PDA

View Full Version : Please keep naval battles to a minimum in next AC.

Frankie_Drums
05-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Being captain of a ship has nothing to do with being a stealthy assassin. I skipped both ACIV and Rogue because I hated the naval battles so much in AC3. I found them as tacked-on and unnecessary as the multiplayer. I'm a longtime fan who has bought every other AC game on release day, and I purchase most of Ubi's other franchises when they release as well, so it takes a lot to alienate me and lose my $$.

I've seen a lot of complaints online about the Batmobile sections of the latest Arkham game and the futuristic setting of the last couple COD games. The fans of those IPs echo my belief: if you're going to get that far away from your franchise's identity, just make a new franchise.

Please keep in mind that these games are about assassinating, and to do that we need stealth. Stealth is based around character locomotion--I need to scale buildings quickly, find vantage points to drop in on my target, and navigate escape routes, on the fly, to evade capture. That's the strength of the series. Please don't lose sight of that.

Again, I'm not saying the naval battle formula doesn't work. If Ubi wants to make a separate naval game that would make sense as there is clearly a demand for that type of game. If naval battles are prevalent in future AC games, I'll skip those installments as well. Please get back to what made you great.

Megas_Doux
05-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Being captain of a ship has nothing to do with being a stealthy assassin. I skipped both ACIV and Rogue because I hated the naval battles so much in AC3. I found them as tacked-on and unnecessary as the multiplayer. I'm a longtime fan who has bought every other AC game on release day, and I purchase most of Ubi's other franchises when they release as well, so it takes a lot to alienate me and lose my $$.

.[/COLOR]

I do understand your point, the whole naval thing is not 100% welcomed among the fans. I've seen, read and heard old timers like you claming their total disdain for the naval gameplay. On the other hand there's another pretty large group of fans who played AC IV -and Rogue to a lesser extent- because of naval and despite being an AC. However unlike Arkham Knight and the latest COD games, AC IV was critically acclaimed to the point I have the feeling of both Edward and AC IV being second only to Ezio and AC II in the general public.

Another point is that naval doesn't necessary mean the focus on "stealth"-that is if you can say there's been such thing in this franchise before Unity- is gone just because. Again, despite the pretty low standards for stealth in the franchise, AC IV has more and better stealth missions and gameplay than AC II, for instance.

Now, If I had to guess, my two cents is that naval will be more of navigation and exploration and MAY BE some sort of combat instead of huge naval battles -the amount of it depends on which era of Ancient Egypt the game is set , though- but that's about it. I mean, it's not like that is a bad idea, if you have a game set around the FREAKING Nile you better take advantage of it.

PS I DID love naval but I rather have it as a navigation/exploration thing with minimal combat and have the team focusing on another stuff for this setting.

Sigma 1313
05-10-2017, 11:44 PM
I actually wasn't a fan of Naval in Ac3 either, and hated the fact that AC4 would be based on naval combat, but after playing it, despite it's flaws, I really enjoyed it. That said, I don't think Empire/Origins will be based on naval combat. The picture we saw shows a boat that looks like a design from about 1750BCE, so it will likely work like Gondolas in Ac2 where we can use them to get around and shoot arrows at enemies as they shoot at us.

CaptainKronic X
05-11-2017, 04:51 AM
I've had mixed feelings on the AC formula since it first came out. I played the first, and it was fun playing an assassin in the holy land so beautifully portrayed. Not sure how historically accurate the layout of the land was, but looked great and close enough. The combat was enjoyable but not fantastic. And the stealth I remember being pretty flawed. As much as I enjoyed it, I never could go back to it, and part of it was the modern day missions that pulled me out of that world. AC2 I played for about 20 minutes and just didn't enjoy it for a second (but its one of the most popular AC games of all time, so I'm an exception). I didn't play another until AC3, and it took until Sequence 7 for the player to truly have free reign and start to build things, work on your ship, pick a custom outfit for your character... I love AC3 at that point but hated wading through so much story, even before getting to the actual American Revolution. I forgot about AC for a while until the possibility of being a pirate caught my attention. It took me a while to get around to playing it because I didn't want to wait until Sequence 7 before I can sail the seas openly, but surprisingly I got a ship in Sequence 3 and explored the Caribbean from there, and I absolutely loved it. In fact, I bought Rogue and thoroughly enjoyed that one as well (even though it was much shorter game).

