PDA

View Full Version : Console - performance, advantages, "normalization".

Herbstlicht
04-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Maybe people already know me for complaining about console issues, but here I am again - sorry, but I only do so because I love the game and want it to improve :-)

So, we all know those stuff like input-lag, display-lag, lower frame rate etc. make for a different, and in a few cases potentially even better gameplay then on pc (where it seems turtling only > all).

The reason I do bring this up once again, is the following: i replaced my old TV with a rather new 2017 model with very low latency. Honestly, i can't tell if it is faster then my (semi-old) PC-screen with 5ms reaction time. Furthermore, i use this Razer whatever-its-called-controller with those extra paddles for way easier guardbreaks for making sure i don't break my fingers with some weird grips to react in time. And hell did it get easier to react to things! While Peacekeepers still give me trouble, everything else seems "fine". Where i needed to anticipate Valkyries before and watch their moves, i can now wait for the indicators. That's kinda relaxing. No more practice without UI.

But .. uhm - yeah, what about like the students that got an old TV-Set from their parents? Damned to loose? Whats with those that bought their set like two years ago and don't want to buy a new one just because some game didn't factor in the input lag?

So honestly. Why don't you give the option to adjust indicators by xx ms so everyone can set it to something that works best for him/her?

And when you do this, try to adjust the console version. I mean: we can't see quick attack indicators (or can we) in a way we can parry then. So either remove parrying quick attacks entirely, or add a frame (or two) for visibility.

What remains to do is .. well, i don't know. When there remains stuff that can't be reacted to, it might not even be broken but just another opener that could be balanced. If it really isn't, and even if it would stay a console only problem still - fix it anyway, please. Because we are no lower class people, we just chose a different platform to play on due to various reasons. And we would really like to be heard.

And if you, fellow console players are with me - i would love this to be discussed up to the next livestream and at some point commented - constructively - by a rep. So i would be very happy if we keep some discussion about these things rolling.

CandleInTheDark
04-23-2017, 01:51 PM
I asked one of the reps about this, he said as long as people are bringing the difference between pc and console up, it will be passed on to the devs. They are aware of the issues but right now there is a lot on their plate that ranks higher.

DrExtrem
04-23-2017, 09:20 PM
I had a great meal today and two half bottles of bordeaux to enjoy ...

... now, after additionally readjusting my console setup, the game is half enjoyable. Btw .. I do have an elite controller for my xbox.

The problem is, that I might want to enjoy hifi sound on my sound system and drinking Bordeaux can become very costly and not only for my liver.

Thing is. Not everybody can effort new TV screens, elite controllers or bottles of wine.

The console versions need custom adjustments - period.

Lumina-US
04-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Maybe people already know me for complaining about console issues, but here I am again - sorry, but I only do so because I love the game and want it to improve :-)

So, we all know those stuff like input-lag, display-lag, lower frame rate etc. make for a different, and in a few cases potentially even better gameplay then on pc (where it seems turtling only > all).

The reason I do bring this up once again, is the following: i replaced my old TV with a rather new 2017 model with very low latency. Honestly, i can't tell if it is faster then my (semi-old) PC-screen with 5ms reaction time. Furthermore, i use this Razer whatever-its-called-controller with those extra paddles for way easier guardbreaks for making sure i don't break my fingers with some weird grips to react in time. And hell did it get easier to react to things! While Peacekeepers still give me trouble, everything else seems "fine". Where i needed to anticipate Valkyries before and watch their moves, i can now wait for the indicators. That's kinda relaxing. No more practice without UI.

But .. uhm - yeah, what about like the students that got an old TV-Set from their parents? Damned to loose? Whats with those that bought their set like two years ago and don't want to buy a new one just because some game didn't factor in the input lag?

So honestly. Why don't you give the option to adjust indicators by xx ms so everyone can set it to something that works best for him/her?

And when you do this, try to adjust the console version. I mean: we can't see quick attack indicators (or can we) in a way we can parry then. So either remove parrying quick attacks entirely, or add a frame (or two) for visibility.

What remains to do is .. well, i don't know. When there remains stuff that can't be reacted to, it might not even be broken but just another opener that could be balanced. If it really isn't, and even if it would stay a console only problem still - fix it anyway, please. Because we are no lower class people, we just chose a different platform to play on due to various reasons. And we would really like to be heard.

And if you, fellow console players are with me - i would love this to be discussed up to the next livestream and at some point commented - constructively - by a rep. So i would be very happy if we keep some discussion about these things rolling.By all gods i know, you sound like a guy who has never touched a gaming console in your entire lifetime - otherwise you would know that consoles, even in almost mid 2017, are not highly customizeable.

All you can do there is adjust the way the HUD get's displayed, turn the sub-titles on/off or adjust the Gamma level at best.

Hell, you can't even change the pre-set modificators outside of a custom match and you ask for stuff like what you wrote down... on consoles? - lol!

DrExtrem
04-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Its about customizing the game to fit to the console - not the other way around.

Btw. I guess its ubisofts humor to put level three bots on a match with heroes, that have a gs of 5 ... That ****ing lb-bot went out with 16-0 kills. That gut just **** on my whole team ... that was fun.

Hormly
04-23-2017, 11:34 PM
guys... just play games on PC, seriously. the framerates are so smooth

Lumina-US
04-23-2017, 11:46 PM
guys... just play games on PC, seriously. the framerates are so smoothNo thanks, i like my MacBook way better without Wincrap 10 on it. Plus, PC does not have Until Dawn or The Last of us or DoAX3, as well as many FF's or several other J-RPG's.

