PDA

View Full Version : 85+ hours played and I'm still mediocre

Apaolo_
04-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Feels bad man....maybe I'm getting too old for these types of games but my reactions are garbage. I can't pick a main, can't get used to a controller or mouse, keep missing parries, can't counter GB...

I still can't quit though, not sure why haha.

Hillbill79
04-03-2017, 07:43 PM
300 hours here and I'm not great.... not bad, but not great.

Apaolo_
04-03-2017, 07:44 PM

Damn 300 hours....is that just from the release or including beta etc?

Hillbill79
04-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Just what Uplay says, I'm assuming its from release as the Beta was a different download, I did play open beta, but not that much though. Just enough to know I liked the game.

294 hours to be exact

Supercool5150
04-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Feels bad man....maybe I'm getting too old for these types of games but my reactions are garbage. I can't pick a main, can't get used to a controller or mouse, keep missing parries, can't counter GB...

I'll admit my gaming skills are not what they used to be either. However, when your'e feeling down just go play some BOTS...They'll make you feel like your'e King of the world. (It works for me) Then go back and fight the real world. Rinse and repeat.

Manlorey
04-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Same as me, I guess.

I have 270 hours on PS4 (never played FH on PC), so I can speak only for console play.

What worked for me finding a character I like, which includes look and style. You must like the way he/she fights too, it must suit you, I guess. Just like in every other fighting game.
I advise against jumping from one char to another and playing everybody, it may work for streamers but they do it mainly for entertainment of the fans.
After you found your favorite hero, it is time to practice. Do play against bots - it is a great way to learn your chars strong and weak points, also it allows you to memorize and react to attacks other people may throw around (Zone Attacks). It sounds trivial, but it does help, play one round with bots before you jump into MP.

To be frank, at your game time (80 hours) I too failed CGB more often than not. Also, learn to block first, then the parrying. You are better off with a successfull block than a missed parry.

escacleo
04-03-2017, 08:07 PM
150h play time 61 in pvp. Not sure if I'm good or not

Burn-The-Sinner
04-03-2017, 08:10 PM
It's relative really

everyone else has been busy playing the game and getting better at the same time. Games have gotten more intensive, fast, tricky, so it's normal for you to fail at pressure...

Astrolite.
04-03-2017, 08:13 PM
I don't really care if i am good or if i am bad, guess we all have these days some times. I guess i am Average. its all about having fun folks!

Apaolo_
04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
It's relative really

everyone else has been busy playing the game and getting better at the same time. Games have gotten more intensive, fast, tricky, so it's normal for you to fail at pressure...

Seriously, some people are just so damn efficient at this game I can't compete. In the beta I was pretty good but that's when everyone was new. Now I'm just cannon fodder but it's still fun in a way. Little by little you learn etc.

Alchemist..
04-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Unfortunately in this game u need lots of hours to get good. Lern the timing of character, if u just spam keys u will choke alk the time with parry cgb and even attack u want to perform. For me that was most hard, i put dozen of hours just to lern timing for keys combos and feints with kensei. Another thing is lern other characters, movesets and how people play them, for example orochi players most of time after storm rush going to gb or counting hits of valk to be ready for leg sweap, lern variant when she can perfore leg sweap etc. Get the parry timing is also long way and u need just try hit the parrys even u losing 10 games in row bc u miss. Im still somewhere in mid tier after 69h pvp time but im lot better now, parry most of attacks i want to parry or feinting to bait parrys is like nothing pro (before was) and basically my win rate going higher every day.

RatedChaotic
04-03-2017, 08:50 PM
164 hrs I'm still learning my main. I suck and I still enjoy it. Dont be hard on yourself man.

Hillbill79
04-03-2017, 08:52 PM
I've changed characters a few times.....

Conq to rep 1 first.... liked him in Beta, soon got bored.
Warden to rep 3.... again, liked him and got bored.
Orochi to rep 2. Liked him, still do...just find him lacking in ways
zerker to rep 7, love that guy... has his bugs which will be fixed hopefully, my fave.
Now trying warlord... he's nearly rep 1.. Enjoying him too. Was just in a dominion with him against 2 108s and some purples...unbalanced teams.... finished top with 12 kills and 4 deaths. Happy days :)

Ive played most characters... nearly all are half way to rep 1, if not mentioned above.

So yeah, because of the diversity of playstyles ive tried, I'm not great with each, but I feel ive learned more from diversifying than I would have from staying with a single guy. Overall I mean.

Apaolo_
04-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Well I can't settle on a main for a few reasons. I like playing lower tier characters because it's more rewarding when you win...at the same time I excel with top tier characters like Warlord but I feel dirty doing it. Loving Berserker but sometimes I get owned so hard I just give up. I don't like playing defensively I like being aggressive but that gets me parried and guard broken all the time haha.

