PDA

View Full Version : Beating the kobayashi maru

Hiyate20
05-09-2017, 09:54 AM
So yes I am fully aware that the kobayashi maru is supposed to be a no win scenario. However I have watched many videos of people doing this mission and there is a lot of information in them and with the right crew I feel that it would not be as impossible as people might think. So I wonder if there is maybe an achievement or some reward for clearing the mission and transporting all 381 people off the ship and getting out?

delatorre32
05-09-2017, 02:24 PM
You'd have to be Captain Kirk to do that. ;) I heard the Devs were only able to rescue 111.

sven10077
05-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Ideally, the perk would be an apple.

Hiyate20
05-09-2017, 07:02 PM
you don't need to be kirk or anything fancy like that, not at all. I have been able to determine the amount of damage a single torpedo will do to shields and to hull (given the information on videos available over the last month) and am working on phaser shot damage now. at a range of 10klm the transporter will take 6 at a time every 20 seconds with possible even less time at closer range (say 5klm) so that's about 62.3 transports giving the mission a 12.7 minute run time if you were to do this without enemy's to hinder your timer. I am currently taking a look at 6 separate videos to decide if the enemy ships appear in 1 of 2 ways. They ether A) appear on a set timer (say at point 1:15 of the mission more enemy's show up). or B) enemy ships show up when you have cleared x amount off the board. Given that you can disable a ships weapons for about 30-45 seconds or something like that with the intrusion system this opens a window for 2 transports for free without any worry. The kobayashi maru can also soak a bit of damage in between transports as well, you don't NEED to draw aggro off it the second an enemy shows up.

I'm not saying that it IS possible to complete, but from what information I have it looks like it just might be if you have the right crew. The whole reason I even have this thread is to see if there is some sort of achievement if we DO complete it or if we get close like say 200 of the 381 or something like that.

delatorre32
05-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Wow! Impressive knowledge and strategy! Would love to be on your team! 😃👍

the_monotonist
05-10-2017, 02:36 AM
What would you say is the biggest obstacle preventing people from completing this mission? I see that there's a very high amount of crew to be rescued, so is it just a matter of avoiding enemy fire long enough to transport them all on board? Could the Aegis just continuously jam enemy weapons instead of trying to fight back?

delatorre32
05-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Good question. I think it will be interesting to see if shutting down the Klingon weapons until we rescue as many people as possible will work. Destroying them will just bring more. Plus only having 6 spots on the transporter will make it an even harder challenge.

Hiyate20
05-10-2017, 03:23 PM
the biggest challenge in the kobayashi maru mission from what i can see is a mix of 2 things. 1) the cooperation and response time of the crew. meaning that, are you with a crew who is aware of how to work its station and what is expected of it? also how people react to orders and the ability to coordinate with each other is a major part. for this section of the mission both tactical and engineering would need to be in near perfect sync to toggle transports, while having some interaction with helm to maintain close proximity to the kobayashi maru for quick transports. and 2) balancing and managing aggro and damage control. Knowing when to let the kobayashi maru take a few shots and when to let ether your shields or hull take the brunt of the damage will be a big factor. Assuming that you take the most shield damage at a shield rating of 1 and the least when at 5, I can only assume your shield will take even less if you route power into it pushing it even higher say to a rate of 7. so since boosting phasers only increases range and giving power to engines only increases speed (maybe mobility) they instantly become dump stats for your shields once you reach the ideal range for transports.

delatorre32
05-10-2017, 03:52 PM
I wonder, if your ship gets blown to bits after saving the passengers, did you really save them lol?

jkerr91
05-11-2017, 12:48 PM
It'll be interesting to see how long the Aegis can hang in a firefight with its shields down. It's not looking likely that we can redistribute shields to reinforce the likes of Aft, fore, starboard or port.
Once we get bored of the standard missions we can just go back and keep trying the Kobiayashi Maru until we eventually beat it...

