1.JaVA_Hornet
08-12-2004, 01:14 PM
This evening i have read many details
about joysticks and throttles.

I want to buy a Saitek x45 + throttle but
I read that you have a small right hand
to issue the joystick and that its difficult
to handle the rocket button. The throttle
has the same problem too to handle quickly.

Is this true?

The hotas cougar is much too expansive. (e.370)
I have a microsoft sidewinder 2 and I am
satisfied with it but i want to have a seperate
throttle.

Can someone tells me what to do.

1.JaVA_Hornet
08-12-2004, 01:14 PM
This evening i have read many details
about joysticks and throttles.

I want to buy a Saitek x45 + throttle but
I read that you have a small right hand
to issue the joystick and that its difficult
to handle the rocket button. The throttle
has the same problem too to handle quickly.

Is this true?

The hotas cougar is much too expansive. (e.370)
I have a microsoft sidewinder 2 and I am
satisfied with it but i want to have a seperate
throttle.

Can someone tells me what to do.

Sana_HvJ
08-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi,

first of all let me say: GREAT DECISION

I just bought me a X45 two weeks ago and it'S really worth every penny i spent on it.

To answer your question - yes, i have to admit it IS a little huge for small handed persons - i'm one, too.

But i already got used to it works perfectly for me.

The fun you'll have with this thing will make up for the 'little handycap'.

Nub_322Sqn
08-12-2004, 01:52 PM
I had a X45 as well and the throttle is ok but the stick is far to big and clumsy for my taste.

I went back to my good old Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB and got me a CH USB Throttle device instead.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rcma/banners/Nubarusbanner.jpg

Taylortony
08-12-2004, 01:54 PM
I do not have an issue with the X45 as i own one and i do not have large hands, I would say I also own a Cougar and i do have an issue with that as it is bigger and uncomfortable to use.... can you not go in a pc shop and try the x45 out for size? it is a beautiful stick and i have had it for many a year now. some people use both the throttle and the Sidewinder as well http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif so you can have the best of both worlds if you do not get on with the stick part, just use the sidewinder and the x45 throttle but put the x45 stick out of the way........but i do feel you will not be dissapointed http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1.JaVA_Hornet
08-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Thank you for informing me.
Today i have ordered a Saitek x45 + throttle.
The only thing in Holland is
that these joysticks are out of stock.

So i have to wait for it, maybe
2, 3 months.

rgds

SparrowThree
08-13-2004, 07:27 AM
I recently switched form an Cyborg EVO to an X45 and think that it was money well spent. Takes a while to get used to the rocker switch rudder control, but a great hotas none the less.

Marek_Steele
08-13-2004, 08:10 PM
small review from a newbie to hotas and only a il2 casual player:

I've bought one too 2 weeks ago coming from a sidewinder precision 2. I also share the small hands problem, for the joystick it's just a question of holding it "higher", your thumb won't problems to reach all the buttons, even the hats can be operated with minimum contact, no problem then with the pinky shift that will be operated with the tip of the hook. For the red button, the only trouble is to take the cap out, I can't do it with a single quick movement from my thumb. Either way, I can't say having small hands mattered for my with this stick (I found the precision 2 harder for the thumb due to it's "low" holding position.
For the throttle the biggest concern is the rudder (even tough I'm much more precise with it, and I use twist since the original MS 3d pro!), I find it very hard to operate when pressing left (pinky), the main hat is well placed even if operating the rudder at the same time, the thumb button is easy as well but operating the mouse hat and rudder is a little difficult since the pinky will stretch too much(not worth to even mention the mouse button).

Vs the sidewinder I found a level of control that I would never expect, and I'm only talking about the basic axes. Landing and aim improved in the first hour of use! When firing the cannon the stick feels more "solid" since you aren't twisting it too and it's much easy to fire guns for some sustained time while aimming.

Now for small problems (wich I'd like to have some feedback to know if these issues are normal, please), I find the base a little light (before I played with joy over my lap, now I have to use both on table), if you get too much excited they might slide a little but my table might be parte of the issue. Aux is a little hard to go 1-2, most times I do 1-3-2, but it's a question of habit, I can swear that when I leave it sitting for some days I have to unscrew the trottle to make it lighter, but it's probable that's only the lack of hab.
Axes:
Pots on sliders are a little noisy on edges, sometimes when I go full on throttle or zero, it goes 1% or 99% (it would happen on the MS too), it's solved by a question of calibration, I know. Now the rudder bugs me a little, in the calibration menu, if I tap to the left it idles to "72", if I tap right it idles at "75" (this means a very good resolution for pots anyway), other problem I find in the rudder is non linear movement at the end of right movement, let's say, at 95% left it jumps to 100% (at 96%), this is very in the end of course.
The software allows calibration wich is nice, my stick (when plugged without drivers) centers a little "up").

I hope this is of use to you, and if there's anyone willing to clear me out on these issues I TIA.

IV|JG51Flatspin
08-13-2004, 10:51 PM
I can't remember who did it, but somebody in here posted a little fix for the joystick on the X45. He basically cut a little dense foam contoured to fit between the base flare of the stick and where he wanted his hand to rest. Doesn't look pretty, but works well according to the source.

I think the X52 has an adjustable hand rest, nice touch to an already fantastic stick.

.- .- .-.- .- .-
IV/JG51_Fl@spin (http://www.jg51.net)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Flatspin/FSbanner.bmp (http://www.forgottenskies.com/ForgottenWars/default.aspx)