PDA

View Full Version : Is it actually worth getting good?

Godlymuppet
04-10-2017, 12:35 PM
I used to love watching the streamers. But now it's so boring. Just feints and counter guard breaking. The good players now all play exactly the same way. It doesn't matter who they face when you see the class you know exactly how the fight will go.

I have to say it gives me a bit of a dilemma.

I'm a pretty average player. I'm on PS4, so it's not quite as turtly, but still very similar.

I sometimes steam roll and often get steam rolled. The match making is so inconsistent. Maybe I'm just in the threshold of a skill bucket so bounce in and out.

If I want to improve, I need to work on my parries, which I kind of suck at at the moment. And learn the whole counter guard break thing, which is much harder on console.

But here's my dilemma, if I get better will I be robbing myself of the last enjoyable parts of the game? Will all my games just end up
copy pasta turtle games?

Assuming ELO even exists in this game, will getting higher actually reduce enjoyment of the game?

DrExtrem
04-10-2017, 12:41 PM
You can not get better at certain aspects of the game on console.

Blocking light attacks on reaction or even parrying them on purpose is not possible. counter guard breaking with the standard controller simply is extremely hard.

Without console specific adjustments, you are bottlenecked by your neurophysiology.

Gray360UK
04-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Do you only play Duels or something?

For me the enjoyment of the game comes from the teamwork and the chaos of the 4 vs 4 modes.

I can understand anyone getting bored if all they do is match mechanics against a single opponent all day long, it's barely 40% of what the game has to offer.

Dude_of_Valor
04-10-2017, 12:54 PM
I used to love watching the streamers. But now it's so boring. Just feints and counter guard breaking. The good players now all play exactly the same way. It doesn't matter who they face when you see the class you know exactly how the fight will go.

I'm a pretty average player. I'm on PS4, so it's not quite as turtly, but still very similar.

I sometimes steam roll and often get steam rolled. The match making is so inconsistent. Maybe I'm just in the threshold of a skill bucket so bounce in and out.

If I want to improve, I need to work on my parries, which I kind of suck at at the moment. And learn the whole counter guard break thing, which is much harder on console.

But here's my dilemma, if I get better will I be robbing myself of the last enjoyable parts of the game? Will all my games just end up
copy pasta turtle games?

Assuming ELO even exists in this game, will getting higher actually reduce enjoyment of the game?

The question is do you have fun win/loose or draw? If the answer is yes then absolutely work in improving. As for people playing defence, some of the best streamers I have seen are aggressive and do not always hang back.

There is a balance between aggro and defence, and one needs to be good at both. This game from my understanding is about mind games, inducing damage over time, being patient, being calm when under pressure, show no remorse for your actions (ledge throwing, zone attack into zone attack for e.g.), going full aggro when you can.

I am so glad it is not a zurg rush, mash buttons and ridiculous combo's. Just my opinion though.

Godlymuppet
04-10-2017, 12:57 PM
You can not get better at certain aspects of the game on console.

Blocking light attacks on reaction or even parrying them on purpose is not possible. counter guard breaking with the standard controller simply is extremely hard.

Without console specific adjustments, you are bottlenecked by your neurophysiology.

While some things are harder, it's not true that you can't parry. That's why I'm having a dilemma. I can do it now and then, I just need to wait for certain moves and really concentrate.

Counter guard breaking is practically impossible unless you remap the PS4 controller in the accessibility menu.

I'm just wondering if it's worth getting much better and actually remapping.

I do much prefer the 4 player modes, but you still get one v ones there. And if I got good would I actually start to enjoy the duels & brawls more?

Did people have more fun before or after they got gud?

I'm probably not helped by the fact that in all games I'm an altaholic. Lol.

Dude_of_Valor
04-10-2017, 01:01 PM
While some things are harder, it's not true that you can't parry. That's why I'm having a dilemma. I can do it now and then, I just need to wait for certain moves and really concentrate.

Counter guard breaking is practically impossible unless you remap the PS4 controller in the accessibility menu.

I'm just wondering if it's worth getting much better and actually remapping.

