PDA

View Full Version : Video Blog - The Contradictive Experience of For Honor's Faction War

Farlander1991
04-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Hi, guys.

During my free time I work on game design-related blog posts for my website, and recently started doing videos as well. The latest is on the topic of For Honor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9MGRpC6EA), its Faction War to be more precise.

I hope you will enjoy the video and it will incite some interesting discussions :)

Thank you!

Jobsalot
04-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Good video. Feels like it really covers the issues of the faction war. The entire thing needs to be reworked and currently feels more like a placeholder meta game.

IDubbaDownI
04-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Awesome video. I like your suggestions as possible fixes. I think ensuring all players who join a match fight with their faction brothers is the biggest. I would say that friends in a party can fight with the party leader's faction. Just put a little indicator on the match loading screen showing that they are mercenaries :)

Matchmaking seems to do meh on skill at the moment anyway. But. Offer a choice between faction warfare and a lower level pool

Love the idea of territories actually meaning something. Nothing game breaking. But maybe "small" stat boosts okay, but def steel, exp, gear gains are def safe. Closer you get to an enemy base that's when you can get some in game changes. Maybe at first positive for your faction and then negative once you get right on their doorstep.

"Spread thin": -1 bar of health every spawn. Can recover health like normal. This would be like it's difficult to get resources to the front since you have so much territory.

Rare mineral mine: Able to forge more deadly weapons. Small boost to weapon damage. Can do another one for armor

The important thing is that you only get the boost from a tile when you are in someone else's starting zone. No boost for territories in you own zone. Or you can add a second property that has even smaller gains for the original owner controlling it.

TLDR: Faction matchmaking. Territory boosts. Good job on the video

teksuo1
04-11-2017, 02:00 PM
trials evolution was amazing, the multiplayer was not though. (puked in my mouth a lil')

BananaBlighter
04-11-2017, 02:17 PM
As always, good job Farlander. I actually saw this one in my recommended and watched it before you made this thread lol. I especially like the idea of making certain territories mean something in terms of gameplay. The Faction War is clearly flawed, but it's definitely harder to actually come up with solutions than to simply identify the problem so good job for giving some possible fixes too.

corazondedelfin
04-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Hi, guys.

During my free time I work on game design-related blog posts for my website, and recently started doing videos as well. The latest is on the topic of For Honor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq9MGRpC6EA), its Faction War to be more precise.

I hope you will enjoy the video and it will incite some interesting discussions :)

Thank you!

Ubisoft, hire this guy. Really. One of you Community Managers please redirect this thread to your bosses. He is the man you need, with really good ideas, to hire for your team.

Farlandar1991, your video is really good. RESPECT.

Farlander1991
04-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Good video. Feels like it really covers the issues of the faction war. The entire thing needs to be reworked and currently feels more like a placeholder meta game.

Thanks! Yeah, I was really excited by the idea of the persistent Faction War, but the excitement wasn't long-living because of its current state.

Awesome video. I like your suggestions as possible fixes. I think ensuring all players who join a match fight with their faction brothers is the biggest. I would say that friends in a party can fight with the party leader's faction. Just put a little indicator on the match loading screen showing that they are mercenaries :)

This is a neat idea for a fix with friends in terms of gameplay, but there's also the fact of receiving War Assets that can directly affect the Faction War. I think that for balance in the faction war, make it so that if you're a friend from a separate faction, have it so you can't participate in faction war afterwards (so you can't neither hurt nor help the friend from different faction). But there are other possibilities as well, it's really a topic that can take its own video which is why I didn't focus on it.

As always, good job Farlander. I actually saw this one in my recommended and watched it before you made this thread lol. I especially like the idea of making certain territories mean something in terms of gameplay. The Faction War is clearly flawed, but it's definitely harder to actually come up with solutions than to simply identify the problem so good job for giving some possible fixes too.

Ubisoft, hire this guy. Really. One of you Community Managers please redirect this thread to your bosses. He is the man you need, with really good ideas, to hire for your team.

Farlandar1991, your video is really good. RESPECT.

Thanks :) But I already work for Ubisoft :D (not for the For Honor team, though)

corazondedelfin
04-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Lol, then I was right hahaha!

Do me a favour, let me post my thread in here: TO EVERY VIKING, GO HERE> http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1629105-Vikings-time-has-come-to-fight-together-till-the-end!!!

Farlander1991
04-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Hi again :)

Forgot to mention, for anyone interested or not being able to watch videos, there's also a text post version of this (https://stanislavcostiuc.com/2017/04/10/the-contradictive-experience-of-for-honors-faction-war/) available :)

Gray360UK
04-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Good video :)

I think, if they don't want to re-do the whole system, which I doubt they ever will, that one of the modes should be a faction focused mode, where you have to play as a character from your Faction in a team of your Faction, perhaps for greater War Asset rewards.

Dominion would be ideal for this, but otherwise they have the potential to do this in a new mode.

Like you say, the Faction War is meaningless, but it doesn't have to be.

Every now and again, just by pure chance, the matchmaking system puts me in a team where everyone is a Knight character, and not only that, everyone is in the Knight Faction. At those moments I feel a genuine sense of my faction choice meaning something, a genuine sense of pride ... we are Knights, fightng together for our lands ...

It is a shame this only happens accidentally.

Having a sense of pride and belonging, a sense of brotherhood, a common foe, a common cause, is vital to making the Faction War mean something to the player. Apart from on a map screen that you only interact with for a few seconds between rounds (assuming you don't just forget / skip that and auto deploy) this is non-existant in the game.

Jobsalot
04-12-2017, 01:29 PM
The devs should definitely have a look at your ideas, there is a lot of truth in that video.