PDA

View Full Version : A throwback to the video that actually sold me on Black Flag

RVSage
05-09-2017, 05:44 AM
I was one among the many, who did not like the way Desmond was killed back in AC3. I was super pissed, the ending felt so anti-climatic, jarring . I was kinda upset for weeks, AC3 , as such was good I really enjoyed Haytham and Connor, but the ending did leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Then Black Flag leaked early, initially I was not sold on an AC game with pirates, even the E3 presentation did not hype me enough

Then came this video from Ashraf Ismail, showing off the open world. I instantly fell in love with Buccaneer background score. The weather system and treasure hunting and seamless sea

Hope the black flag team can re create this magic with AC: Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkc4IoMb70

Many people want Jesper Kyd back on AC, but I equally prefer Brian Tyler Black Flag score was amazing one of the biggest plus points of the game, captured the feel really well

ModernWaffle
05-09-2017, 07:39 PM
The transition from 3 to 4 was awkward but I remember eventually coming round to the concept of pirates - this video did a particularly good job about showing what AC4 was aiming for. Keep forgetting about Brian Tyler but he would be equally welcomed as Kyd.

Empire/Origins has a lot going in its favour actually but most of all, I'm ready to go back to the really open environments that we had with the previous-gen games after being confined to Paris/London as amazing as those locations were.

m4r-k7
05-09-2017, 07:49 PM
I was just watching this walkthrough again the other day and agree, it did sell me on the idea when I was incredibly sceptical about pirates in an AC game.

Boy was I wrong - AC 4's gameplay and story was fantastic and Edward turned out to be my favourite protagonist.

Megas_Doux
05-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Many people want Jesper Kyd back on AC, but I equally prefer Brian Tyler Black Flag score was amazing one of the biggest plus points of the game, captured the feel really well

I do agree with you, op!

That video made me preorder AC IV, a game that despite its ACish many flaws, ended up being my favorite AC to date.By the way, watching that video makes me realize the downgrade not in terms of graphics, but a density of the NPC's and vegetation.

LoyalACFan
05-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Same video for me, actually. The first trailers that were released sort of caught me off guard; for one thing, I wasn't expecting another Assassin's Creed game at all (this was back when we thought AC3 was the big mac daddy to wrap everything up) and certainly not the very next year. And pirates seemed like a total non-sequitur. It wasn't until these walkthrough vids came out that I finally started coming around. And now AC4 is my favorite game in the series. Funny how things work out.

RVSage
05-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Glad so many of us are on the same page.

Remembering this feels like, We have waited 4 years for the next AC game. I realize how forgettable Unity and Syndicate are. Guess the year break has done me good, I have a fresh mind towards what we are going to see.

LoyalACFan
05-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Glad so many of us are on the same page.

Remembering this feels like, We have waited 4 years for the next AC game. I realize how forgettable Unity and Syndicate are. Guess the year break has done me good, I have a fresh mind towards what we are going to see.

Totally agreed. After seeing this most recent screenshot leak, I can feel the hype building like it hasn't done since early 2012 :p I know we literally only have two leaked screenshots and the promise of an Ashraf-helmed project to go on, but I've got a really good feeling about this one.

SixKeys
05-09-2017, 10:51 PM
As an aside, I don't remember seeing that bar counter knockout move in the final game.

I remained skeptical of the game up until release, but this video did make me hopeful, mainly because of the freedom on display. After AC3's linearity, I was so excited about the bit where Ashraf says you were free to complete the contract any way you like, by shooting the guy, boarding his ship or chasing him with your own. I was also happy about the emphasis on stealth and being able to avoid combat as initially I was worried that the pirate direction meant they were going to throw stealth completely out of the window. Both of those things Unity and Syndicate kept and expanded upon, which is why I wasn't nearly as disappointed with them as many other people.

crusader_prophet
05-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Black Flag was a welcome change in gameplay and I mean that in a major way. The open environments, crafting/upgrades, locale, naval combat, hunting, the multiplayer. But the one thing that I didn't like was it's story and how it evolved. There is nothing memorable for me in the story (maybe except James Kidd turning out to be Mary Read). I didn't form any relationship with anyone except Adewale. Even that was bland. I'm chasing this sage which felt like a try hard concept for the writers to come up with something interesting after death of Desmond and didn't know which way to progress after all the revelations of the first civilzation. And don't ask about the Modern day floating tablet.

ModernWaffle
05-10-2017, 04:51 PM
But the one thing that I didn't like was it's story and how it evolved... I'm chasing this sage which felt like a try hard concept for the writers to come up with something interesting after death of Desmond and didn't know which way to progress after all the revelations of the first civilzation. And don't ask about the Modern day floating tablet.

My guess is that with AC4 they tried to find a way to bridge the 'original trilogy' games with a new trilogy. The MD sections were kind of aimless but I think they had still set down some interesting new concepts that could've been developed in the next game if they wanted to much like what AC2 did for AC1. Though in retrospect, I can only speculate that a combination of the cumulative muddled MD story and AC4's good critical reception - despite its sparse MD segments - gave the go to for Ubisoft to ditch it entirely especially as Unity was supposed to be soft-reboot for the franchise that Empire now is, especially since it was going to be the first next-gen AC and probably intended to draw in new fans.