PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Server Issues (War Clouds and others)

VFS-22_SPaRX
06-02-2004, 03:16 PM
I have seen a lot of posts in the last week or so about how lag on servers has increased even with the dedicated server patch. The reason for this is there are some bugs in the new dedicated server that are causing some big issues. Some of you may have missed Olegs comments on this, so here is what he said on the issue

"today should be released update for dedicated server v.1.22 that will make it 2.01.

We found about 20 minor bugs (that we really consider as bugs) with the help of users that sent us good detailed reports to beta address, that still not eleminated from the whole product.
You should wait for a patch that will fix them for about 3 weeks. My main programmer take vacation. He was so very tired... He was not in real vacation for several years. So he took two weeks."

These errors are why you are seeing some lag and pauses on the server right now. Once these bugs are addressed, you should see these issues go away. So basically, we all just need to hang in there till they fix these errors.

Some things i have noticed on War Clouds due to these errors.

1. FBD will lag at some points. When this happens, ground target destruction is not "announced" right away. Once FBD catches back up with the server, it credits the kills accordingly.

2. When FBD lags, those that are out on a deathkick ban will not have their ban removal updated till FBD catches back up with the console again. Sometimes FBD will lag for 10-15 minutes. Once they are in sync again, the players that need to be unbanned are removed off the list. I have considered Taking the Deathkick off till the bug fix comes out, but when i asked a handful of players on the Teamspeak server what they thought, they said " we can deal with it till the bug fix is released" If this becomes an issue, i may still consider removing the deathkick till the bug fix is released.

3. Join lag is something that has seemed to increase. This is also due to some of the errors kicking up in the console.

4. An increase in "cheating has been detected" kicks. This again is being caused by the errors. Players are lagging to the server when these errors kick up and therefore are getting caught in the maxlag kicks. I thought i might loosen these settings up a bit till the bug fix comes out, but then we would see an huge increase in lags and stutters. I really do not wish to make the gameplay on the server suffer. So those of you that are getting kicked for timeouts need to hang in there till they release the bug fix for the dedicated server.

I just wanted to address this in teh forums so that everyone is aware of what is happening. I considered going back to running the server in full windowed mode again, but honestly i think the dedicated server, even with the errors present ATM, runs better. So let's just hope Olegs team can get these errors addressed for us soon. (Please note that i am not complaining, errors are part of life in the coding world and i fully understand that).

S~
SPaRX

www.war-clouds.net (http://www.war-clouds.net)

VFS-22_SPaRX
06-02-2004, 03:16 PM
I have seen a lot of posts in the last week or so about how lag on servers has increased even with the dedicated server patch. The reason for this is there are some bugs in the new dedicated server that are causing some big issues. Some of you may have missed Olegs comments on this, so here is what he said on the issue

"today should be released update for dedicated server v.1.22 that will make it 2.01.

We found about 20 minor bugs (that we really consider as bugs) with the help of users that sent us good detailed reports to beta address, that still not eleminated from the whole product.
You should wait for a patch that will fix them for about 3 weeks. My main programmer take vacation. He was so very tired... He was not in real vacation for several years. So he took two weeks."

These errors are why you are seeing some lag and pauses on the server right now. Once these bugs are addressed, you should see these issues go away. So basically, we all just need to hang in there till they fix these errors.

Some things i have noticed on War Clouds due to these errors.

1. FBD will lag at some points. When this happens, ground target destruction is not "announced" right away. Once FBD catches back up with the server, it credits the kills accordingly.

2. When FBD lags, those that are out on a deathkick ban will not have their ban removal updated till FBD catches back up with the console again. Sometimes FBD will lag for 10-15 minutes. Once they are in sync again, the players that need to be unbanned are removed off the list. I have considered Taking the Deathkick off till the bug fix comes out, but when i asked a handful of players on the Teamspeak server what they thought, they said " we can deal with it till the bug fix is released" If this becomes an issue, i may still consider removing the deathkick till the bug fix is released.

