PDA

View Full Version : What is "Ranked Mode" in particular?

Illyrian_King
04-02-2017, 01:52 PM
Hello Com!

I was just rewatching the "Post Launch Trailer" and there was said, that the first new "Modes" are going to be Ranked Mode and Tournaments later this year ...

Tournaments are all clear to me, but what is Ranked Mode? Is it just a better kind of matchmaking according to new rank specifics or a all new mode? :confused:

Gray360UK
04-02-2017, 01:54 PM
It's a mode where your results / kills will earn you a rank, and that will place you onto a ranked ladder. It's not about matchmaking as far as I know, but about adding a more competitive element where your performance lets you rise above others in the rankings.

Illyrian_King
04-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Yeah but is it just duelling or what?

I don't get the way how we earn these ranks ...

cragar212
04-05-2017, 12:19 PM
It's the mother of all salt generators!

Seriously though it's usually abit different but in general everyone will be given a base rank. There might be a qualifying type thing to help get an accurate number or they might just say everyone starts at a certain rank, say 1000.

After that basically when you play someone else you're rank will go up or down based on there rank. Its usually pretty complicated but thats just a simple explanation. You could prob google it and look how other games do it.

Gray360UK
04-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Yeah but is it just duelling or what?

I don't get the way how we earn these ranks ...

I don't think we know that yet. They will most likely make it that all modes have a ranked option, like currently you have Vs Player and Vs AI, there will be a 3rd option, Ranked. That's how I would hope to see it done anyway. Essentially each mode would have a ranked ladder associated with it, you could be no.1 in the world at Elimination and no.3 in the world at Brawl, etc

If it is just Duels then I won't be playing, I hate Duels.

Illyrian_King
04-05-2017, 12:58 PM
In other words it's most likely not a whole new Mode with new objectives, but just a new way of matchmaking with currently existing Modes like that Tournament thing, which was also announced ;b

Egotistic_Ez
04-05-2017, 02:06 PM
In other words it's most likely not a whole new Mode with new objectives, but just a new way of matchmaking with currently existing Modes like that Tournament thing, which was also announced ;b

You seriously don't know what ranked is? 90% of competitive games have ranked and non-ranked formats...

suboptiml
04-05-2017, 03:29 PM
I don't think we know that yet. They will most likely make it that all modes have a ranked option, like currently you have Vs Player and Vs AI, there will be a 3rd option, Ranked. That's how I would hope to see it done anyway. Essentially each mode would have a ranked ladder associated with it, you could be no.1 in the world at Elimination and no.3 in the world at Brawl, etc

If it is just Duels then I won't be playing, I hate Duels.

Probably. But building it as an entirely different set of modes will completely split the player base. Something that is used to argue against getting alternative 4v4 modes with stats and feats turned off.

So, we'll get ranked modes that split the entire set of modes and player base by doubling everything, so players can see their name on a list. But we cannot get alternative 4v4 modes where the core combat mechanics aren't undermined (and balance skewed) by feats and stats.

Priorities!

They should just put a ranking system into the core game. Then give each individual player the option to turn off any indicators for it in the hud. That way it can be enjoyed by those who want it and ignored by those who don't. And it doesn't effectively double the amount of modes just for a listing of who wins and loses more.

We already are in a ranking system essentially. We're matched through records. We just can't see it. Hell, k/d is available to see already. All they essentially need to do is let players who want to see where they specifically fall in the matchmaking system actually see it. And then leave an option to for those who are uninterested to see none of it.

Unless I'm missing something, creating an entirely different set of modes just for a rank list is unnecessary. We already are all in a ranking system.

ThePrincePipi
04-05-2017, 09:42 PM
I am gessing the ranked mode is gonna be dominion because it's the flashiest mode they have to make the game sale itself. If it's only 4v4, I won't play play ranked at all, it's too much of a cheese-****show-gangking-gear unbalanced mode at the moments. Too many issues stirred together in a bowl to make a mess.

If it's more duel focused it could be interesting, that said if you don't encounter only shugoki spamming oni charge to rank up.

Gray360UK
04-05-2017, 10:24 PM
I am gessing the ranked mode is gonna be dominion because it's the flashiest mode they have to make the game sale itself. If it's only 4v4, I won't play play ranked at all, it's too much of a cheese-****show-gangking-gear unbalanced mode at the moments. Too many issues stirred together in a bowl to make a mess.

If it's more duel focused it could be interesting, that said if you don't encounter only shugoki spamming oni charge to rank up.

I doubt that to be honest because 4 vs 4 Dominion is too little about individual skill and too much about teamwork, ganging up, Revenge and environmental kills ... how do you put a rank on someone who got 10 of their 14 Takedowns by hitting someone elses opponent, for example?

I dunno, I hope like I suggested above that they just add a ranked version to each current mode, and then at least there will be something for everyone.

Illyrian_King
04-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Probably. But building it as an entirely different set of modes will completely split the player base. Something that is used to argue against getting alternative 4v4 modes with stats and feats turned off.

So, we'll get ranked modes that split the entire set of modes and player base by doubling everything, so players can see their name on a list. But we cannot get alternative 4v4 modes where the core combat mechanics aren't undermined (and balance skewed) by feats and stats.

Priorities!

They should just put a ranking system into the core game. Then give each individual player the option to turn off any indicators for it in the hud. That way it can be enjoyed by those who want it and ignored by those who don't. And it doesn't effectively double the amount of modes just for a listing of who wins and loses more.

We already are in a ranking system essentially. We're matched through records. We just can't see it. Hell, k/d is available to see already. All they essentially need to do is let players who want to see where they specifically fall in the matchmaking system actually see it. And then leave an option to for those who are uninterested to see none of it.

Unless I'm missing something, creating an entirely different set of modes just for a rank list is unnecessary. We already are all in a ranking system.

That'S what I would hope!

You seriously don't know what ranked is? 90% of competitive games have ranked and non-ranked formats...

If I knew, then I wouldn't open this thread perhabs ;)