PDA

View Full Version : Will ST VR have subtitles/captions? Please consider this.

CaptainInnes
05-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Hello there,

As a hearing impaired gamer who has an Oculus Rift CV1 and plays nearly every VR title out there, the state of support for gamers like us in VR is (currently) abysmal.

There's subtitles in nearly every 2D indie, AAA, or in-between, and I personally have not had a problem in being included in 2D gaming for almost two decades now. It's become an accepted fact that when you increase accessibility, much like subtitles in film or other media, you expand your audience. It's not just about compliance, it's about inclusion. And THAT -- that concept is utterly within the spirit of Star Trek.

I understand that some of your game design mechanics might preclude this; obviously you can't subtitle player voice interactions. And I don't expect you guys to. But you have a game script and you have pre-scripted voices all over. The voice of the ship computer. AI squadmates. CPU enemies and allies. Story dialogue. It's all over the place, and I would urge you to let us deaf gamers enjoy this amazing concept of a game without barriers. We could play singleplayer, and hell, we can even communicate with other D/HH VR gamers using hand gesture sign language (!!!!) on the bridge in multiplayer. I urge you to consider adding this trivial-to-implement support for us, which would make a world of difference. If not at release, at least in a subsequent patch.

Thanks,
-Cpt Innes

rinks3611
05-01-2017, 08:20 PM
I think that would be difficult as the game would have to recognise several dialects and display them on screen. With many people talking at once I think it would be difficult to do or keep track of. Having basic hotkey or menu commands would be a more likely scenario where the players could quickly use a radial menu to select simple commands and responses.

CaptainInnes
05-03-2017, 01:38 AM
the game would have to recognise several dialects and display them on screen.

Please re-read my post, I'm really NOT talking about this sort of thing, and you've dedicated a response *only* to the part that I said I didn't want (player voice recognition).

What I specifically addressed was SCRIPTED voices (dialogue, AI, etc) that are already pre-written and voice-acted, they just need to have a floating window to indicate the words being spoken. It has NOTHING to do with speech-to-text technology which is not good enough obviously.

NATIVE VR GAMES WITH SUBTITLE SUPPORT (AS EXAMPLES): The Lab, Batman Arkham VR, Farlands, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, etc, etc.

CaptainInnes
05-11-2017, 01:06 AM
Would be great to get some word from the team if this feature has a chance at all