3. Join lag is something that has seemed to increase. This is also due to some of the errors kicking up in the console.

4. An increase in "cheating has been detected" kicks. This again is being caused by the errors. Players are lagging to the server when these errors kick up and therefore are getting caught in the maxlag kicks. I thought i might loosen these settings up a bit till the bug fix comes out, but then we would see an huge increase in lags and stutters. I really do not wish to make the gameplay on the server suffer. So those of you that are getting kicked for timeouts need to hang in there till they release the bug fix for the dedicated server.

I just wanted to address this in teh forums so that everyone is aware of what is happening. I considered going back to running the server in full windowed mode again, but honestly i think the dedicated server, even with the errors present ATM, runs better. So let's just hope Olegs team can get these errors addressed for us soon. (Please note that i am not complaining, errors are part of life in the coding world and i fully understand that).

S~
SPaRX

www.war-clouds.net (http://www.war-clouds.net)

El Turo
06-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Out of curiosity, will this have any impact on the high-rate-of-roll warp/lag/spin issue that seems prevalent right now?

BTW, a hearty thanks once more for the Warclouds servers.. absolutely the most fun of any available gaming experience/settings.

Although, I do find the deathkick more of an annoyance than a benefit, to be honest (yes, I know this isn't what the thread was to be about) with the folks bobbing in and out of the server once they have two deaths as to avoid the ban... it's REALLY lagging the thing something fierce.

I'd agree with you that the removal of the deathkick would greatly improve things until the dedicated server patch-patch comes out.

Just this homers $0.02

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL
of worship
I thought,
reloading my rifle.

~V.

ElAurens
06-02-2004, 04:34 PM
It's not just the dedicated servers haveing trouble with lag. Every non ded server I have been on since the patch has been more laggy than before. Even those without skin DL. I just don't understand why a game like EVE can have 9000+ players online at the same time, but IL2/FB/AEP can't even hack 32?

http://www.blitzpigs.com/forum/images/avatars/Curtiss_logo.gif

BlitzPig_EL

VFS-22_SPaRX
06-02-2004, 04:45 PM
"high-rate-of-roll warp/lag/spin issue"

Well this is a new one. As i said in the other thread, i have gotten quite a few hours in the server the last 3/4 days and i have yet to see this. The only lag that i personally see is when the dedicated server spits out a bunch of errors. I have been on the six of many 190 pilots rolling like mad and have yet to see them lag. Its very hard for me to find these lag issues people seem to post to no end about when i personally do not see them. I was on the server for some 4 hours the other night, and i did not see enough lag to be concerned with it. You all have to remember that this is a "online" situation. Not one server host can address all the lag issues that can happen to a server. There are so many factors that we do not have control over. Here are some potential things that can cause players to lag:

1. You are playing in a server, then 40 people in your ISPs node decide to start watching a downloaded video. Or everyone one in your neighborhood decides to check their emails at the same time.

2. Backbone providers are over whelmed on a particular night.

3. Players that have systems that are not adequate to handle an online dogfight with 30 players on the server at one time.

4. Someone starts a DoS attack on a network.

Basically, this is how I handle complaints about lag. If more then 10 players are having the same problem, then it may very well be server related. But most of the time, i find that the problem resides with the Players side of the connection. War Clouds is sitting on a very strong 10mbit connection. The server is a P2.8 HT cpu with 1 gig of ram. The cpu usage never goes over 10% and the Bandwidth usasge never goes over 600kbps while running just one server. So honestly i find it hard to believe that the server is the issue. The internet is like the weather, you can guess what it will do, but it will do as it wants.

I have stated this many time in many other threads. I feel there is a Minimum system requirement to play on a server that has more then 20 players. This list of items is not assumptions. I have worked with many people that were having sever lag issues and resolved it for almost all of them. As i said, i feel this list is "required" if you wish to play on a server with more then 20 players with "minimal" lag ( since no one can ever promise NO lag).

