PDA

View Full Version : My God What is Wrong with Zerker Block/Parry?

Dr-KaBoom
03-28-2017, 06:57 PM
I started playing the game with Kensei but then switched to zerker as my main pretty early on. I have now gone back to Kensei for a bit and the difference in being able to block/parry is astronomically different. With Kensei its so freakin easy to just block/parry everything. I had never realized how broken Zerkers block/parry window was until now. In fact I think my time with Zerker has made my reflexes god like now on other classes.

Why on earth does the Berzerker have this handicap? Is this a bug? Do the devs care about anything in this game?

xLeapingLizardx
03-28-2017, 07:00 PM
I've played all knight classes to at least renown 1 (some farther obviously) and now started playing the berserker again (played him in the beta) and I don't notice any difference...

Knight.Bishop
03-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Block/parry times are the same for all classes.

When I switch characters I often find it more difficult at first, but that is only because I'm less familiar with the moveset and keeping that in my head vs. having it as muscle memory seems to make the incoming attacks seem faster.

Dr-KaBoom
03-28-2017, 07:05 PM

When I switch characters I often find it more difficult at first, but that is only because I'm less familiar with the moveset and keeping that in my head vs. having it as muscle memory seems to make the incoming attacks seem faster.

Except it is not more difficulty after I switched off the class that I've mained. In fact its ridiculously easy now.

I'm noticing a thread in Viking forum talking about same issue with Zerker so maybe some others have noticed as well.

massive02
03-28-2017, 07:06 PM
nothing is wrong with them? ti's usually takes a bit getting use to, going from a vanguard to an assassin block rhythm

Dr-KaBoom
03-28-2017, 07:10 PM
nothing is wrong with them? ti's usually takes a bit getting use to, going from a vanguard to an assassin block rhythm

What you said makes no sense in the context of this thread.

darksavior1977
03-28-2017, 07:27 PM
OP, do you realize that all of the assassin classes have neutral stance? This means they must actively block all incoming attacks, they cannot just pick a side to block and leave it there. So yes, it is easier to block on your kensei, or any other non-assassin in the game.

Kaeldian
03-28-2017, 07:48 PM
I'd just write it off as part of the reactive blocking system that all the sins use. You'll probably see similar results playing PK or Roach.

Dr-KaBoom
03-28-2017, 08:01 PM
OP, do you realize that all of the assassin classes have neutral stance? This means they must actively block all incoming attacks, they cannot just pick a side to block and leave it there. So yes, it is easier to block on your kensei, or any other non-assassin in the game.

Yes I know about the assassin neutral stance.

Valor_Ash
03-28-2017, 08:09 PM
I started playing the game with Kensei but then switched to zerker as my main pretty early on. I have now gone back to Kensei for a bit and the difference in being able to block/parry is astronomically different. With Kensei its so freakin easy to just block/parry everything. I had never realized how broken Zerkers block/parry window was until now. In fact I think my time with Zerker has made my reflexes god like now on other classes.

Why on earth does the Berzerker have this handicap? Is this a bug? Do the devs care about anything in this game?

You are right, berserker's parry window frame is so tight.

Blocking in different guard stance is a bit slower.

I'm just gonna put it here as I already opened a post discussing everything that's buggy about berserkers (including some videos)

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1616929-Berserker-s-faults-bugs-and-other

PDXGorechild
03-30-2017, 12:59 PM
I agree with the OP, the Berserker parry does seem tighter than the other assassin classes.

I've pretty much exclusively played Berserker, and I've found that I very rarely even attempt to parry. I'll try it if I'm stuck in a corner and exhausted, but in any other situation it's much more reliable to dodge or go for a dodge > guard break.

Even with lightning reflexes, deflect seems pretty redundant for zerker.

corazondedelfin
03-30-2017, 01:53 PM
The only wrong thing with a berserker is being able to kill heros that get stagerred or cannot react so fast to the damn left/right/front infinite chain sh1t, that should NOT exist in first instance... Who the ****s creates an infinite combo in a fighting videogame anyway.

