PDA

View Full Version : Me109 engine poops out?

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Hi all, just got FB after trying the IL2 demo. Love it. However, when I fly the ME109 (which I also love... most of the time), the engine seems to poop out after several minutes (5, 10, 15?). It runs fine for a while, the radior is OPEN mind you, and I'm not even using the boost. Throttle is below 100%, Mixture and Pitch are on auto, but still, after flying hard for a few minutes, it sounds like a coffee grinder. Eventually, it no longer supplies enough power to keep me airborne.

What gives? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob.

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Hi all, just got FB after trying the IL2 demo. Love it. However, when I fly the ME109 (which I also love... most of the time), the engine seems to poop out after several minutes (5, 10, 15?). It runs fine for a while, the radior is OPEN mind you, and I'm not even using the boost. Throttle is below 100%, Mixture and Pitch are on auto, but still, after flying hard for a few minutes, it sounds like a coffee grinder. Eventually, it no longer supplies enough power to keep me airborne.

What gives? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob.

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Similar to whats happening with me in the Engine quits post. Frustrating to stay the least!

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 07:36 PM
I know you said prop pitch was on auto, but if I were you I would recheck it, this sounds like a prop pitch problem. Also try checking your RPM gauge, make sure it is around or below 2500 rpms. Next check your fuel gauge, it may sound simple but this could also be the problem. Then again this could be due to a bullet in the engine, had you been in combat? Sometimes you don't smoke even though your engine is kaput. Again, I know you said mixture was on auto, but with the prop pitch, recheck it. If the mixture is at 0% then your engine will quit. If you STILL find nothing wrong after checking all of this then you have a problem on your hands, I've never had this happen so I can't help you out, sorry!

Hope you get this worked out.

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 09:45 PM
J18_Arc and I have experienced the same problem with a wide variety of prop planes - flying along in multiplayer when all of a sudden the engine just dies.

Sometimes too one of us (usually the client, not the server) is flying through molasses for the entire mission - we can barely hit 300 kmh at full throttle with WEP.

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 09:51 PM
CHECK MIXTURE!!

I've had this problem. . . . you are flying along, gaining alt, when at 3k meters, brown stuff come streaming out of your exhaust and your engine, as you so eloquently put it, 'poops out.' even when corrected if does not run at full speed.

so, pout auto mixture on or learn about using it manually.

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Is that prop on auto-pitch?

IIRC, IL2 (and the demo?) prop was NOT auto pitch by default.

In FB, the 109 prop is on auto-pitch by default.

In both cases, you can toggle auto pitch with [shift]0

Try the 109 without changing auto-pitch-mode, and see the effect then.

<div align="center">

http://www.robert-stuart.me.uk/il2/signature/paint_sig_003.jpg

I've given up correcting my own spelling
Unless I've corrected it here <MAP NAME="paint_sig_003"><AREA SHAPE="rect" COORDS="0,159,199,199" HREF="http://www.il2airracing.com" TARGET="_blank" alt="Air Racing" title="Air Racing"><AREA SHAPE="rect" COORDS="0,0,199,159" HREF="http://www.robert-stuart.me.uk/" title="Painter's home page" alt="Painter's home page"><AREA SHAPE="rect" COORDS="199,0,399,199" HREF="http://www.robert-stuart.me.uk/il2/index.html" TARGET="_blank" alt="Painter's IL2 Pages" title="Painter's IL2 Pages">
</MAP></div>

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 12:09 AM
Prop and fuel were on auto, and I don't think you can change the pitch on the 109. I tried different fuel mixtures, from 0 up to 120 with no change. Well, maybe a little improvement between 20 and 100. Had a half tank of fuel left, and I was not in a fight, in fact, I was alone in a quicky to test things out.

And it doesn't stop, it slows... gradually... The RPM guage shudders and watching it shows that it drops continually over time; down to ~1500 at 110% throttle and MW50!. Like i said, it sounds like it's grinding coffee. Sort of a whining sound combined with a rough stuttering sound.

Did I miss anything? I don't think ... oh yeah, and no brown smoke out the exhaust. Where do I learn about mixtures? I found and article once by I forgot where. Sorry, I don't think anything you guys mentioned sounded familiar. Lemme' start at higher altitude and see how long the engine holds out. I think one time it did actually stop. I'll post back.

Thanks for the help.

