PDA

View Full Version : How do people with less experience in the game get better?

the_bull300
04-02-2017, 02:50 PM
When this is how you get matched up?

http://imgur.com/C9Zg1Fq

Yeah I'm **** at the game, but the way you get annihilated by more experienced players means you get no combat experience yourself only re spawn timer experience.

Gray360UK
04-02-2017, 03:32 PM
At the moment you just have to hope to get lucky with the matchmaking, or level up / get gear in AI modes.

Myself, I go the AI route for new characters and play my levelled up ones against other players.

Nxtgen_Soco
04-02-2017, 03:35 PM
custom match > 1vs1> AI > set to no damage and learn. also learning the move set for one character and I don't mean "ah I did that once I know how to do it " I mean learn it as in muscle memory have your fingers know the move off

CandleInTheDark
04-02-2017, 03:58 PM
If you want one that gear doesn't matter,duel is the one and youwill only have to deal with one person with no distractions otuside of where the environmental hazards are. On occasion you will get thrown in with people who have done it a lot longer but it isn't as bad. Outside of that the answers above are good advice.

Hillbill79
04-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Dominion vs Ai.... if I start a new guy, ill get him to level 1 in that.... gives me practice on the new guy far better than pvp

More xp and steel that way too, doesn't take as long.

DARKGLINT
04-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Matchmaking in modes where gear stats matter seem to be super super one sided. Has a tendency to stack all the lower leveled players on one side to basically get slaughter with no hope. Played a match earlier where my whole team was in white gear when all but one person on the other team was Rep 6 or higher with 108 gear.

CandleInTheDark
04-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Matchmaking in modes where gear stats matter seem to be super super one sided. Has a tendency to stack all the lower leveled players on one side to basically get slaughter with no hope. Played a match earlier where my whole team was in white gear when all but one person on the other team was Rep 6 or higher with 108 gear.

The devs made the point that the system doesn't know what character you're going to choose until after it has sorted you into teams. They said on the last warrior's den that there is something in the works for a patch down the line but they have a lot of other things that they are needing to work on.

Hillbill79
04-02-2017, 05:48 PM
The devs made the point that the system doesn't know what character you're going to choose until after it has sorted you into teams. They said on the last warrior's den that there is something in the works for a patch down the line but they have a lot of other things that they are needing to work on.

Shouldn't be hard to mm on your total rep overall.

Gray360UK
04-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Shouldn't be hard to mm on your total rep overall.

Doesn't seem like a solution to me. My total isn't going to mean I know what I am doing when I unlock my last 3 characters next week and try to PvP with them at level 1. Nor does it mean my gear on those characters will match the 108 gear of my opponents.

I can't think of any better system than to choose your character first.

Hillbill79
04-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Doesn't seem like a solution to me. My total isn't going to mean I know what I am doing when I unlock my last 3 characters next week and try to PvP with them at level 1. Nor does it mean my gear on those characters will match the 108 gear of my opponents.

I can't think of any better system than to choose your character first.

True.

But if you have a overall rep of say, 10..... you should know what you're doing... as far as game mechanics go anyway, you will know how to play. You might not have the muscle memory for the new guy yet, but that'll come.... the rest of the game is the same though.

I went into a game yesterday with a warlord... never played him before, literally basic level 1 with a gear score of 0. We lost, I came second on my team... though I died more times than I killed anyone..... they had a better team, but still, I didn't do too badly.

Was hard to play warlord after playing zerker to level 7.

Gray360UK
04-02-2017, 06:35 PM
But if you have a overall rep of say, 10..... you should know what you're doing... as far as game mechanics go anyway, you will know how to play. You might not have the muscle memory for the new guy yet, but that'll come.... the rest of the game is the same though.

Also very true :)

Netcode_err_404
04-02-2017, 07:52 PM
In brawls :

1) Choose a vortex class
2) never attack first

In dominion :

1) same
2) abuse cliffs, revenge, and some ranged OP feats.

Thats pretty much all you need to hear., in an half sarcastic way, but 100% true.

Viruletic
04-02-2017, 08:10 PM
I personally spent an hour or two with each character in custom games moving from bot lvl 0-3 (could only get to 3 with a few classes) and while bots only teach you how to read their incredibly predictable moves then counter attack, it's still great to learn everyone's movesets.

Once you know everyone's moveset and get a feel for how they play/what's effective, you'll play better against them. For instance you know Warlord will headbutt spam, or Valkyrie will try to set up a leg sweep.

Learn your main inside and out until each move becomes muscle memory and you can use their moves without thinking in certain situations. Muscle memory is half the battle, the other half is mind games with your opponent.

