
05-17-2017, 04:45 AM
Any intention of looking at an Android version as well?

Maybe Samsung Pro Audio interface?

Per their FAQ the are focusing on iOS only:

"Is Rocksmith coming to other mobile platforms?
We are focused on making a high-quality iOS product at this time."

While interesting I'm not re-purchasing content on a different platform. I hope it does well though.

Mad_Al__
05-17-2017, 06:49 PM
This is great news, can't wait get it, I'll admit I'm a little annoyed as it has exclusive songs! I have DLC OCD. There are now 6 songs I'll never get on PC!

Izzzzzzzy
05-18-2017, 03:27 AM
The app looks great I'm very excited to see this . However I've come across a bug. The tuner is off by 24 nets across the board. I tested using an electric piano and a strobe tuner.

DanAmrich
05-19-2017, 12:00 AM
The app looks great I'm very excited to see this . However I've come across a bug. The tuner is off by 24 nets across the board. I tested using an electric piano and a strobe tuner.

Can you give us some info about a) what device you are using b) what version if iOS you are using and c) what input device you are using? We need to start the conversation there. :)

Izzzzzzzy
05-19-2017, 05:00 AM
Can you give us some info about a) what device you are using b) what version if iOS you are using and c) what input device you are using? We need to start the conversation there. :)

Dan,
Certainly, im using an iPad Air 2 running iOS v 10.3.1. i was using the microphone mode with my acoustic guitar, and referenced it with my piano and various tuners. I used a snark tuner, boss TU-2 tuner, and strobe tuner on the ipad. all the tuners gave the same result, the piano was dead on, but when i played the piano into rocksmith's tuner, it showed to be 24 cents sharp on every "string".

Burnonetwo
05-19-2017, 05:46 AM
I-phones are to small make it work for Android OS Please. Rocksmith is made for bigger screens.

rs_pete
05-19-2017, 07:27 AM
I tried it out, I usually use my ipad with my amp to play with pedals, Rocksmith did not like this setup too much noise. So I swiitch to ipan and headsets.

First I used an iRig HD which has no headset output and plugged my Bose headset into the headphone jack of my ipad air......no sound thru the headset. Also tried bluetooth but the sound was not available to my bt headsets.

I also have an original iRig which takes a headset - success! no latency here.
Now the megag question - Do I need to buy all of my songs over again?

Spinner, can you detail out the exact hardware you were using? Which model Bose headphones, iRig HD, etc. What order did you plug in the devices? Also, is your issue reproducible?

Thanks!

DanAmrich
05-19-2017, 05:32 PM
I-phones are to small make it work for Android OS Please. Rocksmith is made for bigger screens.

As the FAQ (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1668565-Rocksmith-on-iOS-General-Questions-amp-Answers) states, we are only focusing on the iOS version at this time (no Android is currently in the works) and the iPhone will be an option for those who want it, but you can keep using 9" and 12" iPads if that's a better experience for you.

parisg1974
05-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Does this guitar works natively with rocksmith ios?

Deluxe Stratocaster® HSS Plus Top with iOS Connectivity

http://www.fender.com.au/fender-electric-guitar-details.cfm?pID=0144732331&bc=series&bcid=40

UbiVertigo
05-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Does this guitar works natively with rocksmith ios?

Deluxe Stratocaster® HSS Plus Top with iOS Connectivity

http://www.fender.com.au/fender-electric-guitar-details.cfm?pID=0144732331&bc=series&bcid=40

Rocksmith for iOS is compatbile with any 48K audio device that uses Apple's Core Audio technology. That said, this guitar has not been tested with the software.

Spinner6969
05-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Spinner, can you detail out the exact hardware you were using? Which model Bose headphones, iRig HD, etc. What order did you plug in the devices? Also, is your issue reproducible?

Thanks!

I was able to get it to work with the original iRig, plugged in the guitar and headset then opened the app. My Bose headphone are BT and wired, only worked with the wired version. I also have the iRig HD 2 which has a headphone jack unlike the iRig HD. I am not using the app on my ipad any longer - not going to pay to replace all of the dlc's I have already purchased.

The app worked great with the songs that it cam with......just not something I really need as I usually use Rocksmith with my Princeton.BTW the iRig HD 2 does not require a splitter as it has a in and out jack which i run thru my a/b pedal.