To get to the point, the sailing is one of the draws for AC now. I understand true old school AC fans might not like it, at least not as a necessity for progress. But the sailing aspect of the series had revitalized it and its expected at this point. For me it was like adding an excellent new element to the gameplay, and without it the game feels like its missing something. And I think many if not most fans will feel the same way. Which, I'd be fine with sailing becoming more of an auxiliary element if they 1) created and executed an intellectually stimulating historical story that didn't get convoluted like the modern stories of AC3, AC 4, and Unity, 2) improved stealth gameplay because, sailing or no sailing, the enemies are horrible at spotting player mistakes as they attempt to stealthily assassinate the target(s), and stealth should always be the most important part of an assassination game, and 3) write better dialogue.

TLDR- Sailing should be in all AC games now, but sailing, being perfect the way it was in AC4 and Rogue, should not be the most important part of the game. Improve stealth and combat, and the story.

Helforsite
05-11-2017, 06:40 AM
I've had mixed feelings on the AC formula since it first came out. I played the first, and it was fun playing an assassin in the holy land so beautifully portrayed. Not sure how historically accurate the layout of the land was, but looked great and close enough. The combat was enjoyable but not fantastic. And the stealth I remember being pretty flawed. As much as I enjoyed it, I never could go back to it, and part of it was the modern day missions that pulled me out of that world. AC2 I played for about 20 minutes and just didn't enjoy it for a second (but its one of the most popular AC games of all time, so I'm an exception). I didn't play another until AC3, and it took until Sequence 7 for the player to truly have free reign and start to build things, work on your ship, pick a custom outfit for your character... I love AC3 at that point but hated wading through so much story, even before getting to the actual American Revolution. I forgot about AC for a while until the possibility of being a pirate caught my attention. It took me a while to get around to playing it because I didn't want to wait until Sequence 7 before I can sail the seas openly, but surprisingly I got a ship in Sequence 3 and explored the Caribbean from there, and I absolutely loved it. In fact, I bought Rogue and thoroughly enjoyed that one as well (even though it was much shorter game).

To get to the point, the sailing is one of the draws for AC now. I understand true old school AC fans might not like it, at least not as a necessity for progress. But the sailing aspect of the series had revitalized it and its expected at this point. For me it was like adding an excellent new element to the gameplay, and without it the game feels like its missing something. And I think many if not most fans will feel the same way. Which, I'd be fine with sailing becoming more of an auxiliary element if they 1) created and executed an intellectually stimulating historical story that didn't get convoluted like the modern stories of AC3, AC 4, and Unity, 2) improved stealth gameplay because, sailing or no sailing, the enemies are horrible at spotting player mistakes as they attempt to stealthily assassinate the target(s), and stealth should always be the most important part of an assassination game, and 3) write better dialogue.

TLDR- Sailing should be in all AC games now, but sailing, being perfect the way it was in AC4 and Rogue, should not be the most important part of the game. Improve stealth and combat, and the story.
No.

SixKeys
05-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Yeah, no. Sailing should only be in the games when it makes sense. It made sense for Edward who was a pirate. It made sense for Adewale (in Freedom Cry). The less said about Rogue, the better, but at least Shay's father used to be part of the marine, so there's a tenuous connection there. It didn't make sense in AC3 where Haytham was a landlubber and Connor was a native warrior who was most at home in the forest.

Unity and Syndicate didn't need sailing, it wouldn't have made sense for the urbanite protagonists. Whatever the next game ends up being, I hope sailing isn't in it without a proper story-related reason.

Sorrosyss
05-11-2017, 12:35 PM
I was never a fan of any of the naval stuff. I just generally dislike switching from being on foot to in a vehicle. There's something about a loss of identity there, especially when its a massive slow turning ship. I didn't really mind the horses or carriages by comparison, but again that may just be the size difference.

If its just sailing across the Nile in the next one, then fair enough. But I've no interest in slow turning in circles and lining up cannon shots again. :p That plus I'm pretty sure there wasn't cannons around in Ancient Egypt anyway.

crusader_prophet
05-11-2017, 01:24 PM
This is where I don't like UbiSoft policy. Milk one successful and liked mechanics to death and use it in every IP. For example the eagle mechanic aka drones is there in every IP (primal, wd2, wildlands). Just because naval combat was fun and made sense in Black Flag does not mean the boats in Origins should be loaded with canons firing bees. That will be incredibly anachronistic and prove nothing but limitation in innovation on the developers behalf.

cawatrooper9
05-11-2017, 09:36 PM
I'm with Six on this one.
I don't hate Naval combat inherently, and I don't really think it's fair for anyone to do so, since even if we do get it we'll probably see it having undergone significant changes.

