PDA

View Full Version : redesign some of the female characters

Dakaal
05-06-2017, 09:57 PM
I just want to say that some of the female characters in this game lack femininity, like the Vikings for example, the female Rider, Berserker, the running animation looks bad
The only difference between the male and female character its a little bump in the chest area, and also the Valkyrie looks too burly...

I know they are warriors but still, a female warrior still looks feminine...

ouh, and by the way the ornaments looks horrible, they lack imagination

Sorry for my bad English

bmason1000
05-06-2017, 10:09 PM
No. Absolutely not, no. No. No. Especially the female vikings. They are perfect. That raider isn't here to bang you, she's here to break your f****** neck. I absolutely love them.

kweassa1917
05-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Well, it's a sensitive topic, but personally I like the portrayal of different types of womanly physique. If they were showing me "Red Sonja", I'd actually have been disappointed.

https://www.dynamite.com/images/RS1973CovBRareBenesVirg.jpg

"Bikini armor: The more you expose, the higher your defense!" :D

(ps) In Japan, it's also known as "The Gentlemen Theorem" -- as in your opponents, humans or monsters, are actually all gentlemanly chaps, so they would never, ever do a vile and dirty thing like targeting for exposed flesh on women with scantily clad "armor". :D

CandleInTheDark
05-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Well, it's a sensitive topic, but personally I like the portrayal of different types of womanly physique. If they were showing me "Red Sonja", I'd actually have been disappointed.

https://www.dynamite.com/images/RS1973CovBRareBenesVirg.jpg

"Bikini armor: The more you expose, the higher your defense!" :D

I love the build of the valk and female zerker, they are warriors, otherwise they would be home with the children and other womenfolk.

kweassa1917
05-06-2017, 10:27 PM
I love the build of the valk and female zerker, they are warriors, otherwise they would be home with the children and other womenfolk.

I think we might have opened up a hellgate for discussions full of teenage hormones with this topic... Oh good lord;;

CandleInTheDark
05-06-2017, 10:30 PM
I think we might have opened up a hellgate for discussions full of teenage hormones with this topic... Oh good lord;;

Yes >.> but it needed to be said, people aren't happy unless they have half naked anorexic (yet still broad chested) pixelfolk to do their skull bashing sometimes.

bmason1000
05-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Oh yeah. I'm waitin for this to get realll bad.

Dakaal
05-06-2017, 10:41 PM
I didn't said anything about how they are dressed, But the running animation its look wrong for me "Rider and Berserker" female, i am pointing to the Japanese and Knight faction female they look ok, and the Valkyrie arms are to muscular

http://i.imgur.com/hwUhq53.jpg

DrExtrem
05-06-2017, 10:54 PM
Nope.

They look great. The female heroes need a strong physical presence, because they are warriors, who kill and not some fashion dolls. The valk throws javelins and the dane axe is not really a balanced weapon either. The female warden wears chain mail, full helmets and a two kilo long sword, that needs to be swung fast. For this, you need muscles and stamina. The pk dances and dishes, whole striking fast and hard. Without physical strength and stamina, fighting is not possible.

I already have to endure the shinobi and the smile crap ... spare us fantasy armor.

bmason1000
05-06-2017, 10:57 PM
The valkyrie is too muscular, and then shows a hollywood movie poster as...evidence? Or a suggestion? I'm not sure.

Dakaal
05-06-2017, 11:21 PM
BUT I am not talking about the armor, i am talking about the running animation from Rider and Berseker female, i don't know why do you think that i am talking about my fantasy, i am not
I showed you the pic to see that u can look feminine with full body armor, and ofc its a Hollywood picture, i don't have picture with real Vikings warrior from 1000 years ago
And the design its poor, the viking armors have to many bones, they look more like voodoo warrior to me then viking

I understand that they are warriors, that's why i am pointing towards the Knight and Japanese faction female

Another Hollywood pic
http://i.imgur.com/maARRCE.jpg

bmason1000
05-06-2017, 11:44 PM
Haha I understand you don't have photos of real Vikings. What I'm saying is hollywoods entire business model is "sex sells." Of course she would look like that.

bmason1000
05-06-2017, 11:46 PM
This thread has convinced me to use the female berserker model only.

TheMalakith
05-06-2017, 11:52 PM
I'm glad they aren't hollywood like, they brought way to many steriotypes and miss information into this world already. The femlare characters are good the way they are, more naked or gilrly like would make them totally out of place and turn this into another Japanese style game. No thanks.

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 12:24 AM
I'm still waiting for female warlords, LB's, shugoki's and kensei. Gender lock is BS. Only gender lock that makes sense is valkyrie but since we're heavily skewing history and mythology anyway, why not have a bearded valkyrie dude? So, yeah...gender lock is bull s***.

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 12:25 AM
P.s., I'm not actually waiting for it. I know that's not ever coming.

Dakaal
05-07-2017, 12:27 AM
Seems that my point can't reach you guys, maybe it's my lack of explication, anyway i dare u to play with Viking Rider and Berseker female and see for yourself, the strange running animation
and the picture with the female warrior its from the movie Viking from History channel, the producers said that its respect real facts
and the Actress, she is a warrior in real life " Katheryn Winnick is an accomplished martial artist who holds a third-degree black belt in Taekwondo and a second-degree black belt in Karate" from IMDB Biography
My point is that u don't have to be muscular to be a warrior "female case"

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 12:34 AM
I am using the female berserker. I'm not sure what you mean about the animation? I'll keep looking though.

And people doing taekwondo arent wearing armor and carrying heavy weapons. I was in the army, the difference in physical exertion between operating in light clothes and operating in armor carrying a weapon is staggering. To do what these characters do with the equipment they have would take serious muscle.

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 12:38 AM
I can run and jump in some shorts and a tshirt allll day, you throw that uniform on with a vest and a helmet and grab your weapon, its another story entirely.

kweassa1917
05-07-2017, 01:23 AM
Well didn't mean to sound harsh, but the "feminine" styles are already mostly product of objectification... and frankly, unless it's ceremonial or symbolic, in the rare cases women aere a part of warfare they really weren't all that from men in basic equipment and feel...

