PDA

View Full Version : Why An Assassin's Creed: Japan may finally be coming! [Speculation]

Sorrosyss
03-25-2017, 05:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wn31JPJ.jpg

Whenever a conversation about potential future game settings comes up, Japan is often one of the most frequently mentioned. It is undeniably a fan favourite, and usually features highly on any online polls.

In recent game releases, we've seen more and more fan favourites coming to the fore - the French Revolution, Victorian London, and supposedly Egypt this year. But could we finally be heading to the Land of The Rising Sun? Lets look at some evidence...

The Great Backtrack

http://i.imgur.com/4E3LrTL.jpg

"Ubisoft said they'd never do Japan."

You see this banded around by fans alot, and it mostly seems to stem from an interview (https://gamerant.com/assassins-creed-settings-egypt-japan-ww2-brian-142025/) with Ubisoft Creative Director Alex Hutchinson in 2012, just prior to the release of Assassin's Creed III. Here he mentioned that the likes of Egypt and Japan were 'boring' ideas for settings.

However, in 2014, just prior to the release of Unity the stance seems to have changed (http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/10/29/ubisoft-assassins-creed-in-feudal-japan-would-feel-too-familiar) to saying that the setting would feel familiar - but would not rule it out. This backtrack is even more interesting when you consider that another previously ruled out setting, Egypt, is supposedly this year's release.

Sensō-ji Temple

http://i.imgur.com/LY6bNwc.jpg

In 2013, the above image appeared in the Art of Assassin's Creed Black Flag book. (Brought up on this very forum (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1003192-Mind-blown!-Ubisoft-gave-us-Unity-Victory-and-AC-VII-locations-back-in-2013!!).) It was a fascinating image, as it has successfully predicted 2014's Unity with the image of the Notre Dame Cathedral, and 2015's Syndicate with the image of the Houses of Parliament. There remains one location within the image that is unaccounted for; Sensō-ji temple.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2i9l75x.jpg

The temple is one of the oldest in Tokyo, and to date has not featured within a game. Interestingly enough, within the extras for the home release of the Assassin's Creed movie, is a brief image that appears with a series of co-ordinates. When converted they correspond to several locations (most of which are already featured in games), and what is one of these locations? Yep. 35.7148, 139.7967 – Sensō-ji Temple, Tokyo, Japan

http://i.imgur.com/UX7MM4l.png

The For Honor Connection

For those unaware, For Honor is a recent Ubisoft release that allows players to engage in complex duelling matches. The game runs on the same engine as Assassin's Creed, Anvil, and it has been noted how certain animations from Arno have been used on some of the characters within the game.

http://i.imgur.com/otsFL2Z.jpg

What is more interesting is that one of the factions within the game are the Samurai. There are several different classes, and a wide variety of armor types and weapons that would be particular to Japan. It has been suggested that some portions of the single player campaign may even have been lifted directly from a seperate Assassin's Creed game in development, as there are assets and locations that make little sense - such as an area filled with practicing Samurai NPCs, a river with boats, and bamboo areas. These are starkly different from other parts of the campaign, where for the most part the existing multiplayer maps are repurposed to tell the story.

http://i.imgur.com/MUcAN6z.jpg

The Legendary Concept Artist

Vin Hill was made famous on the internet for his excellent fan art (https://vinhillart.wordpress.com/wips/), that depicted a Japanese Assassin's Creed. His work was so staggeringly well done, that he eventually joined the Osaka Ubisoft studio in Japan, where he was a 2D artist working primarily in concept art. Thinking about this logically, if you wanted to do concept art for a Japanese AC game, where better than to use local talent?