And absolutely, it should only be included if it makes sense. Naval combat made a lot of sense in Black Flag, and was pretty well received. It was a little less well implemented in ACIII, and was clearly part of the gimmick in Rogue (which resulted in the two very strange maps of the River Valley and North Atlantic- beautiful maps, to be sure, but horribly utilized).

VestigialLlama4
05-11-2017, 10:04 PM
[COLOR=#000000]Being captain of a ship has nothing to do with being a stealthy assassin. [

Have you played Assassin's Creed I, there are many things in that game that don't have anything to do with being a stealthy assassin, like fighting your way to three whole armies, dueling with a Templar Grandmaster before the King of England.

"Stealthy Assassin" has never been as much a core part of the games as you or others taught yourselves to believe.

I skipped both ACIV and Rogue because I hated the naval battles so much in AC3.

Which is quite odd, because in Black Flag, the stealth portions of the game was more or less reinvented and updated into the system you have in Unity and Rogue. The "stealth room" (i.e. Snipers/Ranged men on roofs, Alarm Systems in the field, moving individuals with key holders, bonus for stealth and ghost runs). And AC3 has far less naval (and most of it is optional) compared to Black Flag and Rogue.

I've seen a lot of complaints online about the Batmobile sections of the latest Arkham game and the futuristic setting of the last couple COD games. The fans of those IPs echo my belief: if you're going to get that far away from your franchise's identity, just make a new franchise.

Firstly, Arkham Knight is a mega-selling game of the franchise and was widely well recieved. The presence of a few "fan complaints" means less than nothing. The same fans asked for the Batmobile before the third game came out. And saying that Batmobile is not part of the IP of Batman is laughably stupid thing to say.

In any case the game hasn't been announced yet.

cawatrooper9
05-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Interesting you mention that, VL4. I remember a thread someone wrote here (forgive me, I don't remember who it was) that analyzed the gameplay of missions in the entire series, and found that ACIV was one of if not the game to offer the most missions that could be completed entirely stealthily without forcing detection at some point.

BananaBlighter
05-11-2017, 10:27 PM
Naval was fun in AC4, but by the time Rogue came along I was pretty sick of it. In my 2nd replay of AC4, I barely engaged in ship battles, but still enjoyed the game massively. AC4 didn't need naval to be a great game, but it definitely suited the setting, and helped bring the world to life.

Of course, only implement naval if makes sense, but in this case, it clearly isn't going to be on the same scale as AC4 or Rogue. I'll be surprised if the combat is anything more than firing arrows at other ships (and maybe ramming them too).

That said, you talk of stealth an all, and completely miss the fact that it is AC4 which revolutionised stealth and finally made it a core part of the gameplay. Before that, you could barely call AC a stealth game. 'Stealth' in AC2 was running around spamming throwing knives, whereas in the newer games (including AC4), levels are designed in such a way that, with enough patience and creativity, you can get through any situation without having to use cheap gimmicks. The hidden blade should be your primary tool.

Sure, AC3 finally introduced the mechanics (e.g. bushes) that would make stealth possible, but it was very badly implemented. Isn't it interesting that despite having naval as a central mechanic, the AC4 developers didn't "lose sight" of the idea of being a stealthy assassin, but rather invented it?

EDIT:

Interesting you mention that, VL4. I remember a thread someone wrote here (forgive me, I don't remember who it was) that analyzed the gameplay of missions in the entire series, and found that ACIV was one of if not the game to offer the most missions that could be completed entirely stealthily without forcing detection at some point.

Sounds like Farlander. That is interesting though. I'm even surprised that Unity isn't 1st.

SixKeys
05-12-2017, 11:27 AM

You're most likely thinking of Farlander. The analysis was written in 2014, hence why Unity and Syndicate aren't included:

https://stanislavcostiuc.com/2014/09/22/assassins-creed-series-stealth-viability-analysis/
(https://stanislavcostiuc.com/2014/09/22/assassins-creed-series-stealth-viability-analysis/)

jellejackhammer
05-12-2017, 12:10 PM
i think sailing is one of those things that sets 1 game appart from all the other games in the series,and therfore should not be included just for fan service.

it would ruin the special feel black flag had.

now ofcourse you can have some boat gameplay like sailing across the nile ,kinda like in the witcher 3 where you can use boats to sail across waters.

but not naval combat as that would not make sense in origins.

m4r-k7
05-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Naval battles, even if they are included in the game, would be completely different to the ones found in AC 4.