1. Cpu - 1.8ghz or better
2. Memory - 768megs min (1 gig recommended). You can get away with 768megs if before you join a server, you end all processes on your PC that are not needed to play the sim. IE: MSN, AIM, Open IE windows that have animated objects, Anti-Virus programs, system monitors and so on.
3. Video card with 64megs of ram ( 128 HIGHLY recommended)

Those three things will cause you to lag more then anything. Yes i know were are not all made of money and cannot afford high dollar rigs. But, if you do not have the required minimus, then you have to expect some lag in your online experience. I personally have a Barton 2800+, 1 gig of ram, and 9800pro 128meg video card. And i have yet to see lags in any amount that would make me thing that there is a problem with the server.

H_Butcher,

If you search the forums, you will see that I posted two separate Polls to vote whether to keep teh Deathkick or remove it. Both times, Keeping the deathkick won out by a LARGE margin. I am sorry you do not like it much, but its your decision to play on the server or not. And as i stated before, i have not noticed that much lag from people joining and leaving the server. Infact i do not see join/quits happening all that often anymore. Players are really making sure their pilot does not die. People hopping out at 2 deaths to reset their deathkick is going to happen. I personally thinks it silly, i mean, you are only out for 5 minutes. I take my deathkicks like a man. If i have gotten to the point where i am going to get kicked for my deaths, i feel i deserve a 5 min break. Maybe i need to reflect on the past to see why i am where i am now http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

S!

SPaRX

crazyivan1970
06-02-2004, 04:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElAurens:
It's not just the dedicated servers haveing trouble with lag. Every non ded server I have been on since the patch has been more laggy than before. Even those without skin DL. I just don't understand why a game like EVE can have 9000+ players online at the same time, but IL2/FB/AEP can't even hack 32?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That`s because this community is conserned with hackers and i believe that all new anticheat features are causing all this.

BTW SPaRX - FBD creates lag no matter what, because it`s constantly pulling info from the client. Untill all that is on the server side, lag and stutter will be present. But to do so, Oleg has to provide enough variables in the log of the server.

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

VFS-22_SPaRX
06-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Ivan,

Everything has a price. If you want to have the added features of FBD, there is a small price for it http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

S!

SPaRX

crazyivan1970
06-02-2004, 04:56 PM
By all means i am not slamming FBD and i salute to its creators... i just hope that one day all of that will be on server side, avoiding client, that`s all http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-ivan.jpg

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/vfc/home.htm

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

El Turo
06-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Sparx,

I'm very much PRO deathkick, I was just sounding off of what you mentioned about things that might be causing lag. Recently, whenever I've been in the Warclouds arena I see about 10-15 people with zero points and 2-3 with a couple hundred points and that's in large part due to the 2-death log-out-log-in dance that people are doing to avoid even the menial 5 minute ban. I'm not making it up, promise!

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL
of worship
I thought,
reloading my rifle.

~V.

Slammin_
06-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Even before the patch, I remember watching the FBDaemon window do its queue up thingy where it seems to get really backlogged and then suddenly spew out **** for 5 minutes or so, and while it is doing that, everyone on the server is yelling "wtf is going on?!".

Dunno if there are new contributing factors to this behavior, or even if fbdaemon or the sim is the culprit, and my link to the net could very well be the main factor. One thing I have noticed though is that after the patch, AEP definitely does consume more memory. Even as a client, some maps I have were making my machine use more than the gig of physical memory I have. I have since adjusted those maps to require less client memory, but I can say with certainty that post-patch uses a lot more memory on the client machines compared to pre-patch.

Memory leak in the new patch? Who knows, but hopefully if there is an issue, it will be addressed.

Also, for reference, I think I must add that the queue effect with fbdaemon was greatly reduced with fbdaemon2. I only add this fact for troubleshooting purposes. Really strange that anything could get so backed up when CPU and memory utilization on the server are so low, but I do know that it happens ONLY when the server is full, and sooner if I attempt to host too many, which points to my net connection. I've found that I can host 21-23 clients without having fbdaemon get 'backed up', at least before the patch. I don't know if this is still the case post-patch though.

And though this may appear to be a server connection issue from the above illustration, be aware that because of all the data flying about, I really do think, and have experienced, a single client (modem?) drag the server down, as I've sure anyone else that hosts have.

I guess we are all trying to nail down and then tweak things as best as possible. Neverending battle!