Vin's LinkedIn page states that he has since worked on an 'Unannounced Project'. What could it be?

http://i.imgur.com/3CRkfh1.png

More 2016 - 2017 Hints

In November 2016, a new map (Skyscraper) was added to Rainbox Six Siege. Within it, a Samurai outfit with an Assassin logo can be seen. An Easter Egg sure, but an interesting one.

http://i.imgur.com/fzfrzTh.jpg

The Titan Comics line Uprising seems to be going out of its way to hammer us with Katana imagery. Coincidence?

http://i.imgur.com/oiCnGTU.png

In a recent Reddit AMA, Assassin's Creed Head of Content - Aymar Azamia cited Edo Japan as his favoured dream location. Coincidence? :p

http://i.imgur.com/sbnJ84U.png

The Edo period of Japan writes the story of itself. Dominated by Tokugawa shoguns, it was a time of oppression within the country. The perfect time period for a fallen Samurai (or Ninja) to rise up against this new Templar assisted order, and join the Assassin Brotherhood. With all of the fascinating myths and lore of Japan, there is plenty of potential for Isu artifacts too.

At a time when complaints of familiar settings (Europe) are repeated, the Japanese architecture and landscape filled with blossom trees and bamboo could not be further removed from the likes of Egypt or Europe. It would be a compelling and fresh outlook from a continent often overlooked by the franchise to date. In my view, the hints are starting to stack up that something is coming.

Oh and one final thought. The infamous user survey of 2012 which asked players about potential settings. Look how many settings we have ticked off that list now. One remains...

The violent conflicts of the Imperial Dynasties of Medieval China (AC Chronicles China)
The advent of the mighty British Empire during Victorian England (Syndicate)
The invasion of the Americas by the Spanish Conquistadors (Assassin's Creed Titan Comic)
The confrontation between the British Colonists and native Americans during the American revolution of the 18th Century (AC3)
The overthrow of the Tsar Empire by the Communists during the Russian Revolution (AC Chronicles Russia)
The Warlord Battles in Feudal Japan (???)
The rise of Caesar’s Empire in Ancient Rome (Les Deux Royaumes comic book)

Don't forget poor Clay's little doodle either.

http://i.imgur.com/HLj9IhN.png

SixKeys
03-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Aymar mentioning the setting almost makes me less inclined to believe they're going there, lol. When they have a game already under development in a certain time period, they never come out openly and say they would like to use that setting because they know people will take it as confirmation.

However, I'm 99% sure AC will go to Japan at some point. They've been doing almost exclusively fan favorite settings/time periods since AC4. When they said AC would never go to Japan, that was years ago and at this point I believe they're not treating anything as off-limits. We might even see World War 2 one day (God forbid).

Personally I don't care since Japan has never interested me as a setting. I would much rather see some lesser known places. I love it when AC teaches me history I'm not already aware of. So many people are familiar with Japanese history that I worry if there would be any surprises left.

Sushiglutton
03-25-2017, 05:37 PM
I dunno, not sure I'm convinced :).

I mean Ubi has clearly considered Japan (as proven by the survey etc). And for each setting they are thinking about perhaps they request some concept art? So the image from BF could be "real". Question is if they had allready decided at that point and if that decission means anything today after all that has happened?

One thing I've always wondered about For Honor is it's originated as a prototype for a new combat system for AC. I think that would make a lot of sense actually. Like they tried to reimagine combat for AC, thought it was perhaps to difficult and decided to turn it into its own thing instead?

Fatal-Feit
03-25-2017, 06:14 PM
and it has been noted how certain animations from Arno have been used on some of the characters within the game.

Can you show some examples? I'm fairly certain the animations are all new, or else I would have already picked up on them throughout the tests. If people are referring to the finishers the Valkyrie has, they are not reused animations, they just look similar. They are completely different if compared side by side.

One thing I've always wondered about For Honor is it's originated as a prototype for a new combat system for AC. I think that would make a lot of sense actually. Like they tried to reimagine combat for AC, thought it was perhaps to difficult and decided to turn it into its own thing instead?

For Honor originated as a control scheme idea for sword fighting after its director, Jason Vandenberghe, took a German Longsword training. He had been pitching the game for over 10 years before his idea sparked someone's interested and he began prototyping 4-5 years ago with the team who developed the Naruto games. Afaik, it was always going to be for a new IP and more of a successor to games like Bushido Blade than something like AC.