Graphics and framerates, don't mean sh1te, when many great games are missing in return.

DrExtrem
04-23-2017, 11:54 PM
guys... just play games on PC, seriously. the framerates are so smooth

Thanks but no thanks catweazle.

I played on pc for over 25 years and I am done with the constant driver problems, incompatibleness and cheaters.

How about the devs do the job we payed them for and deliver a product, that is working as intended?

Hormly
04-23-2017, 11:58 PM
No thanks, i like my MacBook way better without Wincrap 10 on it. Plus, PC does not have Until Dawn or The Last of us or DoAX3, as well as many FF's or several other J-RPG's.

Graphics and framerates, don't mean sh1te, when many great games are missing in return.

i knew that would trigger the masses. sigh, some day you guys will give up the nonsense and join the master race ^^

i mean, you're bashing the PC, in a thread about how crappy the game runs on your console, whilst us PC players enjoy butter smooth framerates. *shrug*

UbiJurassic
04-24-2017, 12:02 AM
Thanks for bringing this up, Herbstlicht. We've definitely seen a lot of talk asking for consoles to get separate adjustments from PC due to the differences in hardware. While we don't have any information to share regarding it, we welcome the feedback and will forward it to the team for them to consider.

No thanks, i like my MacBook way better without Wincrap 10 on it. Plus, PC does not have Until Dawn or The Last of us or DoAX3, as well as many FF's or several other J-RPG's.

Currently making my way through Until Dawn right now. Although thoroughly confused, I am also greatly enjoying it.

Moondyne_MC
04-24-2017, 01:02 AM
Good thread, need some more flushing out with hard data regarding frame differences between console and PC. It has been shown that light attacks on PC amongst all characters have a very similar speed and can be parried successfully, and when you watch videos of PC gameplay it does appear like there's ample reaction timing for the amount of time the indicator is visible.

However this does seem to be an entirely different case on console. Valk, PK and occasionally Berserker lights all have the potential to be visible for less time than will allow for a block (I.e the attack indicator only showing halfway through the move), which is a huge advantage in a fighting game. Unless you can predict where the move is coming from and adjust your guard before they attack, you're essentially screwed. This makes for some incredibly frustrating gameplay, when you can successfully fend off 3 attackers in their own zone, only for a PK to come along and kill you with no risk with pure light spam.

Lumina-US
04-24-2017, 08:27 AM
sigh, some day you guys will give up the nonsense and join the master race ^^

i mean, you're bashing the PC, in a thread about how crappy the game runs on your console, whilst us PC players enjoy butter smooth framerates. *shrug*THIS is exactly the kind of behaviour that stinks about the PC players - you have a PC? - Good for you, others have too, i sold mine before Wincrap 8 became a must and took a Mac instead.

Long story short, stop being jerky elitists about the so called "advantages". PC-gamers are not better than gamers on any other platforms - thank god that people with sense own multiple platforms and do therfor not share the narrow minded view that you have.

So enjoy your MaSTa-Race and lock yourself out from many great games.

Herbstlicht
04-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Thanks for bringing this up, Herbstlicht. We've definitely seen a lot of talk asking for consoles to get separate adjustments from PC due to the differences in hardware. While we don't have any information to share regarding it, we welcome the feedback and will forward it to the team for them to consider.

Yay, finally, that does give some hope indeed :-)

Concerning our dear PC-"Elitist's" - i honestly believe i could - easily even - afford PC-gaming. But there have been some points already that made me chose the console. Like: cheaters are kinda non-existant. There is no "arms-race" (best graphics card, best processor, etc.) to stay on top. There is no optimization needed, no driver management, no tinkering with settings and presets. Besides, for me, PC has become a tool to work with. When i game, i want to lay back on my couch. When the tension rises, well, i can sit up anyway (For Honor makes me do this very often). It is not so that everyone wants the best. It is not even a question of money (alone - i guess it is for some).

And i did not "bash" the console in my thread. I only explained how stuff worked and was perceived different, like the incredibly hard to pull of light-parry. By no means did i say the game runs like crap. Now that i enjoy it on a new 2017 model 4k HDR TV it really, really looks amazing. Wish HDR would be implemented too btw ;) However, this doesn't change the fact of the different ways lag occurs, so some problems remain.

Furthermore, those "problems" are only there in very competetive games. You know, console players do enjoy competetive shooters (Overwatch etc.), Fighting Games etc. since a very long time already. Even before people went beating each other up on a PC, they did so on console - and arcade.

So in the end, i do see PC as what it is: a possible extremely powerful machine that is capable of doing everything and possibly doing so best. The cost is high though and this way of gaming will surely never be the way everyone does play. "Via" PC - yes. On his own powerful PC? Don't think so. Streaming technology might one day become standart, gaming as a service. All we would need then is some streaming box. Until then, consoles and home pc's will continue to coexist, with consoles being most likely the continued biggest market for the majority of triple A titles.

Isenhauwer
04-24-2017, 11:16 AM
But there have been some points already that made me chose the console. Like: cheaters are kinda non-existant. There is no "arms-race" (best graphics card, best processor, etc.) to stay on top. There is no optimization needed, no driver management, no tinkering with settings and presets.

Amen