PDA

View Full Version : Why does msaax8 make cloths look so much better

Randiam1
04-15-2017, 10:09 PM
When i change my aa to msaax8 it make the cloths have really nice physics. Why is this? Is there a way to get the nice physics without aa because it brings my frames down to 15-25?

strigoi1958
04-15-2017, 11:55 PM
http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/assassins-creed-unity/assassins-creed-unity-anti-aliasing-comparison-1-4x-msaa-vs-8x-msaa.html

If you follow that link and move the slider left and right you can see the difference between 4x msaa and 8x msaa and it is almost identical but... 8x msaa has to do a lot more calculations which takes more time and so your graphics card cannot produce frames as quickly... so your FPS is lower.

Different games vary in how much the FPS is affected but.......

Every effect that AMD or Nvidia add to the options will slow down performance, some barely have any effect while others will really slow down the FPS. So it means we have 2 choices, we either buy an expensive pc or we start playing with the settings to give us a balance between performance and FPS.

I did post a chart on here in the past showing how much msaa affected a pc with 2 nvidia 12gb titan cards... I assume that like me, you do not own 2 titan x cards :)

MSAA is the best AA but also the most demanding :(

Batman arkham city using 2 x titans in sli and you can see msaa 8 cuts the avg fps in half, also the visual difference between 4x and 8x is not noticeable but 8x really impacts FPS. Play with your settings, find what looks nice to you and ignore FPS counters

so if 2 titans can only average 84 FPS in batman how few FPS will one 12GB titan make?

..................Avg. FPS..........Max FPS........Min FPS
No AA..............161..................224.......... ..... 57
MSAA 8x..........84...................166.............. ..44
FXAA (high).....154................. 204................60
TXAA (high)......98...................118.............. ..67

It's not something I do myself but I believe others have been able to get some good results using fxaa AND msaa x2 as together they have a lot less effect on FPS than msaa x8.

If you really prefer msaa x8 then you will need to invest in a better pc.

my pc...
i7 6700k @4.6Ghz
16GB DDR4 @3000Mhz
GTX980 ti (dead but replaced with a 1070 while waiting for the 1080 ti)
M.2 drive for fast read access
3 TB HDD
2 monitors @2560 x 1440

I don't even turn on most settings... I run a mixture of medium to high. I play with settings until they look nice. A lot of ultra settings really destroy a game by making it too dark.. when you are trying to find something or someone at night.... some of these settings just turn several different shades of grey into black and make the games impossible. Things like tessellation can produce ugly effects, turning palm trees into what looks like tall thin pineapples. :)

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-unity-graphics-and-performance-guide

if you click any of the pictures on that link you can use the sliders to see what effects you prefer... also there is a video which shows the different effects... as none of them affect game play they do not interest me, I just like to play games... I don't really care exactly how they look just as long as they are ok for me.