Highlord83
04-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Yeah I'm **** at the game, but the way you get annihilated by more experienced players means you get no combat experience yourself only re spawn timer experience.

They don't get better, they're not allowed. Instead they get pushed into a corner by endless valkyrie combo spam, or die before getting a shot off by the power of nippon time dialation light attacks. Attempting to point out the BS gets the people spamming said moves to storm up in a fury of "git gud" and "lol nub." Displaying their intelligence with every mangled syllable.

DrExtrem
04-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Actually.

In pvp modes you can only hope for the best. If you happen to be on the side without a pro level player, you can bend over, grab your ankles and kiss your arse good bye.

Only one skilled player can tip the match and matchmaking is ... improvable.

Another factor is your frustration tolerance. If you can handle it and you are stubborn enough to deal with light spam, GB spam etc, you might get better over time. Sadly, you don't learn much from betting the flour wiped with your intestine, while players spam "good fight" on the chat. And try to avoid skirmish - its zerg rushing extra ordinaire.

brainfrog.345
04-02-2017, 09:17 PM

1) play duels
2) get rekt
3) repeat

If you lose 0-3 don't quit, instead go again. and again. and again. until you beat him/her.
that's how you improve.

pancakerz
04-02-2017, 09:45 PM
They don't get better, they're not allowed. Instead they get pushed into a corner by endless valkyrie combo spam, or die before getting a shot off by the power of nippon time dialation light attacks. Attempting to point out the BS gets the people spamming said moves to storm up in a fury of "git gud" and "lol nub." Displaying their intelligence with every mangled syllable.

In my opinion both players have to work to make someone better. For example, if I'm playing my main, I can generally gauge my opponents skill pretty quickly. If they're a low level, and they fail to cgb or parry a few hits in a row, I know they're actually new, and not just a high level player on a new hero. So what I do is I go easy on these folks. I'll usually still beat them in a duel, but I won't go all out and destroy them before they can move. Give them some telegraphed gb's, and stay away from my combos. Give them the chance to learn the mechanics, and learn a bit about my character and how to deal with them.

I'd hope others are the same, but I know that's a lot to ask for, especially from the fighting game/moba community. But I just am moreso in it for the fun and the bantz, than for the win.

FledgeSRondo
04-03-2017, 12:17 AM
Here's how I've been improving:

1) Watch Youtube videos to learn about my warrior and see how advanced players play.
2) Play in Custom Match mode set to Duels against level 3 bots. This way I can practice my warrior's combos/moveset at my own pace in a no-stress no-stakes way, learn the different enemy movesets and figure out how best to react to and approach them with my warrior.
3) When you get the chance, practice playing other heroes and learn about their playstyles too. It's good to learn their movesets to understand your opponent's mindset when you face them.
4) If I have questions about anything, I research or ask people online. Folks are happy to help, even if it's giving advice on how to beat their mains.

The skill you develop is just one small part in improving at the various modes, though. Those require a combination of strategy, awareness, experience and sometimes dumb luck. If possible, having good communication and coordination with teammates helps, along with a little intuition. As the community develops and the meta starts to settle down I wouldn't be surprised if eventually folks start making advanced Youtube guides on map, gear, and team composition strategies for different modes too. Good luck!

DvlDawg15
04-03-2017, 02:10 AM
You stick to one class, and get your butt kicked. And learn from the lessons. Risk your parry costing you your life to get better at timing. Learn the go to combos other classes use on you. You know the valk is going to 1-2-sweep. As soon as she heavies, expect the vortex to start, get away, and then engage again.

It seems in your image you ran into a common problem in domination games on any title(destiny, wow, cod, overwatch, hots) you played a team focused as a team on the objectives and yours went looking for kills, one team simply had better teamwork which is nothing to do with matchmaking... why some people can't figure this out I do not know.

Viruletic
04-03-2017, 02:22 AM
Actually.

In pvp modes you can only hope for the best. If you happen to be on the side without a pro level player, you can bend over, grab your ankles and kiss your arse good bye.

Only one skilled player can tip the match and matchmaking is ... improvable.

Another factor is your frustration tolerance. If you can handle it and you are stubborn enough to deal with light spam, GB spam etc, you might get better over time. Sadly, you don't learn much from betting the flour wiped with your intestine, while players spam "good fight" on the chat. And try to avoid skirmish - its zerg rushing extra ordinaire.

Not necessarily true. Actually not true at all. I've joined games where rep 4+ teams are getting absolutely annihilated by level 5s. It happens way more often than you would think.

And of course, when I manage to turn it around and we're one kill from winning, the game crashes...

xmelesiox
04-03-2017, 05:22 AM

Go Duel and hopefully you'll run into someone like me who's nice enough to train with you or teach you the ropes. I do it all the time when I'm matched up against non-prestige or guys who start the match with, "I'm going to be slaughtered." It's fun, at least for me, to show people the ropes and how to counter each technique. Especially the cheese ones so they can get out there and put up a fight.

