PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it.

AmericanBalls
04-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Hey all,

I'm having a super hard time figuring this game out. I swear the blocking is really inconsistent. I'm not sure if there is some delay but it seem opponents can counter my GB with much more of a window as well as can block faster (I know different classes have different speeds). Now, I know I need to get better but it seems like half the time it just doesnt register. Are there any known problems on xbox with delay, perhaps my TV? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've looked up tons of good player's videos to see the mechanics and it seems I am doing it correctly.

Cheers!

FootlessRhino
04-12-2017, 09:44 PM
could be connection, could be the class you're using (since they have different guard stance speed), could be your lack of reaction as well. the fact that you're playing on the console probably doesn't help, although I'm not sure how much harder it is to react with a lower framerate, I personally use PC. I still have trouble reacting to wardens zone and valks lights for example. PK is a bit rough to block as well, although Valk is my real nightmare with that leg sweep lol. Sometimes it does seem like I should've deflected or blocked the hit but it still connects, usually it's a latency issue though. try to keep an eye for animations instead of indicator only, it should help you to anticipate direction a bit better.

AmericanBalls
04-12-2017, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Just trying to figure out if I'm missing something basic haha. I guess I'll just keep practicing. Nobushi eats me alive. I think a big part of it is reaction timing, I don't think I have the quickest to be honest.

iAlwaysL0se
04-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Hey all,

I'm having a super hard time figuring this game out. I swear the blocking is really inconsistent. I'm not sure if there is some delay but it seem opponents can counter my GB with much more of a window as well as can block faster (I know different classes have different speeds). Now, I know I need to get better but it seems like half the time it just doesnt register. Are there any known problems on xbox with delay, perhaps my TV? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've looked up tons of good player's videos to see the mechanics and it seems I am doing it correctly.

Cheers!

For a CGB, you basically hit the GB button as soon as your opponent makes contact with you BUT you cannot hit any other button other than the GB button(meaning you cant flub hitting A and then X) or it wont go through, the game will read it as in incorrect input and you'll be GB'd. ALso, You cannot counter GB when having your guard broken while dodging. So if you miscalculate an incoming attack and side step, but your opponent instead GB's you, you cannot counter GB so be weary of dashing too close to someone.

For blocking, this game is really all based off of reaction speed and its measured in milliseconds. I will tell you though, there are many times when you see yourself fully guard an attack and its ignored (animation and all of blocking in the direction) and you still take damage. I'm not sure if it's connections with the p2p system, lag, or simply being a fraction of a millisecond too slow but, I have had it happen to me plenty. It usually happens with attacks that come out really fast like the wardens top light attack. So some of what you are experience is possibly out of your power.

Only thing left to say is what you already know, practice makes perfect!

DrExtrem
04-12-2017, 11:01 PM
TV?

If you are playing on console, you will have a harder time blocking fast light attacks. Counter guard breaking is also more difficult - more so, if the enemy stacked debuff resistance on gear. However, this should be fixed with the next patch.

AmericanBalls
04-13-2017, 02:04 AM
Appreciate the replies everyone. I'll keep working at it, but glad to know all these things. One more thing, how did you guys all get up to speed on all the "rules" and advanced mechanics (like not being able to CGB after dashing and being guard broken)? I learn some of these things just from playing, but don't feel like they were introduced in the tutorials or some of the moveslist for characters. There are little things I keep finding out that seem to be common knowledge for everyone that I'm just hearing haha.

SlashingElbow
04-13-2017, 02:30 AM
for me game was perfect at beta now i cant even connect and people are already crying and want all the good stuff nerfed.

RoosterIlluzion
04-13-2017, 02:40 AM
Also, you cannot GB if your opponent spams the attack buttons. you'll be half way through your GB animation and then get hit with their attack. You lose.

KnifeInUrNeck
04-13-2017, 02:47 AM
If you're playing in modes where gear stats are active, the debuff resistance stay can lower CGB window so you might be seeing some of that in addition to the stuff posted above. You could always test in duel mode against bots to see if that's what you're experiencing. If you have a very low debuff resistance, you can take longer to recover from "self-inflicted rebuffs" like getting blocked by superior block etc. The CGB thing will no longer be affected by that stat after the newest patch hits the consoles though.