I mean, it's not like I don't enjoy good, beautified versions of female physique, arms and armor in games, but I'm not sure if that's really necessary in FH. The FemRaider is quite tall, muscular and defined, the PK is petite and small, and the Nobushi is average. If anything the female version of the Warden and Conq (IMO) lack too much bulk and already looks like a bit 'fantasized' so that they look smaller, indicating its a woman -- compared to how female Orochis or Kenseis, Berserkers are pretty on par with their male counterparts.

Do we reall need to see bigger boobs, flowing and fine colored hair, smooth curves on their bodies to emphasize to our minds that they are women? I really don't think so.

Now, IMO, possibly, they could add in more versions of armors which clearly indicate they are women -- for example, many women during the Sengoku period of Japan learned the art of naginata as a mode of self-defense, and in times of desperation actually did engage in combat, Therefore, while most of the looks in FH are simply women wearing common (men's) armor, there could be options which portray women wearing women's attire. I would not be opposed to that.

For example, women armed with the naginata...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c6/c7/ab/c6c7ab988f9c9b5b9be83d35898dcb3b.jpg
https://assets.rbl.ms/9315176/980x.jpg
https://oist-prod-www.s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/photos/kubudo3.JPG

Designs like these could be used as a reference for female warriors in female attire of the (portrayed/implied) historical timeline.

But if this goes too far... and turns into something like this...

http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/008_thumb-2.jpg

..then this is no longer women fighting in women's attire, but more of hot women fighting in hot, rearranged versions of women's attire to show how hot they are... and if this is what someone wants by "feminine" depictions in FH, then I don't think I'd enjoy that much.

CandleInTheDark
05-07-2017, 01:27 AM
I use the female berserker, and have used the valkyrie, as for running wrong, I have to say I don't watch their legs or their backside when they run, I am more interested in whose skull I am going to crack next.

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 01:37 AM
Well didn't mean to sound harsh, but the "feminine" styles are already mostly product of objectification... and frankly, unless it's ceremonial or symbolic, in the rare cases women aere a part of warfare they really weren't all that from men in basic equipment and feel...

I mean, it's not like I don't enjoy good, beautified versions of female physique, arms and armor in games, but I'm not sure if that's really necessary in FH. The FemRaider is quite tall, muscular and defined, the PK is petite and small, and the Nobushi is average. If anything the female version of the Warden and Conq (IMO) lack too much bulk and already looks like a bit 'fantasized' so that they look smaller, indicating its a woman -- compared to how female Orochis or Kenseis, Berserkers are pretty on par with their male counterparts.

Do we reall need to see bigger boobs, flowing and fine colored hair, smooth curves on their bodies to emphasize to our minds that they are women? I really don't think so.

Now, IMO, possibly, they could add in more versions of armors which clearly indicate they are women -- for example, many women during the Sengoku period of Japan learned the art of naginata as a mode of self-defense, and in times of desperation actually did engage in combat, Therefore, while most of the looks in FH are simply women wearing common (men's) armor, there could be options which portray women wearing women's attire. I would not be opposed to that.

For example, women armed with the naginata...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c6/c7/ab/c6c7ab988f9c9b5b9be83d35898dcb3b.jpg
https://assets.rbl.ms/9315176/980x.jpg
https://oist-prod-www.s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/photos/kubudo3.JPG

Designs like these could be used as a reference for female warriors in female attire of the (portrayed/implied) historical timeline.

But if this goes too far... and turns into something like this...

http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/008_thumb-2.jpg

..then this is no longer women fighting in women's attire, but more of hot women fighting in hot, rearranged versions of women's attire to show how hot they are... and if this is what someone wants by "feminine" depictions in FH, then I don't think I'd enjoy that much.

A+ to this post.

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 01:39 AM
I use the female berserker, and have used the valkyrie, as for running wrong, I have to say I don't watch their legs or their backside when they run, I am more interested in whose skull I am going to crack next.
Yeah I'm actually keeping my female berserker. I'm really diggin it.

Arctic-Pixie
05-07-2017, 11:02 AM
I was like "nah i dont want to poke this hornet's nest" but I changed my mind because a) ubisoft deserves praise for these warrior women's design and b) i play nobushi and valkyrie mostly (valk against ai only, i am terrible at it but love it), poking is what i do.

I wasnt quite aware of how much video games tend to lack diversity in female bodies even though i am a girl, because i didnt have to look further than Warframe's Ember to feel that my body type had representation... let's run with Warframe as an example, because even if you're not familiar with the game it should be easy enough to google and find a list of all 33 warframes with thumbnail pics to illustrate. Warframe has a lot of different body styles, they are definitely not carbon copies of each other, and i used to be amazed with how diverse it was until my friend whose body type is rarely represented in games pointed out that the weight difference between the smallest (nezha, nekros) and biggest (rhino) male frames was probably 50-60 kg easily vs. Maybe 20-25 between the smallest (titania) and biggest (saryn?? Not even sure) female frames. That says a bit for how far they are willing to push what we are used to seeing, and it's not really far enough, is it?

For honor blows warframe out of the water with diverse women you get to play and customize to your heart's content! You got the shorter, small-boned peacekeeper and orochi, the tall-and-lean nobushi **, the big, strong but nonetheless hourglass-y valkyr and conqueror and anything in between. (I love the valkyr's unapologetically muscular arms, and yes, there are definitely women out there who look like her. I think she is absolutely beautiful!)

They are not only diverse, but just as diverse as the male warriors and that. Is. Rare! It basically never happens, but in For Honor has this kind of variety even within each faction! Artists are usually happy to make male characters with anything from skinny, through chubby, to huge muscular bodies, while the women in games tend to all fit in the same hourglass mould but in different sizes. For honor, instead, has women that realistically could carry that armour and wield those weapons. And it is awesome and trust me, there are a lot of cheering women out there when companies do this, especially when it is for good reasons, realism, rather than token diversity and pandering without understanding or doing the research.