They would probably involve ramming other ships and jumping onto them, or firing arrows from your ship, which is a much different experience to AC 4.

If you didn't like naval combat in AC 4, you shouldn't even be worried, as the type of naval warfare that would occur in Ancient Egypt is nothing we have seen before. It could be a really refreshing gameplay element if done right.

But anyway, the original leak said that naval combat wouldn't return and the boat in the leaked picture looks just like a sail boat for traversing.

VestigialLlama4
05-16-2017, 07:57 AM
That said, you talk of stealth an all, and completely miss the fact that it is AC4 which revolutionised stealth and finally made it a core part of the gameplay. Before that, you could barely call AC a stealth game. 'Stealth' in AC2 was running around spamming throwing knives, whereas in the newer games (including AC4), levels are designed in such a way that, with enough patience and creativity, you can get through any situation without having to use cheap gimmicks. The hidden blade should be your primary tool.

Sure, AC3 finally introduced the mechanics (e.g. bushes) that would make stealth possible, but it was very badly implemented. Isn't it interesting that despite having naval as a central mechanic, the AC4 developers didn't "lose sight" of the idea of being a stealthy assassin, but rather invented it?

Well fanboy complaints generally tend to have far less imagination when they describe the works they attack. They go by marketing and advertising rather than content and most of the time what they want is a game's marketing to appeal and validate their complaints and issues over that of fans who come to the game looking for something else. They want to feel special and important like so much of the online brigade.

BLACK FLAG systematized stealth thoroughly and its system is more or less stolen...without credit and acknowledgement...for UNITY and SYNDICATE, which as I mentioned before are not innovative in stealth in the slightest but unlike Black Flag they bragged about in their marketing and trailers so people falsely credit them. But then that's to be expected when you do mediocre products like the last two AC titles.

AC3 did bring in a lot of new elements but it didn't systematize it, while BLACK FLAG did do that, the plantation missions is the AC Stealth Room only the fact that it was done in exteriors meant that the system didn't show its artificiality (the way the interior-set UNITY and SYNDICATE revealed itself). So you had multiple options, you could achieve your objective non-lethally, and are rewarded for stealth, you had different lines of movement and multiple tools to achieve your objective. Black Flag did that in a way that is so "seamless" (heh...) that most people simply took it for granted and didn't notice it until they stepped back and played it several times.

cawatrooper9
05-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Also worth mentioning that Black Flag had some of the easiest combat in the series- so while stealth is often a viable option, many players simply opted to not use it out of convenience, then complained that the game didn't allow stealth afterward.

jellejackhammer
05-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Also worth mentioning that Black Flag had some of the easiest combat in the series- so while stealth is often a viable option, many players simply opted to not use it out of convenience, then complained that the game didn't allow stealth afterward.

kinda like ignoring the MD fragments you can collect,and then complain the game was devoid of MD in every way.

:p

cawatrooper9
05-16-2017, 05:14 PM
kinda like ignoring the MD fragments you can collect,and then complain the game was devoid of MD in every way.

:p

Meh, sort of? Not really. At least with stealth, the options were as readily available as they've always been. MD has clearly been relegated to the background, it's a very clear shift. But that's a discussion for elsewhere.

Frankie_Drums
05-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Now, If I had to guess, my two cents is that naval will be more of navigation and exploration and MAY BE some sort of combat instead of huge naval battles -the amount of it depends on which era of Ancient Egypt the game is set , though- but that's about it. I mean, it's not like that is a bad idea, if you have a game set around the FREAKING Nile you better take advantage of it.
You may be right. I'm hoping the Nile is similar to the Thames in Unity--a big 3D game of Frogger.
I actually wasn't a fan of Naval in Ac3 either, and hated the fact that AC4 would be based on naval combat, but after playing it, despite it's flaws, I really enjoyed it. That said, I don't think Empire/Origins will be based on naval combat. The picture we saw shows a boat that looks like a design from about 1750BCE, so it will likely work like Gondolas in Ac2 where we can use them to get around and shoot arrows at enemies as they shoot at us.Could be, that would work as well.

