PDA

View Full Version : Hero's path, brilliant alternative to icon dump

Sushiglutton
05-03-2017, 05:48 PM
Zelda: Breath of the Wild is getting a pretty cool new feature called "Hero's path". See it in action in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JZndKtOwds

Explanation:

Hero's Path Mode
This new map feature shows the path Link has walked through Hyrule from the last 200 hours of gameplay. Use the time tracker bar to see where you've spent the most time and where you have yet to explore. There's bound to be more adventures and maybe a shrine or two on the road less traveled

Awesome stuff from good old Nintendo. When you hit the wall and don't know what to do next you can just check where you haven't been before and plot a new expedition into the unknwon. Far better than teasing with icon-candy to lure the player to distant corners of the map to get a fragment and check a box.

Aaah adventure!

cawatrooper9
05-03-2017, 09:11 PM
That's actually really cool!

I'd probably be horrified at being presented with hard evidence of the meandering that I do, but this still looks like a really neat feature!

SixKeys
05-04-2017, 12:25 AM
Didn't ACU's companion app have something similar? And Unity's map was still a clusterf*** of icons. Ubi seem to be terrified of letting players loose without icons to guide their path.

LoyalACFan
05-04-2017, 04:57 AM
Eh, it's a cool idea, but I feel like this would only work for massive maps, which I kind of want AC to start veering away from. I've tended to prefer traveling between multiple, somewhat smaller maps in this series.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2017, 04:55 PM
That's actually really cool!

I'd probably be horrified at being presented with hard evidence of the meandering that I do, but this still looks like a really neat feature!

Ha, good point, it could be depressing to found out you spent 40h wandering the desert!

Didn't ACU's companion app have something similar? And Unity's map was still a clusterf*** of icons. Ubi seem to be terrified of letting players loose without icons to guide their path.

If I recall correctly it had a heat map which showed a visualization of all players path on a mission by mission basis. Basically the same tool as Ubisoft's mission designers use to see where people go and where they die etc. But I don't think you could see your own path through the open world.

That said you are correct that icon-dump and hero's path are not really mutually exclusive. Nor do they to be honest serve the exact same purpose. Still I think hero's path would be a neat feature for sure!

Eh, it's a cool idea, but I feel like this would only work for massive maps, which I kind of want AC to start veering away from. I've tended to prefer traveling between multiple, somewhat smaller maps in this series.

But then the game would not be SEAMLESS :eek:! I can see what you mean though and it's a fair point. I predict Empire will have one big map though just as AC4 did, but this time no loading screens so it's completely ...

LoyalACFan
05-04-2017, 08:21 PM
But then the game would not be SEAMLESS :eek:! I can see what you mean though and it's a fair point. I predict Empire will have one big map though just as AC4 did, but this time no loading screens so it's completely ...

Honestly, I'm really excited to see how they've handled the map(s). If the rumors are true and they're going for a "Witcher feel," it'll probably be one big map, but not all within one city, which might suit me just as well as multiple maps would. It's not so much the ability to travel between maps that draws me, it's the sense of variety that comes from multiple cities, which just can't be replicated within one big metropolis (no matter how varied the districts are). The handy thing about using Ancient Egypt as a setting is that the cities were relatively small compared to what we've become accustomed to in AC, and all of the famous locations are really close to each other; you could conceivably fit Memphis, Karnak, Thebes, and even Alexandria in one game map with way less geographical smushing than they've done in the past (e.g. with the Frontier in AC3). If this is the case, and the map houses multiple cities and a lot of wilderness besides, I could see a feature like Hero's Path being cool.

Sushiglutton
05-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Honestly, I'm really excited to see how they've handled the map(s). If the rumors are true and they're going for a "Witcher feel," it'll probably be one big map, but not all within one city, which might suit me just as well as multiple maps would. It's not so much the ability to travel between maps that draws me, it's the sense of variety that comes from multiple cities, which just can't be replicated within one big metropolis (no matter how varied the districts are). The handy thing about using Ancient Egypt as a setting is that the cities were relatively small compared to what we've become accustomed to in AC, and all of the famous locations are really close to each other; you could conceivably fit Memphis, Karnak, Thebes, and even Alexandria in one game map with way less geographical smushing than they've done in the past (e.g. with the Frontier in AC3). If this is the case, and the map houses multiple cities and a lot of wilderness besides, I could see a feature like Hero's Path being cool.

I agree with the variety factor. Why I always prefer urban + rural. And yeah AC2's structure was a lot better than Brotherhood/Revelation etc.

I also think they will try to get it all into one map (with the Nile running through in the center). And perhaps use desert areas for bandit camps, caravans to assault and so on. And as an organic transition between vastly different areas of the map.

RVSage
05-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Love the idea, there are so many ways to expand this apart from least visited locations, you could also include only a pointer to a new kind of activity (WD2 does this well actually)

Overall something to inspire Ubi to implement in AC empire

D.I.D.
05-05-2017, 10:41 AM
That's great for BotW, but there's an obvious problem: height and depth.

At least in BotW, the high areas are fewer and you can easily see each one. In AC, this wouldn't work so well. There would be a real danger of your path serving to obscure the location of missing points of interest rather than highlighting them. I could see a lot of activity around a spot and decide not to search there, but my mission start or collectible might be in the north-west tower of the cathedral in the centre of the city: how would I know?

Not quite. It had a heat map, which served a different purpose. It made a gentle light spot for places of strong activity by many players, and where these overlapped you would see an especially intense glow. This warned you more about death: where many players died and therefore must have faced heavy opposition. To some extent, it could show the travelled paths (via switchable data views) but not in a very meaningful way. There would be a strong glow on the most travelled roads, and in theory you could look at the darker areas and go there instead but I doubt many players did.

Helforsite
05-07-2017, 08:44 AM
I would absolutely love that map!

On topic: As a perfectonist and almost OCD-like collector I would go crazy if we didnt have alp those icons and I had to visit websites all the time to collect everything. In-game maps are where its at in my opnion.

Locopells
05-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Sounds like an idea, as long as in-game maps are still an option (I'm with Helforsite on that one).

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!