PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain my weird thinking about the Assassin's Creed Series?

luangzxx
05-01-2017, 06:48 PM
I have played almost all Assassin's Creed games exept only few of them. I rarely do any review or post about any video games in my life, but I really need to give my opinion about the Assassin's Creed Series as there is one weired thing that I have never been able to understand.

The thing is that whenever I read reviews, opinions, or polls about Assassin's Creed games, people usually come up with the preferences that are opposite to mine.

For example, most people dislike AC:III while I think it's a really amazing game, if not the best.

People also think Black Flag is best in the series while I think it look cheap, animation and movment were ugly compared to lll.

Most people also love the naval gameplay so much, while I think it feels like gameplay from 2007-2009. I can enjoy boarding ships, but I can't really enjoy the ship battle before I can board them.

Most people complained about Unity's combat. Someone even say that the game is great but the combat ruins the whole game. Agian I think Unity's combat is one of the best in the gaming history, extremely realistic, every single hit and parry can feel weight, its not difficult as people say. I can still beat a large group of enemy easily by using just a sword, and I would say the combat gameplay was not very different from the past games (pary and kill), they only offer more realistic movement and animation and HP instead of instant kill.

Lastly, most people think Sysdicate is a refined version of Unity, while I think It's much downgraded from the rest. Animation is worst in the series. Combat is extremely cartoony. Sometime I think the developer made an ironic response to the feedback on Unity's too slow combat. Driving also feel worse than riding just a horse in AC:III. It feel ice-Skating. Unity feel like a game for 25-40 years old players, while Syndicate feel like just a game for 12-17 years old players and people say they prefer it over Unity. I cant undersatnd why.

However, I respect the majority. May be most of the players judge the game mainly on its story or something else while I focus too much on gameplay, combat, graphics, animation over the story, but it's because I think if we want good story over anything else why don't we just go watch movie.

I'm writting all this just to hope for someone to explain to me why I experience different things from majority. Did we even play the same game at all. I also want to recommend the developer to move toward realistic and adult path instead of the kid's path like in Syndicate for the next game.

Maybe no one read this but If you read I thank you so much cause it's quite a long post.

cawatrooper9
05-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Obviously this is all because you're a hipster.

Kidding. I mean, people just have opinions on stuff, I guess.
I think that, unfortunately, there's a lot of negative reviews of AC stuff. As someone who genuinely enjoys the series through its highs and lows, I tend to disregard reviews and experience the game for myself- because while I certainly see faults in the games, I've found the some areas of the gaming community to be just a little too mired in negativity, and I don't need someone to tell me what I should or shouldn't enjoy.

As far as Black Flag goes- it certainly lacks that grittyness in texture, much as I see ACII lacking the same that the first game had. I still enjoy Black Flag a lot, but I'd certainly not fault you for having an original opinion on it.

AnimusLover
05-01-2017, 09:18 PM
I like Assassin's Creed 3 and would gladly buy it for my Ps4 if the opportunity arrived. The hate it gets is ridiculous. The only issue is that it felt less like an Assassin's Creed game and more like an American Revolution game. The balance between history and lore was so well done up until that point that the story was kind of a disappointment.
Gameplay wise, I love all the Homestead and Frontier missions but it's so limited that you sense there is much it's holding back, and isn't really unleashed until Black Flag. It also has some of the best modern day puzzle solving of the series.

Unity's combat would have been fun if not for a few things. Firstly, I like how if you're doing a little too well enemies will just start shooting at you all at once, or if you were too far away for them to strike they'd start shooting. What I hate is that it's largely unfinished and unresponsive, and sadly I found I rarely died due to my own failures but because Arno, for whatever reason, just decided to put away his weapon or stop hitting. They never patched that. If they could make the combat more like the human enemies in Witcher 3 that would be cool.

Syndicate's carriage driving could have been better, I agree. A bit too 'easy breezy' for my liking and lacking heft.

Black_Widow9
05-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Hello and welcome to the Forums,

Maybe no one read this but If you read I thank you so much cause it's quite a long post.

You came to the right place!

I don't know if I can explain your "weird thinking" because I don't think it's weird. There's nothing wrong with having different opinions and experiences and it fosters healthy discussion. Everyone plays differently, there's a lot of grey. :)

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzn_s9XQIGGDPqMHEE6GjL4hHuZbAmX HxH_b_GGjq3rmDtn6S8

Sigma 1313
05-01-2017, 11:48 PM
Personally, one of the things I live the most about this series is that is changes so much. Pretty much every game feels different, but connected. It allows for a large variety of playstyles and opinions to form, all of which seem to be respected in this community, (at least more-so than communities like Halo). I agree that Syndicate felt downgraded, the combat, the graphics, at times the AI, and even the movement. I think that because each game tries so many new ways of doing things with the central pillars is why so many people have conflicting opinions on the games (though this is also a possible negative if Ubi wants to listen to fans, which ones do they listen to?)

luangzxx
05-02-2017, 04:14 AM
I think that because each game tries so many new ways of doing things with the central pillars is why so many people have conflicting opinions on the games (though this is also a possible negative if Ubi wants to listen to fans, which ones do they listen to?)