ArmanYeghoyan
03-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Omg ! The feudal Japan is my favorite time period either.I hope we will have the game in this setting in future :o:

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/004/313/758/large/vin-hill-10995909-402116289951872-6328954940662445517-o.jpg?1482329005

ze_topazio
03-25-2017, 06:36 PM
My body is ready, only thing better would be Portugal, the logical best setting, a shame nobody knows that. :p

darthmarticus
03-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Another excellent post, no one beats you when it comes to AC :)

m4r-k7
03-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Really interesting points. I reckon the series will definitely go there, but maybe not until the next generation of consoles. Either way I am excited :)

Megas_Doux
03-25-2017, 10:39 PM
At this point I just want a good 8/10 AC game no matter what the setting is. With that in mind, I developed an animosity towards "Feudal Japan" due its advocators feelings of "It will solve AC problems and I'll be the best thing ever cause ninjas".

FeakFrost
03-26-2017, 01:41 AM
The concept artist said this in his art page back in 15', "Ubisoft saw it, they were even kind enough to send me a free copy of AC:Unity and offer me a job in Japan! However, they don’t have any interest in making an Assassin’s creed in Japan."

But still, AC in Asia will come sooner or later regardless of what Ubisoft had said, they once told us that they will never do one in Egypt, and look what happened.

Rugterwyper32
03-26-2017, 02:12 AM
At this point I just want a good 8/10 AC game no matter what the setting is. With that in mind, I developed an animosity towards "Feudal Japan" due its advocators feelings of "It will solve AC problems and I'll be the best thing ever cause ninjas".

Basically this. I can see it being Japan, and that's kinda cool, but I've this "ugh" feeling towards the idea because of it. There's some neat elements to the setting and whatnot, but at the same time... yeah. And I'm with SixKeys as well, I like the idea of more obscure settings. But hey, if it works, I've no issue with it.

Nice catches though, gotta say.

Helforsite
03-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Basically this. I can see it being Japan, and that's kinda cool, but I've this "ugh" feeling towards the idea because of it. There's some neat elements to the setting and whatnot, but at the same time... yeah. And I'm with SixKeys as well, I like the idea of more obscure settings. But hey, if it works, I've no issue with it.

Nice catches though, gotta say.
Yeah, I have personally come around to liking Japan as a setting myself, but I see the risk of it becoming cliche very fast if you dont handle it well. On the other hand, Ninja's are really cool and I think the setting would lend itself very well to a female protagonist, which is something I really, really want since Syndicate.
About obscure settings: I would love for them to make a game in a setting that we didnt know we wanted to explore and to make a game in a setting they love. For me pre 500 BC Ancient Egypt would fall under the obscure catergory, but we seemingly wont get that either, because people are praising same-protagonist trilogies like they are the second-coming-.-

rain89cp
03-27-2017, 07:37 AM
It's wayy too late. People dont care about Assassins' Creed anymore like they used to, I know for me at least that is true.
I used to fight for AC in Japan/China soo hard for many years, now the series has gone to complete garbage, over-redundancy in Europe, same old same old game-play and setting has numbed this series down soo much. I dont think it can even make a come back.

Witcher 3 has raised the bar too high for UBI.

ColdBloodedVet
03-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Witcher 3 has raised the bar too high for UBI.

Even though they are fairly different games, Witcher 3 has a lot that the AC franchise could take from it. I get every AC game on release day and I was pretty satisfied but my expectation for open world games is very high after 240 hours with the withcher. The story, the unlocks, characters, the SIDE QUESTS. I hope the statement about the nextAC being closer to the witcher is true. I love the concept of feudal Japan too. I think I would enjoy it more than Egypt honestly. Only time will tell.

Megas_Doux
03-28-2017, 01:58 AM
Basically this.....

Speaking of which........

I used to fight for AC in Japan/China soo hard for many years.....

Unless we are talking about a gameplay element so unique and well done that makes -almost- forget the rest of the bare bones or at least not at its full potential elements -AC IV- the setting alone DOES NOT make the game, period. If AC Unity was set during the Boxers Rebellion instead of the French Revolution chances are it would've been, more or less, the same game with the SAME outcome.

Then, I see a contradiction

Now the series has gone to complete garbage, over-redundancy in Europe.

You criticize Ubi for being too over redundant with European locations, blaming them alone for what you believe is the downfall of the franchise while down there:

The Witcher 3 has raised the bar too high for UBI.

