PDA

View Full Version : Would having everyone in neutral stance help fix the defensive meta?

CandleInTheDark
04-30-2017, 04:45 PM
A good while ago, someone suggested this because of the block guard stance speed, I wasn't sold on that idea then and I am not one hundred percent for or against this one, I am just theorycrafting. To give a little background to my thoughts on this, I played a lot of Monster Hunter on the 3DS (if it is any indication, I finished g-rank on the fourth which is basically the extra set of levels for the deluxe version), the monsters all had a set number of attacks for in fighting regularly and when they went into rage mode and there were no indicators, no oh hell better move left, you had to learn what the monster was going to do by a set of tells, especially when you are a gunner main as I was meaning you have about a second more warning because of distance but half the armour, so you had to be observant, whether it was the seregios moving a certain way before flinging tail spikes at you, a rathian rising slightly before doing a poison tail attack, gravios letting out a puff of sleep gas or super hot smoke before unleashing a torrent of it under its body or a brachidios...that thing moved so fast it was all split second so good luck there but you get my point.

So my thought is that having everyone start in neutral stance means that you aren't looking at the arrow on their indicator, you are trying to read them by how they move their arms or body in preparation for an attack, there is a little less warning and being passive is a little less safe, it is why the assassins are better at opening up turtles, you have a split second less reaction time unless you have learned what each movement when they are setting a new angle to aim from means and are watching them closely. I try and do this as it is on the console because some of the attacks are ridiculously quick. Removing the indicators as they are in realistic mode on the story would do this as well but that is probably taking things a little too far.

The main problem I can see with this is it would take away from the Nobushi's Hidden Stance, in that case I think likely the only way to be fair to them is to have the indicator appear later than it normally would or make the attack out of it quicker but while I haven't played all of the characters I don't see many more mechanics problems there. I think if the devs were to go this route, they would need to first have console specific patches to bring the frame times per attack into line with the pc, but I do think I would encourage a different play style. Like I said, I am not all for or against this, just seeing what people think and if it is food for thought for the community reps and the devs. About 90% of the time I play assassins so people have to deal with not seeing my stance the whole time as it is.

Alustar.
04-30-2017, 06:24 PM
I personally feel they should remove the indicator altogether, to clarify, soul calibur has a system of high mid low attacks, coupled with vertical or horizontal, because of that you have several options of opening up your Opponents defense. But there was no indicator telling you how you needed to block or if a guard Break was coming. Not to mention the GB itself came with a 50/50 property the defender had to guess which GB was used to counter it.

Herbstlicht
04-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Hmm. You reached prestige 10. Gratulations! You now do have to play WITHOUT indicator. To help you learning, we recommend our special training mode where you can set up completely customizeable bots to teach you reactions to all movesets!

I mean i like the idea. But .. if you ever want new players .. you would need to help them. And me as well ...

UbiNoty
05-01-2017, 12:00 AM
Interesting thought candle :D I'm interested in how others would feel about this as well.

Netcode_err_404
05-01-2017, 12:04 AM
For what ? Some classes are awfull slow, like LB and shugoki.

That would not change nothing at all.

kweassa1917
05-01-2017, 01:34 AM
So my thought is that having everyone start in neutral stance means that you aren't looking at the arrow on their indicator, you are trying to read them by how they move their arms or body in preparation for an attack, there is a little less warning and being passive is a little less safe, it is why the assassins are better at opening up turtles, you have a split second less reaction time unless you have learned what each movement when they are setting a new angle to aim from means and are watching them closely. I try and do this as it is on the console because some of the attacks are ridiculously quick. Removing the indicators as they are in realistic mode on the story would do this as well but that is probably taking things a little too far.

The main problem I can see with this is it would take away from the Nobushi's Hidden Stance, in that case I think likely the only way to be fair to them is to have the indicator appear later than it normally would or make the attack out of it quicker but while I haven't played all of the characters I don't see many more mechanics problems there. I think if the devs were to go this route, they would need to first have console specific patches to bring the frame times per attack into line with the pc, but I do think I would encourage a different play style. Like I said, I am not all for or against this, just seeing what people think and if it is food for thought for the community reps and the devs. About 90% of the time I play assassins so people have to deal with not seeing my stance the whole time as it is.

It can work, but I think a simpler solution would be to:

1. normalize stance change speeds with Raider/Nobushi/Lawb levels as the standard
2. remove light attack combo breaks on block