This is the exact reason why I need to give my opinion on this game. Developer listen to its fans a lot and Syndicate came out with big disappointment at least to me. So I hope they will listen to the minority as well.

LoyalACFan
05-02-2017, 02:55 PM
You're not that weird; just pop over to that other recent thread where a bunch of us ranked our favorite AC titles from best to worst. The responses were all over the freaking place. Unity and AC3 are typically among the most polarizing of the bunch. There are a lot of dedicated AC3 fans here that still cite it as the best (which is absurd to me, but hey-ho, opinions :p).

AnimusLover
05-02-2017, 04:24 PM
I can understand why someone could say AC3 was their favourite because it was innovative and the story was interesting. I don't understand how *anybody* could like Unity. We can argue back and forth about the story but even the gameplay is really quite terrible. Skill and levelling is halted by story progression rather than a player's own ability which means therr's no freedom and the side missions are a copy and paste job. It has a big world but is constantly telling you how to go about it.

luangzxx
05-02-2017, 07:15 PM
I don't understand how *anybody* could like Unity.

That's why I said I'm weird. For me, Unity is the best. Just walking around killing a random guy is still better than playing full campaign in Syndicate. I just like how realistic the movement is. I usually play with conflict HUD off cause I really hate HUD in all games especially the stupid ring over Jacob and Evie in Syndicate. Can't really understand the people who invented those rings. It made me feel like playing Warcraft or Starcraft. Now you see how weird I am.

crusader_prophet
05-02-2017, 07:46 PM
May be most of the players judge the game mainly on its story or something else while I focus too much on gameplay, combat, graphics, animation over the story, but it's because I think if we want good story over anything else why don't we just go watch movie.

I could relate to everything that you said until this point. This is just a cop-out statement and disrespect for people who want that from a piece of art. Story, characters and narrative form the soul of a piece of art, it is what brings a game, movie, book or painting to "life". For artists and creators, story is what drives their passion (i'm talking about genuine creators, not employees that go to work everyday to finish an assignment and come back home). I absolutely do not want to play anything that does not have a core narrative attached to it. Without a good story it is as if I'm staring at a piece of painting but don't appreciate it at any level. If I want something void of story or narrative, I'll go play soccer outside (heck even there I'll make stories based on my daily experience) or play solitaire or rocket league, but not Assassin's Creed. Why would I want to go grab a book to experience story? I do that already. I want to experience story via a different medium i.e. Assassin's Creed or other video games.

Now does the above mean that I want the games to continue the trend of combat and gameplay design that they currently have, No. To support my argument, Unity is actually an unfinished game in every aspect whether that is gameplay, mission designs, story, narrative, characters, mechanics, progression, co-op missions etc. Unity wasn't even a hard game (which in contrary many think it's a tough game) or a good game in terms of characters and story. The only things that I've felt as a challenge and enjoyed them in AC series are the final legendary ship battles in Rogue and Black Flag.

So just because one wants or enjoys good story, characters and narrative in a game, does not translate to the fact that they are ONLY looking for that. They want BOTH. A complete and good game is supposed to be able to deliver in both front - story and gameplay.

Helforsite
05-07-2017, 09:03 AM
I could relate to everything that you said until this point. This is just a cop-out statement and disrespect for people who want that from a piece of art. Story, characters and narrative form the soul of a piece of art, it is what brings a game, movie, book or painting to "life". For artists and creators, story is what drives their passion (i'm talking about genuine creators, not employees that go to work everyday to finish an assignment and come back home). I absolutely do not want to play anything that does not have a core narrative attached to it. Without a good story it is as if I'm staring at a piece of painting but don't appreciate it at any level. If I want something void of story or narrative, I'll go play soccer outside (heck even there I'll make stories based on my daily experience) or play solitaire or rocket league, but not Assassin's Creed. Why would I want to go grab a book to experience story? I do that already. I want to experience story via a different medium i.e. Assassin's Creed or other video games.

Now does the above mean that I want the games to continue the trend of combat and gameplay design that they currently have, No. To support my argument, Unity is actually an unfinished game in every aspect whether that is gameplay, mission designs, story, narrative, characters, mechanics, progression, co-op missions etc. Unity wasn't even a hard game (which in contrary many think it's a tough game) or a good game in terms of characters and story. The only things that I've felt as a challenge and enjoyed them in AC series are the final legendary ship battles in Rogue and Black Flag.

So just because one wants or enjoys good story, characters and narrative in a game, does not translate to the fact that they are ONLY looking for that. They want BOTH. A complete and good game is supposed to be able to deliver in both front - story and gameplay.

Nailed it. I think the difficulty with video games is not necessarily that you have to achieve an equal balance between story and gameplay, but rather that you have to have a good standard/starting point for both so that even if one side is vastly better, the other side is still strong enough not to detract from that. In other words: Very good gameplay paired with a bad story and you have no ambition to finish the game, but very good story and bad gameplay and the game will frustrate you too much to ever make it through the story.