PDA

View Full Version : I've read all FAQs, but have just a few ?s

FlyAce
01-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Fellow flyers,
I also fly B17 (Mighty 8th),European Air War,JetFighter4,and MS Combat Flight Sim.
IL2 definately looks great so far.I've gotten used to the learning process of these sims, and I usually take it slow.
If I could just ask a few questions about basic missions, it would be greatly appreciated.
-It seems the vectors that Ground control call out doesn't seem to match the waypoints.When GC calls out a heading and altitude, should I follow that heading, or navigate to waypoints myself?
-On the radio menu, I understand who the wingman is, but who are all the other names (examples:Zveno,Escadrilla, etc)? Are they other squadrons or members of my squadron?
-Why do I start in the air when I specify takeoff/landing in mission generator?
-I have a Geforce4 MMX440. I saw the recommended video settings (a link in FAQs)and the closest card to mine was a Geforce4 t4400(something like that).I'll try that one,but could tech support possibly have settings for my MMX440?
-I keep assigning "fire selected weapon" to
joystick button#1 (trigger) but it always goes back to button #4.Do I have to go into program editing to make the change?
Thanks a million. I'll be flying online once I'm familiar with everything.
Flyboy D.Oliver

FlyAce
01-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Fellow flyers,
I also fly B17 (Mighty 8th),European Air War,JetFighter4,and MS Combat Flight Sim.
IL2 definately looks great so far.I've gotten used to the learning process of these sims, and I usually take it slow.
If I could just ask a few questions about basic missions, it would be greatly appreciated.
-It seems the vectors that Ground control call out doesn't seem to match the waypoints.When GC calls out a heading and altitude, should I follow that heading, or navigate to waypoints myself?
-On the radio menu, I understand who the wingman is, but who are all the other names (examples:Zveno,Escadrilla, etc)? Are they other squadrons or members of my squadron?
-I have a Geforce4 MMX440. I saw the recommended video settings (a link in FAQs)and the closest card to mine was a Geforce4 t4400(something like that).I'll try that one,but could tech support possibly have settings for my MMX440?
joystick button#1 (trigger) but it always goes back to button #4.Do I have to go into program editing to make the change?
Thanks a million. I'll be flying online once I'm familiar with everything.
Flyboy D.Oliver

Zeus-cat
01-02-2004, 09:01 AM
You will get a lot of chatter on the radio. Some of it is for you and some of it is for other flights. As the AI never really identifies itself you don't always know who they are talking to. You can have fighters, bombers, divebombers, etc. all on the same frequency so you get all of the calls. If you are not number one in your flight just keep your leader in sight and follow him and ignore the radio.

Tab 1 gets your wingman on the radio.
Tab 2 gets flight 1 (zveno 1 in Russian, etc for the other languages.
Tab 3 gets flight 2
Tab 4 gets flight 3
Tab 5 gets flight 4
Tab 6 gets everyone
Please not that you have to be in a command position to control the above people. If you are number 1 or 3 in a flight you control 2 or 4 as your wingman. Keep in mind that if your are in flight 2 your numbers are 5, 6, 7 and 8. So if you are an odd number you control a wingman. If you are an even number you are a wingman to the odd guy.
You have to be the first guy in a flight 1, 5, 9 or 13 to control that flight.
You have to 1 in a flight of 1-16 to control all four flights.
You have to be 1 in flight 1 in squadron 1 to control everyone.

You always start in the air on Quick missions. To takeoff start a campaign or set up a mission in te full mission builder. Some excellent instructions on how to do that at mudmovers.com

Can't help you with the graphics card or the joystick settings.

If you go to mudmovers downloadsome of my missions.
Coop missions (can be flown as single player too)
Admiral Scheer
Bletchley Park
BoB
Bombing Stalingrad
He-111 Petrov
Kursk Salient

Single player missions
Comrade General
Bombing Practice

Zeus-cat

Airhead_777_AVG
01-02-2004, 09:10 AM
FlyAce,
I can answer some of your questions...

"-It seems the vectors that Ground control call out doesn't seem to match the waypoints. When GC calls out a heading and altitude, should I follow that heading, or navigate to waypoints myself?"

In game you hear all the other flights in that mission, so the heading and altitude can be for those flights and may not apply to you. If you are leading your flight, stick with the mission plan and follow the map and waypoints. If you are not leading, the flight leader will call out the appropriate info relative to your flight.