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 12:18 AM
I think I know what your problem is. With a plane equiped with the MW50 WEP you must pull the throttle back to idle, 0%, and THEN engage the WEP and throttle back up. If you don't follow this you can seriously damage your engine. Also you must bring it back to idle to disengage it. Hope this is the problem!

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 12:21 AM
Well, which 109 are you talking about?

I've found that all the Emil versions will develope engine problems if you run them over 90% for more than several seconds (making 110% out of the question). Then for the later versions of the 109 with MW 50, you can damage the engine if you turn it on at a certain point. At which point I don't recall exactly, but I'm sure one of the people posting in this thread would know. I havn't had any other problems with 109's produced in the mid war period.

In general all german engines are a little odd (example: max power is 104% not 110%) you just have to get used to them. Hope this helped.

S!

<center>http://mysite.freeserve.com/flying_moose/images/2-picture3.jpg?0.488377430005666 </center>

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 01:13 AM
Wow, that explains it; I always kick in MW50 at 110% power to give me an extra boost quick. By the time I throttle down and back up, I'll probably slow down 50 km/h /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Oh well, I probably won't be able to use it, since my throttle jumps/vibrates slightly all the time, and I'll be lucky to catch it at 0. Oh well, it'll be easier without this.

Thanks, I'll have to try this.

Rob

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 01:31 AM
If you're flying the 109E model, then you must constantly adjust prop pitch to limit the RPM to below 2500. This is because the E model does not have a constant speed propeller but instead has a variable pitch propeller. All other 109's have constant speed props and therefore shouldn't have this problem.

http://www.animatedgif.net/funny/chickenexplode_e0.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 01:35 AM
My throttle sometimes does the same thing so I just throw it back as far as it will go, wait a second, and then engage it and throttle up. Don't overlook the usefulness of the MW50, it helps a LOT!

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 01:45 AM
1) cut throttle before ENGAGING the MW50

2) cut throttle before DISENGAGING the MW50

then a happy DB your engine will be

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 05:53 PM
I agree, it helps alot, but I now mainly use it for extended climbs and such, no more quick boost every time I point my nose up. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif I liked doing that too...

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 07:11 PM
In 109's with MW50 you may as well engage the MW50 before you even start your engine. Just engage it ready, start up the engine and takeoff as normal.

MW50 doesn't engage unless you are beyond 100% Power anyway. On climbout set radiators to a tight setting like 2 and climb until overheat. Throttle back below 100% and open the radiator to stage 4. Cool down and back to full power - Up and Away!

Leave the MW50 on the whole time. Do Not disengage and re-engage (as stated above) unless you are at low (preferably idle) throttle.

WRT the Bf109 E series. In FB at the moment you have to put up with Manual Prop pitch wgich is not really accurate for the E-4. Most E-3's IIRC were fitted with auto-pitch systems by the time hostilities began on the Eastern Front in '41. Anyway, this is changed in the patch...

For the Emil you can fly at 100% or even 110% power with 100% Prop Pitch (PP) but only at low speed - Like takeoff. Try to keep your RPM between 2400-2700 in Combat and never exceed 3000 RPM for more than a second or two. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

You could try this:
In combat when at combat speed (350-450 Kph) set PP to 60%
Control RPM with the throttle. Be careful in a dive! Reduce throttle as you dive and maintain steady RPM, when you are climbing again steadily increase throttle. If you need extra power (first ask why you bled your energy away /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ) then increase PP a little - but do not overrev!

Hope this helps.

JG5_UnKle

"Know and use all the capabilities of your airplane. If you don't sooner or later, somebody who does, will kick your ***"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/victoria.stevens/jg5_logo.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 10:24 PM
That's a really good tip, thanks. I liked the way the 109 performs on manual PP, I just don't use it because it's too much fiddling for combat. Your tip might make me ues it more often.

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 11:40 PM
I have found that for a Bf109E I use propellor pitch much as the gears in a manual car! Still, when the poatch comes out next week that will cease.

What you wuill notice is that in level flight on any aircraft with manual props chnaging to 60%, 30% and then 0% pitch will boost your level speed

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 11:51 PM
What about climbing? Or is that too much for such low pitch?

XyZspineZyX
07-30-2003, 11:54 PM
Climbing especially after take off is best done at 90% pitch. When entering it from the level again treat it as a manual shift car. Move 0 - 30 -60 -90 depending on engine speed. When the engine starts to labour, change it.

XyZspineZyX
07-31-2003, 12:58 AM
I'm gonna have to hotkey these four settings, because toggling through at 5% increments is really annoying./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif