PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else worry about lack of a Communications role?

Captain_Summers
05-06-2017, 07:08 AM
I think there is some lack of appreciation, understand or feelings that such a vital role would be boring or pointless, but the inability to try and reach out to contacts and negotiate or warn or question or otherwise be diplomatic with npc's and ships really and critically hampers authenticity and limits the options open to the captain.

Comms with starfleet command I know are just appearing on the Captain's side panels, but the lack of trying to prevent conflict or even pull a Kirk and bluff your way out of a life or death situation limits gameplay to just shooting.

Also, communications could handle stealth or through signal processing / scrubbing gameplay pick out enemy communications - giving the captain intel mid mission, and with a kind of alien dialect / translator function that requires the comms officer to actually work at translating via gameplay, it could make the difference in a mission between thinking an alien is threatening you only to find they're saying how nice it is to meet you!

Failing a real comms officer role, is there any indication that this has been taken over by an ai/npc with which you have some limited ability to send commands to?

Hiyate20
05-06-2017, 02:20 PM
while I would normally agree with this, there is just not enough game play behind a communications officer. Not long ago I talked about the options for a medical officer station or even a transporter command in this game with my friends, and we all agreed that while they sound cool on paper, in actual game play it would be very boring and the stations activity's would just not be as interesting as the other stations. I'm all for adding additional stations to go beyond 4 player co-op, (such as 2 ships so that's 8 players, doing different things in separate sections and then eventually having to meet up to complete a task that one crew could not do alone)

Captain_Summers
05-06-2017, 03:53 PM
I think the suggestions / examples I gave in my initial post more then fulfil a full time communications officer role. And I'm sure there are even more useful ones. Comms would also be a good station for preparing NPC's for transport or rescue, queuing them up and passing the queue to Tactical, establishing ship to ship comms in order to hack shields / engines etc... plenty for a comms officer aside from 'Haliing Frequencies open Captain". that's just being shortsighted.

sven10077
05-08-2017, 12:58 AM
I do think it would have been nice to include a combined Comm/Damage Control role as it was portrayed in several episodes that Uhura acted at a minimum as dispatch.... possibly you could have had a mini-game where the Comm Officer could have unlocked further mini-missions with his/her game.

Anyway the game still looks intriguing and it may well be hard enough to find a group of 4 to mesh into a coherent unit let alone 5 to 7.

NestroGER
05-28-2017, 07:46 PM
There isn't even a science station. I bet it has something to do with matchmaking and development cost management. The more guys you need for a full human crew the longer everyone has to wait (just look how long you have to wait for a 6 man werewolves party). The game obviously has very constricted resources (noticed the awful music yet?), and developing interesting gameplay for each station is expensive.

So far my experience with PSVR games is, that almost every developer/publisher is most concerned about damage/cost control. I wonder how much profit there is in developing for VR right now. I personally haven't seen a single AAA quality game yet, and have returned to 2d gaming. Totally forgot how much fun gaming can be. Working a full time job I really don't like wasting my time with unpolished/shallow games. They can have my money, but I won't keep playing.

Captain_Summers
05-29-2017, 02:39 AM
I don't think you're wrong NestroGER.

I had higher hopes for this game than any other VR title. I want to believe that this is the single VR game that it's worth buying a PS4Pro and PSVR for. - or upgrading your PC and buying Vive/Rift.

However it's had virtually zero advertising. I've not seen any TV adverts (in the UK at least) and even the online blog / games sites aren't talking about it.

Very nervous, but despite how CBS and Paramount keep effing up the franchise and the 50th Anniversary, I still have a tiny glimmer of hope that this game will get the love, and more importantly the LONG TERM SUPPORT AND EXTENSION that it truly deserves.

I love Werewovles within but can rarely find a game. If this is even half as good as I imagine it could be, this should be THE game on any platform.