PDA

View Full Version : The truth regarding the state

Kingrayen
03-31-2017, 01:11 PM
Dear companions,

Anecdote
Honestly, truly; I've been a vivid (online) gamer for over a decade. Never have I felt an urge and necessity to this extend to express observations I feel regarding the state of a game.

Introduction
It's notable that literally every match, we have to endure stability complications. The forum is filled with topics regarding this subject, as you can all see. Would it be wrong to say that this game has been released too soon? That the developers are - naive? I think it would actually be correct. The amount of dissatisfaction expressed throughout the forums does not stem from solely the need to express experiences; it stems from the observation we all made; the observation that this game has an unique potential to be groundbreaking. We want For Honor to be exactly that. And truth be told, it doesn't feel like the team behind For Honor shares this ambition. Whether this is true, is a different subject.

Observation
Throughout the hours of participating in For Honor, it often feels like this game has solely been made available to play ("sandbox"). In this day and age, the current strategy that is being used does not work. I am being generous when I say that the stage For Honor is in should actually be Closed Beta.

Advice
My advice for the team behind For Honor is to observe how other successful online games are keeping their community generally satisfied and growing. In particular I would like to point out the following games; Overwatch, League of Legends (,Rainbow Six Siege) and Heartstone in this regard. Now, I understand not everyone might agree to these references, but no one can deny that they have been succesful over an extended period of time. At the current rate; this will not be the case for For Honor.

Topics
The following subjects require immense consideration:

Stability;
Immersiveness; Top(Ubisoft)-Down(Players) communication (channels), menu interface, faction war
Transparency; In particulat regarding development; While it might be true that not much time has passed since the release date, this subject has been inexorably neglected
Diversity; It's needless to say that to keep players engaged, we need to see diversity. There are many things that can be pointed out regarding this subject; (a personal critique would be towards "footsoldiers", the units have the exact same features. I'm also certain our community craves for more gear diversity. To add an example to this subject; I think the thrill of noticing the same soldier crash from the sky, in the same manner, with the exact same cry, everytime you pass a certain spot, gets old).
Competitive scene; While it must be noted that in the current state of the game, this can not accomplished properly.
Balancing; !
Currency-system.

Needless to say, there are more subjects that require attention. Neither must we forget all the great things that are being done for us. However, we can not idly stand by and watch a game with great potential deter into oblivion.

Call to arms
With that in mind I call for all who have taken the time to read into these observations to add their own to it.

Kind regards,

A worried member of the community

Kingrayen
03-31-2017, 01:14 PM
I'd like to add: English is not my native tongue. So try not to look into the errors I've made in that regard.

Droodlesaurus
03-31-2017, 02:20 PM
The main problem that there is right now is connectivity and in this extend, matchmaking. Because connectivity and matchmaking is so horrendously bad other flaws become way more visable. I don't think players would have had even half the amount of issues they have now if the connectivity and matchmaking was good or even OK'ish. Balancing is an issue that will always occur, even after 100 years of playtesting there will still be an imbalance if you use champions/classes. The problem is that these differences are made worse by the connectivity.

If you look at the player count you can see that For Honor is bleeding players like crazy. After a small month of playing the game a mere 8% of the initial player base is left. Player count going down is a very normal thing, but not like this.

For Honor strives to be a competitive game but has made design choices that contradict that goal. The Developpers should seriously consider to make drastic changes to various systems because almost every aspect of the game has one or several major flaws. I won't be surprised if the game is dead in a couple of months, although don't quote me on that.

Gray360UK
03-31-2017, 02:26 PM
Problems in order of importance

1. P2P related connection / Error Issues
2. Poor matchmaking
3. Revenge as an offensive weapon rather than a 'chance to survive' (Ubisofts own tooltip description).
4. AFK farners

That's about it for me.

I am able to play most of the time without issues, or with minor issues, and none of the above issues actually 'ruin the game' for me. I benefit from Revenge as much as I suffer from it, I overcome poor matchmaking, my team beats the 'better' team or my team is the better team, etc

But yeah, there you go, top 4 issues in my book.

CandleInTheDark
03-31-2017, 02:34 PM
I mostly play duel so I am usually ok myself, I am loving warden vs warden mirror matches, I like to end my chains with a top heavy and that dang crushing counterstrike, sometimesit is a matter of who twitches first with that.

But connection issues are still a thing 4v4, sometimes I can do three or four in five, sometimes itis a matter of don't bother trying so it is rather fortunate I like the one v one aspect of duel better than dominion and only really use the latter to get a chunk of xp when I am near levelling.

Pope138
03-31-2017, 04:23 PM
I can play/enjoy the state the game is in currently, but it does come with more frustration than I'm used to (disconnects). I think I'm one of the lucky ones in that I don't have the major issues a lot of people are reporting.

I'm anxious to get this resolved so we can move on to other, less important issues. I'd like to see a higher framerate on console, but that's not going to happen until the sequel, I'm sure.

Sir_Bukkshot
03-31-2017, 04:52 PM
really the greatest issues boil down to this
1) connectivity: fix that crap first, nuff said
2) Hero balancing: gameplay doesn't matter when you play against broken characters that can win without skill, every character should be able to fight every other character and win with skill
3) Environmental kills: they're way to easy to spam, and being as how countering a guard-break is one of the most difficult parts of the game, this is far too effective against new players and also acts as a deterrent for them. Instakills in a fight between 2 skilled warriors should be just that, not a spamfest to throw a guy off a cliff.
4) Faction war: the craps unbalanced, seriously, it's so obvious by now that the population of the factions is horribly uneven. There is no hope for those in the smaller knight faction to get any rewards from the faction war. And the poor vikings work to get territories all week and the flood of samurai on the weekend wipes it all away. It isn't a long battle, the samurai can match a weeks worth of territories in 2 days with their population. The faction war is dead and it feels like there's no reason to fight it anymore.