Gear Rating HELPS but isn't insurmountable. Practice and knowing what your enemies can do gives you the edge you need. i've prestiged to high gear rating now the Valk, Warlord, Raider and PK. Valk was when she was weak and boy howdy that was a struggle. Raider was the most recent and has been fun. Don't know what's next but I've stomped those 108 gear guys over and over with no gear.

DrExtrem
04-03-2017, 06:24 AM
Not necessarily true. Actually not true at all. I've joined games where rep 4+ teams are getting absolutely annihilated by level 5s. It happens way more often than you would think.

And of course, when I manage to turn it around and we're one kill from winning, the game crashes...

But a higher reputation score does not equal higher skill.

Even very good players play different heroes.

I was specifically talking about highly skilled players and not high rep ones.

tbtsrjc
04-03-2017, 08:21 AM

From my personal experience, I would say that the most important step is finding a class that suits your play style and just stick with that class. If you jump between multiple characters you won't be progressing at an optimal rate.

Second be sure to do your Orders, they grant you a good chunk of XP and steel for upgrades later on. Some Orders are difficult to complete at first but they will get easier with practice.

Until you have the gear that will help you survive against other players, I suggest spending your time doing 1v1 duels. Gear stats are disabled and that's the time you'll use to practice against other players. AI matches are fun and all but they do little in preparing you against real people.

Avoid opening any battle packs and avoid purchasing any until you're at least rep 3, but higher rep will increase your chances of finding higher level gear. If you purchase crates buy the most expensive, you get 5 items and 2 are guaranteed purples if you've reached rep 3; At rep 5 I received 4 purple items from one crate and whatever you don't use you can put towards gear resources for upgrades/cosmetics. Be sure to plot out your build before investing steel and resources. At rep 4 you'll start receiving purples from completed matches.

Hope this helps. A fast way I learned to farm rep is to do Brawl vs AI, eventually your partner will quit and you can just throw the AI from ledges to earn quick XP, this method is incredibly boring, but effective.

Gray360UK
04-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Hope this helps. A fast way I learned to farm rep is to do Brawl vs AI, eventually your partner will quit and you can just throw the AI from ledges to earn quick XP, this method is incredibly boring, but effective.

You can turn off matchmaking when you have the Brawl vs AI box up on your screen, press settings (X on Xbox) and press A to toggle matchmaking on / off) then you start the game faster, no matchmaking wait and every fight you have a bot as your partner.

Capoupacap
04-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Do the contracts, bite on your chew before being level 3 108 and train against bot with friend that has champion status. That's what I did for every character.

Keep 108 player under revenge far from you, you don't stand a chance !

Pope138
04-03-2017, 03:30 PM
As a lot of people have said, fighting AI can help, but be careful as AI in many gamemodes seem to GB and feint hardly at all compared to human players and this can lead to you developing bad habits.
Level 3 bots in custom duels seem to GB and feint a lot more, but you don't get any xp or steel as you train--still worth it imo.

David_gorda
04-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Do duels and brawls against players until you are prestige 3 , no gear in this gamemodes and you learn to play your character and not end up as a noob with fullgear like most People playing the other gamemodes.

Prophit618
04-03-2017, 04:41 PM
My plan when I can pull myself away from Rep 14 main and try to learn/level my alt:

-At Rep 0 and 1, I only use them to complete AI orders.
-At Rep 2 I start using them for PvP Elimination and Skirmish orders where i can as well. I won't in Dominion because I don't want to let the team down that hard. In Skirmish or Elim, my learning has less of an overall impact, and each one teaches me a specific way. Elmination gives me lots of 1v1 practice as you usually get at least one of them a round, while Skirmish teaches me how to deal with multiple opponents.
At Rep 3 I open the chests I've been saving up for so i can have purple gear, at which point I will start playing in Dominion. As I can now play with the stats I'm going to be using more or less from here on out, I feel ready to take the training wheels all the way off. I just reached this point with my Kensei actually, and I can say that as compared to trying to jump into PvP right away (my initial plan), I do a whole lot better than I used to. Having honed the basic skills against bots, and then warmed my way into the free-for-all of Dominion, I feel more prepared and less like a liability. Having reasonable gear helps as well.

tbtsrjc
04-03-2017, 04:57 PM
You can turn off matchmaking when you have the Brawl vs AI box up on your screen, press settings (X on Xbox) and press A to toggle matchmaking on / off) then you start the game faster, no matchmaking wait and every fight you have a bot as your partner.

Great to know, thank you!