PDA

View Full Version : Not sure whether this is the right forum, so I apologize, but...

ziggurcat
04-24-2017, 09:54 AM
Is there any particular reason why AC: Black Flag is still $40 on the digital PS store? Isn't it going for $20 or less if you buy the physical disc?

cawatrooper9
04-24-2017, 04:25 PM
Digital games often run more expensive than their physical counterparts.

There's an interesting article (with a Ubisoft focus, even) here (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisoft-explains-why-digital-games-stay-more-expen/1100-6428760/).

SixKeys
04-24-2017, 11:17 PM
Digital games often run more expensive than their physical counterparts.

There's an interesting article (with a Ubisoft focus, even) here (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisoft-explains-why-digital-games-stay-more-expen/1100-6428760/).

Am I the only one who thinks they didn't actually answer the question? They just danced around saying "well, right now we're still looking at trends, and it's a new business model, and we may or may not do more discounts in the future, and actually if you look at our pricing we're being more aggressive". The stock argument is the only one that comes close to addressing the question.

ziggurcat
04-25-2017, 02:06 AM
Well, I would understand if it's a game that released 6-12 months ago, but this one is getting on to be 4 years old, now. There's no reason for it to be that price at this point in time, especially when it's listed on the Xbox store (in Canada) at $29.99.

cawatrooper9
04-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Meh, I get it. It's a pain, but you're also paying for the convenience of having a game almost instantaneously without having to leave your house.

That's why a la carte food tends to be so much more expensive at gas stations than supermarkets. It's a convenience fee.

As for the price itself still being 40.00- yeah, I'd agree that's pretty steep.

ziggurcat
04-26-2017, 03:36 AM
Well, my argument is more that it should be the same as the current retail price of the physical version. And it definitely shouldn't be different/more than the Xbox online store.

cawatrooper9
04-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Well, my argument is more that it should be the same as the current retail price of the physical version. And it definitely shouldn't be different/more than the Xbox online store.

Totally agreed on the italicized section (emphasis mine).

I do know that some aspects on the online store are determined by Sony and Microsoft rather than the studios themselves, but I can't say for sure that's the case here.

crusader_prophet
05-01-2017, 06:10 PM
As for the price itself still being 40.00- yeah, I'd agree that's pretty steep.
Specially considering it doesn't get any regular content update like GTA V does. The latter can justify the high price tag based on that. For black flag it seems to me that UbiSoft is milking on its popularity because the ones that came after can't match up to it.