Kingrayen
04-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Thank you for your input guys!

How do you feel about the feedback on the Warrior's Den Weekly Livestream. Feel like it's heading in the right direction?

Gray360UK
04-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Thank you for your input guys!

How do you feel about the feedback on the Warrior's Den Weekly Livestream. Feel like it's heading in the right direction?

I really wasn't very happy with the waffle at the start about needing to pioneer a new type of P2P connection infrastructure so that players can really feel the combat blah blah blah. That sounded like utter nonsense to me. I don't know if they really expect us to believe that For Honor couldn't run on dedicated servers and we need to connect to each other to make hitting an opponent with your sword work correctly. Really? I've been gaming for 30 odd years and that's news to me. Very PR speech sounding.

Alustar.
04-01-2017, 01:26 PM
I really wasn't very happy with the waffle at the start about needing to pioneer a new type of P2P connection infrastructure so that players can really feel the combat blah blah blah. That sounded like utter nonsense to me. I don't know if they really expect us to believe that For Honor couldn't run on dedicated servers and we need to connect to each other to make hitting an opponent with your sword work correctly. Really? I've been gaming for 30 odd years and that's news to me. Very PR speech sounding.

I think technologically we are do for a new form of connectivity. We've really only gone from small phone cables to thicker phone cables and fiber optics. I think ten years is long enough to justify doing it better.

There are obvious benefits and drawbacks to both servers and p2p. I see a lot of complaints about both of them but no viable alternatives.

Gray360UK
04-01-2017, 01:38 PM
I think technologically we are do for a new form of connectivity. We've really only gone from small phone cables to thicker phone cables and fiber optics. I think ten years is long enough to justify doing it better.

There are obvious benefits and drawbacks to both servers and p2p. I see a lot of complaints about both of them but no viable alternatives.

But you can't really ask paying customers to take a step backwards while you attempt to take a step forwards. Clearly whatever they are trying to pioneer doesn't work very well ... yet. Now innovation and pioneering is all very well, but do that in your test labs and on your test PCs, make it work, perfect it, then release it. Don't start the process, sell a game that uses it to customers who will quite rightly get fed up when it doesn't work, and then blame your pioneering technology that doesn't work yet. People didn't buy the game so they could be test subjects / guinea pigs in Ubisofts experiments. You need a seperate test environment that you invite some users to play in, like they do with various Insider Programs / Community Test Environments.

Kingrayen
10-07-2017, 09:11 PM
I'd like to see if the community feels these points have been tackled since the date the post was created!?

Halvtand
10-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Stability;
Well, aside from the last few days, stability has only gone up. Recently a new wave of stability (connectivity) issues have surfaced and the team haven't gotten on top of it yet.

Immersiveness; Top(Ubisoft)-Down(Players) communication (channels), menu interface, faction war
Stream once a week-ish with questions from the public. Mods active on the forum. Not sure about Reddit or other places. UI has just now gotten an upgrade. Faction war is still pointless.

Transparency; In particulat regarding development; While it might be true that not much time has passed since the release date, this subject has been inexorably neglected
Weekly streams mostly. Every now and then they talk about upcoming patches, where they want the game to go, reveal new events and stuff like that.

Diversity; It's needless to say that to keep players engaged, we need to see diversity. There are many things that can be pointed out regarding this subject; (a personal critique would be towards "footsoldiers", the units have the exact same features. I'm also certain our community craves for more gear diversity. To add an example to this subject; I think the thrill of noticing the same soldier crash from the sky, in the same manner, with the exact same cry, everytime you pass a certain spot, gets old).
More tiers of gear. New maps with new types of hazards, New heroes with new mechanics. Nothing that really stands out too much or breaks the mold though.

Competitive scene; While it must be noted that in the current state of the game, this can not accomplished properly.
Balance is an ongoing issue. Flicker bug was reportedly patched out. Unlock-tech likewise. Looking for connection manipulators now.

Balancing; !
Yeah, this will never end.

Currency-system.
Steel reward and cost has been adjusted a few times. Salvage management has been changed to one pool instead of faction-specific.

All in all. Stuff has happened, but more needs to be done.

Kingrayen
10-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Stability;
Well, aside from the last few days, stability has only gone up. Recently a new wave of stability (connectivity) issues have surfaced and the team haven't gotten on top of it yet.

Stream once a week-ish with questions from the public. Mods active on the forum. Not sure about Reddit or other places. UI has just now gotten an upgrade. Faction war is still pointless.

Weekly streams mostly. Every now and then they talk about upcoming patches, where they want the game to go, reveal new events and stuff like that.

More tiers of gear. New maps with new types of hazards, New heroes with new mechanics. Nothing that really stands out too much or breaks the mold though.

Balance is an ongoing issue. Flicker bug was reportedly patched out. Unlock-tech likewise. Looking for connection manipulators now.

Balancing; !
Yeah, this will never end.

Currency-system.
Steel reward and cost has been adjusted a few times. Salvage management has been changed to one pool instead of faction-specific.

All in all. Stuff has happened, but more needs to be done.

I have to say I agree with you. I like the steps they are making in the right direction.. I just doubt their budget is big enough to develop certain parts more efficiently.