Bagstah
05-25-2017, 06:16 PM
I don't know it it's something possible for you guys, but doing something a-la Just Dance Now on with this game may be fantastic! Like 1-2 "free" song per week, or a VIP subscription that give access to more songs.

SquirrellyNinja
05-25-2017, 06:22 PM
I was able to get it to work with the original iRig, plugged in the guitar and headset then opened the app. My Bose headphone are BT and wired, only worked with the wired version. I also have the iRig HD 2 which has a headphone jack unlike the iRig HD. I am not using the app on my ipad any longer - not going to pay to replace all of the dlc's I have already purchased.

The app worked great with the songs that it cam with......just not something I really need as I usually use Rocksmith with my Princeton.BTW the iRig HD 2 does not require a splitter as it has a in and out jack which i run thru my a/b pedal.

Is it possible that the app detected your Bose headphones as a input device when you plugged it into the headphone jack?

phillipjoconnor
05-28-2017, 12:07 AM
Thanks Ubi price was right, the software is very cool ! I purchased the blue oyster pack, the man who sold the world and keep yourself alive ! Looking forward to more songs for the platform ....

Some observations ... I have head phone jack Irig, lightning plug Irig and a lightning USB adapter. All 3 work, the lightning Irig works best, best sound best response. Headphone jack works fine but the guitar does not sound as good as the digital input via lightning plug. The sound from the Rocksmith cable and USB lightning cable sounded worse than the other 2.

Sometimes the sound driver crashes. Sound is working (I went to my play list and played a song) the guitar seems to be detected in game but has no output. Fortunately the game boots up pretty quick and this usually fixes the issue!

It's fun, it's portable, I like it ...... and again thanks!

Black_Widow9
05-28-2017, 02:57 AM
Great to hear flipper, thanks!

Could you let us know the details of your iOS here?
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1674371-What-s-Your-Rocksmith-for-iOS-Setup

ALuomala68
06-07-2017, 04:26 AM
The only issue I have is when I pause whilst using RiffRepeater, there is no way (that I have figured out) to keep going where I just left off. So, if I start out at 100% difficulty, and 20% speed, and have it increase when I get enough notes correct, and let's say I have made it up to 70% before pausing, when I restart RiffRepeater, it drops down to what I initially started at (20%). Not a huge deal, but if I lose track of what speed (or difficulty) I was at, I have to either go back to whatever I started at, or guesstimate what percentage I was at.

Another bit of an annoyance is that when you pause, there is no way to see the note highway (due to the menu overlay). There are times I just want to pause when there is a tricky bit and have the screen stop moving, and I can have a static view of the notes that I need to work on. I find I do MUCH better if I can just practice those notes, over and over while they aren't moving, rather than having it start over and having to hit a moving targer (so to speak).

Otherwise, I am really enjoying the iOS version (have it on PC and PS3 and PS4), since I can practice outside and enjoy our 2 weeks of Canadian summer! :cool:

Allan

toymachinesh
06-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Yeah that's a remastered feature (the pause menu simplification) that should be added to iOS for sure

Gold_Jim
06-08-2017, 03:04 PM
A well timed screenshot, perhaps, as a workaround.

ALuomala68
06-10-2017, 01:55 AM
A well timed screenshot, perhaps, as a workaround.

This is actually a smart idea. Initially I was going to dismiss this as less than elegant, but if one were to go throughout a given song (not playing, just focusing on screen-grabbing) you could get all the parts you wanted and they would be captured to your photos folder, and you could group them my song/artist, and then quickly scroll through them, practicing those sections at your leisure.

I would still like to see a method of pausing and seeing the note highway (for the reason I mentioned) without any overlay (or a more minimized overlay), but it seems to be a method of preventing "cheating" on many games (i.e you can't pause to give yourself time to figure out your next move, etc) and it has migrated it's way onto this platform.

Another thing I was wondering was why aren't there any lyrics? Not sure if it's a licensing thing, or just due to the fact that there isn't a method to sing along (like on the other platforms). I like reading the lyrics: they help me memorize what passages fit in where on a song, plus sometimes I actually learn the CORRECT lyrics to a song, not what I thought they were for the last 30-40 years :p

hauke76
06-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Hi,

thanks for creating an iPad app. I am looking forward to the global release.