Ubisoft has done this elsewhere too, the npc's walking around in Watchdog 2's san fransisco are awesomely diverse as well.

Now, if we could get a Gwendoline Christie-esque female lawbringer, a female warlord/shieldmaiden who gets to keep some of his bulk and waistline, and a female Shugoki, with every bit of humour we see in the shugoki emotes, the roster would really start to represent real life.

And yes, a fat, woman shugoki would have a lot of people spew hate, or, you know, be concerned for her health, but the fact that she would cause reactions doesn't mean she shouldnt exist. I think it might even mean she should.

** I got the height comparisons all wrong, see the post by SvKriegor on page 4!

DrExtrem
05-07-2017, 11:16 AM
BUT I am not talking about the armor, i am talking about the running animation from Rider and Berseker female, i don't know why do you think that i am talking about my fantasy, i am not
I showed you the pic to see that u can look feminine with full body armor, and ofc its a Hollywood picture, i don't have picture with real Vikings warrior from 1000 years ago
And the design its poor, the viking armors have to many bones, they look more like voodoo warrior to me then viking

I understand that they are warriors, that's why i am pointing towards the Knight and Japanese faction female

Another Hollywood pic
http://i.imgur.com/maARRCE.jpg

I want to see her in a battle. A well placed blow with a hammer or flail would crush her arm under the shield.

A viking sword is quite heavy and that shield is nothing to sneeze at as well. Fighting with sword and shield is more exhausting, than fighting with a long sword as well. Her muscles would burn like they were drenched in battery acid after ten minutes.
You need stamina and strength if you want to fight with a chain mail and sword and shield. Weight is also helpful, because it is more difficult to tip you off balance - except your enemy is trying to lever you with special techniques.

JohnWick87
05-07-2017, 11:27 AM
nonono, pls dont change them ! They shall stay " death by snusnu" ! its good as it is .^^

Egotistic_Ez
05-07-2017, 11:33 AM
The female character bodies are fine, even if the valk is more manly than I am, but some of the dual gender classes do reuse animations and they look off. Not enough to worry about given the state of the game, but it is another sign that they rushed the release.

Gray360UK
05-07-2017, 11:53 AM
They are perfect. If you want that wiggle when you walk, play Peacekeeper (just don't take her helmet off, whatever you do). Nobushi is on the small side too. Funnily enough, they are the agile, fast characters that don't rely on brute strength. The strong powerful characters that rely on brute strength ... well, who'da thunk it ... they are strong and powerful looking.

Vikings especially should not look like supermodels. The kind of powerful woman you would expect to rise to prominence in, lets face it, what would otherwise be a male dominated world, is going to do so because she's as strong as the men, not because she has curves in all the right places and a pretty face.

You've been watching too many Hollywood movies / TV shows.

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 04:07 PM
I was like "nah i dont want to poke this hornet's nest" but I changed my mind because a) ubisoft deserves praise for these warrior women's design and b) i play nobushi and valkyrie mostly (valk against ai only, i am terrible at it but love it), poking is what i do.

I wasnt quite aware of how much video games tend to lack diversity in female bodies even though i am a girl, because i didnt have to look further than Warframe's Ember to feel that my body type had representation... let's run with Warframe as an example, because even if you're not familiar with the game it should be easy enough to google and find a list of all 33 warframes with thumbnail pics to illustrate. Warframe has a lot of different body styles, they are definitely not carbon copies of each other, and i used to be amazed with how diverse it was until my friend whose body type is rarely represented in games pointed out that the weight difference between the smallest (nezha, nekros) and biggest (rhino) male frames was probably 50-60 kg easily vs. Maybe 20-25 between the smallest (titania) and biggest (saryn?? Not even sure) female frames. That says a bit for how far they are willing to push what we are used to seeing, and it's not really far enough, is it?

For honor blows warframe out of the water with diverse women you get to play and customize to your heart's content! You got the shorter, small-boned peacekeeper and orochi, the tall-and-lean nobushi, the big, strong but nonetheless hourglass-y valkyr and conqueror and anything in between. (I love the valkyr's unapologetically muscular arms, and yes, there are definitely women out there who look like her. I think she is absolutely beautiful!)

They are not only diverse, but just as diverse as the male warriors and that. Is. Rare! It basically never happens, but in For Honor has this kind of variety even within each faction! Artists are usually happy to make male characters with anything from skinny, through chubby, to huge muscular bodies, while the women in games tend to all fit in the same hourglass mould but in different sizes. For honor, instead, has women that realistically could carry that armour and wield those weapons. And it is awesome and trust me, there are a lot of cheering women out there when companies do this, especially when it is for good reasons, realism, rather than token diversity and pandering without understanding or doing the research.

Ubisoft has done this elsewhere too, the npc's walking around in Watchdog 2's san fransisco are awesomely diverse as well.

Now, if we could get a Gwendoline Christie-esque female lawbringer, a female warlord/shieldmaiden who gets to keep some of his bulk and waistline, and a female Shugoki, with every bit of humour we see in the shugoki emotes, the roster would really start to represent real life.

And yes, a fat, woman shugoki would have a lot of people spew hate, or, you know, be concerned for her health, but the fact that she would cause reactions doesn't mean she shouldnt exist. I think it might even mean she should.

+1.

CandleInTheDark
05-07-2017, 04:17 PM

I watched a speech by Joss Wheadon and he made a point of saying people keep asking me why I write strong female characters and the answer is because people are still asking me that question. A very well thought out post and I agree with every word of it,just that particular bit I had a comment on.

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 06:36 PM
I watched a speech by Joss Wheadon and he made a point of saying people keep asking me why I write strong female characters and the answer is because people are still asking me that question. A very well thought out post and I agree with every word of it,just that particular bit I had a comment on.

That's awesome.

Arctic-Pixie
05-07-2017, 06:41 PM

That's a much better way of saying what I was trying to say, thank you! If something that is so normal in real life still causes reactions when you see it in a game or on TV, it means we need to see it more often.

