PDA

View Full Version : Possible Plot... Hole?

joshoolhorst
04-24-2017, 08:23 PM
So I was walking outside and suddenly The Last Descendants came up in my mind a book I really love like you guys know:)
So in the book the main Modern Day characters can read there ancestors mind like Javier got to know Cudgel Cormac's training when he was younger (such a ****ty name to be honest).
In the games this is kinda... Present with them knowing how theeir ancestors are because they relive their memories but never really mention their thoughts like the books do which I can understand why.
But I was wondering... So if they can do that wouldn't Desmond be able to do so to with Haytham.
He acts so surprised that Haytham is a Templar at that moment wouldn't he be able to know that? But I talk about AC3 Modern Day storyline where Desmond suddenly gives zero ****s about Lucy even though they he obvious had some interest in her... And when you leave the Animus William and Desmond started talking about hitting each other before the scene happened so.

cawatrooper9
04-24-2017, 08:38 PM
Haytham is kind of a special case. Desmond spends pretty little time with him, so I don't know if that'd be enough time for Desmond to really get too deep in to figure out Haytham was a Templar.

Also, Juno was involved with "showing" Desmond Haytham's story. So, I imagine she could deliberately withhold information for a time, if she wanted.

LoyalACFan
04-26-2017, 05:06 AM
Haytham is kind of a special case. Desmond spends pretty little time with him, so I don't know if that'd be enough time for Desmond to really get too deep in to figure out Haytham was a Templar.

Also, Juno was involved with "showing" Desmond Haytham's story. So, I imagine she could deliberately withhold information for a time, if she wanted.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Desmond was only in Haytham's memories for like a day or two. Desmond didn't start reliving Altair/Ezio's memories via the Bleeding Effect until after he spent several weeks with each of them.

Farlander1991
04-26-2017, 06:56 AM
Eh, it's not like Haytham would think 'I'm a Templar' every five minutes, and in the game even in dialogues the order is mentioned many times we just don't realize which order that is because we assume it's Assassins. Same thing could be regarding the thoughts, that if Haytham thinks about the order, that it's not specific what he thinks about.

D.I.D.
04-26-2017, 10:40 AM
I haven't read it, but presumably "can" is being stressed rather than "inevitably will". If this was really a fact of life for all those characters, it'd be a big thing in the series. I expect they just wanted to open up an interesting possibility for certain cases.

cawatrooper9
04-26-2017, 02:43 PM
Eh, it's not like Haytham would think 'I'm a Templar' every five minutes, and in the game even in dialogues the order is mentioned many times we just don't realize which order that is because we assume it's Assassins. Same thing could be regarding the thoughts, that if Haytham thinks about the order, that it's not specific what he thinks about.

True- and I think Haytham had pretty strong conviction in the Order, particularly at that time.
He also wouldn't be constantly be thinking "Oh man, too bad I betrayed the Assassins, my bad."

If Desmond could read Haytham's mind, he probably saw little more than a very focused, determined individual.

ERICATHERINE
04-26-2017, 03:51 PM
"Oh man, too bad I betrayed the Assassins, my bad."

In fact, from what we learn in the forsaken novel, it wasn't that much that Haytam betrayed the Assassins. He was actually manipulated by Reginald Birch into joining the Templars, before he actually joined the Assassins. When he learned that Edward was an Assassin, he decided to stay with the Templars, because, like Otso Berg said in an audio file of rogue, he estimated himself as already on the right track. ^-^