I was able to test the software and it worked nicely with the built in microphone and my Lakewood acoustic guitar.

I also tried the software by connecting two different guitars via the Sonic Port VX from Line6 to the lightning port but I failed to pass the calibration step since the volume was too low. Is this the Sonic Port VX simply not supported?

One last thing is that there is a minor translation glitch in the riff-repeater settings screen of the German version. The button at the bottom right which starts the riff-repeater is named "Neustart" which means "restart". It took me some time to find out that "Neustart" meant "Start Riff-Repeater".

Thanks again for building the app! I am definitely going to enjoy it.

Cheers,
Hauke

ALuomala68
06-20-2017, 04:16 AM
Just wanted to give a bit of an update to my progress with Rocksmith for iOS so far (about 2 or 3 weeks in):

1) The free songs (Ode To Joy, Frere Jacques, The Saints Go Marching In, Amazing Grace) were excellent choices! I know that they might not seem "rock" on the surface, but once you start to play them, you realize the notetrackers hit the jackpot with what I presume are "public domain" (i.e free to license) songs. I saw a post on FB regarding the free songs, and as is typical in this day and age, someone was butthurt about the lack of "free" songs (they wanted more! It's a free app, and they wanted more free songs!! I weep for our future.....). These songs are instantly familiar, yet challenging. Some of the arrangements are simple (I maxed out the difficulty to 100% and am able to get 99 or 100% and I'm an advanced beginner, at best), but some of the alternate arrangements are tricky (I'm at 75% to 90% on those). "Frere Jacques" starts off as a bit of a sleeper (almost songs like one of those rock songs made into a lullaby for babies) but then you get a bit of a metal rhythm going and you can head bang to it (a bit).

2) Some of the songs/packs are definitely not worth the money, but that is kind of a given, depending on your taste in music. David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World" (made popular by Nirvana in the 90's) is pretty much the easiest song to play ever, right next to The Black Key's "Next Girl". I guess if you want to stroke your ego and be able to say to got 99.9% on a song after 3 or 4 tries (or your first try, maybe), go ahead and buy them, but....

3) The song/pack prices are a little high, IMO. They are higher than what I'm paying on Steam (I think it's $3.29 CDN per song normally on Steam, and $3.99 CDN on iOS) and there are no lyrics provided. Not sure if that is only for the soft release, but it seems like a bit of a rip-off. Granted, the app is free (for now), so if you factor that into the price-per-song, I guess it evens out in the short term.

4) The lack of games (skill development) is a bit of a disappointment, as I feel that it would really be a good selling point (along with the freebie songs that are provided, it would be a pretty easy sell to school music departments to invest in the app/songs for school music programs, since it seems that a lot of schools have iPads for educational purposes, as well as a lot of students having access to iPads from home). If you were to throw in Session Mode, the potential for students is incredible.

If the app itself is to remain free (not sure what the road map is for this app, so it's just conjecture on my part....), and add-on's (in the form of DLC) were to include Session Mode and the arcade games (for skill development) were to be added on for a reasonable price (let's say $15-$20 CDN, or $12-$15 US) per, that would be a pretty decent deal. I'm not going to get into the "I already paid for RS2014 (and DLC) on PC/PSx/XBox/etc!!! Why do I have to pay again?!?" argument, because I understand it's a licensing issue, and people need to get paid. Anybody who thinks that there is such thing as a free lunch needs to wake up and move out of their parents basement and into the real world. Besides, if you don't have an iPad, and don't NEED RS2014 for iOS, don't get it: no one is forcing you. The market will decide if it survives, and expecting something for nothing isn't reality.

Anyway, I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience with RS2014 for iOS so far, and hope to watch it evolve.

Allan

phillipjoconnor
06-26-2017, 11:33 PM
What's going on? Everything seems to be working fine ... get to calibration and all of a sudden my guitar goes silent and I cannot play my songs ? What's going on ?

DanAmrich
06-27-2017, 12:12 AM
What's going on? Everything seems to be working fine ... get to calibration and all of a sudden my guitar goes silent and I cannot play my songs ? What's going on ?

We're going to need more info to try to help.

