PDA

View Full Version : Ship damage modelling and AA time out

deathhamster
09-10-2004, 08:08 AM
Will the damage modelling of ships in PF be improved over that of FB. When i say improved what i mean is will bombs and torpedos affect a target ship in different ways depending on where they hit the hull for example will a torpedo hit to the rear stand a chance of damaging rudder control. Also will there be the possibility to inflict "critical hits" on ships? by critical hit i mean will it be possible for a bomb hit on a turret to lead to a magazine explosion blowing the ship in half. It would be reallly cool if you could blow the bow out of the water and watch the rest of the ship bob about before sinking, or how about having a ship break its back and sink in two halves? This kind of damage modelling would lok really cool in PF

In addition to this can anyone tell me if a time out option will be in for AA so i can recreate suprise attacks like Pearl harbour, i tried a similar "Pearl harbour" attack in FB using Kronstadt island base as pearl being attacked by Stuka divebombers, zeros and IL2-T torpedo bombers instead of B6Ns the only problem with this was that most the the divbombers and torpedobombers where blown out of the air by the flak before they could even reach the target and i'm talking about 16stukas and 12 il2Ts getting blown away with only half getting to release points and non getting home

deathhamster
09-10-2004, 08:08 AM
Will the damage modelling of ships in PF be improved over that of FB. When i say improved what i mean is will bombs and torpedos affect a target ship in different ways depending on where they hit the hull for example will a torpedo hit to the rear stand a chance of damaging rudder control. Also will there be the possibility to inflict "critical hits" on ships? by critical hit i mean will it be possible for a bomb hit on a turret to lead to a magazine explosion blowing the ship in half. It would be reallly cool if you could blow the bow out of the water and watch the rest of the ship bob about before sinking, or how about having a ship break its back and sink in two halves? This kind of damage modelling would lok really cool in PF

In addition to this can anyone tell me if a time out option will be in for AA so i can recreate suprise attacks like Pearl harbour, i tried a similar "Pearl harbour" attack in FB using Kronstadt island base as pearl being attacked by Stuka divebombers, zeros and IL2-T torpedo bombers instead of B6Ns the only problem with this was that most the the divbombers and torpedobombers where blown out of the air by the flak before they could even reach the target and i'm talking about 16stukas and 12 il2Ts getting blown away with only half getting to release points and non getting home

VW-IceFire
09-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Starshoy mentioned that ships now have a timeout function so that they come alive after a certain time. Its not a complex trigger system but it works well enough from the sounds of it.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RAF No 92 Squadron
"Either fight or die"

weasel75
09-10-2004, 10:02 AM
IIRC the AAA on ships can be destroyed, or at least strafed (resulting in the death of the crew?) .....

Jason Bourne
09-11-2004, 06:41 PM
one thing i would like to see ship damage and AAA wise is that if you strafe a AA turret on a ship, or drop a bomb near it, either have the gun stop firing for a little while (have to replace the crew) or just stop working all together, ie, blown up gun. i think it would be interesting to see an entire side of a ships AA not working, and as you pass over a wall of steel comes up

...there followed one of those moments in history, the sort when the entire earth seemed to stop its spin, hearts paused, and even the people who'd been screaming their loyalty to a man already dead would remember only silence.

Charlie901
09-13-2004, 06:51 PM
With the awesome damage modeling of this sim, it would be a shame if ship damage wasn't modeled better than it is in FB.