You praise a game that, and I don't aim to offend anyone, couldn't be more European in regards of itssetting and lore... You know, proving my point in the process that the setting ALONE doesn't really matter that much as long as it respects the parameters of logic of what is expected from the franchise..

The Witcher franchise as mostly its third game is LEGENDARY not because is based of a series of books that, at the same time, are based on overall European and particularly Slavic folklore but due the fact while SUPER capable, those guys at CD Projekt Red CARE about their customers more than like 99% of the other gaming companies out there thee days.

rain89cp
03-28-2017, 04:47 AM
Ok, The Witcher 3 was LEGENDARY, not because it was set in Europe. It was LEGENDARY because everything about the game was done with QUALITY execution, everything from voice acting, story telling, quest integration, the flow of the entire game, combat system, animations, and the believable-ness of the world (I'd say a lot has to do with it being a book adaption, since it already had all the lore and everything written and thought it for the devs to pull inspiration from, so in the end, everything tied well together, there are no lose ends or plotholes of any sort)

Now, I fought for Japan/China as a setting for AC back then because I cared about the AC franchise doing well. But not anymore, because most games Ubisoft come out with are half-assed quality, only sold by the concept but not the gameplay, there's always something lacking from their games.
And also, the franchise died because not only was it repetitive to set the game in Europe for so many games, but they also dumbed down the parkour executions, character animations, and story.

Speaking of which........

Unless we are talking about a gameplay element so unique and well done that makes -almost- forget the rest of the bare bones or at least not at its full potential elements -AC IV- the setting alone DOES NOT make the game, period. If AC Unity was set during the Boxers Rebellion instead of the French Revolution chances are it would've been, more or less, the same game with the SAME outcome.

Then, I see a contradiction

You criticize Ubi for being too over redundant with European locations, blaming them alone for what you believe is the downfall of the franchise while down there:

You praise a game that, and I don't aim to offend anyone, couldn't be more European in regards of itssetting and lore... You know, proving my point in the process that the setting ALONE doesn't really matter that much as long as it respects the parameters of logic of what is expected from the franchise..

The Witcher franchise as mostly its third game is LEGENDARY not because is based of a series of books that, at the same time, are based on overall European and particularly Slavic folklore but due the fact while SUPER capable, those guys at CD Projekt Red CARE about their customers more than like 99% of the other gaming companies out there thee days.

Helforsite
03-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Now, I fought for Japan/China as a setting for AC back then because I cared about the AC franchise doing well. But not anymore, because most games Ubisoft come out with are half-assed quality, only sold by the concept but not the gameplay, there's always something lacking from their games.
And also, the franchise died because not only was it repetitive to set the game in Europe for so many games, but they also dumbed down the parkour executions, character animations, and story.
I dont know what you are doing here, if you are not a fan anymore? Try to ruin it for the rest of us?
It may sound a bit harsh, but I have had it with all these people dumping on Ubisoft and their games which they havent even played in some cases.
Ubisoft games are in no say perfect, but they are also far from being as bad as some people claim and mostly up to industry standard. That that standard is not very high is another point alltogether.
Now, I believe that AC has come along way in terms of gameplay and graphics already and if they can improve upon the gameplay even further, especially in regards to enemy AI, and focus on delivering us a meaningful narrative driven experience where sidemissions, collectibles and other sideactivities really tie into that narrative in a meaningful way than we will have a truly great game in our hands!

Journey95
08-17-2017, 02:33 AM
Feudal Japan needs to happen after the Ancient games (we know there will be more because Ubisoft loves to reuse assets). Its such an interesting and unique setting.

Journey95
08-17-2017, 02:34 AM
Aymar mentioning the setting almost makes me less inclined to believe they're going there, lol. When they have a game already under development in a certain time period, they never come out openly and say they would like to use that setting because they know people will take it as confirmation.

However, I'm 99% sure AC will go to Japan at some point. They've been doing almost exclusively fan favorite settings/time periods since AC4. When they said AC would never go to Japan, that was years ago and at this point I believe they're not treating anything as off-limits. We might even see World War 2 one day (God forbid).