Pyrolysed
06-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Not related to the game itself, but the actual Kobayashi maru. The most accurate way that clears all the points:
1) Resuce all the refugees.
2) Survive
3) Don't violate the neutral zone
And the way is,
Transporters take to long to beam up 381 people so you need a long-term solution without loosing the either ship and that would be protecting both ships without engagement.
The way I solved it there's two options: Either you Out-maneuver the Klingons long enough whilst constantly resequencing the shields so they can't pierce them which requires a pilot better than even Sulu himself and a button-presser on the level of Data.....so we go to the second option and that is using the minefield placed on each side of the zone.
Now you may be wondering well how the hell do I do that, it is simple Constitution-class ships have a tractor beam capable of moving another ship so a few mines isn't a problem, the problem is the mines can't touch anything or we all go BOOM (they are not motion sensitive but proximity) therefore we can move them but can't let them touch anything so we use the old beam-stop-beam-stop but really fast and precise so the klingons don't predict our strategy, creating a minefield around the Kobayashi Maru and "Enterprise" while they refugees are beamed aboard. BUT, how do you then get out? Simple, at Warp factor 8 most objects become trans-dimensional and ships can go through them, by overloading the warp core we could get to Warp 8 and move safely into Federation space with 381 souls and not a single weapon discharge.

Captain_Summers
06-10-2018, 06:11 PM
you don't need to be kirk or anything fancy like that, not at all. I have been able to determine the amount of damage a single torpedo will do to shields and to hull (given the information on videos available over the last month) and am working on phaser shot damage now. at a range of 10klm the transporter will take 6 at a time every 20 seconds with possible even less time at closer range (say 5klm) so that's about 62.3 transports giving the mission a 12.7 minute run time if you were to do this without enemy's to hinder your timer. I am currently taking a look at 6 separate videos to decide if the enemy ships appear in 1 of 2 ways. They ether A) appear on a set timer (say at point 1:15 of the mission more enemy's show up). or B) enemy ships show up when you have cleared x amount off the board. Given that you can disable a ships weapons for about 30-45 seconds or something like that with the intrusion system this opens a window for 2 transports for free without any worry. The kobayashi maru can also soak a bit of damage in between transports as well, you don't NEED to draw aggro off it the second an enemy shows up.

I'm not saying that it IS possible to complete, but from what information I have it looks like it just might be if you have the right crew. The whole reason I even have this thread is to see if there is some sort of achievement if we DO complete it or if we get close like say 200 of the 381 or something like that.

Have you even bothered to look at the Leaderboards?

#1 (https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1881185-Kobayashi-Maru-Leaderboard-New-amp-Updated-for-DLC?p=13490333&viewfull=1#post13490333)

I believe I've flown with the best of the best. Your stats and figures are inaccurate, and I know because my crew and I have spent dozens of hours, testing, recording, collating and perfecting tactics.

It's why we've got 312 saved without dying, on the Enterprise, and 246 saved on the Aegis.

I've yet to upload the screenshot, but 206 or 218 on Enterprise D was done with just 3 of us last week.

If it is possible - it's just you need perfect tactics, perfect coordination, a huge - literally - amount of practice, skill and knowledge, and a massive dose of luck.

And as luck is a variable, it's why it hasn't been done...yet.

As to whether they've put a 'cutscene' or special ending? Knowing what I know about the games designer involved and the amount of testing / knowledge that's gone into these missions, I utterly doubt it.

Trouper52
06-25-2018, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Hiyate20

I have been able to determine the amount of damage a single torpedo will do to shields and to hull (given the information on videos available over the last month)...

Hiyate20, your effort to conduct meta-analyses on various uploaded Star Trek Bridge Crew videos is to be commended; however, even the longest mission accounts are only a snapshot from a single perspective. Therefore by default, viewing the videos outside of full context cannot accurately reflect the subtleties that underpin all the values that contribute to the wider outcome. If serious in your desire to add effective findings to the Bridge Crew community, can I strongly recommend that you seek out Captain_Summers and her crew? They are a masterclass on how to collate meaningful data from which to draw informed opinion. Such a connection will not only cultivate experience of subtle game specifics and idiosyncrasies, but will also provide you with valuable insight into necessary variables that will be obtained from: gaming developer experience; and, many, many committed hours of in game testing of strategy concepts and hypothesis. (Not to mention the tireless hours spent boldly outlining and recording glitches, bugs, and the impact that such issues have on game and co-operative gameplay dynamics!)