PDA

View Full Version : War of the Factions - Now and Then

SK-LorD4rk
04-11-2017, 11:58 PM
Ubisoft, I've put together a few ideas/suggestions to expand the War of the Factions system for future Seasons:

Before anything else, add transparency and balance (number of players per faction, “comeback” system etc) in a meaningful way so everybody gets a clear picture of how the system works in the next season – currently, the system is kind of confusing for some players and boring. Majority of people simply don’t care for it.

Once the items above are addressed, I suggest a vast expansion of the system by adding:

Full-featured Faction Clan System
The main purpose here is to help organize people from the same Faction to get together.

clan leaders are: Grandmaster (Knights), General (Samurai) and Jarl/Hersir (Vikings);
clan captains are: Commander (Knights), Daimy§ (Samurai) and Chieftain/Merkis (Vikings);
the top 3 Clan, per Faction, that provides the most deployment points during the whole season awards a special prize (could be minor cosmetic prizes etc)

Faction Lobbies

designated clan ‘captains’ can recruit;
people can organize massive “deployment” incursions;
create faction tournaments (like elect the best duelist in the Faction among all Clans etc)

Map Strongholds and new game mode: SIEGE
Add some faction's (mini) strongholds strategically positioned in the map towards the main faction Headquarters every round, this also demands a new game mode called SIEGE where it plays like a blend of the current Dominion mode and the single players missions where Knights sieges the Vikings and the other mission where Vikings invades the Samurai empire, but with more flavor and tactical options. By the end of the round the stronghold belongs to the winning faction and greatly sums to the War of the Factions point system.

SIEGE mode is always 4x4 (too bad this can’t be +6x6);
SIEGE mode can only be played using Faction heroes! (no more PK mains fighting for Vikings etc!)

Alliance/Diplomacy System
Add an alliance sub-system within the clan system. During a season – it only activates if your faction loses for good the chance to win the season, but there are still two Factions at war – your faction Clans have the option to form alliances with other faction’s Clans and start helping with deployments against the common enemy for w/e price (steel/scraps etc) the Clan leader requests in order to join forces. The greatest is your clan, the greatest is their value in War as an ally. So, if you are part of an active/performing Clan that somehow lost the war by round 4, you would still have meaningful things to look for in the last round of the Faction War.

clan leaders/captains can organize events (attack/defend/siege) with the help of another faction if/when applicable;
alliances are formed in a per Clan capacity, not per Faction capacity, thus you could have several clans (or solo players) from the Viking faction helping Knights and others helping the Samurai for example;
the allied faction that lost the chance to win the War, can not win any kind of reward from Ubisoft by the end of the season, only the prize they previously negotiated with the other factions Clans

New game mode: Coliseum
An extension of the Duel mode. Here, each clan (top 15 per Faction) presents its champion after an internal Clan tournament takes place. A total of 45 heroes (per platform PC/X1/PS4) will battle for blood and glory and rise as the ultimate duelist during a season.

in-game tournament system with full spectator mode (similar to dota2);
resets every new season;
game prize for the season champion (more below)

War of the Factions Prizes
This is absolute key. Without relevant prizes, nobody will care for War of the Factions system, period. I suggest:

1st place: an unique super cool ornament for all the heroes of the winning Faction – this can not be purchased in any other way (UBI store etc)
2nd place: a unique ornament for one hero of your Faction – this can not be purchased in any other way (UBI store etc)
3rd place: nothing (so alliance/diplomacy system is meaningful)
Top 3 performing Clans (per Faction): strongholds in siege game (only) are decorated with their banners
Top 1 duelist (Champion of the Coliseum): the coliseum arena holds a statue of the winner and the player name for the duration of the next Season
all above prizes are distributed in a per platform basis (PC, X1 and PS4)

As you noticed, this will add relevance to the Faction you choose, character you play and discourage, to a degree, Faction 'shifters' and “Orochi main here playing for the Vikings” situations etc.

Trading System
Add a trading system so players can trade armor/weapon pieces and scraps.

you can only trade once you belong to a Clan;
you can only trade items for characters that belong to you Faction. You can trade with a different Faction only if your Clan has currently set a diplomacy agreement, but if you are from Samurai, for example, you can only trade your Samurai stuff for other’s Samurai/Knights/Vikings stuff

I trust these adds great value to the game and immersion, while also serving as a platform to assist in the competitive scene (eSport) – which I believe should be the ultimate and main goal of this game – by increasing its relevance and popularity. Once you sort the connectivity / match making issues and balance (never-ending-task) all classes to a competitive level of fairness this game’s popularity/scene will sky-rocket!

I really wish the developers the best of luck. Although I fully acknowledge all the current and severe in-game issues, I firmly believe this game can still become a huge hit. It is my favorite game since a long, LONG time!

