PDA

View Full Version : For Star Trek, Vive or Oculus Rift?

Oksana_Dobryiv
05-07-2017, 08:08 PM
I don't have either one, and tried googling the differences but i'm just as confused as when I started.

My understanding is that Rift has better games, Vive has better roomscale (Does that mean walking around?). Vive is better tech/visual wise. Is this true, and which would be better to get for Star Trek?

delatorre32
05-07-2017, 09:20 PM
There is no walking around- as you sit while playing this game. I've got the PS4 Pro and I LOVE it! I've seen the game being played on the PSVR and I don't notice any difference in terms of graphics. I've been waiting for this game and being an old school TOS guy- I can't WAIT until May30th!!!

Whatever your choice I'm sure you'll have a blast! :)

sven10077
05-08-2017, 12:52 AM
I don't have either one, and tried googling the differences but i'm just as confused as when I started.

My understanding is that Rift has better games, Vive has better roomscale (Does that mean walking around?). Vive is better tech/visual wise. Is this true, and which would be better to get for Star Trek?

The rift has(in the opinion of some) a better catalog at this point, of course it also has a legal battle and exodus of talent.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tn-oculus-story-studio-20170505-story.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-facebook-lawsuit-idUSKBN1792OT

HTC Vive has the better technological basis for deeper immersion in the sense of room immersion, it is also integrated with Steam and is free of the lawsuit burden.

PS4 has a lower cost if you already own a PS4, of course its refresh rate is lower and its tracking is of a lesser quality than either the Rift or Vive.

We decided in my family to go with the Vive, our steam accounts are linked and we plan to use it to communicate with our son when he is away on business trips.

sven10077
05-08-2017, 12:53 AM
There is no walking around- as you sit while playing this game. I've got the PS4 Pro and I LOVE it! I've seen the game being played on the PSVR and I don't notice any difference in terms of graphics. I've been waiting for this game and being an old school TOS guy- I can't WAIT until May30th!!!

Whatever your choice I'm sure you'll have a blast! :)

Glad to hear it, I am wondering if cross-platform matchmaking will be a thing or if we will wind up being grouped by platform?

Happy Hunting.

delatorre32
05-08-2017, 02:32 AM
Sven, good news it will be cross platform for all 3 VR systems! So much like Werewolf Within no problem in finding a fun crew!! :)

sven10077
05-08-2017, 02:47 AM
Sven, good news it will be cross platform for all 3 VR systems! So much like Werewolf Within no problem in finding a fun crew!! :)

Glad to hear it, ideally at some point people will find a group they are comfy with and have "continuing adventures" and "ongoing voyages."

ultimeh
05-19-2017, 10:40 PM
ive tried both vive and rift, but ended up getting the rift for few reasons (forget about psvr if you want better quality)

-more confortable and the wire is less heavy / annoying
-integrated headphone (very decent quality)
-display tend to be a bit better
-touch controller feel better
-rift is now also cheaper than vive

even if vive is better for larger VR room, i have no problem with my roomscale setup with 3 sensor