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 06:46 PM
That's a much better way of saying what I was trying to say, thank you! If something that is so normal in real life still causes reactions when you see it in a game or on TV, it means we need to see it more often.

Agreed.

CandleInTheDark
05-07-2017, 07:24 PM
I dug up that speech and yeah I very much agree. Joss gave several answers he has given to that question (apparently he has been asked it, a lot), the one I remembered was right at the end but it is interesting all through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYaczoJMRhs

Yarzahn
05-07-2017, 08:24 PM
I like most female characters.

The only one I truly dislike is the Raider, because her run animation is weird, but most of all because I cannot stand her voice when she does the area sweep.

In fact, I prefer the female version of Berserker and Conqueror to their male versions.
I'm curious, do the new classes have female versions? Or are they male-only?

Hormly
05-07-2017, 08:24 PM
I agree, sex it up a little I wanna see some booooobies

SJW_Kriegor
05-07-2017, 08:31 PM
"You got the shorter, small-boned peacekeeper and orochi, the tall-and-lean nobushi"

I used to think that as well but it's just an impression. I like to measure the size of each hero (everyone his strange hobbies) and I have compared all the female versions between themselves (by taking a hero and standing still next to an other hero). Actually the nobushi is very small, about as small as the peacekeeper. Orochi looks small but her size is average. She is around the same size as female Kensai and female Warden!

Builds and fighting stances influence our perceptions. The most obvious example is the Warlord. He doesn't look like that but he is one of the tallest heroes of the game by far.

CandleInTheDark
05-07-2017, 08:31 PM
I like most female characters.

The only one I truly dislike is the Raider, because her run animation is weird, but most of all because I cannot stand her voice when she does the area sweep.

In fact, I prefer the female version of Berserker and Conqueror to their male versions.
I'm curious, do the new classes have female versions? Or are they male-only?

The centurion is male only, the shinobi is either.

Yarzahn
05-07-2017, 09:00 PM
The centurion is male only, the shinobi is either.

Thanks!

frank1ller
05-07-2017, 09:18 PM
No! keep gender lock class. I choosed the shugoki as my main cause of that.

I also hate that my berserk can be represented as an ugly female.

In my opinion, it shouldnt even have female in this game.
I just want a game without **** porn. thats why I dont play overwatch anymore.

Elzziwelzzif
05-07-2017, 09:53 PM
In regards to the female physique, they do it pretty well in this game.

The Nobushi has a real feminine air around her, even when covered in quite some layers of cloth.

The berserker on the other hand has no grace whatsoever. Then again, with all her emotes and the way she fights i'd dont expect her to go home and sit crosslegged to sip some wine.
I'd see her back in the viking longhalls at the head of the table, eating roasted boar straight off the stake, burping and farting and shouting for more beer.

They have done a pretty nice job with the female heroes. They fit their roles nicely, and although i prefer playing female characters, some should be male only.

A female shugoki might fuel someones fetish, but if you look at RL female sumo-wrestlers, you see its more of a form/ show thing, instead of actual sumo.

(I find the female Conc a pretty difficult one. I'd go for a male only for them as well.)

kabal_ua
05-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Id like muscle girls alot ! So author just talking bulsht. The warrior girls must looks like the actually do in real life !
And that Laguerta scrin, wich someone added to this topic is just bulsht, cuz Laguerta is not a real warrior, but just usual female actor, with super poor body thats all.

Arctic-Pixie
05-07-2017, 10:38 PM
"You got the shorter, small-boned peacekeeper and orochi, the tall-and-lean nobushi"

I used to think that as well but it's just an impression. I like to measure the size of each hero (everyone his strange hobbies) and I have compared all the female versions between themselves (by taking a hero and standing still next to an other hero). Actually the nobushi is very small, about as small as the peacekeeper. Orochi looks small but her size is average. She is around the same size as female Kensai and female Warden!

Builds and fighting stances influence our perceptions. The most obvious example is the Warlord. He doesn't look like that but he is one of the tallest heroes of the game by far.

Wow that's really cool information, thank you! And you're absolutely right, I got all of that wrong, even the warlord, I also thought he was on the shorter side compared to the other male characters. Perhaps the weapons are playing tricks on our mind too, the warlord sword and shield is probably WAY bigger than I imagine, especially since the valkyr buckler is also round with similarearly designs but so small in comparison to her body vs the warlord and his shield. and I always imagine the orochi's blade is way smaller than the kensei one, which is probably false. I started out playing the peacekeeper, because I had a hard time learning blocking, and the peacekeeper allowed me to just dodge instead vs AI, so I could focus on learning the rest. Playing her, she's all hunched over while fighting, while the Nobushi tends to go into her hidden stance, and from the hunched over PK perspective, she looks very tall and elegant, and now when I play the nobushi, the peacekeeper probably only looks short because she hunches over..

Did you do a height comparison post somewhere? I'd love to see the real height differences and see how wrong I've been about others :o

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 11:01 PM
No! keep gender lock class. I choosed the shugoki as my main cause of that.

I also hate that my berserk can be represented as an ugly female.

In my opinion, it shouldnt even have female in this game.
I just want a game without **** porn. thats why I dont play overwatch anymore.

You're entitled to your opinion and i won't tell you its wrong, but i am curious why you think there shouldn't be female characters and why it bothers you that berserker can be an "ugly female"

bmason1000
05-07-2017, 11:08 PM
They fit their roles nicely, and although i prefer playing female characters, some should be male only.

A female shugoki might fuel someones fetish, but if you look at RL female sumo-wrestlers, you see its more of a form/ show thing, instead of actual sumo.

(I find the female Conc a pretty difficult one. I'd go for a male only for them as well.)
I'm very confused by this sort of thinking. Would you mind explaining your thoughts a little more?

kweassa1917
05-08-2017, 01:27 AM
I'm very confused by this sort of thinking. Would you mind explaining your thoughts a little more?

It's just another way of saying he doesn't want to see fat girls around.

bmason1000
05-08-2017, 01:31 AM

Hahaha

Elzziwelzzif
05-08-2017, 07:01 AM
That would indeed be a solid answer, but not the one is was going for.

