PDA

View Full Version : Framerates? High fps vs low fps and relation to attack speed

CrimsonWolf753
04-15-2017, 12:16 AM
If consoles run at 30 fps, and pc at 60 or higher does this affect the time a player has to react to attacks?
For example
Does a light attack at 30 fps take the same amount of time to hit as a light attack at 60 fps?
Do higher frame rates give you more time to react to strikes?

Or do higher frame rates just show more of a visual movement throughout the attack instead of just
red left marker-sword in face at 30fps?

When I watch youtubers playing for honor on pc it seems like the attacks are coming out slower. Optical illusion?

Vrbas1
04-15-2017, 05:19 AM
Having played both PC and Xbox versions, to me there is a noticeable difference. Though it doesn't matter knowing the person at the other end you're fighting also has to suffer through 30fps too. It still doesn't make sense to me why this isn't 60fps for consoles. There are bigger in scale and more demanding games that can push 60fps (BF4), why can't this?

mhartvig
04-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Most important: Why only 60 fps/hz monitor while on pc:)

The first and the last frame will be exactly the same on an attack annimation.
The only difference is if you have a sloppy 30 fps experience (disadvantage) or a fluid experience.

On console, everybody is hurt equally by the limitations of the hardware (Ps4 pro more fps?), and probably also has very high input lagg on their televisions in addition. You may refer to theese people as "console noobs".

On PC, you may argue, that a guy playing with > 100 fps on a >60hz monitor has an advantage. But in general, if your fps is stable on 60, you should not have a disadvantage.

DrExtrem
04-15-2017, 07:53 AM
The problem is not only the less fluent animation when you play at 30 fps.

Add input lag from your tv screen, dead zone on the controller, controller input delay, skipped or mirrored frames, network lag ...

Its the combination that makes defending against light attacks on console a chore and not a single reason.

They are going to adress the light spam of the pk based on pc data and then adapt it to console - a false move. I bet, that they will only need he damage by a bit, which does not fix the console specific problem. The pk will only need longer to spam you to death.
And its not only the pk ... valk, kensei, orochi, zerker ... all heroes with fast, chainable light combos are extremely difficult te defend against on console.