I do much prefer the 4 player modes, but you still get one v ones there. And if I got good would I actually start to enjoy the duels & brawls more?

Did people have more fun before or after they got gud?

I'm probably not helped by the fact that in all games I'm an altaholic. Lol.

Do you enjoy winning? If the answer is yes then you will enjoy getting better at the game. With regards to parrying each class has different windows so it takes some getting use to.

Counter GB on console is hard, and must be done immediately in response. Pretty much have to guess when it is coming and that is only through knowing an opponents pattern of play (you get better at this the more you play).

Godlymuppet
04-10-2017, 01:04 PM
The question is do you have fun win/loose or draw? If the answer is yes then absolutely work in improving. As for people playing defence, some of the best streamers I have seen are aggressive and do not always hang back.

There is a balance between aggro and defence, and one needs to be good at both. This game from my understanding is about mind games, inducing damage over time, being patient, being calm when under pressure, show no remorse for your actions (ledge throwing, zone attack into zone attack for e.g.), going full aggro when you can.

I am so glad it is not a zurg rush, mash buttons and ridiculous combo's. Just my opinion though.

I do enjoy the game greatly. I'm just hoping to keep doing so.

I do hate Orochis with a passion though. They are impossible to block on console (yeah they are probably not impossible, it just feels like it). And there are so many of them, a recent game had 6 of the feckers. Only game I have ever quit out of that.

cragar212
04-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Well if you remap your controller you should be able to cgb like 80% or 90% of the time. If you don't you really need to focus on opponents gb start up animations. No reason not to remap to r3

If you play Raider or Lawbro you'll get good at feinting and parrying really quickly since they have limited tool sets. Games alot funner when you play it as intended and not just spamming 1 or 2 moves

Manlorey
04-10-2017, 01:13 PM
It is possible to get better on console with practice, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. CGB is no problem on console, you just must have it to a degree of muscle memory. Parrying light or even heavy attacks is another thing, based on what I've read it is easier on PC, but people still pull it off on console so you will master it too if you are willing to give it the time it requires.

Will it still be fun? Yes, as Gray360 pointed out, no one is forcing you to play exclusively Duel. I would get bored too pretty quickly there. When you get better, you can really shine in the teamplay based modes of the game, and there is still much fun in it.

Herbstlicht
04-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Honestly, keep enjoying whatever way most enjoyable. You don't like to loose too often? Try stuff in practice or custom modes. You don't care? Play whatever mode you like most and try to go for the more risky stuff.

Console has the advantage of a not too extreme turtling gameplay, the disadvantage of unreactable stuff.

So in the end, it will only continue to be a game liked by many when they adress our issues too. But until now, no word from them.

teksuo1
04-10-2017, 01:15 PM
For me the enjoyment of the game comes from the teamwork and the chaos of the 4 vs 4 modes.

Same, especially since the revenge nerf! i'm having fun trying to survive Xv1s (throw opponent into another opponent , stun both, switch target, burst, rince and repeat. It's a blast!

Dominion is really fun to me ; even though a lot of BS happens there.
I can't say i'm good but i'm enjoying myself!

SerArthur-Dayne
04-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Well I have a 3.01 K/D ratio, and I play with a ps4 controller on PC. Honestly I dont think the controller limits you at all, and ive had no issues with CGB, just gotta practice till its muscle memory..

Helnekromancer
04-10-2017, 01:22 PM

copy pasta turtle games?

I guess it also depends on who is your main/ playing atm. If you are playing a super easy gimmicky class who only has to do 1 or 2 combos it gets pretty boring pretty fast since the skill ceiling is "hey keep doing this" and win. But I think all the "good players" people who can gb/parry who knows the ins and outs of their character and yours, who push themselves to the limit giving you a run for your money are in duels and fighting those types of fights is a rush. And in those intense fights you learn new combos and mix ups you most likely wouldn't have discovered in 4v4 game mode in which people constantly are doing the same B&B combo to kill you, throwing projectiles and killing you entire team because they are piggybacking off of Revenge Mode.

But yes getting good is very worth it and you will only get better by playing duels and running into players of similar skill if not better who will push you to your limits.