PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that...

Delectable_Sin
03-29-2017, 04:16 AM
I can see a top attack coming, move my mouse in the proper direction, watch my character put her axes up (zerker) in order to block, and the attack just goes right through the attempted block?

There have been multiple threads on this happening to the Zerker, with no acknowledgement from Ubi what so ever, but I'm curious, does this happen to others?

Mia.Nora
03-29-2017, 04:31 AM
What you describe happens to everyone, not with only block but also with parry. You clearly see the indicator/animation for parry/block being in place; yet the attack goes though.

I tried to explain this before, but since game has so many bigger issues it always got buried in sand of other threads. This is why it happens;

LOCKSTEP: is the method of not allowing the player's game client to perform the action player input, until that action is registered by host/server.

In For Honor lockstep is NOT used. And this game has an inbuild latency of 100+ms delay between another client seeing the input from a player (under best conditions, so it gets worse with high ping players). This according to professional network testing, you can google and find the same test for yourself.

What does that mean? It means when you perform an action your computer and game client performs that action right away. But the action is not authorized until host computer receives that action. If by the time host received that input, it is already too late to block/parry then that attack goes through your attack/block animation. Because simply put, what you see on your screen as block/parry was never authorized to perform in the first place.

Many games with fast pace intentionally avoid using lockstep to keep the gameplay experience feel faster. Path of Exile had that same issue. It was plagued by probably the worst desynch you can ever experience in any game due to this issue combined with how fast paced it was intended to play.

Absence of lockstep does not make a game faster, only make it *feel* faster; by displaying the action of your input before it gets authorized. This sometimes results in situations where action may not get authorized, therefore creating conflicting information on your screen.

Long story short, what you see on your screen is never %100 accurate unless you are host.

Also about that chart saying everyone is a host, it is total bullcr*p. There is a single host in this game, that's why people can crash whole lobby by quitting, or drop players by severing the connection established from those IPs. That chart where all clients says host and arrows pointing each other is just PR crap.

Delectable_Sin
03-29-2017, 05:16 AM
I have actually seen people put their guards up on a top attack that I throw, only for my attack to go through and kill them.

Mia.Nora
03-29-2017, 05:57 AM
I have actually seen people put their guards up on a top attack that I throw, only for my attack to go through and kill them.

Yes absence of lockstep works both way. Thing is; Ubisoft never explained how actually their netcode works. It is just a funky diagram with arrows pointing around. It does not explain what happens in this situation;

Player A is host to authenticate in the case of conflict.
Player B attacks Player C.
Player C blocks Player B.

GameClient of A receives input from GameClient B faster than it receives input from GameClient C. According to Host simulation B attacked successfully.
But at the same time with above data package exchange, B and C GameClients also send each other data packages.
GameClient B receives block input faster than GameClient A does. Simulation on B says block is successful.

Since noone know how this *advanced P2P* works, we can only speculate at this point but probably this is what happens; even if Player B's computer displays a successful block from player C, Host simulation from A overrides that and says it is a landed attack.

This above is likely the case you just mentioned, enemy successfully blocking according to your gameclient but attack still going through.

Window of this happening is too small in terms timeframe, so happens very seldom. Just like those TIE endings where both players kill each other at the same time, a very small timeframe possibility, yet happens.

Delectable_Sin
03-29-2017, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the replies man.

teksuo1
03-29-2017, 06:43 AM
on my 3 geared characters i notice this ; i will hit someone's block and sometimes it'll hit them anyways with a blood splash, damage and everything.

I was under the impression that happened because of my high block damage when i hit someone with low block dmg resistance... maybe ive been wrong all along.
*my low level characters can't seem to acheive it but they fall victim to it.. so it made sense to me.

does this happen in duel-mode? I play dominions almost exclusively so didn't get to test it out much at all.
(no gear over there so if it still happens my theory is confirmed to be bogus.)