Personally I don't care since Japan has never interested me as a setting. I would much rather see some lesser known places. I love it when AC teaches me history I'm not already aware of. So many people are familiar with Japanese history that I worry if there would be any surprises left.

Yeah the American and French Revolutions sure aren't well known..same for the Golden Age of Piracy. Ubisoft has only been doing generic settings since the Ezio Trilogy ended. Most people have no idea about Japan#s history in comparison to America's or European countries

strigoi1958
08-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Personally I do not care where AC games are set, I do like the idea of keeping within acceptable limits of where historical Knights Templar members may have gone after they were disbanded. I do not see Japan as one of those places. The cliche of ninja and samurai swords is popular with some but I also remember it having some opposing it. Also looking back and notable historic people in previous games they have almost all been recognisable to me, but apart from Emperor Hirohito (and makers of Japanese motorcycles... hey I'm a lifelong biker ;) ) I cannot name 1 historic notable Japanese person. I then googled the top 100 notable historic Japanese people and although the list named about 25% who were not Japanese, I can honestly say I do not know what any of them did to become notable.

Japan would probably serve better as a MD protagonists location.

And if it proves to be a setting and we are just ninjas with samurai swords and throwing stars in a place with forgettable historic figures, I'll still enjoy it. I'd enjoy it if it were set in outer space or as eskimos... but regardless of how popular any of those 3 settings are with fans, and despite my own indifference to where AC games are set.... is Japan a place that people think of when they think of Assassins and Templars? to me, no.

I feel we barely touched on North and south America. While Europe, Asia, The Middle East and Scandinavian countries still have a wealth of untapped beautiful cities and settings that would better serve as AC settings.

Whenever I read about what fans want I instantly picture Homers car from the simpsons... (if you have never watched it, a car company lets an average person design a car for the average person... and it ends up as a monstrosity.)

cawatrooper9
08-17-2017, 02:55 PM
Yeah the American and French Revolutions sure aren't well known..same for the Golden Age of Piracy. Ubisoft has only been doing generic settings since the Ezio Trilogy ended. Most people have no idea about Japan#s history in comparison to America's or European countries

Haha, fair enough. I think the common argument is that while some of those settings (such as the American Revolution) are common in RTS games, they're not widely seen in in third person action games on consoles. I mean, consider even that we have third person action games featuring sixteenth century Istanbul and the Atlantic during the Seven Years War- it's kinda cool to think about.

Pirate games are pretty common, but generally aren't all that historical (Sid Meiers being sort of an exception).

But I think you bring up a really good point- while games using a Feudal Japan aesthetic are extremely common, they too are generally less than historical. As someone who previously didn't want a Japan game too badly, you've done a lot to win me over with that logic.

JamesFaith007
08-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Yeah the American and French Revolutions sure aren't well known..same for the Golden Age of Piracy.

To be honest, for me American Revolution was quite unknown part of history. In school we only spoke about it maybe half hour? We mostly focus on our own more then thousand years history and rest of Europe.

Charles Lee, Paul Revere, Israel Puthan and many other? Never hear about them before. Battles? I knew only about naval battle near Charleston. Other events? Nothing except Boston Tea Party and Continental Congress.

But f.e. in AC 2 I knew most of historical persons and even recognized Savonarola in first scene where he took Apple. Well known is quite relative when you are speaking about game played around whole world.

strigoi1958
08-17-2017, 07:38 PM
I could accept China more as a setting than Japan given the links between Britain and China, also the chinese Boxers rather than ninja's is less cliche. China has a much more richer selection of famous buildings and landmarks than Japan, like, the forbidden city, the terracotta army, the great wall and the Potala palace... I cannot think of any famous landmarks in Japan. When we look at how the historical landmarks and building have starred in previous games I struggle to think of anything Japan has to offer. Even though I cannot recall any notable Japanese people I can think of Chinese, Confucius, Sun Tzu (anyone interested in military strategy would probably have read his book "the art of war"), Empress Xiao-Qin (sometimes known as Ci-xi) probably the most powerful woman in the world at that time in the most corrupt political setting ever. And Wong Fei-Hung (I only know him from the movie that mentions him ) but I did google this in the spoiler that is quite interesting