If you look at female sumo they are a bit more "solid" than your average beauty standard, but they don't go the male route of acctual "fat".
I think it would be a pretty far stretch to get a woman so heavy AND strong to fill the pants of a shugoki.
(Filling the pants isn't the problem, moving around afterwards might be.)
Has more to with the female body than their will.

Its basically the same thing which i find strange with the conq. She has armor sets without sleeves, where you can see the arm the chain is wrapped around.
Its basically the same of that of the male conq, while she is made quite a bit skinnier to fit the female figure. Its as if she has gorilla arms.
Having a woman with those type of arms would be possible, but than i would have to go for a male conq with boobs as body type.

CoyoteXStarrk
05-08-2017, 07:13 AM
No.

Way.

In.

Hell.

If they TOUCH my female Beserker I am gonna be pissed. They are Warriors not supermodels. Especially when you consider the Lore!

- The Valkyrie which according to the lore sounds like they are raised from birth to be warrior shield-maidens. They would have been physically conditioned their entire life to meet the physical demands of battle and life in the wilderness due to their function as scouts. When you are raised to live that way you are not gonna look like Giselle Bunchen

- The Beserkers are considered to be wild and free. They sound as if they were raised in the wilderness. Also doesn't sound like a life that would raise someone to look like a Victorias Secret model to me.

- The Female Conquerors are criminals. Taken from their prison cells to be front line fighters and had to claw their way to warrior status and be given the name of Conqueror. They also are decked out in Chainmail, a beastly shield and a flail. You are not gonna get me to accept a more feminine version of them.

- Do I really need to explain the Female Raider?

You get the point. This is the most accurate representation of female warriors than any other game I have ever seen. So you can take that "More feminine looks please" and get it right the heck outta my game.

kweassa1917
05-08-2017, 07:52 AM
That would indeed be a solid answer, but not the one is was going for.

If you look at female sumo they are a bit more "solid" than your average beauty standard, but they don't go the male route of acctual "fat".
I think it would be a pretty far stretch to get a woman so heavy AND strong to fill the pants of a shugoki.
(Filling the pants isn't the problem, moving around afterwards might be.)
Has more to with the female body than their will.

...which, doesn't seem to have much relevance at all to this matter, since the Shugoki is not a sumo wrestler, but a large, obese man using the Ki/Oni theme as a gimmick. Which then simply becomes a matter of putting a large, obese female with a mask.

Its basically the same thing which i find strange with the conq. She has armor sets without sleeves, where you can see the arm the chain is wrapped around.
Its basically the same of that of the male conq, while she is made quite a bit skinnier to fit the female figure. Its as if she has gorilla arms.
Having a woman with those type of arms would be possible, but than i would have to go for a male conq with boobs as body type.

You've obviously not seen very many women who really work out, then. Even without steroid abuse, there are lots of muscular women with biceps the size of my male thighs despite generally slim figure.

SJW_Kriegor
05-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Did you do a height comparison post somewhere? I'd love to see the real height differences and see how wrong I've been about others

No I didn't. The best way to do it would be to play a custom match with 7 friends, all playing different heroes and do nice pictures. I'm five friends short for that. ^^
Though next time you're playing your Valkyrie or Nobushi, try standing still next to one of your ally while he is just idle. You'll see both of them are smaller than we naturally imagine.

CoyoteXStarrk
05-08-2017, 08:30 AM
No.

Way.

If they TOUCH my female Beserker I am gonna be pissed. They are Warriors not supermodels. Especially when you consider the Lore!

- The Valkyrie which according to the lore sounds like they are raised from birth to be warrior shield-maidens. They would have been physically conditioned their entire life to meet the physical demands of battle and life in the wilderness due to their function as scouts. When you are raised to live that way you are not gonna look like Giselle Bunchen

- The Beserkers are considered to be wild and free. They sound as if they were raised in the wilderness. Also doesn't sound like a life that would raise someone to look like a Victorias Secret model to me.

- The Female Conquerors are criminals. Taken from their prison cells to be front line fighters and had to claw their way to warrior status and be given the name of Conqueror. They also are decked out in Chainmail, a beastly shield and a flail. You are not gonna get me to accept a more feminine version of them.

- Do I really need to explain the Female Raider?

You get the point. This is the most accurate representation of female warriors than any other game I have ever seen. So you can take that "More feminine looks please" and get it right the heck outta my game.

rossato2109
05-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Yeah, they could be a little more feminine. I am almost sure the valkyre is a shemale.

rossato2109
05-08-2017, 06:55 PM

Wow, I bet most here didnt know Ubisoft owner was in here.

bmason1000
05-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Yeah, they could be a little more feminine. I am almost sure the valkyre is a shemale.
Why is it an issue they have masculine qualities? And if the devs came out and said "yeah valkyries totally transgender," would that negatively effect your opinion of the game?

I'm not trying to be a s*** starter, i am genuinely curious because this kind of thing baffles me.

RealJayDee1984
05-08-2017, 07:59 PM
I would be perfectly happy if only, say, the Shugoki and the Valkyrie were gender locked (I also didn't even realize the Nobushi was exclusively female until I'd played the game for a while). And aside from that I think the female character design is pretty damn impressive for a video game. Portraying them as straight up no-nonsense warriors who just so happen to be female, that's really something of a rarity, and I applaud the decision to not doll them up for a cheap attempt to broaden the appeal of characters and game.

Also the female Conquerer and Berserker are pretty hot. ;)

Pope138
05-08-2017, 09:31 PM
I could not disagree with OP more.
The art department has done an amazing job in so many different areas of this game. Some of the best design I've ever seen. And they nailed the female warrior archetype. No heeled boots and boob armor here.

Corvy
05-08-2017, 10:02 PM
No.
Stop to ruin games with your fkn fantasies!.

Ubisoft do an excelent work with the gender toppic in this game.

NSolace
05-08-2017, 10:15 PM
The amount of cuck-posting going on is cringy af (especially the Whedon ****).