Are you playing electric or acoustic?
What kind of guitar is it?
Does your guitar use active electronics (onboard 9-volt battery)?
What interface are you using to connect, or are you using the internal microphone?
What iPad hardware are you using?
What version of iOS are you using?

Let's start there and see what we can figure out together. :)

ALuomala68
06-27-2017, 09:31 PM
After the latest update (.92?!?) my Rocksmith app lost all my saved file data: had to go through set-up again and all my saved games (i.e progress on each song) was reset to 0. Not a big deal, except for the progress on a few of the trickier songs (Megadeath "Symphony of Destruction"), but I decided to ramp it up to 100% for difficulty and slow down sections that need work.

The volume seems louder now and acoustic tones seem better, but that could just be me.

UbiVertigo
06-28-2017, 09:37 PM
After the latest update (.92?!?) my Rocksmith app lost all my saved file data: had to go through set-up again and all my saved games (i.e progress on each song) was reset to 0. Not a big deal, except for the progress on a few of the trickier songs (Megadeath "Symphony of Destruction"), but I decided to ramp it up to 100% for difficulty and slow down sections that need work.

The volume seems louder now and acoustic tones seem better, but that could just be me.

Hi ALuomaLa68, thanks very much for bringing up the save issue, this information is really helpful to us. We pushed the issue to the team yesterday, and they are actively investigating.

DanAmrich
07-06-2017, 06:41 PM

Thank you for this feedback. You were totally right and the team was able to implement a hotfix for this -- it's live now. Save games should no longer be reset, and we really appreciate the heads-up about this -- it led directly to the solution!

Dan

ALuomala68
07-19-2017, 04:23 AM
Just checking in after the latest update (.93).

These are general observations, not really serious issues:

1) The lack of lyrics is a little disconcerting. Will there be lyrics in the finished product? I mentioned this in a previous post but it wasn't addressed.

2) I'm not sure if I'm using the right term, but the chord name isn't given for when there is an arpeggio, only the fingering. I was struggling to do some of the arpeggios, and if I knew what the chord was (when it was traveling down the note highway, I could focus on forming the chord shape and not looking at the recommended fingering (for the arpeggio).

3) Has there been any thought to a "network/2-player mode"? I have never played 2-player on PS3/4 or PC, but I was thinking it would be nice to at least being able to sync the start of the song with another person who is near you (i.e one person is playing lead, and the other is playing rhythm or bass, etc). Each person would be on their own device, and perhaps plugged into an amp, monitor, etc. It would be hard, and sound horrible, if each person started their own session (without the syncing) and the 2 versions were even slightly off.

Anyway, those are a few things that came to mind when I was playing tonight. The HUGE Rush pack that was released today was like Christmas in July for me!!!! I have spent a TON of money on the Rush releases (plus on other apps, devices, etc), so I don't mind spending it yet again (the boys [in Rush] need bigger mansions, you know!!!)

Thanks again for a great product, and a platform to get feedback.

Allan

tojofi63
09-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Have just tried RS iOS for the past hour and the only thing I couldn't get to work were my Bose Bluetooth earbuds. Ideas?

Oh, generally very happy with quality of app on my iPad Pro. Compared to PC version, am equally impressed with controls and sound quality. Have electric guitar connected using RS cable via USB to Lighting adapter. No noticeable latency. Would just really like my earbuds to work so as not to disturb entire house with my scratching :)

ALuomala68
09-05-2017, 03:08 AM
I couldn't get my Bluetooth speakers to work with it either. I am using a SonicPort interface, and I thought that might have something to do with it (the SonicPort has a headphone jack, and I was thinking that maybe that took priority over Bluetooth or something along that lines). It may be that there is too much lag with Bluetooth so the Rocksmith iOS app just doesn't allow for it. Hopefully they give us an answer on what types of devices are supported.

UbiVertigo
09-19-2017, 06:48 PM
To everyone who requested lyrics, they've been added! It is an option that can be toggled on and off -- for more information, please see the .96 patch notes (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1683133-iOS-Patch-Notes-thread?p=12933720&viewfull=1#post12933720).

phillipjoconnor
10-31-2017, 09:10 PM
Currently trying to update to latest version. .98 .... I have removed the app from my iPad but when I download Rocksmith it downloads from the cloud and downloads a previous version. Checked my iCloud storage and there is no sign of Rocksmith .... any suggestions?