"On the radio menu, I understand who the wingman is, but who are all the other names (examples:Zveno,Escadrilla, etc)? Are they other squadrons or members of my squadron?"

Zveno--your immediate flight
Escadrilla--the entire group (flt 1 & 2, etc.)

If you are referring to the Quick Mission Builder, it has no option for takeoff and is air start only. Try the single missions, campaigns, or take a little time to learn Full Mission builder. It's worth it. Also, you can dl lots of missions and stuff at www.mudmovers.com (http://www.mudmovers.com)

Sorry, can't help you here. If someone doesn't answer in this forum, try the "technical" discussion group. Lots of good people there to help you out.

Be sure to assign the joystick buttons in the "controls" section of FB. Other than that, I'm not sure. Give us the details of your stick. A good USB joy usually works fine.

http://777AVG.com/sigs/sig03.gif

Cajun76
01-02-2004, 09:15 AM
First of all, welcome to the best dang WWII combat Flightsim on the market. Btw, do you have Il2: Sturmovik, or IL2: Forgotten Battles?

Stick with your flight if your not leading them. The guy calling out vectors, if your not leading, is your flight leader. Be aware, you'll get chatter from other freindly flights.

If you have two flights, Zveno 1 is the first flight, and Zveno 2 is the second, etc. This way, if your in command, you can direct 4 flights of four a/c to different things: ie, Zveno 1 and 2 attack bombers, Zveno 3 attack fighters.

If your using the Quick Mission Generator, you'll always start in the air.

What chipset is your card based on? I'm not so familiar with the Nvidia's. If your game is running fine, don't worry about it. Or find the mainstream equivelent and use those.

I don't know of a command like that in IL2. There is one similar to that in CFS2. If you're wanting to rotate through your availible weapons and fire it with your #1 trigger, I don't believe it's possible. Are you assigning buttons from a joystick setup program? Try using the in game control mapping, under "Controls".

If you want more specifics, please be more specific about your joystick/ HOTAS and such. Hope this helps, good luck and

Good hunting,
Cajun76

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

Meanwhile, in the 20th century:

BOOM! Yeah, Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my T-Bolt!! It's has 8 .50cals and 2000lbs+ worth of bombs and rockets. Republic's top of the line. You can find this in the Kick A$$ department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Farmingdale, Long Island and Evansville, Indiana. Retails for about $82,997.95. It's got a turbo-supercharger, all metal control surfaces with blunt nosed ailerons, and a hair trigger. That's right, shop smart, shop Republic. YOU GOT THAT!? Now I swear, the next one of you primates, E-ven TOUCHES me..... - Anonymous http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tully__
01-02-2004, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlyAce:

-It seems the vectors that Ground control call out doesn't seem to match the waypoints.When GC calls out a heading and altitude, should I follow that heading, or navigate to waypoints myself?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd recommend doing your own navigating except perhaps for "Vector to home base".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlyAce:
-Why do I start in the air when I specify takeoff/landing in mission generator?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
As someone indicated above, Quick Mission Builder always starts in the air regardless of settings. If you have "Takeoffs & Landings" turned on, you will have to land to succesfully complete the mission.

-I have a Geforce4 MMX440. I saw the recommended video settings (a link in FAQs)and the closest card to mine was a Geforce4 t4400(something like that).I'll try that one,but could tech support possibly have settings for my MMX440?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The GF4mx cards (400 & 440) are hotrodded GF2's. Start with the in game setup for GeForce2 cards or the mudmovers recommendations for GF3 cards, then experiment to get best results if performance is to poor.

joystick button#1 (trigger) but it always goes back to button #4.Do I have to go into program editing to make the change?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "Weapon" controls in the Control setup screen are the buttons the pilot uses to fire weapons. The "Fire" control under gunner controls is the fire button for the tail gunner in the IL2/Stuka or the various turret gunners in the He111. Unlike some other games, you don't select a weapon with one button then fire it with another in IL2. To fire weapons, weapon 1 is machine guns, weapon 2 is cannon, weapon 3 is rockets and weapon 4 is bombs/cluster weapons. The pilot pushes the corresponding assigned key to fire the weapons without first selecting them.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/Corsair.jpg (http://www.mudmovers.com/sturmovik_101/FAQ.htm)

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

FlyAce
01-03-2004, 01:09 PM
Wow,
What a helpful forum. I'm looking forward to mastering this sim and contributing to the IL2 community.
Thanks all.
FlyAce