Aside from that, don't see a reason for them to change. It's good for games to have variety and not all have the same focus.

tunkaz
05-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Nonono this game need a monster shoguki female :p

Dakaal
05-08-2017, 10:47 PM
I started this Topic mainly talking about the female animation while running from Raider and Zerker, and u guys start talking about something that i point it out as non Topic for the discussion
And talking about the Valkyrie muscular appearance...

"According to a 2004 study published in American Physiology Society, the skeletal muscles of men are faster and render higher maximum output compared to women’s skeletal muscles. However, women have the advantage of recovering faster and being more fatigue-resistant. Estrogen-B seems to have an effect in muscle contractile speed, making men more efficient in producing power and women more efficient in healing. Men also release testosterone which is very important in muscle-building. It sufficiently explains why men develop bigger muscles than women.The muscle tissues of men and women are the same, but fibers among individuals can differ depending on genetics and their regular activities. There are three main types of muscle fibers namely Type I fibers, Type IIa fibers and Type IIb fibers. These are also called slow twitch fibers and fast twitch fibers according to an article published in FASEB Journal. Slow twitch fibers are important for endurance and conditioning while fast twitch fibers are important for power. Men usually have more fast twitch muscle fibers compared to women which is why men are stronger and women are more fatigue-resistant.According to a 1999 study published in Journal of Applied Physiology, men have more skeletal muscle mass compared to women. This is also the reason why men tend to be stronger than women. More muscle mass means more power output. As you get heavier, however, skeletal muscle composition starts to decline so it is vital to maintain a healthy weight and stay within your ideal to keep strength and muscle mass proportionate. Women can develop their skeletal muscles to increase strength too. You still need to stay within your ideal weight range to keep your strength proportionate with your size.A study shown in Experimental Physiology showed that men and women generally respond the same way to training. However, women are more fatigue-resistant because they have more slow twitch fibers and use up hormones like estrogen. Men, on the other hand, can provide higher power output but are less resistant because of the higher volume of fast twitch fibers in their body. Women tend to engage more in sports and cardiovascular training which is why they develop their slow twitch fibers more. Men tend to lift weights and do short but powerful cardiovascular exercises, thereby developing their fast twitch muscle fibers." Source livestrong.com

"According to the "Journal of Applied Physiology," a pharmacological dose of testosterone increased muscle mass. It is suggested that this increase in muscle mass is a result of testosterone increasing muscle protein synthesis. Testosterone deficiency in women can lead to decreased energy, decreased sex drive and a decrease in strength and endurance. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, when individuals use testosterone -- an anabolic steroid -- they will experience increases in muscle and strength significantly beyond those acquired through training alone." Source livestrong.com

http://i.imgur.com/qZpQ9z9.jpg

BUT my point was that Zerker and Raider female running animation looks wrong to me...

bmason1000
05-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Sooo... those photos on the left are fake haha?

Dakaal
05-08-2017, 11:21 PM
The photos in the left it's what happens when a women use Testosterone and Hormones for muscular growth

"This an extreme case of female bodybuilder but you can clearly see the changes that testosterone injections generate:

Muscular growth
Facial male traits

That's right, high testosterone combined with human growth hormone in women is going to literally change the shape of their face.

You can notice how also the bone growth can make a woman look like a man.

Other side effects can be:

Hair loss (alopecia)
Growth of body hair

"

http://i.imgur.com/ABb9Jv5.jpg

I didn't know that Vikings had testosterone and hormones pills 1000 years ago

I am done explaining

Have a nice day

kweassa1917
05-09-2017, 02:39 AM
The photos in the left it's what happens when a women use Testosterone and Hormones for muscular growth

"This an extreme case of female bodybuilder but you can clearly see the changes that testosterone injections generate:

Muscular growth
Facial male traits

That's right, high testosterone combined with human growth hormone in women is going to literally change the shape of their face.

You can notice how also the bone growth can make a woman look like a man.

Other side effects can be:

Hair loss (alopecia)
Growth of body hair

"
(** Pic snipped**)

I am done explaining

Have a nice day

Articles like these seem to contradict your "can't bulk up without testosterone" bullshi*.

"The natural muscular potential of women"
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/natural-muscular-potential-women/

"Breaking the Myth - Increasing Testosterone In Females = Muscle Accretion, Strength Gains, And Fat Loss"
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/myth-of-women-lifting-heavy2.htm

Besides, the FemRaider isn't exactly She-Hulk. She's tall and generally bulky and muscular overtone, but it's not like she's ripped without any hint of bodyfat or anything. The amount of bulk the FemRaider is at, is about as much you would expect when tall women of over 6 feet stature and naturally large frame structure, goes into heavy physical training without controlling their diet to specifcially reduce body fat. Looks plenty natural to me, unlike the testosterone/steroid laden pic you've presented. .

Dakaal
05-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Every time i point " to a point i want to make " you guys avoid the point... first i was talking about Valkyrie... second the Rider female looks fine, i have a problem with the way she swing her axe while running

M0nty_1
05-09-2017, 02:17 PM
OP,
I did notice a female character had a rather masculine run. Women do tend to run a little differently because their hips are wider than men's. It doesn't bother me much though - generally I really like how Ubisoft have done the female characters (and male) in this game.
Regarding how muscular the female characters are, I really like that they look strong. I wouldn't play this game if the female characters looked like Barbie. Ie. skinny everywhere except in the chest and maybe the butt. I also wouldn't play this game if I couldn't play as a female. There was one really good sounding role playing game that I didn't buy, solely because you could only play as a bloke. (I'm female IRL.)
I mainly play Nobushi, and I especially like their lore and their use of the nagitana. Actually, I think how Ubisoft have done the characters is one of the best aspects of the game.

Herbstlicht
05-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Hmm, this discussion is rather funny.
Ingame, i dislike Peacekeeper running animations. Well, i dislike how she looks when people do constant guard change too, but i guess that is more due to her abnormal fighting posture. I mean she is one of the heros with the most unrealistic movesets in the game for me, so .. mah, don't like her at all. Compared to the graceful moves of Nobushi, Kensei and Orochi .. ah well. That it just my personal opinion.

