PDA

View Full Version : So... Universal Block Speed?

xThworf
04-14-2017, 02:47 AM
I've seen this idea being thrown around more than a handful of times on the forums, and I'm not entirely sure that I've seen a thread specifically discussing it (If there was I definitely missed it). What do you guys think of the idea of a universal block speed/guard stance change speed? Pros/Cons?

I know the devs are focusing right now to break the strength of the defensive meta, and this may seem counter productive in that aspect but, it seems to be something that a game of this sort should have just for the sake of consistency. In other words, even though the concept of making every character change stance at the same rate would be technically adding on to the strength of defensive play, it wouldn't really be adding on to the current problems that are really shining through with defence. It would make the characters like raider, LB, Nobushi, etc more able to defend against assassin/quick playstyles, and make blocking feel smoother when changing between characters, but wouldn't necessarily add any defensive strength to the "turtles" that already exist as those problems seem to lie in class specific balancing issues. I honestly think it would be a solid move towards a better feel in the gameplay, but that's just my opinion and feel like if others feel the same way, it's something that the devs should seriously look at as a possible change in the near future. What do you guys think?

tl;dr- Universal Block speed/ Guard stance change speed... In my opinion would be a good idea, even though the devs are trying to weaken the defensive meta. do you agree or disagree and what's the reasoning behind your choice?

kweassa1917
04-14-2017, 03:09 AM
Is there even a difference?

Because I'm getting info from two different groups, one that claim there is a difference, and one that says it's all a myth. So if there is a confirmed, substantiated and established fact about whether there's a difference between guard/stance change speeds or not, please someone point me to its direction.

What I know by experience, is certain classes do FEEL sluggish and clunky in stance changes, but now I'm not so sure if its real, or just placebo.

xThworf
04-14-2017, 03:39 AM
Is there even a difference?

Because I'm getting info from two different groups, one that claim there is a difference, and one that says it's all a myth. So if there is a confirmed, substantiated and established fact about whether there's a difference between guard/stance change speeds or not, please someone point me to its direction.

What I know by experience, is certain classes do FEEL sluggish and clunky in stance changes, but now I'm not so sure if its real, or just placebo.

You know, if I'm to be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure if it has been confirmed to be true or not officially. I'm just going by what I know I feel in the game as well as what I've read from others who seem to believe there is a class specific speed to guard stance change. Any confirmation for or against it is definitely welcomed by me as well.

But with that being said, assuming it's true and not placebo, would you want it unified or remain class specific?

Kaotic_CipherTV
04-14-2017, 03:49 AM
Stance change speeds have been confirmed. Someone broke it down with frame by frame data.

psyminion
04-14-2017, 03:58 AM
I'm just a dude who likes to play, and I think the classes with super-armour have it to help balance their slower guard change, and having a slower guard change due to the size and weight of their weapons makes total sense to me.

I'd like to think if all the heroes had the same guard change speed it would make the game feel pretty boring, and not give any reason to pick a smaller lighter hero with less health that deals less damage...

xThworf
04-14-2017, 04:14 AM
Stance change speeds have been confirmed. Someone broke it down with frame by frame data.

Any links to info/video on that by chance? Would be interested to look more into it.

kweassa1917
04-14-2017, 04:16 AM

Not by the devs themselves, IIRC... and I've seen rebuttals and objections to "test results" which claim the whole thing is a myth and misconception coming from flawed testing methods.

What we'd need is an official confirmation from the devs, something that cannot be refuted.

xThworf
04-14-2017, 04:22 AM
I'm just a dude who likes to play, and I think the classes with super-armour have it to help balance their slower guard change, and having a slower guard change due to the size and weight of their weapons makes total sense to me.

I'd like to think if all the heroes had the same guard change speed it would make the game feel pretty boring, and not give any reason to pick a smaller lighter hero with less health that deals less damage...

From what I've heard isn't the Nobushi in the lower tier of stance speed? Don't believe she utilizes any sort of hyper armor but I could be mistaken, and I guess going by your point even if she doesn't, her bleed would be the trade out for the hyper armor. Interesting opinion though, I can definitely see where your coming from with that. I just feel making a core aspect of defence like block speed different per class isn't the way to go when it comes to balancing and making things less "boring". I feel like better balanced kits, and more consistent openers depending on the style of your class are better ways to go about it, so that the core of the gameplay is universal.

xThworf
04-14-2017, 04:24 AM
Not by the devs themselves, IIRC... and I've seen rebuttals and objections to "test results" which claim the whole thing is a myth and misconception coming from flawed testing methods.

What we'd need is an official confirmation from the devs, something that cannot be refuted.

100% agree that official confirmation from a dev whether or not it's true would be great. One could only hope.

escacleo
04-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Would be nice if they just removed the delay but i get why it's there. As punishment for guarding the wrong direction. But some moves feel so fast I can never seem to block in time.

For real, I have dead cat like reflexes.

Being a console player should have been punishment enough :)

xThworf
04-15-2017, 12:29 AM
Would be nice if they just removed the delay but i get why it's there. As punishment for guarding the wrong direction. But some moves feel so fast I can never seem to block in time.

For real, I have dead cat like reflexes.

Being a console player should have been punishment enough :)

Lol I feel you on the being a console player part.. But yeah I don't really think removing the delay all together is a great way to go. Like you said the punishment for guarding in the wrong direction should definitely still be there. I just think having some classes change stance at a different speed in a game like this is kinda silly. Balance is obviously a hot topic right now, but it seems to alot of people that even a core mechanic like stance change is whack right now for some classes.

If alot of people feel like the speed shouldn't be different, and if the devs could do so in a way that doesn't break everything else, I think it's something they should take into serious consideration.