PDA

View Full Version : Stop using the word "tech"

Extropy
04-03-2017, 02:40 PM
I would like to suggest some alternatives to the word "tech" that might better describe the action you're referring to:

- bug
- exploit
- cheat

So please, the next time you want to talk about some amazing "tech" you discovered or learned to use, spare us all your BS and use one of the above words instead. Thank you.

Gray360UK
04-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Haha, I second this.

My first encounter with 'tech' was the video posted on here a few weeks back of the streamer who got headbutted to death by a Warlord until he looked on the verge of tears, who spent the whole time saying 'oh yeah, great tech, really good tech, amazing tech'. I wanted to punch him. Where did this come from? Who invented this term? Why did they?

Stop it.

Temjinyuy
04-03-2017, 02:44 PM
I think "Glitch" also fits the bill well

Alustar.
04-03-2017, 04:09 PM
I'd like to throw the word "meta" into this as well. Omfg!

Solkoss
04-03-2017, 04:33 PM
I would like to suggest some alternatives to the word "tech" that might better describe the action you're referring to:

- bug
- exploit
- cheat

So please, the next time you want to talk about some amazing "tech" you discovered or learned to use, spare us all your BS and use one of the above words instead. Thank you.

OMG I couldn't agree more! Calling it tech just encourages use of bugs and exploits!

Honestly people who call it tech just call it that in order to feel better about themselves using bugs and exploits.

Prophit618
04-03-2017, 04:49 PM
"Tech" in my experience usually refers to changing something in your kit or gear (or deck, or figure collection) specifically to counter a popular meta-choice.

So using a specific feat because it counters a popular mechanic, would be tech.

A better more specific example would be using the Sprint Speed gear at max when you normally wouldn't to counter all the runners in game (though this issue seems to have largely gone away thankfully).

What isn't "tech" is pulling off a move.

What even more isn't "tech" is exploiting a glitch.

pancakerz
04-04-2017, 01:24 AM
I always thought tech was just a word for a counter guard break in For Honor

google shows:
"A technical, also known as a tech or tech hit, is a term used in the Street Fighter games and other fighting games that describe the act of canceling out the effects of certain attacks."

"Teching, Softening: This is when you counter your opponents throw attempt to some degree."

Egotistic_Ez
04-04-2017, 02:45 AM
Tech or teching in fighters is when you press a button at the right time to cancel or lower the impact of a damaging move/state. In For Honor it's pretty much only applicable to guard break escapes.

When people say things like "unlock tech" it's really just exploiting.

Felis_Menari
04-04-2017, 03:40 AM
Tech or teching in fighters is when you press a button at the right time to cancel or lower the impact of a damaging move/state. In For Honor it's pretty much only applicable to guard break escapes.

When people say things like "unlock tech" it's really just exploiting.

That's what I was thinking, even though I'm not big on fighting games anymore. Calling an exploit "tech" is a misnomer, pure and simple.