When it comes to bodyshapes overall .. oh man, humans are soo diverse. Guys looking like gals, gals looking like guys slim, fat, muscular and all in between ...
And please don't try telling anyone you need to be extremely muscled to to this and that.
A lean, well trained body that did focus on explosiveness and stamina will be incredible dangerous with almost any weapon. As will someone who trained for maximun power and stamina. (You will always train your stamina, no matter what, otherwise you will never get into any advanced forms of training). Both might fight completely different though, even if using the same weapons. Not going to judge what might be better, though i do have my opinion here. But in the end, it is only about the fighter and his overall skills.

So, how does this game reflect this? I'd say rather well. Rather realistic. Could you think of other proportions that might allow those heros to fight effectively? Well, of course! Would everyone like it "different"? I don't think so.
It is kinda weird though, because it is a game. Someone posted a pic of a Naginata wielding warrior in a very japanesy style - very slender, not the most practical of armors, together with a rather vuloptous chest. It would not fit this game exactly, but one thing i did kinda like. The rather beautiful face. For Honor though is too brutal. We should not be smashing beautiful faces or worse, faces with childlike properties in a game with such a serious note. So we have our very warrioresque characters that live for smashing faces or getting theirs smashed.

A word on Shugoki. A female shugoki would be rather interesting, but for sure, not going to happen. Reason is simple. Fat guys? No problem. Fat women? Hell no. Careful, that is not my opinion, that is what i assume to be an attitute fabricated by the media, by men and women for decades. For a women, how beautiful she is, is still going to influence her success in a meaningful way. Where ever we see women in the media, we see a fabricated beauty. Well, sometimes a natural one too, but .. guess you get it.
So with Ubi creating a female Shugoki, that would be one bold step, surely to cause some controversy. I would like it, because I don't mind variety and diversity. But even then , i would have to admit that it could feel weird. Imagining a female Shugoki doing some of those executions on you .. bah, evil media, even I feel kinda brainwashed at times -.-

To sum it up: In my opinion, Ubi did a nice job. They created a mature fighting game for a mature audience and did stick to their line well. Could you dom it better? Well, possibly, maybe we see with For Honor 2.
Could you do it different? Well, of course! Throw some realism overboard, say goodbye to overboarding brutality and create a game for more age levels to enjoy. Overwatch did so very succesfully, even with body builder and a little chuvvy female in it. Guess future games might do so too. In the end, it is about the audience you want to reach. I am still amazed by how many people overwatch could reach - but well, i love it too, i love it's style and gameplay. So sometimes, realism, brutality and mature ratings are nothing a game needs to have to be succesful. Infact, the broader the audience, the possibly better experience for everyone. With millions of active players, vast amount of data and feedback, matchmaking and balancing are way easier then .. say with less :)
And those few that have problems with "women" in a game in general. Oh guys. You can't be helped.

Pope138
05-09-2017, 03:56 PM

I am done explaining

Have a nice day

I've read your explanations, I've seen your pictures. I still think Ubi's designs for female warriors are perfect.
I also don't think they look even close to the female bodybuilders (that use roids, HGH).
The female raider is the most muscular woman in the game and to me she looks like a tall powerlifter.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c2/09/91/c20991234f90a2e7f5c9af4bdde24861.jpg
http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/230085/i/CherylatAC_ezr.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wUQ38W-0CJ4/T4W9aU88UgI/AAAAAAAAABg/CstO19gQz-c/s1600/jessscoffield.jpg

Utopie.
05-09-2017, 03:56 PM

For honor blows warframe out of the water with diverse women you get to play and customize to your heart's content! You got the shorter, small-boned peacekeeper and orochi, the tall-and-lean nobushi **, the big, strong but nonetheless hourglass-y valkyr and conqueror and anything in between. (I love the valkyr's unapologetically muscular arms, and yes, there are definitely women out there who look like her. I think she is absolutely beautiful!)

** I got the height comparisons all wrong, see the post by SvKriegor on page 4!

I have to admit to not read through the whole thread. Nevertheless you comment is very on the point, thx for that. As a woman I am super happy and very thankful how Ubisoft went with the character design.

The only thing that annoys me is the strange running animation from the female Raider, Berserker and Conqueror. And i dont even know why they changed it in the first place?? I remeber in one of the alphas was it perfectly fine. Now it looks like it is not intentional broken and was never fixed.

Captain-Courage
05-09-2017, 04:20 PM
I see a lot of misinformation on numerous classes regarding gender locking, or at least maybe misknowledge on historical warrior figures.

Female Shugoki should never exist.
It would be as much disrecpectful for the japanese culture and mythology to create a female Shugoki than for the Scandinavian mythology and culture to have a male valkyrie.
Shugoki is inspired from the Oni. Oni are male exclusive yokai in the japanese folklore. So the class that represents them is male only.
The question of weight tolerance disparities towards males or females has no point here. At all. It has nothing to do at all with body posititivity, beauty standards, fat acceptance or whatever westerner problem here.
It's a cultural and historical matter. So please don't go on tha slippery slope it would only contribute to create issues where there are none.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Oni.jpg

Same thing about the Nobushi. A male nobushi would here again be disrespectful towards japanese historical figures and some of its koryus.
The Nobushi is directly inspired from the Onna Bugeisha (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-bugeisha). They had a fundamental role in japanese feudal society, and were the ones in charge of defending the fief when the local daimyo was in campagin (and it was not an easy task at all), and could also be found on the battlefield. Tomoe Gozen is the most famous example. The naginata has a strong symoblic meaning. It was, for the Onna Bugeisha, a symbol of their status, the same way the daisho is for the samurai. I personnally would be upset to see this trashed because fun, because "it's 2017", "genderlock is the evil incarnate" or whatever stupid argument.

