PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Figures?

WhiskeyBravo
07-11-2004, 03:16 AM
Any one know any info about how many units of FB/AEP have been sold, market breakdown by region etc?

Or can someone point me in a good direction to find out?

Just curious cos I might use it as a case study in a marketing and selling course I'm doing soon.

Cheers all,

WB.

WhiskeyBravo
07-11-2004, 03:16 AM
Any one know any info about how many units of FB/AEP have been sold, market breakdown by region etc?

Or can someone point me in a good direction to find out?

Just curious cos I might use it as a case study in a marketing and selling course I'm doing soon.

Cheers all,

WB.

Texas LongHorn
07-11-2004, 08:41 AM
WhiskeyBravo, I have not seen any published figures, but the support alone shows they must have sold quite a few. Remember though, all flight sims are a niche market compared to shooters and such. Thank the Lord for UBI and the folks that still like to fly, personally I get pretty bored in FPS games <ggg.> All the best, LongHorn

http://img49.photobucket.com/albums/v149/msdavis/My_Sig_Image2.jpg

LuckyBoy1
07-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Oddly enough, a marketer of video games generally does not make a big deal out of how many units of a game they have sold until it reaches at least 1,000,000 units at the full, retail price. UBI seems oddly silent on the issue of how many units have been sold, so I would guess they missed the mark on that one. Their missing that goal would not surprise me now, but it did when I first got this game. After all, in spite of the picky problems we have with it, it is far superior in realistic modelling of aerodynamics and individual flight models than any game before it. It is visually stunning, less prone to cheating and uses no more system resources to get it all done than Cousin Billy's Combat Flight Simulation 3.0.

So why have I changed my mind about the marketability of this and other future "true" flight simulation games? Well, what I have found out over time is that this game represents a significant split in the gaming community. After this game came out, those who wanted realistic type "immersion" went for this game in a big way and those too impatient to deal with even a sense of reality went elsewhere. Final proof was when I invited a nice young man who was dating my daughter over to the house and I knew from previous discussions that he was a big "gaming" fan. With this in mind I sat him down at the computer and started him on a training mission. He tried to fake enthusiasm, but in the end, he simply did not want to deal with the fact that when he pointed the IL-2 straight up, it didn't keep going that way forever. Then the other side of the proof can be found by simply going over to Oleg's Ready Room to read the perceived and real criticisms of innacuracies in this or that.

The end result is a trend that leads the two groups on different paths. IL-2 FB fans tend to be older, almost exclusively male, but not having the time it takes to tweak their computers to a point where it will run this game well. The younger crowd seems to go for games that offer action that starts faster (mine Godt, they might have to actually like, wait to take off in this game) and offers a points system that relates more accuratley to skill level which is usually expressed in how fast someone can hit a series of buttons. I you try to play IL-2 FB for points, you are seriously deluding yourself. Many times the success of a mission depends on sacrificing the points in order to get the job done. In fact, if I had one great wish for an improvement in this game, it would be a system of points that just assigns the points to teams rather than individuals.

Now with more fiber! It is newer & and even more improved! It's Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users!...

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/luckyboy/LuckyboysGuide2.htm

Luckyboy = Senior hydraulic landing gear designer for the P-11 & Contributing Editor to Complete Users magazine.