This thread goes nowhere, you can be sure.

Herbstlicht
03-30-2017, 02:50 PM
Oh well, try the other assassins. Or other slower classes. It seems some are very fast with block parry (Kensei feels good in this department) and others .. well, they can dodge deflect at least.
Nevertheless, all in all, for assassin characters to rely on a mix of dodge, deflect, block and parry seems rather right. They are stated as difficult characters.
And especially in 4on4 modes a berserker rushing into a fight can be a real beast. He runs fast and hits like a truck and his dodges really help in spreading pressure and some chaos.

When it comes to high level play .. oh well, i got no idea. People do not complain about berserkers too much, so they seem to be in rather fine shape.

Sincerity117
03-30-2017, 03:10 PM
The only wrong thing with a berserker is being able to kill heros that get stagerred or cannot react so fast to the damn left/right/front infinite chain sh1t, that should NOT exist in first instance... Who the ****s creates an infinite combo in a fighting videogame anyway.

This thread goes nowhere, you can be sure.

If you're getting killed by a zerker infinite chain you are simply just trash at this game. The chain is only infinite from the sides and is interrupted once you block a light in the combo plus if they swing from overhead it's slow as all hell, easily parried, and ends the chain. You just suck and complain more than you practice

Hammelsneid
03-30-2017, 04:19 PM
I understand OP's experience. I main Zerker since open beta and never played another class more than a few levels. Just because I wanted to get as good as possible with the zerker. I'm Rep 16 now with her and often train against the lvl3 Valkyrie Bot to see if got better. Well, once I just for fun switched to Valk (which I played never before) vs the lvl3 valk bot and god I swear I was able to react to the valk bot's incoming light attacks at least twice as good in contrast to my long time played zerker..

and no, I do not think that it's because I just have to care about two of the three directions to block, because I was able to block most of the three light attack chains coming from different directions out of reacting to the indicator. With my zerker I still have a hard time to manage that. No idea what's causing this phenomenon if it is like you say, that all chars should have the same switch time.. any suggestions?

Playing with XBox360 controller on PC fyi..

Herbstlicht
03-30-2017, 04:29 PM
I understand OP's experience. I main Zerker since open beta and never played another class more than a few levels. Just because I wanted to get as good as possible with the zerker. I'm Rep 16 now with her and often train against the lvl3 Valkyrie Bot to see if got better. Well, once I just for fun switched to Valk (which I played never before) vs the lvl3 valk bot and god I swear I was able to react to the valk bot's incoming light attacks at least twice as good in contrast to my long time played zerker..

and no, I do not think that it's because I just have to care about two of the three directions to block, because I was able to block most of the three light attack chains coming from different directions out of reacting to the indicator. With my zerker I still have a hard time to manage that. No idea what's causing this phenomenon if it is like you say, that all chars should have the same switch time.. any suggestions?

Playing with XBox360 controller on PC fyi..

Well, i do practice against Valkyrie bot too, often so even. And my no1 when it comes to parrying//blocking is the Kensei, bad with evasiveness overall Nobushi and with blocking .. ah well, assassins and Nobushi.

But I will ask more directly: do you really think assassins need better blocking abilities overall?
I am not saying Assassins are too strong (well, PK may be) but that i personally like them more offensive. And especially the Berserker seems the "best" out of the assassins. Not the strongest, but he has such an amazing versatile kit that can be utilized in so many different ways. He feels like the perfect offensive character in For Honor, wild, ferocious but with a few weaknesses.

Sincerity117
03-30-2017, 05:11 PM
Well, i do practice against Valkyrie bot too, often so even. And my no1 when it comes to parrying//blocking is the Kensei, bad with evasiveness overall Nobushi and with blocking .. ah well, assassins and Nobushi.