Regarding physical models now, which is another matter than culture and history.
They are totally fit. Fit for the disciplines said warriors, male or female, are supposed to be trained into. Regarding the Valkyrie, her physic is totally fit for the task, along with her "body form" (meaning the way she stands, she moves, she strikes ...)
There are a lot of things to say about how they totally missed the mark with vikings in the game, but the physical shape of the warriors is not one of them. The only thing viking about them is that they live in a snowy region and have "google helmets". The rest is rubbish (bare naked with animal skins as a protection, horns, skull oranements ... all that crap ....)
They are fantasy Barbarians. But with a physical shape totally fit for the task.

CandleInTheDark
05-09-2017, 05:20 PM
I see a lot of misinformation on numerous classes regarding gender locking, or at least maybe misknowledge on historical warrior figures.

Female Shugoki should never exist.
It would be as much disrecpectful for the japanese culture and mythology to create a female Shugoki than for the Scandinavian mythology and culture to have a male valkyrie.
Shugoki is inspired from the Oni. Oni are male exclusive yokai in the japanese folklore. So the class that represents them is male only.
The question of weight tolerance disparities towards males or females has no point here. At all. It has nothing to do at all with body posititivity, beauty standards fat acceptance or whatever, or whatever westerner problem.
It's a cultural and historical matter. So please don't go on tha slippery slope and stop creating issues where there are none.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Oni.jpg

Same thing about the Nobushi. A male nobushi would here again be disrespectful towards japanese historical figures and some of its koryus.
The Nobushi is directly inspired from the Onna Bugeisha (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-bugeisha). They had a fundamental role in japanese feudal society, and were the ones in charge of defending the fief when the local daimyo was in campagin, and could also be found on the battlefield. Tomoe Gozen is the most famous example. The Naginata has strong symoblic meaning. It was, for the Onna Bugeisha, a symbol of their status, the same way the daisho is for the samurai. I personnally would be upset to see this trashed because fun, because "it's 2017", "genderlock is the evil incarnated"" or whatever stupid argument.

Regarding physical models, now, which is another matter than culture and history.
They are totally fit. Fit for the disciplines said warriors are supposed to be trained into. Regarding the Valkyrie, her physic is totally fit for the task, along with her "body form" (meaning the way she stands, she moves, she strikes ...)
There are a lot of things to say about how they totally missed the mark with vikings in the game, but the physical shape of the warriors is not one of them. The only thing viking about them is that they live in a snowy region and have "google helmets". The rest is rubbish (bare naked with animal skins as a protection, horns, skull oranements ... all that crap ....)
They are fantasy Barbarians. But with a physical shape totally fit for the task.

Exactly this, the knight gender locked characters I sort of think they were there to keep gender locked characters even, but with both of the samurai and vikings, you would need an entirely new name and an entirely new lore as well as the new skin to do something similar with the same moveset.

Oni-Nikuya
05-09-2017, 06:22 PM
To the original point, I agree that the female raider runs kinda awkwardly.

Dakaal
05-09-2017, 08:55 PM
I want close my main topic about the running animation with some Female Rider Video from Closed Alpha Dominion, unfortunately I didn't find any video with female berserker from Closed Alpha
Note: the running animation was way better then, i think because she had the same animation like the male version " and by the way the female Rider body looks just fine i dont have any problem with it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78CtSNGDWr0&t=82s this is Closed Alpha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w92yqUQyPA&t=4s this is the actual state of the game " I didn't find any female Rider Dominion to actually see a longer animation"

And for the Valkyrie Body, i just wish she could have been a little slimmer, she is my main and i like her but her bulkiness "in my eyes" make it hard to believe that she can move so fast and jump so further away

One more thing, I saw a post that said "I also don't think they look even close to the female bodybuilders (that use roids, HGH).
The female raider is the most muscular woman in the game and to me she looks like a tall powerlifter."

I bet you that if u put those power lifters run and jump like "Valkyrie dose" they will be very inefficient like I said in my previous post "Women can develop their skeletal muscles to increase strength too. You still need to stay within your ideal weight range to keep your strength proportionate with your size"

thank you for all the comments on the Thread

Have a nice day

Pope138
05-09-2017, 09:47 PM
One more thing, I saw a post that said "I also don't think they look even close to the female bodybuilders (that use roids, HGH).
The female raider is the most muscular woman in the game and to me she looks like a tall powerlifter."

I bet you that if u put those power lifters run and jump like "Valkyrie dose" they will be very inefficient like I said my previous post "Women can develop their skeletal muscles to increase strength too. You still need to stay within your ideal weight range to keep your strength proportionate with your size"

Have a nice day

I would take that bet.
Powerlifters don't just rely on strong muscles to lift heavy weight, they also train explosivity. I've seen powerlifters leap from a squat position (palms on the ground inbetween feet, knees at full bend) to the top of a 5 foot stack of boxes.
I just got in to powerlifting 2 years ago and am realizing just how bogus the stereotypes are. We're not all fat, immobile, gluttons with deviated septums.

But if you want to see a real life female raider/Valkyrie, just youtube female crossfit competitions. You'll find very muscular, very dexterous women running and jumping.

AkenoKobayashi
05-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Give the PK a fat *** that increases her hit box.

Stahlrusse
05-10-2017, 02:19 PM
There is this one game where women actually wear practical armor for fights that seems to do its purpose, and now people want sex dolls with fantasy armor.

Get out of here.

There is plenty of that stuff out there in the internet, just go there.

Pillow_Hands
05-11-2017, 12:04 AM
I know they are warriors but still, a female warrior still looks feminine...

Give me a well cited source that shows warrior women in history still being feminine while in battle.

kweassa1917
05-14-2017, 04:06 AM
I've paid extra attention to how the femRaider runs...

...and honestly I still don't find anything wrong with it.

That's basically what women look like when they run with a straight, upright posture.

bmason1000
05-14-2017, 04:23 AM
I've paid extra attention to how the femRaider runs...

...and honestly I still don't find anything wrong with it.

That's basically what women look like when they run with a straight, upright posture.
Yeah, I've been paying extra attention to the run animations as well. Berserkers also look totally normal. If you have a narrow waist, large upper body and are carrying something in both hands, that's exactly how you would run.