PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural connotations in some characters

CandleInTheDark
04-13-2017, 04:10 PM
I was looking up oni in order to answer a question on the shugoki over in the community creations board and that got me to thinking. Each of the factions have a character that very much seem to have supernatural connotations, well certainly two, the third relies on interpretation more than the other two, these are the valkyrie, the shugoki and the peacekeeper.

If we start with the definites, Valkyrie, I suspect there are few who have looked at mythology on any level who don't know about the spirits who carry the souls of warriors to Valhalla. The shugoki, as I said further up, is almost certainly based on the oni, when his bio said something along the lines of guardians now living among the people I immediately thought oni and then there was the oni charge in his moveset, this is a picture of how oni are represented which should look somewhat familiar.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Oni.jpg

The peacekeeper is more interpretation than anything as I don't even know where to begin to look to find anything specific that matches the almost mythology around her. In her bio we learn they are made up of the humbled, the devout, the desperate. This sounds very much like the grey wardens in dragon age where if you are conscripted, it will save you from anything including the gallows but it comes with one hell of a price. Something like this is also hinted at with that she is bound by vows she cannot reveal and then you look at her executions and one is called sacrifice, it all has a very demonic/ritual connotation towards it (which by the by paints the knights very sinisterly, a warden's vows are hard to break according to story mode, a conqueror comes from prison scum and the lawbringer is described as pitiless).

Likely it is nothing at all, but I am wondering how deliberate this was since we are already suspending disbelief to accept that knights, vikings and samurai are in the same conflict. I don't think it has much meaning, it was just something that interested me as someone who has studied mythology on a basic level and I figured would share as a talking point.

corazondedelfin
04-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Nice one, Candle. Reading that is really nice, thought most of it I already knew it, you sum some of my thoughts pretty well. Nice one, man.

+1 5 Stars

Alustar.
04-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Mythological representation is very prevalent into this game. You hit the nail on the head there Candle.
I would, for one would love to see fighters representing the Greek, Romanian and Egyptian cultures too.

Capoupacap
04-13-2017, 04:48 PM
I suppose a warden with a alien face wouldn't have been ok :D

ShadowFetus
04-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Nice write up :cool:

SK-LorD4rk
04-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Agreed 100% for Shugoki and Valkyrie. I don't believe there is any "mythological" inspiration for PK thou. They just seems to be heavily inspired by the characters in the Assassin's Creed franchise. I'm trying to find more info about the Nobushi (do you have any?), this char really got my attention since day one.

SK-LorD4rk
04-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Oh, I'm in love: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-bugeisha

CandleInTheDark
04-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Agreed 100% for Shugoki and Valkyrie. I don't believe there is any "mythological" inspiration for PK thou. They just seems to be heavily inspired by the characters in the Assassin's Creed franchise. I'm trying to find more info about the Nobushi (do you have any?), this char really got my attention since day one.

Oh certainly, I agree that the peacekeeper is far more tenuous than the other two, and I agree that is more likely, as I said it was more a matter of interpretation over a few things that were suggestive, there is certainly nothing hard I can think of like the other two that have hard sources in mythology.

I hadn't seen that page itself but I had looked up the naginata a while ago which said pretty much the same, that it was mostly used by female nobility to protect family and honour in times of need and was chosen for its longer range as an equaliser against larger and stronger attackers.

MrForz
04-13-2017, 11:38 PM
I'm afraid it doesn't always concern only one character per faction. Raider is said to be born with the spark of the Gods, and given how the norse mythology works, which is somewhat similar to greek mythology, they alone decide the fate of such characters, which is why Raiders don't even bother with armor as their inevitable, and maybe revealed fate is set in stone, somewhere. That is one hell of a bargain too.

CandleInTheDark
04-13-2017, 11:47 PM
I'm afraid it doesn't always concern only one character per faction. Raider is said to be born with the spark of the Gods, and given how the norse mythology works, which is somewhat similar to greek mythology, they alone decide the fate of such characters, which is why Raiders don't even bother with armor as their inevitable, and maybe revealed fate is set in stone, somewhere. That is one hell of a bargain too.

Ah neat, I didn't know that. I had seen it with a definite two and a tenuous third but yes it is interesting to see where they have worked in mythology all through.

UbiNoty
04-14-2017, 12:16 AM
While it doesn't give any specifics on hero basis, this article (https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-community/164-242692-16/see-what-inspires-the-creative-team-behind-for-honor-to-get-yourself-prepared-for-battle) does give some insight into the themes, movies, books, etc. that the team drew inspiration from as they crafted the world of FH, the factions, and our favorite heroes. Hope you find it interesting! :D

pancakerz
04-14-2017, 01:13 AM
both the shugoki and valkyrie backgrounds were mentioned in the hero preview trailers before the game came out. I mean, good on you for doing some research into this stuff because the history of these groups in real life is really cool, but those things in particular were never really a secret.

CandleInTheDark
04-14-2017, 01:18 AM
both the shugoki and valkyrie backgrounds were mentioned in the hero preview trailers before the game came out. I mean, good on you for doing some research into this stuff because the history of these groups in real life is really cool, but those things in particular were never really a secret.

Fair enough, For Honor only really came on my radar when it came out, I got it halfway through the first round not long after.