But I will ask more directly: do you really think assassins need better blocking abilities overall?
I am not saying Assassins are too strong (well, PK may be) but that i personally like them more offensive. And especially the Berserker seems the "best" out of the assassins. Not the strongest, but he has such an amazing versatile kit that can be utilized in so many different ways. He feels like the perfect offensive character in For Honor, wild, ferocious but with a few weaknesses.

Please explain to me how you think the beserker has a versatile kit and is the perfect offense character? I mean when he has his offensive feats up yea he's kind of annoying, but outside of that he's the slowest assassin. His gb range is so awful using it outside a deflect is the easiest gb to tech because it's so slow and obvious. He really doesn't have much

GamerErrant
03-30-2017, 05:35 PM
There is definitely some sort of bug with Berserker's block at the moment, I play a ton of different classes and I've noticed consistently that the Berserker's block doesn't always engage within the window that it should (and does with other classes). In my experience it's usually when changing guard after getting hit, something just isn't registering like with other classes and you end up taking repeated hits even though you're tapping guard in the proper direction in plenty of time. There's a few threads in the Viking forum outlining similar experiences, and other bugs with the Berserker.

Dr-KaBoom
03-30-2017, 06:00 PM

Unusual look of things. I thought it was universally understood that berserker is the weakest assassin (slower more telegraphed attacks, terrible zone) and competing for possibly worst class in the game. Don't know how you think it is a versatile class when it has no way to open someone except for feints. There is a reason that Ubisoft has hinted it will be one of the first classes to get a buff.

Delectable_Sin
03-30-2017, 06:46 PM
It isn't just the neutral stance, sometimes my Zerker will move her weapons in the proper direction to block, but the attack goes through the attempted block for some reason. There has been a ton of threads on it, with no acknowledgement at all from Ubi.

I also can't just spam middle click to GB tech, like I can on other classes. I have to wait until the enemy actually touches my Zerker, then hit middle click one time, for it to actually work. If I just mindlessly click middle click over and over it won't GB tech the way other classes do.

AgentCelt
03-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Real Godzerker players don't block or parry. Deflect ftw.

CubanCreature
03-30-2017, 08:06 PM
I have noticed that parrying with the berz is weird when you have to switch stance for the parry as well. On my valk, I can reliably switch guard to top stance and then parry a warden's top light attack, but I have trouble switching stance to parry even slower heavy attacks on my berz. I can't figure out what it is, but it feels like there is a delay between the stance change and when you are able to perform an attack with the berz that is not present on other characters.

Blocking also seems inconsistent. He seems to actually drop his guard if you input the same guard direction twice in a row rapidly. So say someone throws a heavy attack from the right, and I input right guard and switch to it, but input right guard again immediately after but before the heavy hits, the berz drops his guard all together and the heavy gets through. But it doesn't happen every time.

Oddly enough, these problems don't seem to happen on other assassin characters, and they only occur in abut 50% of matches I play. Some matches, I can guard and parry like normal for the whole match, and others, I CONSISTENTLY have problems with it throughout the entire match.

Of course, this is just how it feels. I don't have actual evidence of this, but it certainly feels like this is happening. When it happens, I literally just go for deflects and stop trying to even block anything, but it screws my combos too because they don't come out from the appropriate side.

Vingrask
03-30-2017, 08:31 PM
Please explain to me how you think the beserker has a versatile kit and is the perfect offense character? I mean when he has his offensive feats up yea he's kind of annoying, but outside of that he's the slowest assassin. His gb range is so awful using it outside a deflect is the easiest gb to tech because it's so slow and obvious. He really doesn't have much

He is versatile indeed with the N possibilities for feints that no other hero (Kensei closely) have. I think he can get some adjustments, yes, even I ain't being able to tell what Ubisoft will do, but I manage to beat all classes with equal chances, the cheesy ones included.