UbiVertigo
11-01-2017, 02:54 PM
Hey flipper, I'll ask around and see what the team can come up with. In the meantime, please keep us updated if you find a solution on your end.

UbiVertigo
11-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Hey again, flipper -- First off, please try downloading the update again. It's possible you were notified of the update before it was available. If that still doesn't work, please try the following:

1. Install the app
2. Open iTunes
3. Go into the updates tab in the lower-right
4. Select "Rocksmith" and "Update"

If that still doesn't work, do you happen to know which version you had before you tried to update the app?

mistertpitydafo
12-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Hey again, flipper -- First off, please try downloading the update again. It's possible you were notified of the update before it was available. If that still doesn't work, please try the following:

1. Install the app
2. Open iTunes
3. Go into the updates tab in the lower-right
4. Select "Rocksmith" and "Update"

If that still doesn't work, do you happen to know which version you had before you tried to update the app?

Are you in the US store or Canadian store. Make sure Canadian (login with that Apple ID and random canada address site, click none for payment). We just want to be able to update Rocksmith. Once it changes stores, clicking rocksmith’s update will do nothing. But make sure it appears in the App Store. Then click offload app under storage and rocksmith, where it saves your files but removes the app (or the later removes all and requires restoring purchases). So with rocksmith now gone, go back to the App Store to see it now says /go or install / instead of update. So download the new updated version of rocksmith and install it.
If you are in Canada and Canadian store. Then follow the instructions to offload app and then redownload through App Store and it should work. Sometimes the update button seems to not want to update my program or starts to work and stops and this has always fixed it. (Yet nicely I can switch back to my normal account and play I’m in Maine bordering miles from canada, so technically thats how I got it to work when I went in canada it still didn’t and said I needed an Canadian Apple ID, but then I still had to switch to The ID that’s for the store in canada, then use a random address creator site to put in my information and the Canadian city Province and Zip. When clicking none to putting in payment but fill out the info with your Canadian address and like I said from random Canadian address creator site, so it okays and logs it in and switches you to Canadian store. Then download rocksmith or do the above for each update. Then I switch back to my main USER NAME and the us store and my us address and VISA as payment. Then I can play rocksmith and also purchase dlc, which I wanted to point out to UBISOFT TEAM that it’s actually cheaper to buy songs in a pack than a pack as it costs less to buy each song in the pack and you save a dollar vs buying as a pack.
I have really built my collection since the price dropped off from 3.99 for some songs and 2.99 for others to being 1.99. I am buying dlc like a mad man for that lower price. Since I have sooooo much invested in the xbox one version the savings really helps with putting a proper sized collection.
Just ok add some RS1 RS2014 and some System of a Down, Iron Maiden pls

toymachinesh
12-18-2017, 07:18 PM
just a small thing "Alice in Chains Bundle" should be "Alice in Chains Pack"

DeGlenn
03-14-2018, 06:15 PM
An eternity later ... version 0.99.963882 for the Canadian iTunes Store

MichaelRiber
03-29-2018, 11:14 AM
Sorry if this post got a bit long and winding. It is intended for the developers at UBIsoft and I hope it will help RS IOS become a great product.

First impressions

Excited and looking forward to playing along with songs.

Tuned my guitar to E-STANDARD 440 with SNARK ST-8 clip on tuner (accuracy ±1 Hz)

Connected to iPad with Real Tone cable.

1. obstacle: CALIBRATION Issues with "volume too low", fiddled around with volume knobs and pickup selection on my guitar in an attempt to find a setting that would work.
Ended up using middle selection with volume to the max on both pickups.

[Suggestion: It would have been good to have RS present a video about how best to prepare your guitar for use with RS]

I strummed as hard as I could trying to make the guitar as loud as possible. However this turned out to be counterproductive, since it only made it so much harder for RS to recognise the high E (purple) string during tuning.

[suggestion: Update instructions for calibration to "strum fast and loud, but not louder than your normal loudest strum"]

[suggestion: Add volume check of highest E string (purple) and reject calibration if output is too low for RS to recognise.]