Dekallis
04-03-2017, 09:08 PM
"can't pick a main" There's your problem right there. Bouncing around characters will prevent you from learning matchups you'll start to figure out one then switch chars and realize you have approach things differently. then you switch again and that knowledge is wasted or forgotten. you have to stick to a character and learn how it matches up against others and accept that losses are going to happen.

I settled on a simple approach. playing a char to rep 1 before i moved on to another, that way i had enough concecutive play time with that char to understand it, and not forget it as soon as i moved on to another char. Even now though when i switch from Raider to Kensei or to Berserker I have problems my first couple of matches because i end up trying to use tactics from whatever class i was playing beforeEX:Raider tricks do not work when you are a kensei and after awhile playing a vanguard forgetting my guard comes down when i play zerker usually gets me killed at least once because I don't normally play assassins.

Regardless of time spent if you aren't paying attention to matchups you won't make much progress.

Hillbill79
04-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Well I can't settle on a main for a few reasons. I like playing lower tier characters because it's more rewarding when you win...at the same time I excel with top tier characters like Warlord but I feel dirty doing it. Loving Berserker but sometimes I get owned so hard I just give up. I don't like playing defensively I like being aggressive but that gets me parried and guard broken all the time haha.

So you learn to feint and cgb..... then you will be far from mediocre. Great tactics for zerkers ;)

Manlorey
04-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Well, if this is your FHTracker
https://fhtracker.com/profile/psn/hillbill79

You still have to play more to get better, and you will, so no problem with trying out different chars at this point. Just saying that to truly understand the strong points of a char, you need to play them exclusively for an extended period of time, so you learn the moves on reaction, dodge is a pretty good example of it, there are attacks which are better dodged and some not, as an Orochi you learn that by playing Orochi, not another char. :)

Apaolo_
04-03-2017, 09:18 PM

You still have to play more to get better, and you will, so no problem with trying out different chars at this point. Just saying that to truly understand the strong points of a char, you need to play them exclusively for an extended period of time, so you learn the moves on reaction, dodge is a pretty good example of it, there are attacks which are better dodged and some not, as an Orochi you learn that by playing Orochi, not another char. :)

https://fhtracker.com/profile/pc/Apaolo_

This is my tracker

Hillbill79
04-03-2017, 09:22 PM

That's not me. Weird as the name is the same..... my zerker is rep6/19 with a 108 gear score... that's defo not me.

Ah, that's a different platform.... I'm pc...

https://fhtracker.com/profile/pc/Hillbill79

Manlorey
04-03-2017, 09:25 PM
https://fhtracker.com/profile/pc/Apaolo_

This is my tracker
Yeah got that. Was just talking to Hillbill about his.

Looking at your tracker I too think you just need to play more, and do not give up - you will get better, its guaranteed. As I said already before, I had the same problems you had with CGB and parrying at your game time, cannot say I am a master of parrying now, but I do pull them off depending on the incoming attack, even managing to shut down PK spammers on reaction occaisonally and that on 30 frames less than you have :)

Manlorey
04-03-2017, 09:39 PM
That's not me. Weird as the name is the same..... my zerker is rep6/19 with a 108 gear score... that's defo not me.

Ah, that's a different platform.... I'm pc...

https://fhtracker.com/profile/pc/Hillbill79
Ah, sorry, assumed you were on the PS4 when I found the nickname there :)

Hillbill79
04-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Ah, sorry, assumed you were on the PS4 when I found the nickname there :)

No worries :)

XxHunterHxX
04-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Seriously, some people are just so damn efficient at this game I can't compete. In the beta I was pretty good but that's when everyone was new. Now I'm just cannon fodder but it's still fun in a way. Little by little you learn etc.

its easy to win all fights in this game...NEVER atack first w8 for your oponent to atack block then atack and you win...and SPAM YES and push people off thats how you play the game like a pRO !

Hillbill79
04-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Its a shame the pRO's have such little imagination.

"Who can be the most boring man on planet For Honor"

Well, someone has to win.

darksavior1977
04-03-2017, 10:53 PM
The longer I play, the fewer characters there are that I do not like.

psyminion
04-03-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm about 85 hours in too (not including beta time), and while I'm not 'bad' I sure ain't great.

I blame it on being in my late 30s and playing at night when I'm baked. some times I can't CGB or deflect for hours... that's when I go kill bots.

for me it's about the experience not the e-peen anyway.

i love this game.

DeathZoldat
04-03-2017, 11:29 PM
i hear ya man, rep 6 on one single character and still cant get a seem to win consistently

UbiJurassic
04-04-2017, 12:37 AM
I play on every console and participated in most of the testings we held and my gameplay skills are still -
http://www.wcnorthwest.com/Resources_Local/Images/garbage%20can.png

I dream of a day I git gud.

DizzleFresh13
04-04-2017, 12:48 AM
Sawl good man. You're not alone. I too am getting old and definitely notice my reflex speed dimishing. Still enjoy fighting games to death but my godlike days are way behind me. 200 hrs into this game and I'm slightly above average at best.

