PDA

View Full Version : 1.22 - Sonar still there

CSL_Kocour
01-21-2004, 02:29 PM
The sound dampening did help another bit and my big thanks to Oleg and Team for that...but...

...when you look at your right wing, you don´t hear NO engine sound in your right ear (the one pointing away from the engine) and vice versa...no engine sound in left ear when you look at left wing...the channel in the ear that is pointing away from the engine is free of engine sound and you can hear external sounds quite easily in it...this still needs to be fixed to solve the sonar problem completely

Letu zdar

CSL_Kocour

CSL_Kocour
01-21-2004, 02:29 PM
The sound dampening did help another bit and my big thanks to Oleg and Team for that...but...

...when you look at your right wing, you don´t hear NO engine sound in your right ear (the one pointing away from the engine) and vice versa...no engine sound in left ear when you look at left wing...the channel in the ear that is pointing away from the engine is free of engine sound and you can hear external sounds quite easily in it...this still needs to be fixed to solve the sonar problem completely

Letu zdar

CSL_Kocour

Erbriac
01-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Oh I am glad I'm not alone who completely lost engine sound in the ear pointing away from the engine block. If this must be the price for the sonar cure, well, I would like the old sound back. Now, we still don't have RL-like external sound and the internal one has gone crazy too http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

gates123
01-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Thats wierd I have an audigy 2 and even in 1.21 the engine noise would cut off like that. So if what your saying is true then nothing has changed for audigy users in that respect. Need to go home give 1.22 a tryout.

Recon_609IAP
01-21-2004, 03:41 PM
not fixed then is what I'm hearing?

what card and settings do you use, curious

S!
609IAP_Recon

http://www.leeboats.com/609/sig/609_recon3.jpg
Agnus Dei, Qui Tollis peccata mundi, Miserere nobis. Dona nobis pacem

CSL_Kocour
01-21-2004, 03:56 PM
The enine sound was missing from one channel in 1.21 too and maybe in previous versions as well, it is not the price, it is the reason why sonar is there

SB Live here, no EAX, normal settings, headphones, can hear planes from 2km in the "engine-free" channel

LeadSpitter_
01-21-2004, 10:14 PM
definatly fixable go to the tech forums and talk to hunter, aslo after installing the patch run fbsetup again and see if that helps.

http://www.geocities.com/leadspittersig/LSIG.txt
VIEW MY PAINTSCHEMES HERE (http://www.il2skins.com/?planeidfilter=all&planefamilyfilter=all&screenshotfilter=allskins&countryidfilter=all&authoridfilter=%3ALeadspitter%3A&historicalidfilter=all&Submit=+++Apply+filters++&action=list&ts=1072257400)

CSL_Kocour
01-22-2004, 05:56 AM
Imagine a guy who is flying a slow turnfighter plane...unable to bounce himself but quite liable to be on the receiving end, he can only wait for enemy mistakes and without sonar he would have to fly zigzag and scan the skies continuously...why would he try to fix it? Sonar is his precious early warning system. He will do everything possible to preserve it the way it is now. The real solution will do it for all at once whether they want or not.

SeaFireLIV
01-22-2004, 06:13 AM
I`m beginning to wonder whether this `sonar` thing is all in the mind. I get the impression that someone goes to bounce a target, but the tardget evades. Instead of realising that the target was on the ball (watching out, zigzagging momentarily), it`s "OH no! Sonar sound!" again! I must whine to Oleg.

I can hardly hear anything outside the cockpit now unless it`s real close. On the net I have to continuosly manouever, turn and several times I`ve nearly been `bounced` but avoided it. I wonder if they assumed it was `Sonar` sound. Well with 1.22 it certainly isn`t.

You guys won`t be happy until the cockpit is a sealed vacuum, then you`ll moan that people using headphones are cheating!

SeaFireLIV...
Slowly mutating into a Hurricane Ordnance Whiner...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/littlelaff.jpg

Larry the LA5 soon realised the sound improvement in 1.22 was not so great....

PB0_Roll
01-22-2004, 06:22 AM
my observation is that sonar has diminished for 12/6 o'clock PLANES (does not depend where my virtual view is set), i hear them only approx 150 to 200m.for 9/3 o'clock Plane position, sonar still there up to 500m.I don't hear external mg, but 20mm and more still audible at 500m and more.
left/right ear sound balance depending on where you look is slightly better, but much room for improvement.

i hear bombs exploding at 9000m !!!!