[suggestion: Hint that tone knob should be turned to the max to avoid lowering the output of the highest notes from the guitar]

[suggestion: Add video about calibration]

2. obstacle: TUNING Absolute nightmare. RS tuner is NOT E STANDARD 440 Hz.
I thought something was wrong with the real tone cable and took it to a friend who has RS2014 PS4, where the cable worked fine and where I could get past the tuner with my E STANDARD 440 tuning, even though RS said I was +10 cents.

However I had issues in the Duck arcade game where RS2014 PS4 didn't recognise the right fret. After that experience I went on to learn how to intonate a guitar.

[Suggestion: State that the frequency used is NOT 440 Hz and state instead what it is (I think 436±1 Hz, but I'm sure you know exactly what it is]

[Suggestion: Add toggle switch on tuner to disable the tuner from moving to the next string automatically. This will allow you to adjust the tuning of the string to spot on accuracy. Right now I have to use separate clip-on tuner set to E STANDARD 436 in order to get all the strings properly tuned. It would be so much easier if I could just use the RS tuner for accuracy tuning]

I was about to give up and discard RS IOS as junk, but wanted to give it a last chance so I began searching the Internet for solutions.

There I learned:
- to use the bridge pickup only
- use maximum volume
- use maximum tone to allow all tones to be output
- to adjust the height of the bridge pickup

Your video about tuning is good.
[suggestion: Make one on calibration too]

After adjusting the height of my pickup and thus increasing the output from the guitar, and calibrating it not too loud, I had much greater success getting past the tuner.

The final pill I have to swallow, is to accept RS is out of tune and tune my guitar for E STANDARD 436.

But up till now I have not been willing to swallow that bitter pill. I use E STANDARD 440 to develop my hearing and to be in tone when I play with Guitar Tricks and my guitar teacher.

Having to tune my guitar so it's out of tune in order to play RS sucks.

Anyway, I'm getting a second guitar (Epiphone SL - super affordable) which I plan to carry with me and I will consider tuning that to E STANDARD 436 so I can play RS on that.

Am I too sensitive? Should I just accept RS is played in 436 Hz and play along? What thoughts have other users got?

Conclusion

RS IOS is too difficult to use due to CALIBRATION and TUNING issues. Many people will download it, very few will get past the obstacles and use it.

Most people would not have the tenacity that I have had with RS IOS and would have stopped using it long ago.

I would very much like RS IOS to succeed and I for one was looking forward to learn and play my favourite songs with my favourite bands.

However the CALIBRATION and TUNING issues is hampering an otherwise great app. By following my suggestions I hope you will be able to guide other new comers to RS so they avoid getting stuck.

Your reason for using E STANDARD 436 is probably rooted in technical issues, but it would be great if RS could get in tune.

If the reason is considerations for backwards compatibility with the real tone cable, then take a lesson from Apple and move forward leaving the past in the dust.
Make RS IOS the best possible product it can be. People who wants to use RS IOS would then have to get a guitar interface like iRIG2 HD or iRIG2 or whatever you would recommend. Just make a list and publish it, but discard the real tone cable if that is the reason for RS IOS being out of tone.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR USING CURRENT VERSION OF RS IOS

Below I have summarised my recommendation for getting the current version of RS IOS to work.

How to get RS IOS to work

Tune your guitar to 436 Hz

Choose the bridge pickup

Set volume to max (10)

Set tone to max (10)

Connect to iPad and launch RS

Select Tuner

Calibrate to fairly low volume when asked to strum fast and loud

You should now be able to get past the tuner without having to change your tuning.

Calibration

It is super important to calibrate RS to recognise your instrument properly.

You will never get through the tuner if you strum the strings too loud during calibration.

This is because when picking a single string, especially the high E string (purple), the output of the guitar is very low and for RS to recognise it you need all the help you can get.

So when asked to strum loud and fast, then you should not strum harder than you intend to do when playing the guitar.

If you intend to use RS a lot you should consider adjusting your pickup height.

Tuning your guitar

Get clip on tuner for your guitar with adjustable frequency

Set frequency to 436 Hz and fine tune your guitar

Check the intonation by fretting the 12th fret of each string and check that the tone is in tune.

If your guitar is not intonated properly, get a friend who knows how to intonate a guitar to setup the intonation properly.