Best of luck,

-rih

UbiJurassic
04-12-2017, 12:36 AM
This is some cool and interesting feedback! I'll make a note to the team and forward it over to them. :)

SK-LorD4rk
04-12-2017, 02:09 AM
This is some cool and interesting feedback! I'll make a note to the team and forward it over to them. :)

Thank you!

Ulrichvonbek111
04-12-2017, 02:10 AM
Thank you greatly.
This is the best most constructive post I've seen on this forum.
If these suggestions could be implemented into the structure of the game then WOW... 👹
The game could be bigger than anything out there. ..👹

Eddeh07
04-12-2017, 02:34 AM
This is so funny. I was just today thinking about writing a post somewhere along the lines of "what would you all think of a sort of clan/community leader system being implemented into the game to bring further tactics to the faction war/focus and reward individual efforts"... but that's genuinely the limit of how much I thought about it before giving up!

HUGE props to the OP for thinking this through so much. There are so many fantastic ideas here. Also very glad to hear the forum moderators took note. Even if these thoughts don't come to pass any time soon, I think you have presented some really fantastic avenues for the development team to explore in (fingers crossed) For Honor 2, or even (crossed fingers crossed over themselves once more into a broken twisted mess of bones and cartilage) later seasons!

Thank you RihSiCk4 for an incredibly worthwhile contribution to the overall discussion of this game

SK-LorD4rk
04-12-2017, 03:40 AM
Thank you greatly.
This is the best most constructive post I've seen on this forum.
If these suggestions could be implemented into the structure of the game then WOW... ��
The game could be bigger than anything out there. ..��

Thank you Ulrich! Let's work together as a community to make this game better and better!

SK-LorD4rk
04-12-2017, 03:48 AM
This is so funny. I was just today thinking about writing a post somewhere along the lines of "what would you all think of a sort of clan/community leader system being implemented into the game to bring further tactics to the faction war/focus and reward individual efforts"... but that's genuinely the limit of how much I thought about it before giving up!

HUGE props to the OP for thinking this through so much. There are so many fantastic ideas here. Also very glad to hear the forum moderators took note. Even if these thoughts don't come to pass any time soon, I think you have presented some really fantastic avenues for the development team to explore in (fingers crossed) For Honor 2, or even (crossed fingers crossed over themselves once more into a broken twisted mess of bones and cartilage) later seasons!

Thank you RihSiCk4 for an incredibly worthwhile contribution to the overall discussion of this game

Thank you Eddeh! The game has great potential. Although I'm 34 and game since I was 5, I recently created an "early access" mindset for games that I really enjoy and try to contribute as much as I can to the overall development of it.

vipersden905
04-12-2017, 04:14 AM
I totally agree with this text! I would love to see the faction war more advanced then just place "war assets" down on a colored piece of land. The only thing i think is annoying would be "SIEGE mode can only be played using Faction heroes! (no more PK mains fighting for Vikings etc!)". This would restrict alot of people from using heros they enjoy! I fight for the knights as i respect the values and way of the knights. But love to play Nobushi because her style fits me. But overall great post!

pancakerz
04-12-2017, 04:19 AM
I love most of these ideas, though realistically a lot of them would be difficult to implement.
However the clan thing would be perfect. Organizing legit clan wars would be a blast.

SK-LorD4rk
04-12-2017, 05:53 AM
I totally agree with this text! I would love to see the faction war more advanced then just place "war assets" down on a colored piece of land. The only thing i think is annoying would be "SIEGE mode can only be played using Faction heroes! (no more PK mains fighting for Vikings etc!)". This would restrict alot of people from using heros they enjoy! I fight for the knights as i respect the values and way of the knights. But love to play Nobushi because her style fits me. But overall great post!

Hi vipersden. I understand your concern, but keep in mind that Siege mode is only one of many modes, and the only one that would demands character lock (needs to be meaningful). You, and many players including me, will be put in a dilemma - though choices are always good for a game - and, in your case: Should I SIEGE with my Knights (thus I must go with a Knight hero)? Or should I SIEGE with my all-time favorite char Nobushi, thus - for this season - I need to go with the Samurai faction. The reasoning is that it creates immersion and a natural balance.

SK-LorD4rk
04-12-2017, 05:54 AM
I love most of these ideas, though realistically a lot of them would be difficult to implement.
However the clan thing would be perfect. Organizing legit clan wars would be a blast.

Thank you! One can only hope (and help with ideas)! ;)

Lumina-US
04-12-2017, 08:20 AM
I see you share some love and passion for this game, considering all the bold ideas you brought to life, but to be honest, i think you're playing the wrong genre mate.

Basically what you're asking for, with all your suggested changes, is to turn the current "For Honor" into a War-Tactical MMO with a full fledged RPG-like trading and resourcing system, that otherwise most likely only strategy-games offer.

