PDA

View Full Version : Player numbers - some facts vs "game is dead"

Herbstlicht
05-07-2017, 09:37 AM
What is kinda easy to do now, due to the event orders this weekend. Whoever did one brawl only, will see a rough estimate of individual players that played at least one brawl since friday. On PS4, i was ranked around 71.000'ish after my first brawl. So around 70k individuals did at least play one brawl match - what really doesn't seem so bad.

So, how about XBox, PC? I imagine rather healthy numbers on XBox as well, PC .. i simply can't tell, but honestly: i don't think it is as bad as some people like to make it sound. So ... Just post your numbers ^^

DrExtrem
05-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Not trying to disprove you in any way.

Imo the game is not dead, despite the massive issues in balancing, bot scaling and connections departments.

But your number is the product of an entire weekend, including multiple time zones and an event. You could say, that the number you gathered covers most players worldwide on playstation.

In relation to all the copies of for honor sold on ps4, your number is actually quite small. During the first two weeks, we had 40k players online at the same time and that included fluctuations.

The game might not be dead but it is not really healthy as well.

Egotistic_Ez
05-07-2017, 10:00 AM
And that also doesn't count anyone who played one game but was ranked after you (no idea how tied players are ordered), nor does it count people who didn't log in those couple of days or those who hate brawl. Of course that does need to be divided by region though.

And I logged in to check and it tells me it's unavailable on xbox. :( I was 32,000 and change when I actually played it though on the day it came out. I assume there's nowhere on the website to check it?

Mia.Nora
05-07-2017, 10:17 AM
I am glad situation on console is not as bad as PC, but that has no impact whatsoever to the situation we have on PC. For all I am concerned PS4, XBox and PC versions are 3 separate games that has nothing to do with each other.

As long as I can find a game of the mode I prefer fast enough (under 3-4 min) through out the day with players who are more or less as skilled as me, I would be content with game just having 50 players left.

Sadly in my region, most of the day I cant find a game at all of any kind let alone of my choice of mode. Queueing vs AI is completely pointless so is less popular modes like skirmish.

And when I get games at evenings rather fast for Dominion and Duel, player skill fluctuates so wide. Sometimes I face this guy who is not aware that GB button even exists, let alone CGB at all; or I face that guy who parries, CGB everything and feints like a tournament player.

As long as that is the situation I experience, the game is dead for me. I don't want to play on my console as graphics and reactivity are way too subpar to what you get on a good PC (140fps on average with better graphics and faster monitor refresh rate). I still play vs AI for orders, and do duels and some Dominion at evenings, but already went back to LoL as my main multiplayer game and injustice 2 is just out of corner and its beta is amazing so much better than our 3 months polished released version of For Honor.

I really want this game to pull its **** together so I can enjoy the way it deserves, so I really hope whatever they do for Season 2 works. Otherwise I would not say it is not dying, more like in life support waiting for the decision of plug.

Egotistic_Ez
05-07-2017, 10:37 AM
And when I get games at evenings rather fast for Dominion and Duel, player skill fluctuates so wide. Sometimes I face this guy who is not aware that GB button even exists, let alone CGB at all; or I face that guy who parries, CGB everything and feints like a tournament player.

This is a concern of mine as well. I'm hoping ubi gets off its *** and releases ranked in a month or so, that way even if it is a missmatch the mmr/ranked points/whatever gained or lost will reflect that. Losing to a 4man premade all on voice isn't as bad when you know it won;t really hurt your rank. Especially when, if you do beat them, you'll be rewarded a ton.

As long as that is the situation I experience, the game is dead for me. I don't want to play on my console as graphics and reactivity are way too subpar to what you get on a good PC

So what you're saying is you only care about your own opinion, not fact, and that you won't take a graphics hit but you will go and play a game that came out over a decade ago with graphics that look even older? K.

Mia.Nora
05-07-2017, 11:14 AM
This is a concern of mine as well. I'm hoping ubi gets off its *** and releases ranked in a month or so, that way even if it is a missmatch the mmr/ranked points/whatever gained or lost will reflect that. Losing to a 4man premade all on voice isn't as bad when you know it won;t really hurt your rank. Especially when, if you do beat them, you'll be rewarded a ton.

Yes, but matchmaking putting players of so different skill is already a side effect of low population. If ranked comes out now, there wont be enough players to fill a game of each rank's games. There has to be some drastic increase in population for ranked on PC can even be considered in any region out of central US/EU.

So what you're saying is you only care about your own opinion, not fact, and that you won't take a graphics hit but you will go and play a game that came out over a decade ago with graphics that look even older? K.

I am not saying I care only about my own opinion, I am saying that I am only concerned with the activity Ubisoft restricts me into. If they combined playerbase across platform, so that I could benefit from other platforms then I would care about their state as well.

Same goes for anything out the region I am hard locked into by Ubi, which is significantly smaller than other game's regional divisions. I play many games with region restriction where I have access to activity from either SE Asia or East Coast US, but this game's netcode can't handle that obviously.

For your your final comment I assume you refer to LoL as the decade old game. Thing is stability-wise it is TOP NOTCH. Stable 40 to 60ms latency, and constant polish and updates. Its graphics have been updated several times already and keeps getting updates that both revamp old characters and their animations/models. It still looks very nice with great clarity, and most importantly plays so smoothly with no issues whatsoever. And yes 160fps LoL looks WAAAAAAY better and has much more clarity of action than 30fps console For Honor.

If anything in comparison For Honor feels like a remastered game from 2 decades ago with all its structural problems.

Egotistic_Ez
05-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Yes, but matchmaking putting players of so different skill is already a side effect of low population. If ranked comes out now, there wont be enough players to fill a game of each rank's games. There has to be some drastic increase in population for ranked on PC can even be considered in any region out of central US/EU.

Or you could just make every game ranked. A lot of fighters have ranked as the default mode.

If they combined playerbase across platform, so that I could benefit from other platforms then I would care about their state as well.

While I would love that in For Honor it'll never happen. You might get xbox and pc together, but Sony ill never go crossplay with either microsoft platform.

Same goes for anything out the region I am hard locked into by Ubi, which is significantly smaller than other game's regional divisions. I play many games with region restriction where I have access to activity from either SE Asia or East Coast US, but this game's netcode can't handle that obviously.

The weird thing is it CAN handle it. I have a mate who lives in Canada and I group with him from Aus all the time, no issues. The errors people get are to do with packet drops, sync issues, and other poor design choices in the code, not actual latency. Ubi could remove region lock and it wouldn't affect stability at all.

DrExtrem
05-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Ife very game was ranked, it might even enhance the matchmaking.
In ranked matches, skill should always be the main factor when it comes to putting the right people against each other.

StarCraft 2 made a pretty good job with their skill tiers.

vgrimr_J
05-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Last 24h peak was around 4000 players

Mia.Nora
05-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Or you could just make every game ranked. A lot of fighters have ranked as the default mode.

While I would love that in For Honor it'll never happen. You might get xbox and pc together, but Sony ill never go crossplay with either microsoft platform.

The weird thing is it CAN handle it. I have a mate who lives in Canada and I group with him from Aus all the time, no issues. The errors people get are to do with packet drops, sync issues, and other poor design choices in the code, not actual latency. Ubi could remove region lock and it wouldn't affect stability at all.

If that's the case I hope they do that sooner than later, I mean widening region locks and maybe even combining xbox and PC matchmaking. There would be nothing that would make me happier than having more player activity going on in the region/platform I am locked in which is my main gripe.