Without proper intonation RS will not be able to recognise the proper frets when you are playing.

Adjusting pickup Height

For better output when playing the high E string (purple) you should consider adjusting the height of your pickups so they are as close as possible to the strings.

For an Epiphone Les Paul that is 1.6 mm between pickup and underneath high E (purple string) and 2.4 mm between pickup and underneath low E (red string).

The setup from the factory is typical higher, but it is a simple procedure to adjust the height of the pickup.

I recommend watching RS video and to check the internet for instructions that match your guitar

My setup

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop PRO.

I had to improve the intonation and raise the height of the pickups as the factory settings where not optimal.

After doing so I had much greater success when attempting to connect to RS and get past the tuner.

A bit about myself

Started playing the guitar in February 2018 without any prior experience as musician.

I'm 57 and works as a Sound and Vibration Engineer, who enjoys good sound quality and who would like to learn an instrument before retiring, so I got ten years to learn the guitar.

For the youngsters out there 10 years may seem like a life time, but for an old fart like me, ten years passes quickly.

Signed up for JAMplay as well as a guitar instructor. Found JAMplay to lack direction and structure, so cancelled that and moved on to GuitarTricks where I'm progressing well.

I practice 15 - 30 minutes daily and caluos skin is beginning to form on my finger tips.

I'm challenged by having huge sausage fingers, but I'm patient and when Magic Slim can play the guitar then I'm sure I will be able to learn it too.

I practice on my own, meet with my guitar instructor monthly, who gives me hints and direction.

My five year goal is to be able to play Blackbird by Alter Bridge.

ZagatoZee
03-31-2018, 08:51 PM
2. obstacle: TUNING Absolute nightmare. RS tuner is NOT E STANDARD 440 Hz.
I thought something was wrong with the real tone cable and took it to a friend who has RS2014 PS4, where the cable worked fine and where I could get past the tuner with my E STANDARD 440 tuning, even though RS said I was +10 cents.

In my experience the software works just fine if you leave your instrument in a440 and just pluck for the tuner. It'll pass fine as the 4 cent difference isn't that significant.

MichaelRiber
04-12-2018, 05:31 PM
I'm happy to share that the tuning issues reported in my earlier post is now a thing of the past.

As of iOS 11.3 and Rocksmith 0.99.50 the tuner works as advertised.

In the interim I managed to invest in a PS4 and Rocksmith 2014 Remastered.

However the PS4 version of RS offer so many other things not in RS iOS that it was an easy decision.

I will now put Rocksmith iOS on the shelf until it is made available globally.

Once it does I will probably purchase some of the songs I already got for PS4, as I'm able to bring RS iOS with me wherever I bring my guitar.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks.

UbiVertigo
04-12-2018, 05:58 PM
That's great news, MichaelRiber! Thanks for keeping us updated.

rok4d
06-20-2018, 08:32 PM
New update has caused an issue. On some songs the note highway stutters - sort of stops and then moves fast to catch up (Addicted to Love, KT Tungstall (don't recall which song), Hit Me with Your Best Shot). The music you hear is fine.

New interface seems good. I like the courses you have added and would like to see more (not sure what the plans are for that). You could also add some other features like a warm up routine and some strum patterns. I would be happy to purchase this type of stuff.

Also, not sure how hard it would be but if you could add a couple of tones to choose from when you are on the home screen. The home screen tone is not a great tone if you practice outside of a song. If that is not possible, could you change the tone to be a little more acoustic and less distortion?

Tuning issues from the past are gone. Volume issues are also gone. Guitar calibration and tuning is now a breeze.

Waiting on some more old DLC content. I know it is a separate licensing issue for iOS. Really hoping for Volbeat, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, the rest of the Collective Soul pack, Def Leppard and 3 Doors Down, Tom Petty, The Cars. Not sure if you can provide a list of up coming DLC that licensing has been negotiated from the stuff that the other platforms already have but it would be great to know what is coming. An approximate date would also be awesome. Again, I understand the licensing issues - just hoping for a heads up as to what is coming from songs that are already in the other platforms.

Keep up the great work. I have been enjoying the iOS version for a long time. It keeps getting better with each update. I rarely use the Xbox version now.