Delectable_Sin
04-04-2017, 12:55 AM
Meh, this game just isn't for some people. I have a friend that's a professional boxer, so his reactions are incredibly fast, and he's horrible at fighting games.

Sometimes the simple barrier of a keyboard or controller just gets in the way, and you aren't able to play the game that well.

FightingFerrets
04-04-2017, 03:42 AM
My kind of thread...God...I was beginning to think it was just me who just can't seem to "get good"! Lol...I enjoy the game, love the idea and concept, but I don't think I'll ever be more than a mid tier player with bad timing! :) And that's with 163 hours punched... I'm going to go the same route as other "oldies" and blame it on being 39...almost 40...

Apaolo_
04-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Haha glad I'm not the only one. Just hit 34 myself so I am getting a bit older and I guess slow reactions are bound to happen. I just realized I can rebind controls on my gamepad via steam so I've put GB and Feint on my left triggers. It's seemed to help me just slightly but we'll see!

Prophit618
04-04-2017, 03:39 PM
It's a tough game to get really good at. I'm at 160 or so hours and almost all of those hours have been on the same character, and I don't think I'm an expert by any means (though I do feel that I'm slightly above average at this point).
Looking at your tracker, you're only at about 41 hours of PvP with what would commonly be considered your "main" given you've used him more than any other. If you concentrate on that one class for a while, I have no doubt you'll see yourself improving faster. Really, with the nuances involved in higher end combat in this game, playing consistently with one character for a good long time is how you get good, and really even then the skills don't always translate well to another class.

Instead of concentrating on the losses, try to keep in mind that with Berserker, you actually have a positive win-rate. If you choose to main them, I'm sure that number will only go up.

Learn from your losses, but don't dwell on them. Practice consistently with a character you like.

If you want the masters' class level education, try recording your games and posting them up asking for analysis. Or ask a friend to duel you with classes you have trouble with but they are decent with, then discuss afterwards where one or the other of you went wrong and how to avoid it in the future.

I'm no expert, but as a fellow PC user, feel free to friend me in game and I'll happily try my best to help. Lord knows I could use more practice against Berserkers anyway :)

RatedChaotic
04-04-2017, 03:43 PM
Ya got myself an elite controller last night(wife was pissed) but it was well worth it for this game. Having guard break and dodge on those bottom paddles omg it helped so much. Especially since I have problems rotating blocks cgb and dodging. With a regular controller your trying to do all 3 with your thumb. Which is not the case with an elite controller.

NeoLocutus
04-04-2017, 03:47 PM
uPlay says that I've been 55h in game, 15h in PvP

I'm definitely not good: there are games in which I play definitely good, others in which I can't land a decent strike.
I don't mind, it's just a game and I play to have fun (and rage a lot xD) even if I lose. That's all.

BTW as a completionist I have to get all the achievements, so... :D

You can't because the game is still fun, despite all the quirks :)

Apaolo_
04-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Ya got myself an elite controller last night(wife was pissed) but it was well worth it for this game. Having guard break and dodge on those bottom paddles omg it helped so much. Especially since I have problems rotating blocks cgb and dodging.

Man tell me about it! Moving my thumb off the joystick to try and GB counter or feint was way too slow. Now that it's on my left triggers its so much faster!

RatedChaotic
04-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Man tell me about it! Moving my thumb off the joystick to try and GB counter or feint was way too slow. Now that it's on my left triggers its so much faster!

Ya big time. I also find myself doing some crazy stuff that I couldnt do with a regular controller.

Apaolo_
04-04-2017, 04:01 PM
It's a tough game to get really good at. I'm at 160 or so hours and almost all of those hours have been on the same character, and I don't think I'm an expert by any means (though I do feel that I'm slightly above average at this point).
Looking at your tracker, you're only at about 41 hours of PvP with what would commonly be considered your "main" given you've used him more than any other. If you concentrate on that one class for a while, I have no doubt you'll see yourself improving faster. Really, with the nuances involved in higher end combat in this game, playing consistently with one character for a good long time is how you get good, and really even then the skills don't always translate well to another class.

Instead of concentrating on the losses, try to keep in mind that with Berserker, you actually have a positive win-rate. If you choose to main them, I'm sure that number will only go up.

Learn from your losses, but don't dwell on them. Practice consistently with a character you like.

If you want the masters' class level education, try recording your games and posting them up asking for analysis. Or ask a friend to duel you with classes you have trouble with but they are decent with, then discuss afterwards where one or the other of you went wrong and how to avoid it in the future.

I'm no expert, but as a fellow PC user, feel free to friend me in game and I'll happily try my best to help. Lord knows I could use more practice against Berserkers anyway :)

I enjoy Berserker but sometimes I lose so badly that I give up. Not sure if he's the right guy for me since you have to work so hard with feints to win plus he's kind of squishy.

Steak0815
04-04-2017, 04:08 PM
I'm also garbage, but hey I have to most played games with Lawbringer on PC and 2nd most overall systems...

https://fhtracker.com/profile/pc/steak0815