MOH_Ker
01-22-2004, 06:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CSL_Kocour:

Letu zdar

CSL_Kocour<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.
Last month in Ivan's server flying P-51, I managed to grab some alt after take-off when 3 incoming FW-190A-9 (one was Ivan) with a good alt advantage started to BnZ me. I was alone, nowhere to escape and my only hope was to reach back my airfield and Flak protection. The fact is my sound is messed the same when I'm watching my right wing. I do ear nothing from my own engine but only external sounds (not the same in my left wing). This way, I was able to evade all their attacks during the next 10 mn. Each time, I was breaking at the very last moment just before they opened fire and none hited me enough to bring me down. Thanks radar sound, I landed home ! As external views were allowed because B-17 was in plane set, they were sure I was flying outside my cockpit and able to see them diving. No, only sound issue who warmed me about distance and their speed.

I'm using my default MB sound chipset, AC97 in A7N8X. No sound settings is able to fix that in Setup, whatever I use, same problem. I thought it was a Force Feedback issue. I'm using a MS Sidewinder FF2 and some chanels are used for FF effects even if I disabled FF.

I haven't tried 1.22 yet, but what Kocour described is exactly what I had with 1.21.

S~
MOH_KER

CSL_Kocour
01-22-2004, 06:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I`m beginning to wonder whether this `sonar` thing is all in the mind. I get the impression that someone goes to bounce a target, but the tardget evades. Instead of realising that the target was on the ball (watching out, zigzagging momentarily), it`s "OH no! Sonar sound!" again! I must whine to Oleg.

I can hardly hear anything outside the cockpit now unless it`s real close. On the net I have to continuosly manouever, turn and several times I`ve nearly been `bounced` but avoided it. I wonder if they assumed it was `Sonar` sound. Well with 1.22 it certainly isn`t.

You guys won`t be happy until the cockpit is a sealed vacuum, then you`ll moan that people using headphones are cheating!

SeaFireLIV...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take a look here SeaFire:

http://cslkocour.euweb.cz/

The presentation is based on 1.21 tracks but the phenomenon is the same in 1.22 so it is still valid.

And wouldn´t it be better to be sure that there is no sonar and if the guy you are attacking fiddles around you would know for sure he was warned by someone else or is simply cautious?

The sonar is still a fact. Weaker, yes, but still there bad enough.

CSL_Kocour

SeaFireLIV
01-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Hmm. Interesting. I`ve had a look, will check this out myself. This isn`t so much about radar sound, but what should be realistically heard when looking about.... (from the engine point of view).

I was going to add I use the mirrors in Hurri, La5fn all the time, but it probably doesn`t apply now.

SeaFireLIV...
Slowly mutating into a Hurricane Ordnance Whiner...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/littlelaff.jpg

Larry the LA5 soon realised the sound improvement in 1.22 was not so great....

gates123
01-22-2004, 11:17 AM
All sonar for my audigy 2 is gone. When I'm looking at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions I can still hear my engine on the 6 o'clock side. I'm glad I dont have tir otherwise I would've had a broken neck this morning.

http://gr.fipu.krasnoyarsk.edu/camms/archive/ww2_fighters/0112/pics/0112_2_1.jpg
Did anyone see that or was it just me?

jurinko
01-23-2004, 07:21 AM
I fully agree with Kocour. I am not sure about hearing better when looking to the side, but the sound coming just into one ear when peering over the wing is unnatural and not pleasant. The cockpit must be flooded with the engine roar, the sound reflecting from all cockpit walls.
Just let some 30% of the sound coming to the ear which looks away from the engine.

PriK
01-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Haven't noticed the one-ear thing but will check it out later. All I know is that I've been bouncing (and getting bounced) much better with the patch. This changes the whole dynamic of online flying and to me FB sound is kind of sucky to begin with so I'll take it and be happy.

http://members.rogers.com/4xtreme/chbanner.jpg

SerpentBlade
01-23-2004, 09:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CSL_Kocour:

SB Live here, no EAX, normal settings, headphones, can hear planes from 2km in the "engine-free" channel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could it be the reason u hear further distance than others? I use soundstorm coming with ASUS A7N8X, and now I barely hear planes even 1 km away, in ext. view, with my own engines off.