Sailing should only be in the games when it makes sense. It made sense for Edward who was a pirate. It made sense for Adewale (in Freedom Cry). The less said about Rogue, the better, but at least Shay's father used to be part of the marine, so there's a tenuous connection there. It didn't make sense in AC3 where Haytham was a landlubber and Connor was a native warrior who was most at home in the forest.

Unity and Syndicate didn't need sailing, it wouldn't have made sense for the urbanite protagonists. Whatever the next game ends up being, I hope sailing isn't in it without a proper story-related reason.While I agree with you that the mechanic should service the story, I hope they will find a way to work around it.

If its just sailing across the Nile in the next one, then fair enough. But I've no interest in slow turning in circles and lining up cannon shots again. :p That plus I'm pretty sure there wasn't cannons around in Ancient Egypt anyway.YES. Lining up shots was tedious and boring for me.

This is where I don't like UbiSoft policy. Milk one successful and liked mechanics to death and use it in every IP. For example the eagle mechanic aka drones is there in every IP (primal, wd2, wildlands). Just because naval combat was fun and made sense in Black Flag does not mean the boats in Origins should be loaded with canons firing bees. That will be incredibly anachronistic and prove nothing but limitation in innovation on the developers behalf.Good points all around.

I'm with Six on this one.
I don't hate Naval combat inherently, and I don't really think it's fair for anyone to do so, since even if we do get it we'll probably see it having undergone significant changes.It's not unfair for me to dislike something that didn't appeal to me. It's no different than me hating the tower defense nonsense from AC:Rev.

I missed out on AC4 because the devs and reviews all said it was heavy on Naval combat, which I didn't like. I played through AC2 and AC:Bro as pure stealth so I absolutely consider them stealth games.

but not naval combat as that would not make sense in origins.
Agreed.
, the original leak said that naval combat wouldn't return and the boat in the leaked picture looks just like a sail boat for traversing.
I hope that's true.
Interesting, I skipped it so I didn't know that.

cawatrooper9
05-17-2017, 05:39 PM
It's not unfair for me to dislike something that didn't appeal to me. It's no different than me hating the tower defense nonsense from AC:Rev.

Sure, and that's not what I'm saying. If you hate ACIV's naval combat that's totally fine. A mistake, in my opinion, but as long as you've played it then I assume you're capable of making informed choices regarding it.

What I'm saying is that we know nothing about naval combat in any upcoming games. It could be an entirely different system. It'd be like someone saying they don't want melee in any AC game, but all they've played is ACII. Clearly the systems have changed over time, and that person might like the melee in something like AC3 or ACU.

Frankie_Drums
05-17-2017, 08:49 PM
Sure, and that's not what I'm saying. If you hate ACIV's naval combat that's totally fine. A mistake, in my opinion, but as long as you've played it then I assume you're capable of making informed choices regarding it.

What I'm saying is that we know nothing about naval combat in any upcoming games. It could be an entirely different system. It'd be like someone saying they don't want melee in any AC game, but all they've played is ACII. Clearly the systems have changed over time, and that person might like the melee in something like AC3 or ACU.
Sure, or it could be like the recruit system in Brotherhood, which was perfectly implemented and then stripped down to nothing in each subsequent game.

dxsxhxcx
05-17-2017, 08:59 PM
IMO AC's naval gameplay is probably the best there is out there at the moment (I had a lot of fun with AC4 because of it), but I would much rather see it being used in a new IP where they could focus on it and properly expand it than continue shoving it into AC. I hope we don't see it making a comeback anytime soon (in AC).

Weirdazoid
05-21-2017, 11:14 AM
I loved the naval combat in the previous games, but I don't want to see it again. It's been in three games, that's enough.

Sushiglutton
05-21-2017, 01:07 PM
IMO AC's naval gameplay is probably the best there is out there at the moment (I had a lot of fun with AC4 because of it), but I would much rather see it being used in a new IP where they could focus on it and properly expand it than continue shoving it into AC. I hope we don't see it making a comeback anytime soon (in AC).

Agree with this. That said, such a new IP need to have many of the same features AC does, such as climbing (being able to monkey around in the rig made naval so much cooler), stealth and combat, land to sea tranistions, forts. But then it would be very similar to AC4, just without the hood pretty much.

I guess I wouldn't mind a bit of fantasy such as sea monsters and what not to spice things up a bit.

Maybe this is why Ubi are hesistating to build an IP that is so similar to their existing one?

LeVoyageur07
05-21-2017, 03:31 PM
I have played all the AC games and AC4 and Rogue were my favourites due to the Naval combat.