Edit Seeing how well the movies Shanghai noon and Shanghai Knights did by putting martial arts in a new setting, I'd have no problem accepting Japanese Templars and Assassins sent to find a PoE or assassinate a famous person in a city with better historical buildings and people, But if you asked 1000 people to name a historical building, events and person, I doubt any Japanese would come to mind but the Taj Mahal, the pyramids, Venice, the Parthenon, Columbus, Magellan, Marco Polo, Vasco de Gama, Shakeseare, Van Gogh, Lenin, Tolstoy, Genghis Khan, Nostradamus, Abe Lincoln, Voltaire, Catherine the Great, Mozart, Beethoven, Cassanova, Leif Eriksson (the explorer not the actor :) ) Garribaldi, The Fall of Constantinople, Caesar, Nero, Cleopatra, Imhotep, The hundred years war, The Mongol conquests, The American Civil war, Hannibal crossing the alps, The Roman empire, The Trojan Horse would probably all get mentioned. A historical game in a setting without notable buildings, events and people probably is not right, regardless of how well it is liked.

Wong Fei-Hung was born in 1847 in the Fushan district of China. He died in 1924 of natural causes. His contributions to modern day Hung-Gar are unmatched, and can be considered one of the forefathers of modern day martial arts. He was renowned for protecting the weak and helping the poor. Wong Kay-Ying was his father, who was a physician and great martial arts master also.. Wong Fei-Hung's father ran a famous medical clinic called Po Chi Lam, and Wong Fei-Hung grew up there, assisting his father. He learned traditional Chinese medicine, and also learned many important values such as generosity and compassion. Wong Kay-Ying always treated a patient, even if he or she couldn't afford any treatment.

The Ch'ing Dynasty consisted of Manchu emperors, who had conquered China from there home in Manchuria. They were foreign invaders to the southern Chinese. The southern Shaolin Temple in ***ien was a place where the resistance would go to train to fight against the Ch'ing. The temple was first burned down in 1734, but the few monks and students who survived traveled across China teaching their skills to others worthy enough along the way. Variations on the Southern Shaolin styles soon emerged such as Wing Chun (Bruce Lee's original style) and Hung Gar Kung Fu (Wong Fei-Hung's style). The father of modern day Hung-Gar was Hung Hei-Kwun (another martial arts master that was portrayed by Jet Li in New Legend of Shaolin).

At first Wong Fei-Hung's father was reluctant to teach him Hung-Gar, but his martial arts training soon began by his father's teacher, Luk Ah Choi. Luk Ah Choi taught Wong Fei-Hung the basics of Hung Gar. After, Wong Kay-Ying took over his son's training. By his early 20's, Wong Fei-Hung had made a name for himself as a dedicated physician and a martial arts prodigy. In addition to becoming a master of Hung-Gar, he created the tiger-crane style and added fighting combinations now known as the "Ten Forms Fist / Sup Ying Kuen", which consisted of the set of 10 individual fighting stances of: Dragon, Tiger, Crane, Snake, Leopard, Wood, Metal, Earth, Fire, and Water. Wong Fei-Hung was also skilled with many weapons, especially the long wooden staff and the southern tiger fork. On one occasion where he utilized his skill with the staff was when he defeated a thirty-man gang on the docks of Canton (Similar scene is Once Upon A Time in China I). He also protected the weak and poor from both criminal gangs and government forces. Wong Fei-Hung, like his father before him was know as one of the TEN TIGERS of CANTON. A title bestowed on the best of the best martial artists of the time.

Wong Fei-Hung's son, Wong Hawn-Sum, followed his father's ways of defending the weak. Unfortunately, he was killed in the 1890's after being gunned down by the gang Dai Fin Yee. After this tragedy, Wong Fei-Hung vowed never to teach his remaining 9 sons martial arts to protect them from challengers seeking fame.

If ever there really existed a true hero of martial arts, a person worthy of that title would definitely be Wong Fei-Hung. This website and online community is a tribute to that great hero Wong Fei-Hung.