UbiVertigo
06-20-2018, 09:20 PM
New update has caused an issue. On some songs the note highway stutters - sort of stops and then moves fast to catch up (Addicted to Love, KT Tungstall (don't recall which song), Hit Me with Your Best Shot). The music you hear is fine.

New interface seems good. I like the courses you have added and would like to see more (not sure what the plans are for that). You could also add some other features like a warm up routine and some strum patterns. I would be happy to purchase this type of stuff.

Also, not sure how hard it would be but if you could add a couple of tones to choose from when you are on the home screen. The home screen tone is not a great tone if you practice outside of a song. If that is not possible, could you change the tone to be a little more acoustic and less distortion?

Tuning issues from the past are gone. Volume issues are also gone. Guitar calibration and tuning is now a breeze.

Waiting on some more old DLC content. I know it is a separate licensing issue for iOS. Really hoping for Volbeat, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, the rest of the Collective Soul pack, Def Leppard and 3 Doors Down, Tom Petty, The Cars. Not sure if you can provide a list of up coming DLC that licensing has been negotiated from the stuff that the other platforms already have but it would be great to know what is coming. An approximate date would also be awesome. Again, I understand the licensing issues - just hoping for a heads up as to what is coming from songs that are already in the other platforms.

Keep up the great work. I have been enjoying the iOS version for a long time. It keeps getting better with each update. I rarely use the Xbox version now.

Thanks very much for the feedback, rok4d, and I'm glad you're digging the update! I'll pass this along immediately, suggestions and all. Concerning the stuttering, can you let us know what you're playing on (device model and OS version) and what type(s) of input device you're using?

Concerning what's coming up (features, fixes, or DLC), I'm afraid I don't have any information to share at this time, save that more of each are planned.

rok4d
06-22-2018, 03:22 PM
Sorry missed your reply. I will check my model and OS version when I get a chance. Thanks!

rok4d
06-24-2018, 03:50 PM
Model of my iPad is the A1566 MGTX2CL. Currently on iOS 11.4. I use the Apple Lightning to USB adapter to connect the Realtone cable.

UbiVertigo
06-25-2018, 02:41 PM
Thanks, rok4d! The team is looking into that issue right now.

UbiVertigo
06-26-2018, 02:51 PM
Hi again, rok4d -- For the songs that have screen stuttering, do they always have this behavior, or is it unpredictable? Do you tend to have other apps running in the background?

rok4d
06-26-2018, 03:38 PM
I try to not have any other apps open when I play but I won't guarantee that I remember to close everything every time.

The stutter is not predictable as it seems to happen anywhere mid song and it is only once in the song.

I will do a full restart on my iPad before playing tonight and make sure nothing else is open. I will let you know if that has any effect.

Thanks!
Wes

rok4d
06-28-2018, 06:22 PM
So last night, I did a restart on my iPad and made sure there were no other apps open. I tried the same few songs that I have had the glitch in and the note highway glitch was still there. Is there anything else I can do to help diagnose the issue?

UbiVertigo
06-28-2018, 08:51 PM
Thanks, rok4d! And there are, if you're okay with trying some things. I'm going to move this to PM though, to keep the rest of this thread clear. Look for a message in your inbox (at the top of the screen) in the next few minutes.

Jayme_Nan2018
07-14-2018, 06:19 AM
Hi! I just downloaded (twice) the RS version as of this date. Tested and loved it with the free song packs. Then I bought some DLC - first the SRV bundle; then a song (Black Betty)... in both cases the software immediately jumps to “Download Error. Can not download song at this time. Please try again later”..... been trying for hours. It’s always the same. Rebooted my phone (iPhone 6). Even deleted and reinstalled with restore purchases - all working except actually downloading the music I bought?? I checked settings - there is no blocking of internet access. Which error messages were more useful. Shouldn’t matter - but my RS login is via Facebook... really bummed because the free teaser worked so amazingly well (via apple USB camera dongle and real-tone cable).

UbiVertigo
07-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Hey Jayme_Nan2018, very sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. It's not one that I've seen yet. If you could, please create a ticket at support.ubi.com (https://support.ubi.com/en-US) and let me know the ticket number. Additionally, could you let me know what OS version you're using?

Edit: Could you also let us know your exact device model number and if you're trying to connect via wifi or mobile data? Thanks!