The AC3 Naval combat was not that good. But there was a big improvement with AC4 and Rogue.

I would be okay with Ubisoft releasing a new IP based on the Naval combat.

Frankie_Drums
05-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Agree with this. That said, such a new IP need to have many of the same features AC does, such as climbing (being able to monkey around in the rig made naval so much cooler), stealth and combat, land to sea transitions, forts. But then it would be very similar to AC4, just without the hood pretty much.

I guess I wouldn't mind a bit of fantasy such as sea monsters and what not to spice things up a bit.

Maybe this is why Ubi are hesistating to build an IP that is so similar to their existing one?
Nah, you kidding me? Recycling games with minor changes is Ubisoft's business plan. :cool:
Prince of Persia + violence = Assassin's Creed.
Assassin's Creed - lore + 1st Person = Far Cry
Assassin's Creed - Stealth + Modern Day = Watch_Dogs
Watch_Dogs - Tech + guns & jungle = GR Wildlands

Hell, this review says it all: http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2014/06/ubisoft-game-review/

But I keep buying these titles, so I'm not complaining.

phoenix-force411
05-22-2017, 12:00 AM
They get tedious after a while. I liked ACIII's Naval Combat more, because it required more strategy. You could destroy a Man O' War if you shot at it correctly exposing its weakpoint and then proceeding on to swivel shot it. However, I would prefer that it be kept to a minimum.

Helforsite
05-22-2017, 01:39 PM
Nah, you kidding me? Recycling games with minor changes is Ubisoft's business plan. :cool:

Hell, this review says it all: http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2014/06/ubisoft-game-review/

But I keep buying these titles, so I'm not complaining.
Well, that has to be one of the most stupid generalization and oversimplification I have ever head.

cawatrooper9
05-22-2017, 02:49 PM
What makes Watch Dogs like Assassins Creed? Sure, it's a third-person open world game, but so are so many other things. While the comparison seems easy because they're both from the same company (like saying Red Dead is just GTA in the West) I think it's kind of a weak one.

Frankie_Drums
05-24-2017, 07:37 PM
What makes Watch Dogs like Assassins Creed? Sure, it's a third-person open world game, but so are so many other things. While the comparison seems easy because they're both from the same company (like saying Red Dead is just GTA in the West) I think it's kind of a weak one.
Did you read the review I linked to? Explains it with a sense of humor.

VestigialLlama4
05-24-2017, 07:48 PM

When your website link has the phrase "clickbait" in it, not many people are going to read it. Though the content you outlined more than befits "clickbait".

Firstly, Prince of Persia has plenty of violence, it's a hack-and-slash game where you have to kill every enemy in your path. Assassin's Creed is far less violent, since in the games you can avoid killing by stealth/guile/navigation most guards and enemies, and are only required to kill a set number of targets.

Secondly. Far Cry doesn't have any AC-style lore, just your standard FPS world-building that became de riguer after Half-Life and Bioshock crossed with some amount of South Park humor.

Watch_Dogs IS modern day AC and deliberately so, as noted by Darby McDevitt and others.

TexasCaesar
05-30-2017, 08:31 AM
I'd rather the naval combat be removed from AC but a new pirate-focused franchise be made.

There's so many different parts of the world and eras that have had piracy that it could even be made into an annual franchise. You've got the buccaneer era we saw in Black Flag, the privateers earlier on, the Barbary Pirates, the Wokous, Ching Shih's massive fleet, the Indian Ocean, modern Somalis...

cawatrooper9
05-30-2017, 02:56 PM
I'd rather the naval combat be removed from AC but a new pirate-focused franchise be made.

There's so many different parts of the world and eras that have had piracy that it could even be made into an annual franchise. You've got the buccaneer era we saw in Black Flag, the privateers earlier on, the Barbary Pirates, the Wokous, Ching Shih's massive fleet, the Indian Ocean, modern Somalis...

There's been a pirate game rumored for a while now, ever since Black Flag's release.

That being said, Black Flag was released in 2013. That's four years ago this fall, roughly the cycle of a game's production. Maybe (and it's certainly just a maybe) we'll get more info soon.

Frankie_Drums
06-13-2017, 12:05 AM
I'm not saying the naval battle formula doesn't work. If Ubi wants to make a separate naval game that would make sense as there is clearly a demand for that type of game.
And that's what you did. Cool. Cool cool cool.