He do not have a fast chain like Peacekeeper or Orochi because the point of Berserker is be the feint master. When I manage to lead the flow, every Warlord, Conqueror, Warden, Peacekeeper and Valkyrie get insecure, talking about the most annoying ones. I just love the feeling while I watch those heroes turtle against me and fail in this task because I've got the lead in the minding game and now they can only try defend themselves knowing how the end will be.
The despair on their actions and moves just feed my threat, with they trying to reatreat and escape from my rain of feints and attack directions. My job is done when the enemy stop try parry me and I can land some heavies to push their fear up even more.

Berserker is the best offensive hero of the game, yes. The level I play, Peacekeeper is just another hero, and when she try spam, I call it free punish. She and Orochi aren't suppose to spam, and they do that only against players who refuse to learn how to counter it properly.

YOGZULA
03-30-2017, 11:02 PM

this is blatantly not true. parry timing is the same for all classes, block timing is not. different classes have different guard change speeds.

that said, i don't think berserker is among those with slow guard change speeds

Sincerity117
03-30-2017, 11:10 PM
He is versatile indeed with the N possibilities for feints that no other hero (Kensei closely) have. I think he can get some adjustments, yes, even I ain't being able to tell what Ubisoft will do, but I manage to beat all classes with equal chances, the cheesy ones included.

He do not have a fast chain like Peacekeeper or Orochi because the point of Berserker is be the feint master. When I manage to lead the flow, every Warlord, Conqueror, Warden, Peacekeeper and Valkyrie get insecure, talking about the most annoying ones. I just love the feeling while I watch those heroes turtle against me and fail in this task because I've got the lead in the minding game and now they can only try defend themselves knowing how the end will be.
The despair on their actions and moves just feed my threat, with they trying to reatreat and escape from my rain of feints and attack directions. My job is done when the enemy stop try parry me and I can land some heavies to push their fear up even more.

Berserker is the best offensive hero of the game, yes. The level I play, Peacekeeper is just another hero, and when she try spam, I call it free punish. She and Orochi aren't suppose to spam, and they do that only against players who refuse to learn how to counter it properly.

How is he the feint master? If you see a beserker start with a heavy you know it's going to be a feint because they rarely ever lead with a heavy so it makes it painfully obvious. I dunno what you're talking about but the master of feints and mind games is kensei.

invalid target0
03-30-2017, 11:37 PM
I agree with the OP. Blocking and parrying seem unusually more difficult for me than other classes. Its become such an annoyance that when playing zerk I tend to avoid it altogether.

Hammelsneid
03-30-2017, 11:38 PM

I understand, what you mean, but to be honest.. the only way out of an attack from the enemy shouldn't be deflect. If I can't block, I automatically can't parry, because I think technically it's required to be able to block an attack before being able to parry it. And deflect alone, I don't know.. parrying or deflecting a light attack from a super fast hero.. that's something for the japan-finger-super-pros but honestly not for me, and I think the Zerker shouldn't be a class for japan-fingers only... Isn't it a bit weird, too, that an assassin isn't capable of moving his two axes as fast as or even faster than a girl moving a 3 meter spear and a buckler towards a specific direction?

With light attacks alone you cannot compete against other light attacks, especially against other fast hitters.. so I thing being able to block something out of reaction, whats incoming fast enough already, is not too much to ask, I guess.. don't you think?

RROARGATHORR
03-30-2017, 11:52 PM
I find that block/parry/deflect on zerker are just inconsistent. In some matches I can do it reliably and rarely miss, but others it's like I don't even have a keybind. I just stand there and get hit and I know my timing is spot on... It could be a latency issue, or something else. All I know is that it's a huge problem, because Zerker is already over reliant on feinting to get passed any competent player defence.Forget about trying to use actual combos... Right now Zerker is a pretty good noob stomper against anyone who can't block, but at high level play in order to do well with him you have to be noticeably more skilled as a player than most other classes. And as I mentioned earlier, that skill is limited to feints and light attacks.. I feel the toolset is wasted on Zerker as fights become boring turtle fests in high level play. Shame.

Delectable_Sin
03-31-2017, 12:07 AM
Real Godzerker players don't block or parry. Deflect ftw.

Except that dodge inputs don't work during certain parts of the fight.