RVSage
08-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Would be a great setting for a AC game, considering they are going more RPG. Would be fantastic and be the

joshoolhorst
08-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Well with Last Descendants two covering a bit of China and a AC anime in development I can see this happen but I don't know seems a bit cliche to because NINJAS so long they don't cut of heads I am more oke with I do love somebody finally make a open world Historical Japan game

strigoi1958
08-17-2017, 11:39 PM
Also.... as older ac games seem to have been downloading Chinese language packs recently, and China being 25% of the worlds population.... A game set in China might smash any previous ac game sales record from sales in China alone.

Bruce_Waynes
10-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Frankly im sick of waiting. EVERYONE wants AC in Japan and there complete idiots for nor releasing it by now. They would make TONS of cash by doing so, the last good AC game was Rogue mainly for the fact that you were fighting against the brotherhood. I enjoyed Unity only for the customization and Syndicate was horrible. But seriously F!@$ing EGYPT!!! What are you going to do for the entire game?! Survive the extreme desert heat!? Seriously theres nothing out there but sand and pyramids! I feel like we already had this in the first game (Middle Eastern Scenery.) Its more or less going to be the same damn thing. I have 0 interest in the Egypt AC and i will not be purchasing.

P.S. Even the background of this web page is 95% SAND!!!

RedSpider
10-13-2017, 12:04 AM
Having read the for/against arguments for a Japan setting here, I'm more torn than ever. No doubt, it would be an absolutely stunning game visually; but it just seems rather cliche. I really liked @strigoi1958's analogy about Homer Simpson's car. Sometimes people think they know what they want, and they have this idea in their head that it's the best thing ever; but when it's put into practice, it doesn't work out too well.
It also reminds me of the old "never meet your heroes" adage. At times, the idea of/yearning for something can actually be better than the actual thing.

If Japan was handled properly, I'd happily eat humble pie. The potential for a great game is there; but due to such high expectations, it could easily fall flat on its face and leave many extremely disappointed.

On a side note, I'd really like to see India/Russia/China in a proper game setting, as well as seeing AC cover more vague/lesser known points in history. They have so much to play around with, there's no reason to run out of ideas.

strigoi1958
10-13-2017, 02:18 AM
India and Russia have both been mentioned before and are perfect settings when you consider the famous buildings and landmarks, the wealth of historical periods, wars and political upheaval and some well known people.

RA503
10-15-2017, 08:39 AM
By the ''Empire'' Leak next game will be Greece .

lydell070898
11-01-2017, 10:40 PM
I do hope that we can go to Japan one day and I hope the main character can be a female Assassin character with her own storyline

Blasze.
01-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Well Japn would be visually stunning considering the technology, but well I personally more interested about South East Asia.
I mean who knows anything about that damned part of the world except their own citizen. Hell even their own citizens mostly don't care about their own history.
Imagine the visuals on Hindu and Buddhist temples, Angkor Wat, Borobudur, Prambanan in the era of the kingdoms of Ayutthaya, Srivijaya, Majapahit, Balinese kingdoms, or maybe mix it up with colonial era of indigenous vs european colonists in the time of Malacca Kingdom, etc, etc.
It's like the most forgotten part of the world, it's even the poorest now.

RyuTheRonin
01-10-2018, 02:09 AM
Hmmm, it being in Japan would have to go for the Feudal War period, or Meji Restoration Period. I would not mind a it. But would like to see a game set in the Spanish Inquisition era, or something else where.

KillswitchUbi
10-25-2018, 08:24 AM
After almost perfecting the RPG open world, combat and stealth in Assassins Creed Odyssey i believe it's the perfect time for a game set in Japan. I personally think it would be the best one yet, Japan is one of the most beautiful places on earth and there's plenty of history to go by. Not to mention " The Way of the Samurai" style combat or moving around like a ninja on the rooftops of Japan to jump down and take out a guard with you're beautifully crafted katana. I really hope they work on something like this is next, it's the perfect time for it.

hckh1991
10-25-2018, 12:59 PM
IN fact Layla Hassan mentions Lisbon and Artic in the game.

Sorrosyss
10-31-2018, 03:16 PM
IN fact Layla Hassan mentions Lisbon and Artic in the game.

That's a reference to the two Isu sites in Assassin's Creed Rogue. :)