On first hand, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your ideas, as some of them are really creative, but you do realize that "For Honor" is only a middle-age themed MP-Brawler with a handful of Modes and Maps to play on - right?

Most "For Honor" players (as i wildly guess) are diehard PVPers, so do you really think they care for, resp. do want this game to become half a strategy-game with Clan-organizing, a more or less unique Trading-system etc.?

I say no way, and i'm not even one of those diehard PVPers i have spoken of above, i have a rather wide taste and play many different genres of almost all kinds.

I like to play this game because of it's rather unique setting and the fact that i have ever since been fascinated by the middle-age, since i was a child. But you have to realize that this is not "Civilization", "Braveheart: The Game", "Kingdom Under Fire" or even "Age of Empires", this is "For Honor".

So long story short, what you are basically asking for, is a completely different game, within the current game and besides, do you even realize what it would cost to realize all or even just half of your suggestions?

It would cost thousands of dollars, not to speak of the time and effort it would take away from that one string that holds the game alive, so before you think of new Modes a Clan-System, Armor Trading etc. (which basically have absolutely nothing to do with the game's main focus) Ubisoft has Servers/Matchmaking to fix mate, they don't have time to make a game within a game that is completely different from the main thing.

So please, for the love of god, stop demanding/suggesting new stuff and let the Dev's fix the already existing things first, some people can't even complete 3 Matches in a row in the game's current state - even with an all open green NAT and the best Internet available, so don't you think THIS should be Ubisoft's top priority instead?

Dude_of_Valor
04-12-2017, 09:57 AM
I see you share some love and passion for this game, considering all the bold ideas you brought to life, but to be honest, i think you're playing the wrong genre mate.

Basically what you're asking for, with all your suggested changes, is to turn the current "For Honor" into a War-Tactical MMO with a full fledged RPG-like trading and resourcing system, that otherwise most likely only strategy-games offer.

On first hand, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your ideas, as some of them are really creative, but you do realize that "For Honor" is only a middle-age themed MP-Brawler with a handful of Modes and Maps to play on - right?

Most "For Honor" players (as i wildly guess) are diehard PVPers, so do you really think they care for, resp. do want this game to become half a strategy-game with Clan-organizing, a more or less unique Trading-system etc.?

I say no way, and i'm not even one of those diehard PVPers i have spoken of above, i have a rather wide taste and play many different genres of almost all kinds.

I like to play this game because of it's rather unique setting and the fact that i have ever since been fascinated by the middle-age, since i was a child. But you have to realize that this is not "Civilization", "Braveheart: The Game", "Kingdom Under Fire" or even "Age of Empires", this is "For Honor".

So long story short, what you are basically asking for, is a completely different game, within the current game and besides, do you even realize what it would cost to realize all or even just half of your suggestions?

It would cost thousands of dollars, not to speak of the time and effort it would take away from that one string that holds the game alive, so before you think of new Modes a Clan-System, Armor Trading etc. (which basically have absolutely nothing to do with the game's main focus) Ubisoft has Servers/Matchmaking to fix mate, they don't have time to make a game within a game that is completely different from the main thing.

So please, for the love of god, stop demanding/suggesting new stuff and let the Dev's fix the already existing things first, some people can't even complete 3 Matches in a row in the game's current state - even with an all open green NAT and the best Internet available, so don't you think THIS should be Ubisoft's top priority instead?

Although fixing connection issues is a big deal and Ubisoft have even confirmed that is what they are focusing on, making a game evolve is not a bad thing. Yes it takes time, but there is nothing wrong in taking on board community ideas. I love this game, however to keep people interested for the long haul it must never become stagnant.

SK-LorD4rk
04-12-2017, 03:24 PM

Hello Lumina. I believe you missed the point of my post. DISCLAIMER: It should be crystal clear that fixing the severe issues (network, mm, balancing classes etc) are the absolute priority of the developers. If it was not implicit in the thread, now it is.

This thread is only about expanding a boring system called War of the Factions into a meaningful one. It should be done bits by bits and it could incorporate only a few of the ideas (like clan, lobby and spectator mode etc). It should also be a slow system feature upgrade (over months/years to come) to keep people interested and not an expensive: all-at-once upgrade.

Lastly, the difference between demanding something and suggestions are absolute. As a customer, I would never demand new features like these, only severe bug fixes. The thread is about suggestions for the future.

SK-LorD4rk
04-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Although fixing connection issues is a big deal and Ubisoft have even confirmed that is what they are focusing on, making a game evolve is not a bad thing. Yes it takes time, but there is nothing wrong in taking on board community ideas. I love this game, however to keep people interested for the long haul it must never become stagnant.

Yeap, you got it! :D